Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E04: Auditions 4

• Start Topic

"They said I had a fantastic voice!"

Yeeeeeeah, not quite, but okay.

That Thomas guy from earlier seems like....a lot. Will be interesting to see how he fares in Hollywood during the group rounds and such, I can already imagine some personality clashes happening there. 

• Love 2

I'm enjoying this sequence of Katy fighting for her favourite contestants.  (My Mom's going to hate it😄 )

Don't forget the show is on tomorrow everyone!

OMG, Philip Phillips, one of the sexiest men on Earth, and I am not kidding!  LOL!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

That last performance was really powerful. Not often one expects to hear a song like "Strange Fruit" on a show like "Idol". 

I also kinda liked the girl from Iowa, 'cause hey, fellow Iowan :D. She needs a bit of work, but I think she was also a bit nervous during her audition, which, totally understandable. She did much better with the Adele song, so yeah. I'm curious to see what she can do.

And all the talk about the numerous country performers aside, I also liked that one guy's cover of Garth Brooks' "The Dance". Helps that I rather like that song, too, sad though it is. 

• Love 3

This episode is so much better than the last one.

I'm seeing a lot of auditions I really enjoyed, and I'm not even through the whole episode yet.

I also love the sequence of the judges criticizing those singers' typical bad habits.

I really liked Jacob who did "Rise".  I love that song by Adele "One and Only" that the pregnant woman did lol I'm so sorry I don't know her name.  Haley?  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

I also love the sequence of the judges criticizing those singers' typical bad habits.

I liked that, too :D. Especially when they each started admitting to their own bad habits they employed early on. I love that Luke talked about being too loud while Lionel talked about how he would often sing too softly :p. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

I liked that, too :D. Especially when they each started admitting to their own bad habits they employed early on. I love that Luke talked about being too loud while Lionel talked about how he would often sing too softly :p. 

Yes, you know how I can't stand when female singers that do that very affected thing that is so trendy now.  I was actually shocked that Lionel called the girl out on it.  Shocked.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

OMG, Philip Phillips, one of the sexiest men on Earth, and I am not kidding!  LOL!

He is a cutie!

Fritz shouldn't have gotten a golden ticket.

IMO, girl who sang Avril Lavigne wasn't good. She wasn't put thru, but they said nice things to her and told her she's better suited for Broadway. I love Broadway musicals. I'm not sure she's cut out for them.

I liked Sam (piano girl, returnee). I wonder if Aretha Franklin's granddaughter is gonna return this season and be put thru? I sure hope not!

I really like the song that "host" guy did. I think it was called The River. It mightve been a Christian song. His voice sounded really gentle and nice on it. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yes, you know how I can't stand when female singers that do that very affected thing that is so trendy now.  I was actually shocked that Lionel called the girl out on it.  Shocked.  

Same. And I liked that they highlighted a few examples of it - yeah, some people can pull off certain vocal stylings, others can't. People need to quit trying so hard to emulate their favorite singers and just let their own natural voice shine through. And they need to learn their own limits. I'm not a great singer as it is, but even if I wanted to try out for a show like "Idol", there are singers whose songs I would stay away from attempting, because even though I may love those artists, I know full well I can't sing like they do and that's not the style of music that would fit me. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

IMO, girl who sang Avril Lavigne wasn't good. She wasn't put thru, but they said nice things to her and told her she's better suited for Broadway. I love Broadway musicals. I'm not sure she's cut out for them.

I think they were being nice .  But you make a good point.  There's a line between nice and condescending.  Katy was too over the top with her praise.  Simon would never.

4 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

I really like the song that "host" guy did. I think it was called The River. It mightve been a Christian song. His voice sounded really gentle and nice on it. 

"River" by Leon Bridges.  I keep track of this stuff on iTunes and apparently this song was used on S16 and S18 as well.  (I know, this is so nerdy.)

