Type keyword(s) to search

RW Homecoming: New Orleans (2022)

• Start Topic

(edited)
13 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

When people were criticizing what Matt’s views on gay people you said that Danny was wrong to call Tokyo violent.  Putting aside that Danny didn’t call all Black people violent, many gay people would not have the same opinion as Danny so it’s not an equivalency.

I was responding to someone who said Melissa would feel differently if she was gay about Matt. Well I think Danny wouldn't have called Tokyo violent if he were black. Danny has a history of saying things before he thinks  how it can effect someone else's life. He did it years ago when he outed another cast member and he did it to Tokyo by calling him violent. 

I don't like the way Matt treated Danny in 2000. I also don't think Danny has the moral high ground either. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 3
(edited)
6 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I was responding to someone who said Melissa would feel differently if she was gay about Matt. Well I think Danny wouldn't have called Tokyo violent if he were black. Danny has a history of saying things before he thinks  how it can effect someone else's life. He did it years ago when he outed another cast member and he did it to Tokyo by calling him violent. 

I don't like the way Matt treated Danny in 2000. I also don't think Danny has the moral high ground either. 

Fair enough.  I just want to stress that Matt’s indefensible views about an entire group are not the same as Danny’s indefensible view about a specific person in a specific situation.  I was disappointed by what Danny said. To be honest he seemed almost as drunk as Julie if not equally so and was belligerent at the club. Tokyo was simply trying to be a good friend. 

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I was responding to someone who said Melissa would feel differently if she was gay about Matt. Well I think Danny wouldn't have called Tokyo violent if he were black.  Danny has a history of saying things before he thinks  how it can effect someone else's life. He did it years ago when he outed another cast member and he did it to Tokyo by calling him violent. 

After the expanded look we've gotten at Danny post-RW life and all the fear and paranoia he still carries from the Don't Ask, Don't Tell era and his relationship with Paul coinciding with such a public interest in him, it really is shocking that he would've outed the cast member he hooked up with, especially given that the guy is now married to a woman and has children. That kind of a revelation could certainly have major ripple effects in that person's life and Danny certainly can't pretend he isn't aware of that. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Fair enough.  I just want to stress that Matt’s indefensible views about an entire group are not the same as Danny’s indefensible view about a specific person in a specific situation.  I was disappointed by what Danny said. To be honest he seemed almost as drunk as Julie if not equally so and was belligerent at the club. Tokyo was simply trying to be a good friend. 

That is why I am waiting for next week to judge Matt on how he reacts to Danny. I don't think Matt has done anything homophobic yet (and a big yet). It sounds like based on interviews 1) none of the cast members trusted production based on past experiences on The Challenge/The original season and 2) the drag queen club night was sprung on them very last minute like hey you are leaving in 5 minutes after a jam packed day.  I can see why Matt shut down the conversation in his confessional and why he wouldn't want to go to a drag queen club night and just want to facetime with his wife.  My issue was with his comment oh this looks innocent. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Cherry Cola said:

Yes it is. If someone is wanting tolerance for their beliefs but doesn't tolerate someone else's different beliefs...thats  hypocrisy. 

A little late to the party here, but I would really recommend googling the paradox of tolerance. To copy and paste from wikipedia: The paradox of tolerance states that if a society is tolerant without limit, its ability to be tolerant is eventually seized or destroyed by the intolerant. Karl Popper described it as the seemingly paradoxical idea that in order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must retain the right to be intolerant of intolerance.

If Matt's beliefs about gay people are intolerant, not tolerating them isn't hypocritical; it's self-protective. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

What did Matt say that was hateful to a whole group?

2 hours ago, Cherry Cola said:

What did Matt say that was hateful to a whole group?

He has said before that being gay is a sin and that Danny should pray to become straight.  And now he says that his views have not changed.  Are you being coy?

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

He has said before that being gay is a sin and that Danny should pray to become straight.  And now he says that his views have not changed.  Are you being coy?

No, I'm not being coy.  Thank u for asking. I was curious what he exactly had said. I haven't watched the original in ages and don't remember, is all.  

18 minutes ago, Cherry Cola said:

No, I'm not being coy.  Thank u for asking. I was curious what he exactly had said. I haven't watched the original in ages and don't remember, is all.  

They showed the clip.

• Love 1

I judge Matt's carbon footprint with his brood of kids and weird affected way of talking.  But he seems nice enough.  He would probably have the same reaction to me as a gay man.  I'm fine with Melissa finding common ground with him on family issues and agreeing to disagreeing with him on this issue (I am assuming she disagrees).  I'm fine with Danny challenging him on his views.  One of my best friend's husband was a Best Man in a gay wedding despite being personally against gay marriage.  People are complicated... I think Danny and Matt will be able to have this discussion and leave on a civil note.

