Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Unchained and Untamed

• Start Topic

Aesha and Ryan's opposing views on service are tested during an explosive lunch; Brittini stands up for herself on deck, while Benny takes issue working in the anchor locker; Captain Jason introduces a most improved award that isn't well received.

Title seems mostly to be about Benny, who's tasked with "flaking the chain" which is to go down into this confined space near where the chain for the anchor is reeled in and he has to push the chains so that they don't bunch up and get tangled.

Benny hates it and cuts his feet, jumps out, says he can't do it.  Culver, the former football player and hardcore fitness enthusiast does it with no complaints.

For his antics, Jason awards Benny with his version of the dunce cap, a helmet with covered with mosaic of mirror tiles like a disco ball -- I thought he was polishing a disco ball.  Benny refuses to wear it at the crew dinner.

You'd think he could be a prime candidate to be fired, though no such talk yet.  Let's see whether they will play the will he or won't he fire cast card.

But Benny is licensed and apparently the main guy to pilot the rather large tender that they use when taking guests to snorkel -- so it may not be so easy to replace him.  Snorkeling should be a key activity for the guests but they didn't devote much footage to it.

First clash between Aesha and Ryan happens when the guests return from snorkeling and hang out in the hot tub, ordering drinks.  Ryan starts plating and the crew, even captain Jason, starts taking up burgers and other dishes.

But they have to get out of the tub and the food is likely to cool  Ryan pouts, says they can't be reheated, that Aesha should have told them to go to table because the food is ready.

Well no matter, these TikTok fools loved the food, letting it cool even more by photographing it before eating it.

Looks like Bravo isn't going to miss a chance to get the cast drunk and into the hot tub.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

If you haven’t seen the episode yet, nothing but spoilage ahead… you have been warned….

…AND…. No drama after all – they’re out of the marina.

The guests love their Tik-Tok!  Whatever that is…  (:

Chef – “Just relax – I’m gonna decide what you’re gonna have and you’re gonna love it.”  Yeah, let’s see how long that lasts…

Guest (on being told what he was having for breakfast) – “What’s the alternative?”  Aesha: “There wasn’t one.”  And yet the guests are eating it up – literally!  I’m really keen to see how that flies with other guests.  Wait until you get a bunch of vegans, etc.

The snorkeling shots are fantastic – it’s so nice to see the colours and wildlife.

Sorry, chef, the guests don’t work for you, it’s the other way around.  You can’t just randomly decide to plate when the guests aren’t at the table yet.  And was chef horking down whipped cream from a can or doing a whippet (24:02)?

Ben is definitely going to be a problem.  What do you reckon the over/under is for him to last?  He belittles Britt and won’t take direction from his boss.  And he’s such a drama queen!  Won’t flake the anchor chain?  Sheesh.

So Benny got the “You sucked the most” award for charter performance.  Not saying it wasn’t deserved, but I’m not sure a de-motivation award is going to get the best out of people.  If someone had a basically good attitude, they could take it in fun.  But Benny has issues, and I think this is just going to make things worse with him.

Oh, wow, the guests for the next charter look like they’ll be a real handful!

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 3/18/2022 at 10:45 PM, Tanukisan said:

And was chef horking down whipped cream from a can or doing a whippet (24:02)?

I thought that very same thing, was he being sly about it? Everyone knows you have to turn the can upside down.

Also, he made homemade whipped cream before but this time he uses the can of whipped cream, he can't pipe out his own whipped cream?

I get the chef wanting to minimize the crazy ordering at breakfast, we have seen how that can turn in to a mess but why not give three options and prep some things?  The chef is thinking they will have what he makes or nothing and like it?  Sooner or later that will bite him in the ass.

Is anyone else getting confused between the captain and the bosun, I am.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Since this is now on Bravo, I'm just watching it now.

Chef Ryan has to be the most egotistical chef of all Below Deck franchises.  Does he think he's the friggin' Soup Nazi from Seinfeld?  "No soup for you [if you are not sitting when I want you to sit]"  WTF???  