4 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Same. And I liked that they highlighted a few examples of it - yeah, some people can pull off certain vocal stylings, others can't. People need to quit trying so hard to emulate their favorite singers and just let their own natural voice shine through. And they need to learn their own limits. I'm not a great singer as it is, but even if I wanted to try out for a show like "Idol", there are singers whose songs I would stay away from attempting, because even though I may love those artists, I know full well I can't sing like they do and that's not the style of music that would fit me. 

Yeah, I'm really impressed with the people who can pull off Adele, Mariah, Whitney, etc. well it's few and far between.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah, I'm really impressed with the people who can pull off Adele, Mariah, Whitney, etc. well it's few and far between.  

Exactly. There's a reason those women stood/stand out - they have a very distinctive voice and sound, you hear them and you know right away it's them. The artists who've followed in their footsteps and had their own successful careers were those that were clearly influenced by them, but still managed to work with their own style and sound. Christina Aguilera, for instance, obviously grew up on and was influenced by people like Whitney and Mariah, but she didn't just flat out replicate them, you know? She took that influence and figured out how to make it into a sound and style that worked for her. 

I also think some people mistake being able to sing along with the occasional song on the radio that they like with having an actual passion for music and wanting to make a career out of it. Sure, when I'm in my home singing away to some artist I love, I can (and do) go all out putting on my best pop/rock star moves and have the time of my life and all that :p. But that doesn't automatically mean I'm meant to be a professional singer/musician. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

I think Nadia Turner would have rather been at the spa. 😄

She was kind of limited in her reactions and interaction (with Ryan).

Thanks for reminding me.  Her daughter was named Za I think?  And she sang Bustin Windows by Jazmine Sullivan.  

1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

I also think some people mistake being able to sing along with the occasional song on the radio that they like with having an actual passion for music and wanting to make a career out of it. Sure, when I'm in my home singing away to some artist I love, I can (and do) go all out putting on my best pop/rock star moves and have the time of my life and all that :p. But that doesn't automatically mean I'm meant to be a professional singer/musician. 

I have so much passion for this stuff, but I think I'm tone deaf.  One of my brothers is self taught, he's really good, and sometimes I ask him to help me.  It takes so much practicing, it's crazy.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I have so much passion for this stuff, but I think I'm tone deaf.  One of my brothers is self taught, he's really good, and sometimes I ask him to help me.  It takes so much practicing, it's crazy.  

It does! And that's another thing that makes it hard for some of these people, even those who have a strong passion for this and want to make a career out of it. It's HARD work. So much time, so much effort, and also a hell of a lot of luck. There are many stories out there of artists who had amazing talent and yet for whatever reason, their music careers never took off the way they should've. And then there's people who aren't as talented (if at all), but they happen to know or be connected to the right people, and their careers blow up. This industry is really a crapshoot, and it's something I don't think a lot of the people who audition really seem to get - they might be aware of that fact on an abstract level, but they don't really know, or they think they'll be different somehow. That's one reason why I'm glad when the judges are a little more judicious and wary of sending some teenagers through, even when they clearly show some promising talent - that sort of thing is tough enough for adults to deal with, for teenagers it can be even more stressful. 

And those that do get farther into the competition get a crash course in that, which is why we see people who looked so promising in auditions flame out so spectacularly during group rounds or during certain theme weeks in the top 12 or whatever. But it's probably better that if they do experience that fall, it happens now, early on, before they get in too deep and experience a much harder and harsher struggle.  

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3

Right.  There's so many factors to this.  Some people have the 'natural' talent.  Some people have music education.  I really wish I stuck with my music education but I gave it up as a teenager to focus on other things.  I regret it now.  That would really help me with my "ear".  I don't naturally have that like some other people.  Some people have perfect pitch.  So even if I wanted to sound really good just for myself, for my own, for karaoke, for parties etc. it would still take so much practice!  Sigh.  One thing I do have that's natural - a loud voice.  A powerful instrument.  LOL.  But that's why singers like Adele fascinate me.  She can sing so high , so powerfully, and I can't.  It's always shocking like hearing an alien talk.  LOL!  

