Type keyword(s) to search

Life & Beth - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Life & Beth is a comedy series coming to Hulu, with all 10 half-hour episodes released on March 18. Life & Beth is created, directed, written, executive produced and stars Amy Schumer.
MV5BM2MyNjIzNzAtNzEyMi00OGJlLTk2YWEtMDg0
life-and-beth.jpg

Amy Schumer plays Beth.
Beth’s life looks pretty great on paper. Impressive to everyone she grew up with. She makes a good living as an almost 40-year-old wine distributor. She’s in a long term relationship with an attractive, successful guy and lives in Manhattan. When a sudden incident forces Beth to engage with her past, her life changes forever. Through flashbacks to her teen self, Beth starts to learn how she became who she is and who she wants to become. We’ll go on her journey toward building a more authentic life and learning to express herself and living in an intentional way. A trip down memory lane is a strong source of trauma, comedy and moving forward.
Violet Young plays the younger, teenage version of Beth. 
attachment-Untitled.jpg?w=980&q=75

Michael Cera plays John, a farmer and chef who is always honest and to the point.
Michael Rapaport plays Leonard, teenage Beth’s father who’s down on his luck.
Yamaneika Saunders plays Kiana.
Susannah Flood plays Ann.
Lily Fisher plays Young Ann.
Grace Power plays Young Liz
Arielle Siegel plays Jen.
Kevin Kane plays Matt.
LaVar Walker plays LaVar.
Rosebud Baker plays Meri.
Laura Benanti plays Jane.
Larry Owens plays Clark.

• Love 2

Life & Beth     March 18       Hulu

Episodes 1-10 Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: Life & Beth
24fdd7b7-f00c-4209-b09c-7d145b47c07a?bas

The cracks in every aspect of Beth’s seemingly great but unfulfilling life are starting to show when she gets earth-shattering news that will upend it all-together.

S01.E02: We’re Grieving
947198b4-7c60-4343-a460-c34d3ddadd7e?bas

Beth and Matt head to Long Island to arrange a fast funeral for her mother. Beth starts to dig through her past.

S01.E03: Out On The Island
70b05289-650f-43fa-8c58-eb1d02f127e7?bas

After her breakup, Beth decides to leave Manhattan and head back to Long Island, at least for now. To make it work, she takes on a very “Long Island” Long Island vineyard as a client.

S01.E04: Pancakes
d2596145-706b-4a26-8e81-19943eb836e4?bas

Beth’s friends encourage her to get back into the hookup game now that she’s back on the Island, but Beth has formed a crush on a farmer at the vineyard she now reps.

S01.E05: Fair
be6fcdb7-38f1-45cb-bac5-0ef1d1dcc8e3?bas

Beth spends more time with John at the vineyard and tags along with him to the annual fair. There, she has an awkward run in with a childhood friend.

S01.E06: Boat
4a01719e-cd82-453e-9912-5afee04b7618?bas

Beth traps Ann into spending the day with her and John on John’s boat.

S01.E07: Leonard
bed69851-9ca8-4d80-892c-9269e7d6db6b?bas

Ann helps Beth move the last of her things out of her and Matt’s apartment. Beth enlists her father’s help in wining and dining a big client.

S01.E08: Homegoing
3cdf8776-2689-47ae-b354-f5c25b4f4824?bas

A newly unemployed Beth helps John at the farmers’ market. She and John attend a funeral, which makes Beth reevaluate a lot of things in her own life.

S01.E09: MRI
552258da-3584-4cc0-9441-9a022701e4ba?bas

Beth gets an MRI to find the source of her back pain and, while inside, she reflects on her tumultuous childhood.

S01.E10: Kiss From A Rose
4f173607-a68d-47f7-8ccd-38241ba19e4e?bas

Beth decides she can’t waste any more time on regrets. She makes a plan to move forward, cut some old ties, and forgive.

