Type keyword(s) to search

BB Past Players: Dr. Will, Maggie, Dan, Dick, et al.

I'd still like to see Jun in an All-Star season. Along with Chelsia, James from that season might be fun (the James with the Mohawk and the tattoos).

I wonder if the All Stars get higher stipends? On Survivor they get $25K just for showing up as All Stars, but BB is a much cheaper show.

I believe they do, but I don't have any idea about the amount.

I agree Frank is a lock. I just do not like him. :) I think Gina Marie will also make it. They can't have all favorites though! I also fear Elissa, Jeremy, or either Natalie could make it. Yucky.

I wonder if the All Stars get higher stipends? On Survivor they get $25K just for showing up as All Stars, but BB is a much cheaper show.

I think a huge problem with post- All Star seasons there has not been very memorable female house guests. And the fact they have already brought back 4 of them does not help. I believe they do Dr. Will would talk about it all the time during All-Stars also the ones who were not chosen by the producers or fans received  7 grand I think. Also, Janelle recieved a higher stipend then the other coaches during BB14

I'd still like to see Jun in an All-Star season. Along with Chelsia, James from that season might be fun (the James with the Mohawk and the tattoos).

I believe they do, but I don't have any idea about the amount.

They got $2000 per week in the first all stars. The going rate for newbies was $750 back then I think. Currently the newbies are getting $1000 a week.

I think James' personal life has taken too much of a non-family-show turn for him to come back. I also enjoyed him as a player but him on the feeds discussing his likes and dislikes of cocaine & heroin were a bit much for sheltered upbringing me.

Maybe they would have Devin back? He was highly enjoyable to me. I'd like some very strong women as well, so no one from this season. Amanda & GM would chew up and spit out most of the S16 cast. I think they would make Cody cry.

I think James' personal life has taken too much of a non-family-show turn for him to come back. I also enjoyed him as a player but him on the feeds discussing his likes and dislikes of cocaine & heroin were a bit much for sheltered upbringing me.

I felt like everyone on Season 9 discussed drugs all time on the feeds. Which is why I was not surprised when Adam was busted.

I feel like they could never do another All-Stars season because the tone and format of the show has shifted so drastically.

The participants in older seasons (up to about BB12) were genuine people handpicked to appear on a competitive reality show with the sincere goal of winning the grand prize. They had real lives and real jobs. Unlike now, they weren't random, interchangeable assortments of 20-something-year-old aspiring television personalities. (Imagine someone like BB3 Gerry, BB4 Jack or BB10 Renny being cast on a current season? Yeah, right.)

More recent houseguests like Zach, GinaMarie, Rachel or Frankie... They're thoroughly coached "characters" with meticulously crafted storylines. There's absolutely nothing genuine about them. They're actors, hired to fulfill specific personalities for the duration of the season. Remember last year when Amanda let it slip that production, against her wishes, had prodded her into addressing Aaryn's racism? Or even earlier this year when Nicole said she's forced to say things in the diary room that she'd never say in real life?

These two types of "players" could never interact or play alongside of each other. It'd be like a Survivor/Real Housewives crossover.

• Love 2

Out of disappointment in this season, and curiosity as to how much the show has changed since the beginning, I have watched a few episodes from Season 1 and Season 2 on YouTube.  Holy moly, it is astounding how much better the show was back then in so many ways.  Because they cast real people who weren't trying to play a role (in an attempt to be famous later), or vie for the most camera time, all the flash, smoke, mirrors and big budget filler they use now wasn't necessary.  I have watched this show since the very first episode, but had completely forgotten the details.

Watching Kent talk to Bunky about how much he's against "freaks and people who live alternative lifestyles that make him so uncomfortable", and saying that he's completely comfortable with the as-of-yet-closeted Bunky was amazing.  One of those moments that you can't believe really unfolded so perfectly, and organically.  It makes me sad to think that we have gone too far now to ever get "real" moments out of anyone in future seasons, except for real personality disorders.  Karen on Season 1 saying she didn't love or miss her husband, and then him coming to the show to tell the audience how he felt?  Raw, a little hard to watch, but genuine.  I long for the good old days of reality television that I didn't know at the time were the good old days.

eta: it's notable how much less the houseguests swore back in the old seasons.  God bless 'em.  I don't mind swearing as a general rule, but on a show that feels like it has to mute a hundred words in one conversation, it can get a little frustrating. 