• Love 4
(edited)

Some of Melissa's followers on her social media were coming after Danny for "whiteness protecting its own" and similar buzzword-laden charges, and Melissa backed that shit off hard, in a multi-part response. She said the couch discussion was a long conversation of which we saw only an excerpt, that Danny really didn't see everything that happened that night, that he said other things in the discussion that weren't shown, and that she had no beef at all with him.

And even in the edited portion, I didn't get "Tokyo, you were violent" out of what he was saying. He was talking about the overall situation of there being no discussion, just suddenly "We're leaving," and his perception of that might not have been the best. Noisy environment, people scattered around, various levels of intoxication, etc. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

You have been defending him at length and you don’t even know what he said?

I have been asking why all the hate.. you do recall I asked what he said, right?

And saying if people want their views respected, others views need to be respected as well. 

Edited by Cherry Cola
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, Cherry Cola said:

I have been asking why all the hate.. you do recall I asked what he said, right?

And saying if people want their views respected, others views need to be respected as well. 

This is getting circular, I’m done.

• Love 4

Hatred and bigotry should never be respected.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

Agreed. I am seeing lots of hate to Matt on here. 

Anyway...

Jamie did not want to be talking to Julie about all that old lovin stuff. He looked like he wanted to be anywhere but there.  

• Love 1

Hey y'all, a quick reminder to be civil in discussions with other posters. The Real World often brings up serious topics and discussion of those can be good as long as we keep any snippiness towards other posters out of it. If you're looking for some extra resources on terminology around the LGBTQ+ community, GLAAD has a helpful reference guide. Thanks!

• Love 5

So... after reading an online article about Julie getting sloppy drunk and the discussion of racism that ensued, I caved in and got the free Paramount trial. I just finished episode 5 and have read most of the comments related to Homecoming Season 3. Personally, I think the lives and conversations of fortysomethings are far more interesting to eavesdrop on than the lives of twentysomethings. And I'm not just saying that because I'm in my late 40s. Even when I was watching New Orleans in its original run, I had little patience for the immaturity of the cast. I felt this way about every season but still watched them all. 

I'm glad to see the redemption of The Artist Formerly Known as David because even back in 2000, I sensed that he had some good qualities that just weren't finding their correct expression at that time. And on a shallow note, Jamie has aged into someone who looks like a slimmer, darker-haired version of Phiilip Seymour Hoffman. (I think it's the mouth.) Julie is one of the most pathologically complicated basic bitches I've ever seen in my life. And although some have mentioned that it's sad to see Danny/Dan without his 'sparkle,' I like this newer, wryer version of Danny much better.

I always thought Melissa was clever, and she still is. I see that Kelley has fulfilled her dream of becoming the white Oprah, at least in her own mind, but she bothers me much less now than she did in 2000. Like Tokyo, she has kind eyes.

Matt is exactly the same. That's about all I can say about that.

• Love 12

On a lighter Matt-related note, I laughed at the Arizona scene (presumably shot pre-Homecoming) in which he's holding hands with his wife and praying for the other cast members. He can only remember four of six ("Doggone it, I forgot everybody!"), and one of the ones he goes blank on is Julie, who was pursuing him all season. The other is David/Tokyo, another friendship we saw a good amount of. Admittedly, the friendship was a bit one-sided on Matt's part. 

He gets Kelley, Danny, Melissa, and Jamie, in that order. 

Julie had such a strong reaction to Melissa not remembering that they had both lived in Los Angeles and that Melissa had visited her place, I wonder what her reaction was to Matt having trouble even coming up with her name as a cast member of Real World New Orleans. She was the star! She was making good TV! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I went back and watched the original scene from the original series. Matt said to Danny, to talk to God about it. Danny said he feels he does have a relationship with God. Matt then says, I don't cringe, I don't think, Oh that Danny is going to hell.  Then goes on to say, he has his beliefs, but he is not judging Danny. And that he is not condeming him. He supports him. 

Where is the hate there? 

39 minutes ago, Cherry Cola said:

I went back and watched the original scene from the original series. Matt said to Danny, to talk to God about it. Danny said he feels he does have a relationship with God. Matt then says, I don't cringe, I don't think, Oh that Danny is going to hell.  Then goes on to say, he has his beliefs, but he is not judging Danny. And that he is not condeming him. He supports him. 

Where is the hate there? 