Also, @Annber03 you're getting me so excited for Hollywood Week, the best part of the season.  It's the army boot camp that all these kids need that you're talking about!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Also, @Annber03 you're getting me so excited for Hollywood Week, the best part of the season.  It's the army boot camp that all these kids need that you're talking about!

Hee, I always look forward to that part of the season, too :D. Not only is it interesting to see who can hang on and who struggles, I also like seeing how the groups work together, or don't. I love the moments when a group comes together and pulls off a great performance. Those moments can also be interesting because there's some singers who are great, but who might work better in a group setting than as a solo artist, or vice versa. 

Meant to say earlier, too, that seeing a former contestant's adult daughter audition tonight just further made me feel old, so thanks for that, show :p. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Hee, I always look forward to that part of the season, too :D. Not only is it interesting to see who can hang on and who struggles, I also like seeing how the groups work together, or don't. I love the moments when a group comes together and pulls off a great performance. Those moments can also be interesting because there's some singers who are great, but who might work better in a group setting than as a solo artist, or vice versa. 

Meant to say earlier, too, that seeing a former contestant's adult daughter audition tonight just further made me feel old, so thanks for that, show :p. 

Group night always was my favorite part of Hollywood Week. Mostly because of the drama of it and the kids throwing each other under the bus in front of Simon and Co. when they inevitably bombed, but also because of the good performances that came out of it. Kris Allen, Matt Giraud and co. come to mind, as does Blake Lewis, Chris Sligh, and co.. And who can forget Frenchie and Kimberley Locke?

I think my favorite part of Nadia's daughter auditioning was that she wore the same top Nadia did (in 2004!)

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 3

The fact that Nadia's daughter kept the audition a secret makes me curious about what Nadia has told her about her own experience.  She said nice things on camera of course, but maybe she has said other things privately that made Za think she might have talked her out of the audition?  Maybe not.  I really liked Nadia (I bought her singles) and I just remember being annoyed that when she was announced for bottom 2 before being voted off, Paula was asked to give advice/encouragement to Nadia and Bo Bice, but just went, "See you in the finals, Bo" and ignored Nadia.

The girl who sang Avril definitely got carried away and didn't understand that the judges were mostly being (a little too) polite.  She really, really wanted her segment to air, but I wonder if she's still as excited about it after the reactions she may have received.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

The fact that Nadia's daughter kept the audition a secret makes me curious about what Nadia has told her about her own experience.  She said nice things on camera of course, but maybe she has said other things privately that made Za think she might have talked her out of the audition?  Maybe not.  I really liked Nadia (I bought her singles) and I just remember being annoyed that when she was announced for bottom 2 before being voted off, Paula was asked to give advice/encouragement to Nadia and Bo Bice, but just went, "See you in the finals, Bo" and ignored Nadia.

Thank you....I was wondering the same thing.  I liked Nadia very much in her season and was shocked when she was eliminated.  No surprise when Carrie won, and for the record I was voting for Bo, but Nadia should have placed higher. 

And tying back to last night's episode, would we have seen Za's audition she didn't have a former Idol as a parent?  She was good, she wasn't great and I would not have paid her any notice without the fanfare. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

There wasn't much of anyone this episode I liked.

Seems like there are waaay more country contestants in proportion to everyone else. Almost feels like the show has given up on ever being able to launch a star in any other genre these days. It wouldn't be so bad if they could find good country contestants to win this show. They are out there, show, please stop rewarding people who can play a guitar better than they can sing!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Kevin (That's How Strong My Love Is) was apparently touched by the spirit of Otis, because that was great.

Douglas (Strange Fruit) had exquisite phrasing, especially for a teenager. I didn't see 'gorilla' when I looked at him, either. (He's certainly better-looking than Willie Spence). 

I liked listening to pregnant Haley, very appealing voice. 

Nadia Turner's daughter is really beautiful, but her voice is just OK.