Edited by Irritable
  • Love 3

The only thing I hate from the first couple of seasons is Chicken George could not stand the guy during season 1 and I hated him during All-Stars has to be one of the fakest people I have seen on reality tv.  Yes I would rather watch Frankie Grande and I detest Frankie Grande.

• Love 2

Oh my GAAAAWWWSH, don't even get me started on Chicken George.  He drove me absolutely insane, and when they brought him back for All-Stars I'm pretty sure I wailed with despair.  For me, his good-guy over the topness was actually less annoying than his simpleton act, which was sadly not an act.  He would trail off sentences with "...and everything else like that..." constantly, and I just wanted to shout into his face, "THAT PHRASE DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING.  STOP SAYING IT."  He jumps all over my nerves, and hard. 

And yet, given a choice between another season of him or Frankie, I think I would actually choose George.

• Love 1

And yet, given a choice between another season of him or Frankie, I think I would actually choose George.

You are a better person than I am. I guess with Frankie the other house guests would make fun of him, but with Chicken George every one feels bad for him.

Well, you make a good point.  At least Frankie would get evicted on Week 1 by people who already know what he's like.  George does have a way of convincing people to pity him.  I'm converted.

It says a lot about how vile the houseguests have become, a little more year by year, and now that I am watching Season 2, I'm finding Mike Boogie to be absolutely charming.  Going back in time like this is proving to be a really eye-opening psychological experiment for me!

• Love 2

It says a lot about how vile the houseguests have become, a little more year by year, and now that I am watching Season 2, I'm finding Mike Boogie to be absolutely charming.  Going back in time like this is proving to be a really eye-opening psychological experiment for me!

Mike Boogie is a strange guy. When he is just "Mike" he is a nice and intelligent guy. On the feeds in S7 he had some interesting stories and I liked him better than Will. When he is "Boogie" which is essentially how he is on the edited show I can't stand the guy. Also, he fits in your  category of people you can't stand. He said on Rob Has a Podcast he tried out on Big Brother because he thought it would get him acting roles like Colleen Haskell received from being on Survivor and Commercial Roles like Survivor Reebok commercial.

• Love 1

Yeah, she was really something. There were a couple of other houseguests who were compared to Amber S2 because of all the crying they did (and not Victoria or Jocasta!), but Amber reigns supreme. 

Maybe they would have Devin back? He was highly enjoyable to me. I'd like some very strong women as well, so no one from this season. Amanda & GM would chew up and spit out most of the S16 cast. I think they would make Cody cry.

Oh, I wasn't aware of James's problems. You're right, that would not happen. Ugh, Adam and Matt. 

Devin might be interesting—could he tone his game down, or would he fall into the same emotional trap? 

Yep, no contest. George's home town went absolutely crazy over him. I think he became a local celebrity, appearing in parades and such, for a few years after. 

The participants in older seasons (up to about BB12) were genuine people handpicked to appear on a competitive reality show with the sincere goal of winning the grand prize. They had real lives and real jobs. Unlike now, they weren't random, interchangeable assortments of 20-something-year-old aspiring television personalities. (Imagine someone like BB3 Gerry, BB4 Jack or BB10 Renny being cast on a current season? Yeah, right.)

Looking back at older seasons I can really see the difference in casts then and now. They've gotten younger and more attractive over the years. I agree, they've lost something by doing that. 

They did a tiebreak question on Season 2 with 9 people left that was "what is the total age of all remaining players?" and the average was over 30!!!  The AVERAGE!!! That's so different.  I think it is a shocking difference now with mainly 23-25 year olds.  If you think of mental maturity at 23-25 vs 26-28 vs 29-31... well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I was a completely different person in those age groups.  Everything is so flashy and pretty and loud now (get off my lawn!). BB should take a hint from Survivor, which I think just finished one of the best seasons ever with older lady Kass, awkward Spencer and older guy Tony.  One does not need to cast models and actors to have an entertaining show.

I don't want to see ANY houseguests from Season 15, that was the far worse than Season 16.  In fact, I don't want to see anyone from Season 16 on all-stars either.  The last 2 years on Big Brother has been awful.

