Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Good Air / Bad Air

Hank and Boris go to Argentina to meet a potential patient for Boris' clinical trial; Divya bites off more than she can chew; Russel tries to make amends with Paige. Elsewhere, Jeremia tries to talk to Viviana, and Evan asks Ray to help him expose Oz.

Divya, Divya. Not that you don't deserve it, but come ON. Don't mess with a Derevko sister. Just don't.

Nice knowing you, Viviana. Thanks for stopping by.

I heart Paige and Russell. I also am thoroughly delighted by the ongoing bromance of Boris and Hank.

The jig is up, Emma. Time to go home.

• Love 1

As much as St. Divya can be annoying, she doesn't deserve to be held hostage by Rafa's mother-- as if she's just going to leave her child! I am already pre-annoyed at where this storyline might be headed; from what we saw of Rafa before, he seemed like a totally reasonable guy and so this should be something he wouldn't approve of. However, if Rafa actually shows up, my guess is that he'll side with his mother and so I'm already annoyed even though I don't actually know what's going to happen. My crazy theory is that they will try to keep Sashi in Argentina, but then Rafa's stalker will make an appearance and kidnap Sashi (and maybe Divya) and Rafa will decide it's too dangerous and let them go back to the Hamptons.

I did find the scene on the plane hilarious; the realities of traveling with a small child.

Now that Evan knows Emma is working for SnarkHamptons, can we send Emma back to Missouri or wherever?

The pillow fight between Paige and Ray was sooooooo awkward. Are they trying to convince us that there's some underlying sexual tension between them (to help fuel Evan's paranoia)? It just seemed so weird to me.

I don't get why Viviana lied to Jeremiah. Why not tell him the truth? So she wouldn't hurt his male pride? So he wouldn't know Divya helped? It doesn't make sense to me, especially since she is supposedly leaving for PT school.

I don't think Viviana knew Divya was the one who hired the legal help. It sounded like she was thanking Jeremiah for it.

Yay! Emma is busted! Oh please, let this be a good excuse for her to slink off back where she came from. Please.

ETA: I just got the title. Buenos Aires = good air / malaria = bad air. Cute.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 4

The lawyer thing was just a bunch of overlapping misunderstandings, no one lied intentionally. Separately and unknown to each other, both Divya and Jeremiah hired expert lawyers to show up at the hearing and represent Viviana but not tell her who was responsible. Divya's lawyer made it there and helped but Jeremiah's didn't make it because of her injury. Viviana assumed the lawyer swooping in came from Jeremiah so she thanked him. Since he did send someone and didn't know yet about her accident, he accepted the thanks/credit.

Am I supposed to be panicked for poor Divya? Take Sashi to a hotel (just because she has to stay in the country does not mean she has to stay with kidnapping grandma) and call Rafa and then Hank. I am sure Boris knows someone who can help.

Love Paige and Russell! The whole business with Paige and Ray jumped the shark with the pillow fight. Beyond dumb. I am surprised Olivia didn't walk in to get the wrong idea; at least the show didn't go there.

• Love 1

"The lawyer thing was just a bunch of overlapping misunderstandings, no one lied intentionally. Separately and unknown to each other, both Divya and Jeremiah hired expert lawyers to show up at the hearing and represent Viviana but not tell her who was responsible."

D'oh! My sleepy brain didn't register that Divya was talking to a lawyer on the phone! This makes so much more sense now.

I don't know why Divya doesn't take Sashi to the American embassy, or talk to Boris and Hank, or call Rafa herself. Would Boris and Hank just leave her without any questions? (Hank wouldn't, at least.) This plotline is dumb and they're dumbing down Divya to further it along.

Edited by catray

I wonder if the shooter was actually Ray's wife who arrived early and has been spying on Ray -- assuming Paige is his mistress -- and actually tried to shoot Paige. 'Cause that's the stupidity I expect from this show.

Also, Divya did say she was going to call Rafa and the abuela's response was that she can't, he's on a plane. Divya's not dumb, but she may have been put in a bad position. I don't know the ACTUAL laws - but based on the show's description of them, she might at least be stuck there with Sashi until Raf shows up and grants permission for her to leave.

• Love 1

I wonder if the shooter was actually Ray's wife who arrived early and has been spying on Ray -- assuming Paige is his mistress -- and actually tried to shoot Paige. 'Cause that's the stupidity I expect from this show.

That's absolutely what I thought, too.

Jeremiah telling off Divya has made this the best episode of the series. Way to be appropriate and professional, Divya. Do they think we're supposed to feel bad for her?

I think they should have just had Divya off the show for a while and not have her "leave" and give her a subplot. 