I watched the first episode and agree it was a little hard to get through. Some parts, especially that first scene, seemed like sketches from Inside Amy Schumer, and the jokes and tone reminded me of Search Party. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it just didn't feel fresh and I'm not sure I'm interested enough in the story or characters to find out what happens next. I thought the scene where Beth is singing karaoke after learning about her mother's death was raw and moving, but even that reminded me of Karen Gillan doing something similar on Selfie. Arguably, this is more a matter of me watching too much tv than it is a problem with the show.

It was fun to see John Early and Janelle James pop up, though I'm assuming that's all we'll get of them. I'll probably try a few more episodes, but the AV Club review says that a good chunk of time is spent on flashbacks to Beth's childhood/adolescence and that doesn't really sound appealing. But their review, like some of the others already posted, was generally positive, so eh.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

It was fun to see John Early and Janelle James pop up, though I'm assuming that's all we'll get of them. I'll probably try a few more episodes, but the AV Club review says that a good chunk of time is spent on flashbacks to Beth's childhood/adolescence and that doesn't really sound appealing. But their review, like some of the others already posted, was generally positive, so eh.

I actually quite liked the first three episodes minus the childhood flashbacks, so this is not great news! They're fine, but definitely the least interesting part of it to me.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I watched the first episode and agree it was a little hard to get through. Some parts, especially that first scene, seemed like sketches from Inside Amy Schumer, and the jokes and tone reminded me of Search Party. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it just didn't feel fresh and I'm not sure I'm interested enough in the story or characters to find out what happens next. I thought the scene where Beth is singing karaoke after learning about her mother's death was raw and moving, but even that reminded me of Karen Gillan doing something similar on Selfie. Arguably, this is more a matter of me watching too much tv than it is a problem with the show.

I slogged through 3 eps but found I wasn’t really enjoying it so I don’t know if I’ll continue. The casting for the younger Beth took me out of the story.  She looks NOTHING like AS that it was distracting. Especially when the camera focuses on the mouth so much and the younger actress has a much fuller mouth and then they transition to Amy’s VERY thin lips. 

Also, loved the Selfie shout-out. Still miss that gem of a show. And, I agree, about the karaoke scene. Selfie did it better. My heart broke for Liza. 

• Love 3

I skipped the earlier episodes and jumped back in.  They are better imo, but still problematic.  I found some of this show quite funny, but the humor gets overshadowed with annoying things like Amy’s bizarre behavior or the incessant arguing.  

I agree about how the younger Amy looks nothing like the adult one. It’s distracting. (But, since the adult Amy is so annoying, I welcome the break from her.). Why did they make that choice? Perhaps, Amy likes the full lips and purposefully chose her to play her younger self.    They really nailed Amy’s dad though.  Rapaport has a strong personality, but it works in that role.  

So, this show was supposed to be inspired by Amy’s real life events…….Does it reflect her real life qualities as well? If so, it shows her to be a complete narcissist with no self awareness and I find it so annoying that it makes me dislike her.  And, I’ve always liked Amy a lot, which is unfortunate.  I’m trying to view it as Amy leaning life lessons and growing, but she’s over 40 years old in the series. I guess we always evolve, right?   She did just lose her mom, so I keep reminding myself of that.  And, she had some serious troubles growing up.  Her hard times does make me feel for her.  

I’m almost finished with the series.  I guess at this point I’m rather ambivalent. 

Is her mom really dead?  I wasn’t able to find much about it.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

I honestly don’t know how Amy Schumer has a career...her acting is horrible, and she’s not funny!  Also the younger sister who I’m guessing is supposed to be about 4 years younger looks much older than Amy...it’s distracting.  Watch somebody somewhere on HBO it’s a much better show in this same genre

• Love 2
2 hours ago, stacyasp said:

I honestly don’t know how Amy Schumer has a career...her acting is horrible, and she’s not funny!  Also the younger sister who I’m guessing is supposed to be about 4 years younger looks much older than Amy...it’s distracting.  Watch somebody somewhere on HBO it’s a much better show in this same genre

Have you noticed the similarities with Somebody Somewhere?  Both filmed in rural, farm setting, both have death of immediate family member, both have discord with their sister, both have difficult childhoods due to their mother’s dysfunction, both quit their jobs, and  both have the divine Murray Hill.  I think Amy and Bridget are good friends IRL.  