I'll take anyone from Season 5, Season 6 (Howie) and Rachel; Season 8 (Jen), Season 9 (Chelsia), Season 10 (Keesha, definitely), Renny (what happened to the "old people"?), Season 11 (Ronnie), Season 12 (Enzo), and Season 14 (Frank).

I can't believe how addicted I have become to watching Season 2 again on YouTube.  The shoestring budget is quite funny after all these seasons of what now looks like a million dollar set (not really, but you know...) for every competition.  One of the HoH competitions was Step Forward, Step Back - they just had everyone put on a paper blindfold, stand on a little mat they each laid down in the yard, and then step on or off the mat depending on their answer to a trivia question.  Probably cost production about $7.50 total.

What messes with my head a little is that due to my lack of memory for the details (it's surprising to me how much I didn't remember at all, I thought I had a pretty solid memory of this season but really I only retained some highlights), I find myself starting to like someone, and then wonder, "Wait...should I like this person?  Did they end up sucking later on?  Did I dislike them the first time around?  Are my opinions just skewed by the vile people I can compare them to from later seasons?"  I've weirdly lost confidence in my ability to form my own opinions - for Krista especially...I'm loving her so far.  I think her New Orleans accent is just so lovely, I could listen to it all day long.  She's kind, she doesn't seem stupid (except when she's drunk and is okay with men holding a knife to her throat), she's honest.  I feel like I can't trust this feeling, and that I should not allow myself to like her because I'll feel dumb for it later.  Strange sensation, that. 

Still think Shannon's a total bitch, again, this time around.  Horrible woman.

• Love 5

I bet several of them went to therapy! I thought it was very interesting how Bunky very specifically called out Hardy for being "at least 20%" gay and he was 100% correct. This season, just tonight, Frankie did the same about Cody. Time will tell I suppose!

Has Hardy come out of the closet or something?! What did I miss?

Somebody above mentioned Amber and her crying. Holy shit the crying. And the praying. The praying got a little annoying to me but when she said, multiple times during her many prayer sessions..."god bless you god", I laughed harder than I've ever laughed before.

Didn't she also think she could be a model and wanted to go on America Next Top Model?

What season was that? I'm always amazed that you guys can remember who was on what season. The only one I remember is Dr. Will being on season 2.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 1

Somebody above mentioned Amber and her crying. Holy shit the crying. And the praying. The praying got a little annoying to me but when she said, multiple times during her many prayer sessions..."god bless you god", I laughed harder than I've ever laughed before.

Didn't she also think she could be a model and wanted to go on America Next Top Model?

Remember when she kept saying a deserving nice person should win and than votes for Dick at the end.

WOW.  Okay, so I take back where I said Krista was smart, because I just watched her answer "mushrooms" to a question that she knew was in the category of fruit.

Am I supposed to dislike Kent, still?  I find his friendship with Bunky sweet, and am giving him credit for opening his mind and heart enough to be able to love Bunky for who he is.  He came into the house a bigot, and that's gross, but I can't help but be so happy that he was willing to accept and appreciate that Bunky is a great person even though it went against his disgusting beliefs to the contrary.  Isn't that all we want from homophobes?  I can't remember if Kent was a forever-villain, or if the general consensus was that he came out a whole lot better than he was when he went in.

Just started watching BB 11. Oh my gawd it is polar opposite of this season. I'm only on week 2 and already there are screaming matches, people throwing each other under the bus left and right, Chima calling out the racism on live TV, my jaw actually dropped since it was all swept under the rug last season. My favorite is Ronnie barricading himself in the HOH room, lol!I thought I would detest Jeff and Jordan, but I actually find them charming.

This is what BB is about, not the crap that we are getting this season.

• Love 2

I loved Jordan her first season, and absolutely rooted for her to win, especially since I found Natalie to be especially loathsome. Jeff? Eh, take him or leave him, although I'm ashamed to admit I loved it when he was voted the completely unfair perk of undoing Chima's HOH, if only because it resulted in Jessie being booted, and the most glorious reaction to someone leaving the house ever.

And when that weasel Donny "hid" in the HOH room? Loved it. Also especially loved Jordan (who was actually pretty close to him in the beginning, and was the most 'betrayed' on him flipping) calmly telling him how he sucked and she wasn't interested in anything he was selling when he was whining to her about her hating him for lying to her and flipping on her. That moment alone, when she was at the bottom and he thought he was with the "cool kids" made me so happy when she won it all.

