Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: The Big Ugly

luckyroll3
  • Start Topic

Well, that went to shit even faster than I expected. At least Chuck seemed to realize it wasn’t over at the end. Prince is going to hit back full force this time. And considering the unexpected confirmation of him bribing Colin Drache, he might actually have a real fight in him.

Wags got a storyline! I guess that’s how it works now with Wendy and Wags. If one gets a storyline, the other gets benched. Though even in his lightest eps, I think Wags had more than two scenes. Anyway, it was nice to see Chelsea again and to see Wags taking real strides forward  

I wonder what it’s going to take for Wendy to actively turn against Chuck. Even with Axe, she refused to get involved. She was obviously excited about her future role, but this ep she knew it was done as soon as she saw Dave’s press conference, even before Prince and company did. When is it too much for her?

So much for Prince’s marriage. She can say what she wants about being in it and it being Prince’s turn to travel, but she was out as soon as they announced the games were gone. She didn’t even take time to be politely sympathetic. “See you when I see you”? Ouch. 

Taylor got lucky. I’m liking Rian more and more. They’ve really developed her problems with Taylor well. She was unexpectedly fun with Wags too. 

• Love 1

The best part of this episode was Rian (?) and Wags talking about young stress versus middle aged stress. People really do forget just how stressful being young is. Not only do you not know anything, most of the time you don’t know you don’t know anything and youthful hubris and verve convinces you that the opposite is true. I’ve thought this for a long time but it’s not a popular opinion and I was thrilled to see it addressed. 
Plus Wags has always been one of the most watchable characters on this shitshow. Even when he’s ridiculously twirled his mustache he’s fun to watch. I wish I could say the same for the other characters. Just what is the point of this show? It’s like they tried for both biting social satire/commentary and melodramatic evening soap opera and missed wildly at both. Too bad because those two genres done well together can be pretty fabulous at times. See both versions of House of Cards or early seasons of Weeds or Six Feet Under for examples. 

• Love 2

OK, you knew the Olympics plot would end eventually since LA, not NY, will have the games in 2028.

The IOC isn't going to switch the host city because of some allegations of corruption.  There may have been bribes but Chuck has absolutely no proof of such since Colin Drache off the grid.

But the ICS, which is the fake IOC, will switch host city because Katerina "call me Miss" Britt is supposedly some pure bureaucrat in a sport which is notorious for corruption?

The carried interest gambit was BS too.  Most of these rich people pay more in federal, not state taxes.  NY can't tax them high enough nor can those other states.  Carried interest has survived at least 3 presidential campaigns, it isn't going away.

We're suppose to believe Prince's A-team caved and made up some claim that they can't back up about corruption?

In any event, why would the governor go along?  It would be humiliating for the city and the state to lose the Olympics after getting it.  It's one thing to lose out the bid and never get it but to get it and then lose it?

Politicians in NY would be pissed at Chuck for using state resources to have the Olympics taken away from the city and the state.

The Hypersonic gambit was ridiculous too.  No way they make some startup with unproven tech the official airline of the Olympics, just to carry 75 passengers?  What a joke.  And Taylor would object not because the tech and the claims are flaky but probably because it's bad for climate change, to burn all that fuel to carry so few people.

But Philip's play was dumb too, self-driving cars chauffeuring Olympians around the city?

Wendy was pissed, dumped all those athlete analytics in the trash right away.  You'd think she'd have to have it shredded because that's some confidential info.

Andy is leaving NYC, going to Colorado and then LA, where the Olympics will be held.  Tells Prince that he could visit her in LA now.  

She's not that into you bro.

Prince seems to get it, says he can't come next weekend.

• Useful 1

Were they saying that there would only be one torch bearer in NYC, and it would be Prince? Good thing they lost the games, because there is no way they could spin that narcissistic BS in any kind of positive way. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

While I do enjoy the Jay-Z song and while I certainly find it to be a loving tribute to the Big Apple I thought it was a little bit hilarious hearing all those n-bombs raining down while two of the whitest whitey mcwhitersons who ever whited plotted and schemed against each other.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Finally deleting this stupid show off my PVR. 

Chuck fucking sucks. I hate the character.

Prince is the worst. So boring so monotone. Could they not get a more charismatic actor? Horrible choice. All he does is say stupid lectures and use outdated references.

Scooter sucks too so blah. Another annoying guy who constantly lectures and uses maybe even more outdated references.

I’ll say it again they should’ve ended this when Axe left. Maybe even a bit before that.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 1

I said this last year, but it is even more true this year. There are no characters I am rooting for or care about any more. Or have redeeming qualities. 
in the early years, Axe cared a lot about his family. Chuck and Wendy loved each other, and while Chuck made his vendetta against Axe personal, he seemed to be fighting corruption, not making it up. Wendy was interesting and good at her job. The other secondary characters were interesting and had lives. 

