Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E14: First Steps

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

Nice bits and snippets hinting at Parker's enigmatic character and likeability again this episode. He could have been a bit more comforting towards distraught Vance though. It was cool that Parker wanted to pull some strings with the FBI deputy director to get the cartel prisoner released to Vance... And Vance said no.

It was 47 minutes into the episode again (like last week) before they made actiony headway on the resolution and Parker rocked up as a gruff semi-truck driver to the hostage location. I love seeing the versatile Gary Cole undercover as various characters (I believe this is his first).

Interesting case of the week. I knew Kayla Vance was a one-time only guest (simply based on cbs' headcount formula for the cast). Prior to the episode, the "traditionalists" on social media were bemoaning wahwahwah they don't recognize any of the NCIS cast anymore (promo pic with Kayla Vance, Parker, Knight, Torres)

• Love 5

Kayla wasn't annoying or anything but I'm glad that she will be moving to another office. I kept waiting for Vance to say that he was sending her to LA or Hawai'i....

I found myself yelling at the TV ..."but what about the zebras???" as the episode ended...I think that's a first for me...

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I am so sick of "family member in danger" plots. 

Yes to that and they seem to be cropping up everywhere.

Also, the boss/underling scenario is getting beat to death on quite a few current shows.

• Love 3
(edited)

I liked this episode.  Happy to see more Vances, as I have liked Rocky Carroll since his days on Roc and I thought probie Vance was immediately likeable.   I was sorry she wasn’t gonna be a regular because I thought she showed promise as a character/agent and it would give Vance more storyline (still mad they didn’t have him have a relationship with Jack or whatever her name was).  

I don’t watch the other NCISes but I think she should be on one of them, as it’s always cool when you tie-in spin-offs to the mothership. 

I don’t think this show is done.  I watch because I like the characters - current and past - and they are what keep me turning in - not the catch the criminal plots.  But yes if you don’t like the new cast, then I can see why you won’t want to watch anymore 

18 minutes ago, VanillaBeanne said:

Edited by VanillaBeanne
  • Love 4

We were talking last week on how baby Victoria got the miracle aging-up that happens with kids so often on these shows.

I think Kayla also got "aged up" a little as well.  I didn't think she'd be old enough to have graduated college and had enough experience under her belt to be immediately hired by a Federal Agency then get through FLETC.  The timing doesn't work out.  Maybe she got hired into NCIS immediately upon graduation, but that seems unlikely.  Unless there are demonstrated special skills (McGee with his computer background), I think the Feds like a little experience under their belt before they hire someone.  And even McGee with his multiple graduate degrees wasn't 21 or 22 when he hired in, like Kayla surely is.

When I saw the plot synopsis, I assumed Kayla was there as an intern in college getting caught up in the case, not a full-fledged probationary agent.  Oh well.  I suppose next week McGee's twins will be driving and getting into some mishap at Rock Creek Park.

OMG.  The look on Parker's face when everyone was discussing their "first time."  I take back everything I ever said about not liking Gary Cole.  He is awesome.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

OMG.  The look on Parker's face when everyone was discussing their "first time."  I take back everything I ever said about not liking Gary Cole.  He is awesome.

That and the whole zebra thing saved the episode from becoming a perfect snooze feast. 'Family member in danger' plus 'freaking out in the interrogation room because this time it's personal' are tropes that should be sent to a farm upstate.

• Love 15
(edited)
15 hours ago, Poohpoohpooh said:

I love seeing the versatile Gary Cole undercover as various characters (I believe this is his first).

I'm enjoying his character a lot.  And I want to hear the rest of the zebra story, damn it!

10 minutes ago, 4merBachAddict said:

JMO: I seriously doubt NCIS- or MOST places of employment - would EVER assign a parent to be their child's superior! And the reasons 'why' were totally evident through out last night's episode!

Most (if not all) government agencies have rules about family members working together so this would never happen.  And about coworkers dating but that ship has already sailed.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, Trey said:

I am so sick of "family member in danger" plots. 

I particularly hate “family jeopardy” plots and try to avoid them like the plague. The exception would be family doing in one another. Ransoms, preying on weakness, innocent victims, no thanks. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Kayla wasn't annoying or anything but I'm glad that she will be moving to another office. I kept waiting for Vance to say that he was sending her to LA or Hawai'i....

Actually, she should go to NCIS, New Orleans and be done with her.

• LOL 3
(edited)

I'm always glad when Vance gets more focus. Kayla wasn't extremely annoying  just slightly, but Vance has a sweet dynamic with her. I love that he was more than ready and willing to go out in the field and get his hands dirty when it came to his baby girl. 

Edited by mommalib
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I found myself yelling at the TV ..."but what about the zebras???" as the episode ended...I think that's a first for me...

At the end, while Vance and Kayla were sitting on the bench, I thought he was going to say something to the effect that it’s time for him to step back, and let another Vance serve NCIS.  Noooo!  I, too, have loved RC since his time on Roc.  I’m down with Kayla moving along.  I’m sure she will be dropping in again.  
Yeah, what about the zebras?  I can see that story being pulled along on an arc.  Maybe culminating in Parker finally telling the  rest of the story, oddly relevantly, in the midst of a firefight or some such.  

15 hours ago, VanillaBeanne said:

I liked this episode.  Happy to see more Vances, as I have liked Rocky Carroll since his days on Roc and I thought probie Vance was immediately likeable.   I was sorry she wasn’t gonna be a regular because I thought she showed promise as a character/agent and it would give Vance more storyline (still mad they didn’t have him have a relationship with Jack or whatever her name was).  

I don’t watch the other NCISes but I think she should be on one of them, as it’s always cool when you tie-in spin-offs to the mothership. 

I don’t think this show is done.  I watch because I like the characters - current and past - and they are what keep me turning in - not the catch the criminal plots.  But yes if you don’t like the new cast, then I can see why you won’t want to watch anymore 

Kayla got on my nerves in about 5 seconds.  I agree, it's difficult to like any show when you don't like the characters.  The only character I don't like on NCIS is Kasie.  Her characters tries to be funny but doesn't work for me.  Bring back Abby any day! 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, rr2911 said:

Kayla got on my nerves in about 5 seconds. 

I was done with her the moment she ignored the orders of her trainer.  I know people are always doing stuff like that on this show, but it still bugs.

• Love 4

Did you try CBS.com?  I think they usually have the last few episodes available for free on the website.  Of course you'll get ads, but you'd get those from On Demand as well.

Edited by HurricaneVal
needed to add details.

I thought that this season has been a cut above the last few but

On 3/9/2022 at 1:08 PM, proserpina65 said:

I was done with her the moment she ignored the orders of her trainer.  I know people are always doing stuff like that on this show, but it still bugs.

Yes. And Leon acting like an idiot first because he was bending the rules as her boss and later because he's a distraught dad.

Other than Parker's 'first time' and the zebras, this was so, so bad.

• Love 2

Catching up on NCIS lately.

Kayla... I thought she was supposed to be a trained agent? She not only got ambushed by the mobster guy, but made no attempt to get free as he kidnapped her. If it was any of the main cast they would've broken out some Judo moves or something and laid that guy's ass out. Then she just sits in a chair and makes no attempt to escape at any point. Kayla's only contribution was talking down her other captor once she got held hostage... again. You would think that FLETC would've trained her for this exact sort of situation.