Of course, then Jordan had to be part of this whole "Jeff and Jordan" nonsense, and came back to all-stars and was a bit of an entitled brat, and now I'm over her. It's why I HATE all star seasons. These people can't stand up to more than one summer's scrutiny. They all start to tarnish for me. The odd example is Dan. I was rooting 100% for Keesha his winning season, and found him boring, but became a huge fan his second season.

• Love 1

Irritable, I'm also watching Season 2 (albeit slowly), and I've had the same reactions, especially about the low-budget feel of it all!  That tiny little HOH room kills me every time I see it.  And I am now questioning my judgment in people because I find Boogie totally charming a lot of the time.  Used to despise him, but maybe that opinion was more from the all-stars season(s) he did, when he was a total d-bag.  

This show has really turned in to a boring summer of famewhores.  Not just this season, but the last few, I think.  I think we need more diversity in the cast, REAL diversity, not these caricatures that we've been getting.  The one flamboyant gay guy, the one super religious one-note black lady, the one big strong black guy...it's ridiculous.  Diversity isn't just about demographics; it's about people with different backgrounds and beliefs and hopes and dreams.  I hate the casting on this show of late. 

• Love 1

I still like Jordan. She certainly had her bratty moments, but she's still nicer than 98% of the people who usually appear on this show. I don't like Jeff much individually, but I find him and Jordan amusing together. Some of the conversations they had back in BB11 were comedy gold.

• Love 1

I loved Season 11, by far the best post all-star season! I have always preferred Jordan over Jeff. I loved their backyard conversations in BB11 absolutely hilarious. I think Jordan was one of the most real house guests on this show after All-Stars.  I think its great she likes to prefer to hangout with her friends rather than reality people. And the only people besides Jeff she talks to from Big Brother are Laura and Casey both pre-jury boots from her season who both seemed like regular people.

ETA I did like the fact Jeff never badmouthed Jordan in the DR and to other house guests. Or was only into her to get her vote. After what Mike Boogie did to Erika and the fiasco of season 9 with guys treating girls like dirt. It was nice to see a guy genuinely into a girl for once.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 3

I loved Season 11, by far the best post all-star season! I have always preferred Jordan over Jeff. I loved their backyard conversations in BB11 absolutely hilarious. I think Jordan was

one of the most real house guests on this show

after All-Stars. I think its great she likes to

prefer to hangout with her friends rather than

reality people. And the only people besides Jeff

she talks to from Big Brother are Laura and

Casey both pre-jury boots from her season who

both seemed like regular people.

ETA I did like the fact Jeff never badmouthed Jordan in the DR and to other house guests. Or was only into her to get her vote. After what Mike Boogie did to Erika and the fiasco of

season 9 with guys treating girls like dirt. It was

nice to see a guy genuinely into a girl for

once.

Jeff and Jordan are also good friends with Brendon and Rachel.

Jeff and Jordan are also good friends with Brendon and Rachel.

Interesting I always thought that because they were at Brendon and Rachel's wedding, but when they asked Jeff and Jordan who they talked to from Big Brother they both left out Brendon and Rachel which I thought was weird. I know Rachel has said she likes to keep in touch with everyone. I know Jeff still talks to Russell I always thought those two would be good friens outside the game, but never in the game.

Edited by choclatechip45

I watched an episode of Rob Has a Podcast today with Matt Hoffman and Ian - I think I'd like to add Matt to my All star wants list. I just like smart people, and he is quick witted. I don't know if his constant smack talk about CBS, production and the show as a whole helps his case though.

I watched an episode of Rob Has a Podcast today with Matt Hoffman and Ian - I think I'd like to add Matt to my All star wants list. I just like smart people, and he is quick witted. I don't know if his constant smack talk about CBS, production and the show as a whole helps his case though.

I was thinking the same thing, his wife also smack talked Alison Grodner.  They did have him in the Brigade segment during Season 14.

Interesting I always thought that because they were at Brendon and Rachel's wedding, but when they asked Jeff and Jordan who they talked to from Big Brother they both left out

Brendon and Rachel which I thought was weird.

I know Rachel has said she likes to keep in

touch with everyone. I know Jeff still talks to

Russell I always thought those two would be

good friens outside the game, but never in the

game.