Plus, no secondary options for breakfast except for the one thing he feels like making?  I don't like Eggs Benedict, and sometimes I don't feel like pancakes - what would he say to me, the PAYING charter guest, who he is WORKING for, if I ask for two scrambled eggs?  And, doesn't he realize that every breakfast should have regular bacon and something else (sausage, Canadian bacon, ham, etc.)?  

And, fucking tacos for dinner??  On a super yacht??  I don't care what they are made of - tacos should be for lunch.  If you want to do Mexican, come up with more upscale Mexican food for dinner.  There's so many other options!!  

I don't like "Cheffie" and hope that he gets taken down a step or two from his ego ladder.

But....wow, Captain Jason!!!!  He's hot, he seems like he pitches in everywhere (maybe too much??), he's hot, seems like he has a fair sense of humor, he's hot, and he just seems likeable.  Oh - did I mentionn he's hot???  Good looks and an Aussie accent get me every single time!!  Look out Captain Lee - there's a new "Stud of Sea" on the horizon!!  

And, I am loving Aesha as a chief stew, so far.  She's so bubbly and tries to stay upbeat - her voice drives me crazy, though, when she gets all high-pitched.  Hard to hear her story about her Mom - glad she's on a good recovery road now.

So far, I'm liking the rest of the crew except for Benny - let's see how long he lasts.  What I didn't like were Magda and Tumi giggling like two elementary school girls whenever the captain said anything or walked by.  

Charter guests were pretty chill - next week's guests look they could be a little harder to deal with.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 4/8/2022 at 2:52 AM, maggiemae said:

Very often the key to to diner style breakfast is one or two daily specials....and the fruit, bacon, croissants.

I agree.  There should always be an egg dish (omelets, frittata, Benedict, etc) and a carb-load option of pancakes, French Toast, crepes, or soemthing like that, and of course, fresh fruit.  And, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, bacon and croissants - plain and chocolate!!!  

• Love 2

So far I like Captain Jason, firstly, he is hawt. He also was helping out with luggage, provisions and even dusting, unlike Yawn and Lee. Chef Boy is an ass and I hope he gets reemed for his attitude and lack of flexibility, Aesha has his number. I wonder if Brittini has made up her own pronunciation of Brittini. I see troubled waters with Ben and Chefy and I am here for it.  

• Love 8

So I bit the bullet and watched WWHL Monday night after the first episode aired on Bravo. He had Captain Sandy and Aesha on. He peppered Aesha with a laundry list of questions about Chef Ryan and she wouldn't answer any of them, it was clear she didn't like him and didn't want to give anything away. The only question she responded to was "What nugget of advice would you give him?" and she replied "get some experience." I haven't read ahead or seen the show on Peacock (?) but I'm wondering if he lied about the amount of experience he had.

I'm a little torn here because I kind of agree that the guests shouldn't be given so many choices, it just makes a headache for the chef and the stews. I've always said that breakfast should just be an option of some basics instead of each guest being able to special order whatever the hell they want like they're at a diner. They don't do that for lunch or dinner so why is it allowed at breakfast? I also think his food, so far, looks pretty good and this charter seemed to agree. We'll see what happens when they get guests who are more picky.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Since this season aired earlier on Peacock, there is already info about Ryan's role on the show on the Internet. Anyone who is interested can probably find it.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 1

Since this season aired earlier on Peacock, there is already info about Ryan's role on the show on the Internet. Anyone who is interested can probably find it.

Yeah but I'm trying not to spoil myself. 😇

• LOL 1
19 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

That's like telling me that you have chocolate for me but I have to go & buy it.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
8 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

That's like telling me that you have chocolate for me but I have to go & buy it.

I'm sorry! I'm unsure about spoilering when a season airs on two different channels.