Cinco suing HankMed begs a *lot* of belief. I'm just not buying it.

Also, the advice of "just don't take no for an answer," and basically stalk someone you like, is the worst, most tone deaf writing I think I've seen all year given #YesAllWomen. Terrible terrible advice.

I didn't mind Boris and Hank this time since it wasn't the silly spy show and actually addressed his illness, which has been around from the start. I'm wondering if it was scripted, but I enjoyed Boris brushing the horse and playing with the child. 

Edited by ganesh

Also, the advice of "just don't take no for an answer," and basically stalk someone you like, is the worst, most tone deaf writing I think I've seen all year given #YesAllWomen. Terrible terrible advice.

It would be horrible advice under any circumstances, but giving that advice to someone who doesn't have an affinity for reading social cues is especially dangerous. :/ But it's Evan, what would you expect?

Also, Rafa's mother is a dumbass. This is going to backfire on her big time, or at least it would if I was in Divya's position. I would be immediately taking Sashi to a hotel or to Boris' place (if he has one there) or the American embassy. We would be staying there to ride out whatever administrative steps need to be taken to unravel the snafu, and we would have ZERO contact with Rafa's mother. That would, in fact, be the beginning of an entire lifetime of allowing Sashi to have ZERO contact with Rafa's mother, including on Skype or in pictures. If Rafa wanted to send pictures when he ever deigned to visit in the US, that's his business, but she would be getting none from me.

Then, when I got back to the States (or even before), job one would be to get a lawyer working on whatever restrictions on visitation arrangements would be feasible. Definitely a ban on Sashi being able to leave the country with Rafa, for damn sure!

I know this show plays situations like this lighter than they actually are, but in real life, that would be a scary-as-hell situation to be in!

Edited by auntiemel
  • Love 1
But it's Evan, what would you expect?

I expect inconsistent characterization, which is what I got. Since Evan was smart enough to realize that he and Paige owe a lot to Ray and that price might be too high.

I really don't like babies on tv because they're really not more than plot devices. 

Why did they need to inject Divya into Jeremiah/Viv in the first place? It seems that the existing plot was a nice enough storyline for him. 

I'm routinely confused how you have a normal, fairly interesting storyline like that with the other garbage in the same episode. 

Edited by ganesh

I get that holding them against their will is bad. But Divya was going on and on about how hard everything is and she's all alone and how she wants the baby to have exposure to all of her cultural heritage. So, she can't take a leave of absence and stay there for a couple of months and let the dad visit his child? Or work out some sort of visitation?

This is very sloppy to me.

Why did they need to inject Divya into Jeremiah/Viv in the first place? It seems that the existing plot was a nice enough storyline for him.

Your prediction that Jeremiah/Divya are endgame is probably correct. The writers are following a well-worn plot. Divya alienates Jeremiah. Divya secretly does something selfless to help Jeremiah. Jeremiah is suitably softened and the road to twu wuv is open.

I am very disappointed that they're shipping Viviana off to wherever. I was hopeful that the writers would continue taking Jeremiah in a new direction and add her to the recurring cast.

Jeremiah's totally justified takedown of Divya's conduct was thrilling. She was presumptuous, insulting and she treated him as less than an adult. AFAIC, that should kill any lingering affection he has for Divya. But it won't.

I didn't like Divya's speech to Rafa's mother about how, since Sashi was born, she's making mistakes, wrong decisions, etc. She blames it all on "motherhood" and not that she's a privileged, meddling know-it-all who's learning that maybe she doesn't really know it all. And I think it was added to give the grandma-from-hell an excuse for her kidnapping. It's a speech that will probably come back to bite Divya.

Yes. Also, another example of the writers reaching for archaic cliches to drive their plots.

There was a lot of action on several fronts leading to multiple cliffhangers, but the best scenes for me were those with Boris and Hank and the Argentinian patient. It was adult conversation about things that actually matter. I wish they'd put Campbell Scott to better and more use in the show.

Edited by BungalowSummer

Well, I'd say being immersed in a spanish speaking environment even at that young is helpful. I don't think it's unreasonable that the father might want regular visitation with his child, but the way they're writing it, is of course, Divya Does No Wrong. 

I mean, she's far from essential to HankMed at this point. 

Yes. Also, another example of the writers reaching for archaic cliches to drive their plots.

Plus, that's not exactly what Evan did iirc wrt Paige anyway. 

I could tell from the moment Divya stepped foot that the grandmother was going to concoct some scheme to kidnap Sashi.

What an utterly idiotic one, though.