The clip shown was a never before seen clip not a clip from the original series.  So you aren’t watching the correct scene.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

So - does Danny have a sponsorship with Carhartt? Nearly every scene - a Carhartt tee shirt ;). 

While I can understand Matt feeling like he needed to bow out of the Tarot reading, he could have done it without his self-righteous babble. Just say "I'm going to sit this one out, have fun guys" and go upstairs. We all know why he's skipping it. He does seem to be able to be nice, but there is an undercurrent of judgement that I would not be comfortable being around personally.

Anywho. I'm really enjoying these reunion seasons - I'm old enough to have watched S1 the first time it aired - it's fun seeing the old casts.

• Love 12

I listened to Danny on Danny Pellegrinos podcast this week and it was a very cute interview. When asked about Julie and whether she’s just trying to be a “good” reality show character Danny said he thinks there’s a “pathology” there that goes far beyond that.  I still go back and forth but I tend to agree with him - it’s not just for show. He also said the producers basically forced him into the Paul reunion. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

On a lighter Matt-related note, I laughed at the Arizona scene (presumably shot pre-Homecoming) in which he's holding hands with his wife and praying for the other cast members. He can only remember four of six ("Doggone it, I forgot everybody!"), and one of the ones he goes blank on is Julie, who was pursuing him all season. The other is David/Tokyo, another friendship we saw a good amount of. Admittedly, the friendship was a bit one-sided on Matt's part. 

He gets Kelley, Danny, Melissa, and Jamie, in that order. 

Julie had such a strong reaction to Melissa not remembering that they had both lived in Los Angeles and that Melissa had visited her place, I wonder what her reaction was to Matt having trouble even coming up with her name as a cast member of Real World New Orleans. She was the star! She was making good TV! 

At first I was super confused why Matt and his wife named their kids after each real world roommate then I figured out he was praying for his roommates. 

• LOL 9
42 minutes ago, BodhiGurl said:

While I can understand Matt feeling like he needed to bow out of the Tarot reading, he could have done it without his self-righteous babble. Just say "I'm going to sit this one out, have fun guys" and go upstairs. We all know why he's skipping it. He does seem to be able to be nice, but there is an undercurrent of judgement that I would not be comfortable being around personally.

To be fair, we would have had about 60% less of Matt's thoughts on that topic if Melissa hadn't gone upstairs to talk to him before the tarot reading began. And the producers probably encourage that kind of scene. 

I did appreciate that he was polite to Elie.

I think of Matt as a person who has very different beliefs from mine, and his ideal version of America and the world would not be one I would want to see as reality, but he's fundamentally decent and sincere. I remember him trying so hard to maintain a friendship with David/Tokyo when most of the others in the house had written him off as an abrasive jerk, and David/Tokyo had so little in common with Matt, with his "playa" lifestyle at that time. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

I remember him trying so hard to maintain a friendship with David/Tokyo when most of the others in the house had written him off as an abrasive jerk, and David/Tokyo had so little in common with Matt, with his "playa" lifestyle at that time. 

By far, Matt's greatest moment in the original series is when he told Tokyo he'd thought about how he'd feel if the cast consisted of Matt, one half-white biracial person, and five Black people, and realized Tokyo must feel out of place in his own home.

So he's capable of looking at things from someone else's reality and empathizing with their different experience.  He's just never shown any inclination towards doing so with Danny, due to the fundamental difference that he understands being Black is an innate characteristic, but he thinks any sexual orientation other than heterosexuality is unnatural, a wrong "choice", and something to be prayed away. 

• Love 14

The clip shown was a never before seen clip not a clip from the original series.  So you aren’t watching the correct scene.

Yup.

Also, my comment wasn't specific to Danny, but in general in response to saying that if people want their views respected, others views need to be respected as well. No. Not all views (hatred, racism, homophobia, etc) need to be respected.

But with regards to Matt:

he thinks any sexual orientation other than heterosexuality is unnatural, a wrong "choice", and something to be prayed away. 

Fuck that.

• Love 10
On 5/20/2022 at 1:01 PM, choclatechip45 said:

Danny decided to label Tokyo as violent and sided with Julie. I don't think Danny would have used that label if he weren't white.

I wouldn’t say that he labeled Tokyo as violent or that he sided with Julie. He said that getting them to leave was forceful and a “bit violent” but that he saw where Tokyo was coming from and that Julie needed to leave. I really don’t agree with him on the violent part but his take was more nuanced than just siding with Julie. 