Hmm. Maybe I just assumed. I could've sworn they hung out together recently, but I might have imagined that. Perhaps they see each other occasionally but aren't super close.

Hmm. Maybe I just assumed. I could've sworn they hung out together recently, but I might have imagined that. Perhaps they see each other occasionally but aren't super close.

That would make sense they asked who from season 11 Jordan said Laura and Casey occasionally. Jeff talks to Russell. And they both said no one from season 13. So I think your right they might not be super close.

Honestly?I think out of all the past BB contestants....Jamie Kern of season one has been the most successful....she has built a huge beauty empire...and any of us girls who use makeup know of "It Cosmetics"

https://www.itcosmetics.com/

I still long for the days of old...when BB actually had real...well as close to real as we could get.

I don't like Jeff much individually, but I find him and Jordan amusing together. Some of the conversations they had back in BB11 were comedy gold.

So true!  They showed a clip of the squirrel conversation on the show tonight, and it had me in stitches all over again.  

• Love 1

I was re-watching parts of season 2 and I'd forgotten how many personalities there were. Its the opposite of now where everyone is kind of bland and generic except one or two standouts.  I had also forgotten how early Chilltown got sent out given how memorable they were.  Shannon scrubbed the toilet with Hardy's toothbrush by week three.  Will had the house under his control enough to make everyone fast for 24 hours before the first eviction.  All but Will didn't make it half way through the season.

Here is a little lesson I'll share with you.  If your computer shuts off while watching BB2 make sure it its truly dead instead of just mostly dead.  And whatever you do don't shove it under your bed because you are too lazy to put it away.  Because I've got to tell you, nothing is more disturbing than when it suddenly comes back on to the sound of Kent snoring.

• Love 5

I've watched several, including Keesha's birthday party -- and what struck me is at least compared to this season, how few DR segements there were. Keesha's birthday party happened with only a couple DRs from Jessie to set the scene and one from April to give her POV. Nobody else felt the need to re-narrate what was being narrated. Same with (ugh) Dick and Daniele vs. Zach for final HoH part 1 (where Dick hung on for seven hours to prove his love for his daughter or something). One expository DR and then, the scene just played out. Whereas this year, I feel that there are DR segments every other minute: we see something and then somebody immediately explains it in the DR. Segments are edited less like a documentary and more like a news magazine (with the DR acting as the "correspondent").

I wonder what the impetus for change was. Did they think viewers couldn't understand the houseguests yelling at each other, and felt the need to always have the exposition fairy explain to the dumb viewing audience what was happening? Did they decide viewers didn't like the longer segments and wanted more DR segments (after, for example, Britney's humorous DRs became popular -- and not just confined to a gimmick, like Chilltown's DRs)?

I think that format has been in place since at least season 8, when AG took over but it was probably used to give a lot of time to those "hilarious" Chilltown phone calls. They use the DRs like a mockumentary sitcom. I like a funny competitor but when they start bringing props like huge, nicely-lettered signs, I start thinking about production writing DRs and planning these things with the HG they want to charm "America".

I don't think there will be a second All-Star season. Survivor has ditched All-Star seasons in favor of finding ways of finding themes that bring back various vets. I think BB has already followed a similar path, except they've done it in ways that continue to push AG's pets.

If we had another All-Star season, AG would probably face pressure to include fan favorites who weren't her pets like Jen Johnson.

Not really sure where this goes, but Does anyone else find Ian's obsession with dating Nicole extremely creepy?

No creepier than him wanting to date Ashley.

And by that I mean - yeah, both were extremely f***in' creepy.

• Love 1

No creepier than him wanting to date Ashley.

And by that I mean - yeah, both were extremely f***in' creepy.

True or his obsession with Jessie last year.

Who will go down as making a bigger mistake Howie or Christine? Both believed people who  wanted them to turn on their allies. I guess you can throw Jeff in the mix. I don't think Jeff would of have ever gotten to the final 2 on BB11.  The funny part is Christine said Howie was her favorite player.

I never knew people didn't like Ian! I liked him on the show and like him now. Did I think he should win? Of course not. But he's alright.

You're not alone. I like Ian too. I did, however, get annoyed that it took him a little too long to realize that he alone won by default -- no one was gonna give it to Dan twice, even if he deserved it (and I think Danielle would have beaten Dan, too, as crazy as that is).