I am wondering how the grandmother applied for a passport for Sashi, as passports (even in Argentina!) have to be applied for with the consent both of the parents - unless there is a custody arrangement, of course.

Also, the grandmother was like "Muhahahaha you'll never get through customs now!"

Private planes don't have to go through much customs, especially if Boris tells the pilot to fly somewhere with... looser laws - maybe take a pit stop in Venezuela?

Or Boris could just bribe the customs officer.

That's why these evil plots of doom (Oh no, Ray won't let us leave the partnership! Oh no, Grandma won't let us leave the country!) aren't working for me. They have written Boris such that he can fix them with little more than a hand wave, and now that Hank and he have a bromance I figure he will.

Private planes don't have to go through much customs, especially if Boris tells the pilot to fly somewhere with... looser laws - maybe take a pit stop in Venezuela?

I figure if Boris could slip in and out of Cuba the way he did, it's not a problem for him to get Divya and the kid out of Argentina.

They have written Boris such that he can fix them with little more than a hand wave, and now that Hank and he have a bromance I figure he will.

I found "Hola caballeros!" to be hilarious and wonder if it was ad libbed as well. 

Boris is the BFG of the show though. Really, there's not much he can't fix. 

Your prediction that Jeremiah/Divya are endgame is probably correct. The writers are following a well-worn plot. Divya alienates Jeremiah. Divya secretly does something selfless to help Jeremiah. Jeremiah is suitably softened and the road to twu wuv is open.

I am very disappointed that they're shipping Viviana off to wherever. I was hopeful that the writers would continue taking Jeremiah in a new direction and add her to the recurring cast.

I was expecting Jeremiah to marry Viviana to keep her from being deported. Of course, then Divya would realize that she's in love with Jeremiah once he's no longer available. This would go on for awhile (until the final season if possible),

and then one episode ends with a knock on Jeremiah's door, and a shocked expression on Viviana's face when she sees the first husband and love of her life, who everyone assumed was dead. Jeremiah will then be free for Divya as the series ends.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 1

I am wondering how the grandmother applied for a passport for Sashi, as passports (even in Argentina!) have to be applied for with the consent both of the parents - unless there is a custody arrangement, of course.

i was wondering this also.  Yes, sure, grandma can assume Rafa consented, but Divya sure didn't.  I do have to say that I was kind of expecting the whole "no, you can't take my granddaughter away from me" plot line as soon as we knew that they were going to Argentina.  I hope that Rafa shows up and and straightens things out and doesn't take his mother's side.  

And its way over time for Emma to be gone.  shoo, Emma, shoo. Go back to your grifter mama.

Edited by Linderhill
  • Love 1

I agree with others that Divya has options, Boris, the embassy, etc., other than being hostage to Sachi's grandmother.  Grandma Derevko has pretty much shot that relationship though.  When this is over, I doubt Sachi will ever be back in Argentina.

As for Divya's other story line,. I'm glad she sees the error of her ways and it was nice that she hired the attorney, but I hope the show doesn't think it's all better now.  What Divya did was not only rude and overbearing, but also incredibly insulting to Jeremiah.  Yes he has some issues with social circumstances, but the assumptions she drew showed a total lack of respect and faith in him.  She basically treated him like he's mentally incompetent and tried to "save him" from himself.  If I were Jeremiah, I would be seriously pissed that that was how someone I thought of as a friend viewed me.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 3

Also, Divya did say she was going to call Rafa and the abuela's response was that she can't, he's on a plane. Divya's not dumb, but she may have been put in a bad position. I don't know the ACTUAL laws - but based on the show's description of them, she might at least be stuck there with Sashi until Raf shows up and grants permission for her to leave.

I don't know if Divya is overall dumb, but she certainly was dumb about this.  She just stood there taking Abuela's word for not being able to leave the country, as if, were that true, it would mean that Divya and Sashi also couldn't leave the house.  Also, this seemed to hang on Abuela registering Sashi for an Argentinian passport -- can a grandmother actually do that there, and if so, does it make her a citizen of Argentina?  Does that citizenship override U.S. citizenship?  And for crying out loud, Boris brought them in on a private plane, and he's an expert at getting what he wants.  Even if this whole torturous set-up is actually true, all Divya really has to do is run out the door with Sashi (because I don't think Abuela would actually harm the baby or Divya), and run straight to Boris.  Boris simply walks them onto the tarmac and into the plane, and if they are questioned (Did Abuela say by customs?  Wouldn't that be immigration, or did I mishear?), simply say, "Sashi and her mother are U.S. citizens.  Here are their U.S. passports.  Now please let us board."  He'd get his way.