• Love 3

Okay, not loving Beth's old middle school friends/Long Island wives/mother crew.

They are all so terrible that it is almost offensive.

Beth's old boyfriend was almost as attractive as the guy they were all drooling after. Of course, she will not want to be with another airhead pretty boy and them pressuring her to fuck him was gross.

• Love 3

I sort of like the farm, laidback  lifestyle and lake, but Beth’s boyfriend, John is annoying to me.  I find him rather difficult, but so is Amy.  She criticizes him for repeating himself, but she does the same thing.  It’s bizarre.  I take it that John is on the spectrum, no?  

Im curious as to why Amy gave her rent money to her boyfriend each month and not directly to the landlord, if the lease was in her name only.  And, how would they live there for 10 months without paying rent and not get notices or eviction?  Made no sense. 

I didn’t understand the thing about not being able to find corn dogs at the carnival.  It wasn’t amusing to me. 

I am curious about Amy’s decision to paint her mother in such a negative light on the show.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

I read her autobiography a few years back so I knew what the origin of the best friend break-up was going to be.  Supposedly that actually happened (her mother having an affair and then subsequent relationship with her best friend's father).  I liked this ok and I liked Trainwreck too but it makes me wonder if she could write something that wasn't based on her life so much.  This story now includes a character based on her husband with ASD behavior.    

AFAIK her mother is still alive so I'm also curious what she has to say about this.  

• Useful 2

It wasn’t until I finished the entire series that I realized Amy keeps writing the same stuff over again. This was indeed so much like Trainwreck! Woman doing okay at her job, quits/gets fired, has one sister, wayward dad, funeral/memorial scene. I enjoyed it, but now I kind of wish it had a different lead actress.

• Love 2

I can’t past how shitty the title is. Life and Beth? Seriously, is that the best you can come up with? It reminds me of Troy McClure on “The Simpsons” talking about his new series, Handle With Care. “I play Jack Handle…”

• LOL 4

I like the show for Amy casting her friends, like Dave Atell as the rabbi plugging his social media. I don't think it's the same even if the structure is similar because she playing Beth way droll to start (I only watched the first two), and it's not necessarily supposed to be funny from her pov. 

I'm not sure I'm too invested in this 'what happened to Liz' because not letting go from high school is kind of played out (unless it's actually really tragic which ok, but still). 

I do like how the sister just hangs up the phone. The joke about Kerig and Keurig is dumb but totally an Amy joke.  

I really enjoyed this. Don’t go into it expecting a comedy; it’s more of a drama/ character study with amusing moments. The humor is fairly dry, as well. It’s a show about relationships and one woman coming to understand how her past has shaped her present. As such, it can be a little meandering, but I liked the journey and found it satisfying. I think it’s best consumed in a binge, or over the course of a few days as I did, because it’s a continuum rather than individual stories.

There is clearly a lot that has been drawn from Amy’s own life: the close relationship with her sister, her mother’s transgressions as someone noted above, and her husband who is on the autism spectrum. This does not bother me— I think it probably gives the story more depth.  I also thought the performances were very strong, especially from Michael Rappaport and Michael Cera.

My favorite part of the show was the evolving relationship between Amy Schumer and Michael Cera’s characters. It rang true to me, and was interesting. You don’t see characters like John very often, and I appreciated the writing behind that.

Spoiler

As someone who lives with a person who doesn’t always respond “appropriately“ in certain social situations, I felt her frustration at some of his reactions. I kept waiting for her to figure out that he’s austistic, not insensitive, and is simply not wired to respond like other people. I assume that will happen in the next season, if there is one.