I’m sure your right that he wouldn’t have said what he did if he wasn’t white but the same idea applies to almost everyone. If Tokyo wasn’t a man he probably would have realized how a woman would feel being grabbed and carried against their will. I think the more important thing is if people are willing to listen and learn from others. Based on what Melissa has said I feel like Danny is the type who would. I also think that if Julie had approached Tokyo in a reasonable manner about how she felt being grabbed he would have been receptive. 

20 minutes ago, TheMediumBopper said:

There are some things in life that you just wish you could unhear. Julie uttering the phrase "my first orgasm" would be one of them. 

Followed by the revelation of her newfound habit after experiencing said orgasm. 😣

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Dani said:

Based on what Melissa has said I feel like Danny is the type who would.

I'm too lazy to go find it, but I remember she said on Twitter Danny told her afterward he should have kept his white-ass mouth shut.

I don't know if he ever specifically addressed the implications of him using the word "violent", though.  That was inappropriate, and I cringed even more when Julie, of course, latched onto it with a big "Thank you!", believing he'd just validated her narrative.

He comes across as maybe not doing a lot of work proactively, but willing to check his white and male privilege when pointed out to him.  Julie, on the other hand, is just nothing but defensive denial even when her white and/or straight privilege is painstakingly (and calmly, lest they get labeled Angry) explained.  She was far less combative in that early conversation with Tokyo (in their bedroom, back in the beginning, when he pointed out opportunities like the speaking circuit don't come around for people like Melissa and Danny the way they do for people like her), but her takeaway was just some deflecting "It's on me" show of faux responsibility if "her team" did them dirty.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Julie, of course, latched onto it with a big "Thank you!", believing he'd just validated her narrative.

If Julie is thanking you then you know you did something wrong.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

If Julie is thanking you then you know you did something wrong.

Exactly.  Hopefully that was the moment that clued him in he'd said the wrong thing.  It's hard to know from condensed footage and scattered social media comments how that played out.  As presented, it was quite disappointing of Danny; even though just one word, it carries a lot of weight.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Exactly.  Hopefully that was the moment that clued him in he'd said the wrong thing.  It's hard to know from condensed footage and scattered social media comments how that played out.  As presented, it was quite disappointing of Danny; even though just one word, it carries a lot of weight.

One could argue that if anyone acted “violently” it was Julie trying to break out of the bear hug.  It’s not like she was fighting off some attacker on the street.

(edited)

Danny's problem is that he runs his mouth and doesn't understand the implication of his words ie outing someone on Watch What Happens Live.

I like Danny, but I doubt I would be friends with him in real life. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, choclatechip45 said:

Danny's problem is that he runs his mouth and doesn't understand the implication of his words ie outing someone on Watch What Happens Live.

Never mind, question answered.

Edited by TheMediumBopper
(edited)
4 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I like Danny, but I doubt I would be friends with him in real life. 

I was googling this and it appears that he just said he hooked up with a male cast member from The Challenge who identifies as straight and had since married.  So that could have applied to at least four guys.  So it was like a blind item on a gossip page, people could speculate but he didn’t identity any specific person.  Also if a straight person has sex with the same gender it doesn’t necessarily make them gay.  People do it for curiosity, for pay, etc.  So the fact that someone had sex with the same gender one time doesn’t make them gay or make referring to it outing them as gay.

Edited by MrBuhBye
(edited)
42 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

I was googling this and it appears that he just said he hooked up with a male cast member from The Challenge who identifies as straight and had since married.  So that could have applied to at least four guys.  So it was like a blind item on a gossip page, people could speculate but he didn’t identity any specific person.  Also if a straight person has sex with the same gender it doesn’t necessarily make them gay.  People do it for curiosity, for pay, etc.  So the fact that someone had sex with the same gender one time doesn’t make them gay or make referring to it outing them as gay.

There is only one guy who dated Trishelle who was on The Battle of The Seasons and who was on Road Rules. So no it did not apply to 4 guys it applied to one. Danny later said he gave away enough information that everyone got it correct. He also said he heard from the guy who was pretty pissed off about the whole situation. I think what he did was gross. People can defend it whatever way they want because Danny is a likable guy, but I think it's even grosser especially with all the anxiety he experienced with everything with Paul. 

I like Danny. He's one of my favorite real worlders, but he is human like the rest of us. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 6
51 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

There is only one guy who dated Trishelle who was on The Battle of The Seasons and who was on Road Rules. So no it did not apply to 4 guys it applied to one. Danny later said he gave away enough information that everyone got it correct. He also said he heard from the guy who was pretty pissed off about the whole situation. I think what he did was gross. People can defend it whatever way they want because Danny is a likable guy, but I think it's even grosser especially with all the anxiety he experienced with everything with Paul. 