I tried to find the link in the threads for the Peacock airing but could not. Here's a spoiler:

Spoiler

After the season ended on Peacock, Ryan made statements that he only expected to work for a week or two due to quarantine, but had to stay longer. I think he said he understood he was meant to portray a villain. I won't say more.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I don't agree with Captain Jason's "award" of the disco helmet.  Calling out an employee and ridiculing them in a group meeting, and forcing them to display their punishment in public, is a dick move. No professional worth their salt would handle a dressing-dwon this way.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

😎Benny is such a cry baby.  I can't see him lasting long.  

Storm and his stupid moustache.  He looks like one of those guys who could grow it back in a week.  I once tried to grow a beard.  After 8 months it looked worse than Ted Cruz (and I didn't think that was possible😎)  So off it went.

419054947_cryingtoddler.jpg.1650b4208a3cc0708ee0c44e1d26f111.jpg

Edited by PaperTree
  • LOL 5
(edited)
On 7/13/2022 at 11:08 AM, iMonrey said:

I'm a little torn here because I kind of agree that the guests shouldn't be given so many choices, it just makes a headache for the chef and the stews. I've always said that breakfast should just be an option of some basics instead of each guest being able to special order whatever the hell they want like they're at a diner. They don't do that for lunch or dinner so why is it allowed at breakfast?

If I spend that much money I think I'd want more than an option of some basics.

That being said, this show looks like an unentertaining stressful nightmare and I actually stopped watching it.

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 1

I made it through the second episode and I think I can hang with it.

I like Captain Cutie, I like how he will throw in and help out when needed, and takes it all in stride.  I did think it was unproductive to make anybody wear that disco ball helmet to teach them a lesson.  I never think public humiliation is a good idea, unless it's a politician.  He said it was the Australian way to bust the balls in an affectionate way.  Affectionate way?  Clearly, I'm American.  He is cute though.  Cute enough to hold my interest to see what else he's like.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/18/2022 at 5:01 PM, Mezzaluna said:

I don't agree with Captain Jason's "award" of the disco helmet.  Calling out an employee and ridiculing them in a group meeting, and forcing them to display their punishment in public, is a dick move. No professional worth their salt would handle a dressing-dwon this way.

I disagree, I thought it was a fun way to give someone a warning without being a complete ass.  The disco helmet was kinda cool looking; just roll with the punches and wear it.  It could have been A LOT worse.  Culver put it best when he said it's being part of a team, working together, and having a tradition.  Speaking of Culver I gotta say I really like him.  He seems like a super cool dude and a pleasant person to be around.  

On 7/19/2022 at 9:11 PM, Shannah Banana said:

I never think public humiliation is a good idea, unless it's a politician.  He said it was the Australian way to bust the balls in an affectionate way.  Affectionate way?

Public humiliation, really?  That seems a bit extreme.  He didn't make anyone walk around in their damn underwear with obscenities written across his body.  I thought Benny was just being a f'ing brat about the whole thing.

Edited by Dirtybubble
Grammar was incorrect
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 7/19/2022 at 9:11 PM, Shannah Banana said:

I did think it was unproductive to make anybody wear that disco ball helmet to teach them a lesson.  I never think public humiliation is a good idea, unless it's a politician.  He said it was the Australian way to bust the balls in an affectionate way.  Affectionate way?

I agree with you. Granted, Benny is a needy idiot, (and I'm not 😉) but if I were called out by my boss like that, I'd be mortified. 

I know different personality types react to things differently. I would seriously consider not going out that evening. I'd wear the helmet and stay on the boat. I don't think the captain could order me to go out. I'd adhere to the letter but not the spirit of the law. (But I've been that kind of pain in the rear most of my life.)

Edited by rur
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

That helmet was mortifying. I felt for Bennie, who actually took it in good humor in the public/group setting. 

I think I've been there somewhere in my own life. Being publicly humiliated. It was painful. 

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Hugs 1

If I was the primary I would dictate what I want for breakfast not the other way around.  Just serve it to me so I can watch Capt. Jason.  His fine self wiping things down is entertainment for me.  You don't even have to put out the slide.

• LOL 1