I hope there is another season. Now that Beth has come to terms with her life and her choices, I’d like to see where she goes from here. I like Beth. I like John. I think there’s more story to be told. 

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Love 7
46 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I really enjoyed this. Don’t go into it expecting a comedy; it’s more of a drama/ character study with amusing moments. The humor is fairly dry, as well. It’s a show about relationships and one woman coming to understand how her past has shaped her present. As such, it can be a little meandering, but I liked the journey and found it satisfying. I think it’s best consumed in a binge, or over the course of a few days as I did, because it’s a continuum rather than individual stories.

There is clearly a lot that has been drawn from Amy’s own life: the close relationship with her sister, her mother’s transgressions as someone noted above, and her husband who is on the autism spectrum. This does not bother me— I think it probably gives the story more depth.  I also thought the performances were very strong, especially from Michael Rappaport and Michael Cera.

My favorite part of the show was the evolving relationship between Amy Schumer and Michael Cera’s characters. It rang true to me, and was interesting. You don’t see characters like John very often, and I appreciated the writing behind that.

Hide contents

As someone who lives with a person who doesn’t always respond “appropriately“ in certain social situations, I felt her frustration at some of his reactions. I kept waiting for her to figure out that he’s austistic, not insensitive, and is simply not wired to respond like other people. I assume that will happen in the next season, if there is one.

I hope there is another season. Now that Beth has come to terms with her life and her choices, I’d like to see where she goes from here. I like Beth. I like John. I think there’s more story to be told. 

I did enjoy it more as it went on.

My love for George Michael from Arrested Development also did not hurt.

• Love 3
On 3/23/2022 at 10:27 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I watched the entire season, except for portions when the arguing was too excessive, and I’m still not sure if I liked it.  Lol. 

I can understand that. It’s weird isn’t it?😄

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I used to think that it would be fun to be good friends with Amy….hang out, catch lunch, watch movies, etc., but now…..I don’t think I could take it.  Lol

I would totally hang out with “Oscars” Amy, but “Beth” Amy would be too much!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

There's an HBO documentary on Amy that covers her pregnancy and the making of her Netflix special. From that, I'd say actual Amy would be a fun hang. The husband was really nice too. He's a big shot chef. She seems to have good relationship with her sister. 

I'm enjoying the flashbacks. The actor playing Young Beth is doing really well, and it seems like she had to grow up too fast because of the parents' issues. It seems like Annie was just a bit too young to understand what was going on until later  . It seems like Beth might have been suffering from depression or some kind of ptsd. Obviously, the hair pulling underscored the issues. Neither of the parents were real gems. I did like that Maya has been her friend all this time. 

It seems like the scar is a metaphor.

On 3/22/2022 at 7:55 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm not sure I'm too invested in this 'what happened to Liz' because not letting go from high school is kind of played out (unless it's actually really tragic which ok, but still).

I'm quoting myself now that I found out about what happened to Liz. I'm going with tragic there, and it's her mother's fault 100%. 

On 3/23/2022 at 5:53 PM, 30 Helens said:

Don’t go into it expecting a comedy; it’s more of a drama/ character study with amusing moments.

There's always a kernel of truth in comedy, and it seems like this is coming from a place of truth. Clearly, however, it's not what one expects when seeing an "Amy Schumer" show, but I give her credit for taking the risk. It always comes down to the writing. Good stand ups are good writers. I'm always willing to check out what they want to try. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 4

I just finished the episode where Beth and farm guy fuck in somebody's yard and Beth dithers around about being mad at him or not. I came here trying to decide if I should bother finishing the show, and got a good laugh from a lot of these comments. I just don't want to end up hate watching another show about a dithering narcissist, cuz I am already burdened with Pam Adlon's show Better Things. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I just finished the episode where Beth and farm guy fuck in somebody's yard and Beth dithers around about being mad at him or not. I came here trying to decide if I should bother finishing the show, and got a good laugh from a lot of these comments. I just don't want to end up hate watching another show about a dithering narcissist, cuz I am already burdened with Pam Adlon's show Better Things. 