I like Danny. He's one of my favorite real worlders, but he is human like the rest of us. 

But if he didn’t say the guy was gay he wasn’t outing him.  Sexual activity and sexual orientation are not interchangeable.  Was he indiscreet?  Perhaps.  But he didn’t out anyone and outing someone is a serious accusation.  Also this hasn’t been covered in any of the episodes so I don’t know that the topic belongs here.

9 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

But if he didn’t say the guy was gay he wasn’t outing him.  Sexual activity and sexual orientation are not interchangeable.  Was he indiscreet?  Perhaps.  But he didn’t out anyone and outing someone is a serious accusation.  Also this hasn’t been covered in any of the episodes so I don’t know that the topic belongs here.

It's been brought up in numerous interviews Danny has done in promoting Real World Homecoming. I have a feeling if one of his straight cast members did what Danny did people would not be as forgiving. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

It's been brought up in numerous interviews Danny has done in promoting Real World Homecoming. I have a feeling if one of his straight cast members did what Danny did people would not be as forgiving. 

I’m sure if someone had a one night stand with a married person that person would rather it be a secret but it wouldn’t be outing.

• Love 1
(edited)
26 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

I’m sure if someone had a one night stand with a married person that person would rather it be a secret but it wouldn’t be outing.

Person wasn't married when the hookup occurred. He was married when Danny decided to tell everyone about the hookup. The person was upset Danny shared a hookup years later on a television show when the audience and everyone in that person life knew they were straight. No one knows if the person is straight or gay now because they have not commented on it. So it seems a bit presumptuous for you to know 100% that they are straight. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Person wasn't married when the hookup occurred. He was married when Danny decided to tell everyone about the hookup. The person was upset Danny shared a hookup years later on a television show when the audience and everyone in that person life knew they were straight. No one knows if the person is straight or gay now because they have not commented on it. So it seems a bit presumptuous for you to know 100% that they are straight. 

I never said the other guy was married during the hookup.  The part you misquoted was a hypothetical of a situation where the sexual partner also might not want the world to know about a hookup.  I’m not defending Danny, it is rude to kiss and tell.  But calling it outing someone as gay is a gross misrepresentation.

(edited)

Thinking about Jamie, I think the reason I like him better in the Homecoming season is that he's lost the smugness. Back in 2000, he was defensive about his privilege (right from the clash with Kameelah in the casting special), yet he kept bringing up driving a BMW, and if anyone had a problem with him, he ascribed it to jealousy and people wanting to see him fail. In the book, he keeps talking about which housemates he would hire for his company or were going to be working for him, his dad would give David a job, etc. He was a little too into an idea of himself as a "scion" for whom everything was going to go well. 

It's not that I ever want bad things to happen to people on Real World, even when I don't like them, but maybe Soulgear not shooting into the stratosphere was good growth for him. That's keeping in mind that "failure" for a Jamie is always going to be a softer landing than it is for a lot of the rest of us.

Edited by Asp Burger
Closing quotation marks.
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

Thinking about Jamie, I think the reason I like him better in the Homecoming season is that he's lost the smugness. Back in 2000, he was defensive about his privilege (right from the clash with Kameelah in the casting special), yet he kept bringing up driving a BMW, and if anyone had a problem with him, he ascribed it to jealousy and people wanting to see him fail. In the book, he keeps talking about which housemates he would hire for his company or were going to be working for him, his dad would give David a job, etc. He was a little too into an idea of himself as a "scion' for whom everything was going to go well. 

It's not that I ever want bad things to happen to people on Real World, even when I don't like them, but maybe Soulgear not shooting into the stratosphere was good growth for him. That's keeping in mind that "failure" for a Jamie is always going to be a softer landing than it is for a lot of the rest of us.

Yes! I remember Jamie talking in the book about how Matt was going to do web design for him, Melissa was going to work on a women's line for him, he had offered jobs to David and Julie, and had given shares of the company to everyone in the cast. Not sure how long it took before Soulgear fizzled out and he moved on to the next. I remember there was also a lot in the book about people being annoyed because Jamie wanted to promote his company on the show, and it made me laugh since we've seen various members of the cast wear t-shirts for Kelley's book on Homecoming.

4 hours ago, BelleBrit said:

... and it made me laugh since we've seen various members of the cast wear t-shirts for Kelley's book on Homecoming.

Is that what that 'love over worry' or whatever sweatshirt Kelley is wearing in every ep is about?