Now? Chuck is just looking for revenge for…reasons. Wendy is a nonentity. Prince wants the Olympics to get his bland ex back in some weird logic that makes no sense and (I guess) to qualify him for a presidential bid? None of the other characters are remotely interesting. Even Taylor, who had an interesting if convoluted storyline in the past. 

I like all the actors and was predisposed to liking them here. Maggie Schiff in Mad Men?  Corey Stoll in House of Cards?  It’s the writing, not the acting. 

I think I am out…

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Blueeyedgirl said:

I said this last year, but it is even more true this year. There are no characters I am rooting for or care about any more. Or have redeeming qualities. 
in the early years, Axe cared a lot about his family. Chuck and Wendy loved each other, and while Chuck made his vendetta against Axe personal, he seemed to be fighting corruption, not making it up. Wendy was interesting and good at her job. The other secondary characters were interesting and had lives. 

Now? Chuck is just looking for revenge for…reasons. Wendy is a nonentity. Prince wants the Olympics to get his bland ex back in some weird logic that makes no sense and (I guess) to qualify him for a presidential bid? None of the other characters are remotely interesting. Even Taylor, who had an interesting if convoluted storyline in the past. 

I like all the actors and was predisposed to liking them here. Maggie Schiff in Mad Men?  Corey Stoll in House of Cards?  It’s the writing, not the acting. 

I think I am out…

Unless something happens in these last episodes to make me go "WTF??" (in a GOOD way), I'm out too.  

"You have to be comfortable being uncomfortable"? AFAIC whoever wrote that line should feel horribly ashamed, and should go sit in a corner and reconsider their life choices.

Gayle King. Gee, they couldn't get Oprah? Whatever, Prince is so ridiculously earnest. I don't see why cynical New Yorkers take him seriously.

Okay the analogy of Prince to the bear with hyperphagia was good. Prince definitely operates in "because he can" mode but he tells himself (and anyone else who'll listen) that all his huge moves are for the common good.

Lol, Chuck playing mental Three-Card Monte with the NY governor.

Wait, so LA gets the games after all? That's insane. How are the Olympics not a gigantic clusterfcuk with all the machinations involved in winning them?

Prince's ex knows she'll won't see him again any time soon. He only wanted the games in NYC because it'd have been more convenient for him to get with her. Heaven forbid the billionaire should have to cross a couple of time zones for the woman he claims to love.

Where was Kate Sacker this episode? Seems to me she would've sniffed out what Chuck was pulling.

Does anyone REALLY care how Prince got the Olympics to New York?  Who cares?!?!  Your average, everyday person has NO idea how host cities are chosen.  And, if you told them, bribery was involved, I'm betting they wouldn't be surprised or care.  Host city residents' lives are screwed up for 2-3 weeks and then the Olympics are over and move on.  Chuck going on this crusade is just stupid.  "I have to make sure this billionaire doesn't get what he wants, in the name of helping the rank and file."  Prince wasn't the only one invested in the Olympics coming to NY.  Chuck screwing this up affects many others and he SHOULD suffer for it.  He won't and this show is just treading water.

It's not even interesting anymore.  The actor that played Axe was smart in leaving this dumpster fire.

Edited by PsychoDrone
  • Love 2

Bobby Axe was my favorite character in this show. He wasn't a good person, but he wasn't supposed to be. He'd probably be fun to hang out with and would have your back if you proved yourself to him. He had a point and a purpose.

Unless something unforeseen happens, I am done at the end of the season and only that long because I am a completist.

On 3/13/2022 at 9:40 AM, AuntieMame said:

The best part of this episode was Rian (?) and Wags talking about young stress versus middle aged stress. People really do forget just how stressful being young is. Not only do you not know anything, most of the time you don’t know you don’t know anything and youthful hubris and verve convinces you that the opposite is true. I’ve thought this for a long time but it’s not a popular opinion and I was thrilled to see it addressed. 
Plus Wags has always been one of the most watchable characters on this shitshow. Even when he’s ridiculously twirled his mustache he’s fun to watch. I wish I could say the same for the other characters. Just what is the point of this show? It’s like they tried for both biting social satire/commentary and melodramatic evening soap opera and missed wildly at both. Too bad because those two genres done well together can be pretty fabulous at times. See both versions of House of Cards or early seasons of Weeds or Six Feet Under for examples. 

I think most people older than 35 or maybe 40 know that “stress” at 20something is usually laughable compared to stress for grownups. Which is what Wags said with “you’re 12.” I loved that interaction, too, but it was because Wags actually gave good and supportive leadership advice.

Prince and Andy have the creepiest relationship ever. Hard to believe she falls for his shit.

Prince is just gross. I don’t know if he is purposefully gross or doesn’t realize he is, but as I have said, I prefer Axe. What you see is what you get.

Chuck, meanwhile, good grief. Take a win and shut up.