Some countries allow for dual citizenship. The baby was born in the USA. She's legally an American citizen. Argentina may allow her to have a passport, but it wouldn't override the USA. 

Actually, Divya should just call her bluff. Just go to the US Embassy. My legally American baby is being held against her will. Even if they can't leave the country, they'd probably let her stay there. 

I don't think so. She's born in the USA and has a USA passport. Anyone born in the USA is a legal citizen. They shouldn't be able to hold her in Argentina regardless of the father's citizen ship. 

I know that. What I'm saying is that because she is a legal American with the appropriate documentation, that customs wasn't going to detain her, especially if Div also has a USA passport, or if so, the USA Embassy is an available resource. I.E., the grandmother is either full of shit or TPTBs are just making stuff up to give Div a boring plot line. 

• Love 1

When the show first began, I really liked Divya.  Now?  Not so much....  The way she flippantly told grandma that she and the baby were homeless was just so wrong.  First of all, she totally demeaned those who truly are homeless.  Secondly, if one is living in an estate (even though the estate belongs to her father), one is hardly homeless.  Thirdly, I really don't blame grandma for trying to keep the baby (well, Divya admitted to making mistakes, not being able to focus on things, being homeless...).  And it really bothered me that she continued to stay at Jeremiah's after the baby was born instead of moving to her fathers.  Entitled and privilege?  Totally.

Emma?  Yippee, she's been found out so hopefully away she goes...

I don't know if Divya is overall dumb, but she certainly was dumb about this.  She just stood there taking Abuela's word for not being able to leave the country, as if, were that true, it would mean that Divya and Sashi also couldn't leave the house.  Also, this seemed to hang on Abuela registering Sashi for an Argentinian passport -- can a grandmother actually do that there, and if so, does it make her a citizen of Argentina?  Does that citizenship override U.S. citizenship?  And for crying out loud, Boris brought them in on a private plane, and he's an expert at getting what he wants.  Even if this whole torturous set-up is actually true, all Divya really has to do is run out the door with Sashi (because I don't think Abuela would actually harm the baby or Divya), and run straight to Boris.  Boris simply walks them onto the tarmac and into the plane, and if they are questioned (Did Abuela say by customs?  Wouldn't that be immigration, or did I mishear?), simply say, "Sashi and her mother are U.S. citizens.  Here are their U.S. passports.  Now please let us board."  He'd get his way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_passport

In accordance with Presidential Decree 2015/66, in order to get an Argentine passport, a person must go to the nearest Civil Registry and present his/her National Identity Document, birth certificate and a proof of marital status (unless single). Citizens under the age of 18 may only get a passport with parental authorization. Argentines living outside the country must follow the same procedure at an Argentine Embassy or Consulate.

• Love 1

As many have stated, Divya and Sashi being "held hostage" in Argentina is a stupid plotline that is both untrue (the passport issue) and could be easily resolved within the show (namely by Boris, but also Divya calling Rafa, going to an American embassy, etc). They're trying to create drama, but they're not doing a very good job of it.

As many have stated, Divya and Sashi being "held hostage" in Argentina is a stupid plotline that is both untrue (the passport issue) and could be easily resolved within the show (namely by Boris, but also Divya calling Rafa, going to an American embassy, etc). They're trying to create drama, but they're not doing a very good job of it.

It is ridiculous and I won't be surprised if the show really is trying to do something with this, however it's so ridiculous that I'm wondering if the grandmother's arthritis was a red herring and in fact Divya should have been worried about dementia or senility or something related.  Did the grandma have any small forgetful moments the show barely focused on?  I can't remember--and this is not a show I would go back and rewatch anymore. 

So stupid. Divya can wait for Rafe since he's I his way, and then go to the US Embassy.

If Emma doesn't get in trouble I will be pissed. She needs to man up for the mistakes she made. Dumb brat.

Divya act selflessly and get a lawyer for Viviana? That's a start to her character being somewhat redeemed. She has been unbearable this season.

It does seem as if TPTB are setting up Divya and Jeremiah. Besides the fact that she realizes she may like him after he becomes involved with Viviana, I think the fact that he kicked her out of his house will make her respect him, and that could eventually bring them closer together.

Boris simply walks them onto the tarmac and into the plane, and if they are questioned (Did Abuela say by customs?  Wouldn't that be immigration, or did I mishear?), simply say, "Sashi and her mother are U.S. citizens.  Here are their U.S. passports.  Now please let us board."

Yes, it would be immigration, not customs.  Customs usually deals with what you're bringing IN to the country, not what you're taking OUT.  Also, things, vs. people :)  A common mistake, and a small nit to pick, but one of my pet peeves!