Why did Sam Moss (yet another overweight woman with big glasses and a hat) get to re-audition? Not fair, and she does nothing for me musically.

• Love 3

Auditions can be tricky.  It doesn't tell the whole story.  Just because someone can sing - does not make them marketable.  The industry wants people who are unique.  People aren't going to pay money to see someone perform if they lack stage presence, personality, likeability, artistry.  No one cares about a sob story.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, twilightzone said:

No one cares about a sob story.

Except the people producing this show and making bank from the advert dollars. 

Which isn't disagreeing with you at all--this show has long suffered from the split between what their audience wants to watch and what the general public will buy. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, snarkylady said:

And tying back to last night's episode, would we have seen Za's audition she didn't have a former Idol as a parent?  She was good, she wasn't great and I would not have paid her any notice without the fanfare. 

Even if the original judges for Nadia's season (Simon, Paula, Randy) were there I wouldn't expect them to remember a contestant from fifteen seasons ago, but it struck me how this ABC version is a completely different show when Ryan had to introduce Nadia to the panel and explain that she was a top ten contestant from season four. :( 

• Love 1
On 3/20/2022 at 10:35 PM, Annber03 said:

It does! And that's another thing that makes it hard for some of these people, even those who have a strong passion for this and want to make a career out of it. It's HARD work. So much time, so much effort, and also a hell of a lot of luck. 

A few seasons back there was a moment that has stayed with me. Lauren Daigle was mentoring some contestants and mentioned that she bussed tables to save every penny to pay for singing lessons, and one of the contestants said she had never had a singing lesson before, leaving Lauren a bit nonplussed. I sometimes wonder if the contestants really understand the sheer hard work required to be successful.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Holy hell, seeing Nadia Turner's daughter auditioning made me feel sooooo old - not many things do that to me, but wow. Daughter sounds commercial to me, but not the strongest singer. Not sure she'll get through hollywood.

I think nerd guy with plaid pants and glasses is going to show up to hollywood as a total hottie - he's obviously a good looking guy under the doofiness. It's like the old librarian cliche.

Girl singing Avril Lavigne was not done any favors when they played the real version after her signing it. I wanted to plug my ears.

I didn't love pregnant girl's voice. The fact she was pregnant was what stood out to me, not the vocals.

I liked the first guy that played piano and did the impromptu bayou sing along with the judges, and the super blond girl in the plaid dress.

• Love 1

A few seasons ago, they showed us Nikki McKibbon's (S1, 3rd place) 15 year old son audition. He was never seen again, which makes me think we wouldn't have seen his audition at all if it wasn't for that connection. W/ Za, I could see that happen again..but she's incredibly camera ready so another part of me thinks she might advance through Hollywood until at least the group round.

The uber-chatty guy was clearly putting on that annoying personality so he could switch out of it on his second song to "surprise the judges". I absolute hate that.

The little blonde girl who auditioned towards the end has to be a Belmont music student. A billion percent.

I wonder if Sam (the girl who Katy wanted to go through) is one of those AI contestants who shine on their originals but always struggle a little bit to connect with the cover songs they inevitably have to do at different stages of AI.

The guy who played his tie should be a shoe-in for Top 45 or Top 24. However, he clearly has no backstory to exploit or play up which gives me pause.

Trying to figure where I'd put the football player turned country singer amongst the country singers we've heard so far. I'd say Top 3 or 4. Not sure whether he'll get comfortable enough with the performance side of the equation to really be a threat.

Nice to see Jacob the nurse back to try again. Probably one of the better falsetto voices we'll hear all season.

• Love 1

Maybe I am reincarnated with the soul of a sour mother-in-law, but these episodes have been downright painful, I'd think all but a few on this one were irritating. You have to love the never ending contradictions of the contestants occasionally being told how serious this all is unless Luke or Katy need to get up and tap dance or do annoying voices for 5 minutes. There's never anything to write about until the later rounds when everyone is more familiar, which is why my posts are like quick little old woman squawks of how much everything hurts or whatever haha.

• Love 3