Oh, I get what you mean, however, this is not as bad as Better Things, imo.  Amy is annoying in this, but the good outweighs the bad, for me. I found some of the more amusing scenes were with her onscreen dad.  There’s a scene of her getting him to help impress a couple of prospective wine customers that was funny, imo.  Some scenes, weren’t as good, but it wasn’t a total waste for me.  But, I’m an Amy fan.  

Is there a thread around here for the series Expecting Amy?  It’s a docu series on HBO about her touring while pregnant.  I like it better than Life and Beth so far.  Would like to discuss it.  In their docu, you get to see the real people in Life and Beth. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I shouldered on with this show, and did enjoy Alan Rappaport in the next episode. This featured Beth's dad helping her schmooze a client because her ex put her in a ton of debt by not paying their rent, cuz he was failing at work. This was borderline a con job and totally unprofessional, but whatever. So she is in some serious financial difficultly, but the very next episode she has quit her job?! And she is being a crazy, aggressive asshole trying to usurp the volleyball coaching position away from the coach at her old high school?! Next, she continues being an asshole at her new boyfriend's farmer's market. Later, she disrupts a funeral, and finally she is unable to realize her boyfriend has some sort of disorder that makes checking his boat and other routines extremely important.

How can I not hate watch when they make Beth so unlikeable? Is Amy Schumer even aware Beth is unlikeable? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

So she is in some serious financial difficultly, but the very next episode she has quit her job?!

To be fair, Beth made a point to emphasize the commission she made on reeling in the big fish with her dad, so it's not like she quit out of hand. She was getting something from it. Prior to that scene, with just her and her dad at the bar he pointed out that she was good at her job but wasn't really loving what she did. So there was a decent narrative direction there. 

With the commission, she pays off the debts. I assumed the family house was paid for. No rent to worry about. I wouldn't say she's in a destitute position. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 2

Amy Schumer’s Life & Beth Gets Season 2 Release Date at Hulu

Life & Beth Season 2      February 16, 2024      Hulu     

10 episodes released all at once

As Beth and John’s relationship grows more serious, Beth begins to examine the possibilities of marriage and having a family, as she and John seek answers for their communication problems. Is Beth’s traumatic history with men, and people she trusted from her youth destined to repeat itself? And what is triggering her fears? Beth does her best to keep her relationships alive while struggling to support friends and family who are all facing their own problems while entering their fourth decade.

(edited)

I just started watching this show as I saw the upcoming S2 advertised when I was watching Fargo. I really enjoyed the first five episodes but found the boat episode to be really dull and awkward and I skipped to the 7th episode only to find I am not really engaged with that either. So I might not finish. I am curious what the basis was of her falling out with Liz, who seemed like a really good friend.

I like the flashbacks, and find young Beth's pain and awkwardness so reminiscent of my own adolescence that it's hard to watch.

I guess I'm a sucker for the randomness, like Matt recounting a story about meeting "Pitbulls" or Amy exasperatedly saying, it's not coffee, I don't know what else you want me to say, or the rabbi's meal plan interrupting a funeral planning meeting. That kind of stuff cracks me up.

I also really liked the instrumental version of "Wild Horses" playing at the carnival which absolutely was a nod to the scene in Fear that Amy referenced earlier in the episode. Very subtle, and the scene itself was really wistful and poignant.

Edited by Tatum

This show came up in my Hulu feed and I started watching it thinking there were only ten episodes. I guess I missed it when it first came out. Stories about mothers dying trigger me and I usually avoid, but I stuck it out for the first few episodes because I have enjoyed every other Amy Schumer project. Sadly, I am finding this pretty boring, especially the flashbacks. I actually thought the earlier episodes were funnier, and it gets less funny when John and flashbacks start taking up more time. Now that I realize I have twelve episodes to go rather than two I don't know if I'll finish.