Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Bachelor & Bachelorette Parties

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Gee, just when I thought that maybe Shayne wasn't so bad after all he flips out about not getting any wood on the ball at Wrigley Field and I'm back to "Run, Natalie, run!"

Not fair, show! It ended on Nick sweating profusely and looking sick to his stomach after Danielle says "I do". Not a good sign.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 4

8 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Not fair, show! It ended on Nick sweating profusely and looking sick to his stomach after Danielle says "I do". Not a good sign.

Why is he sweating so hard? Did they shine a heat lamp on him?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, SoapDoc said:

Why is he sweating so hard? Did they shine a heat lamp on him?

I'm hoping it's food poisoning and not fear of telling Danielle he's changed his mind (or COVID). He was sweating and looking ill as he walked down the aisle to stand in front of the clergyman, and none of the seated guests were sweating at all.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

I'm hoping it's food poisoning and not fear of telling Danielle he's changed his mind (or COVID). He was sweating and looking ill as he walked down the aisle to stand in front of the clergyman, and none of the seated guests were sweating at all.

That seems like the best answer, but I suspect he is scared to tell Danielle he is not ready to sign up for her self-sabotaging and circular fights. He did promise her that he would be there no matter what...

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, SoapDoc said:

I suspect he is scared to tell Danielle he is not ready to sign up for her self-sabotaging

Maybe he's testing her commitment to the vow "In sickness and in health". I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt because he could have called this off any time before it got to the altar, and it's just cruel to dump her in front of her family and friends. I'd like to think none of these guys are that mean. I may be wrong, but I want to believe it anyway.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

Maybe he's testing her commitment to the vow "In sickness and in health". I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt because he could have called this off any time before it got to the altar, and it's just cruel to dump her in front of her family and friends. I'd like to think none of these guys are that mean. I may be wrong, but I want to believe it anyway.

I agree that it would be mean. I think he intended to say I do but is having trouble getting the words out in the moment...

• Love 1

I think the participants are encouraged to make it all the way to the altar before they announce their intentions. Creates drama and there is always the possibility one or both parties will walk away.  That was sheer flopsweat on Nick. He had no noticable reaction to Danielle being all dolled up for the big event. Usually the groom manages a grin, if not a big smile seeing his bride as she comes down the aisle. Nick looked like he was going to puke. My prediction is that he says thanks but no thanks, and I think she'll be secretly relieved. 

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 14

It might be horrible but I hope that Nick says "no."  It's better to say no then end up in an incompatible relationship.  It'd be easy to blame Danielle's insecurities and I do but ultimately, I think there are things about each other that just won't work and aren't the fault of one person over another.  Although, Danielle, I don't get criticizing Nick for trying to be respectful of your boundaries the first night you got together. Just because he's your fiance doesn't mean he doesn't need to ask for consent to make sure you're comfortable with what is happening.  And biting?  Of course she'd like to make people bleed. 

I get what her friend was saying about never being 100% before getting married but this girl needs to be more than where she now with herself.

Iyanna and Jarrette also shouldn't get married. He's living his life like a single guy.  Going out until 3 a.m. multiple times during the week and not just weekends?  That's okay if it were part of his job.  I think she's checked out of it.  And he might be as well.  Especially since they don't know one another.

• Love 9

I've been keen on Natalie and Shane from episode one. Thank God Shaina got nowhere! But the psycho eyes at the stadium was offputting.

How is Deeps going to feel watching this air, with all the 'aunt' comments, if they do get married (or if they don't, even)?

Those two couples are the only ones I'm invested in. I just fast forward through the others, ha.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, Hpmec said:

I think the participants are encouraged to make it all the way to the altar before they announce their intentions. Creates drama and there is always the possibility one or both parties will walk away.  That was sheer flopsweat on Nick. He had no noticable reaction to Danielle being all dolled up for the big event. Usually the groom manages a grin, if not a big smile seeing his bride as she comes down the aisle. Nick looked like he was going to puke. My prediction is thst he says thanks but no thanks, and I think she'll be secretly relieved. 

I think there is a lot of creative editing for that scene. I don’t know why he’s sweating so hard, but I don’t think the editing is playing fair either. I hope he says no, though. Danielle needs some serious work on herself before she tries to get married. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, violet and green said:

How is Deeps going to feel watching this air, with all the 'aunt' comments, if they do get married (or if they don't, even)?

They were both raised in a culture that has arranged marriages; I'll bet they've both been told stories about successful marriages in their families that didn't start out with the screaming purple hornies.

He may be playing to the camera with all the "aunt" comments. At least he can explain it to Deeps that way afterwards. 

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

I never want to hear Sal sing ever again. I'm dead serious.

I don't mind it, and Mallory seems ok with it. That may be one of the few things she likes about him. I think his roomie has the better voice, though.

Is Mallory a 24x7 party person? Because JerBear sure seems to be, and I'm not sure he would have worked any better with Mallory than Iyanna.

Now I'm starting to wonder if Shaina said yes to poor Kyle just so she could stay on the show longer. If she turned him down immediately that would have been the end of her time on camera. Was it so she could have another shot at Shayne later?

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

I don't mind it, and Mallory seems ok with it. That may be one of the few things she likes about him. I think his roomie has the better voice, though.

That's fine. It's also not about whether or not he's good. As a person watching a tv show, i'm tired of hearing him sing whenever he gets the chance. I just don't want to hear it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

As a person watching a tv show, i'm tired of hearing him sing whenever he gets the chance. I just don't want to hear it. 

Don't watch the Japanese version, then, there's a female contestant who whips out her guitar and sings whenever the girls get together outside of the pods. 

• LOL 10
35 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

Don't watch the Japanese version, then, there's a female contestant who whips out her guitar and sings whenever the girls get together outside of the pods. 

Yep, that is a no for me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

The most uncomfortable part of this show is the weddings. Making the couple get all dressed up and having guests there like a real wedding and then asking them whether or not they want to go through with it is just cruel. Would be so much better if the couple came to a joint decision in advance and only then proceeded with the event if they were both on the same page. Or, if not, simply shook hands and walked away or decided to keep seeing each other to see where it led. That scenario would be much more realistic and  less cringe inducing. I can understand people signing up for the experiment, but the rush rush wedding and potential humilation at the altar is just too much. Witness Nick's sweat. He looked like he was about to pass out. 

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I never want to hear Sal sing ever again. I'm dead serious.

I don't mind his voice but I hate big grand public gestures like that. The meal he prepared for them at home, fine. Serenading me in public, no thank you.

I've never understood having the bachelor(ette) party the day before the wedding. I mean, I get that it's the last night of being single, but I want to wake up rested and refreshed on my wedding day.

5 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I hope he says no, though. Danielle needs some serious work on herself before she tries to get married. 

Me too. I think they can keep dating but I don't think she's ready for marriage. Danielle said that he told her that morning that he didn't think she was ready, and I think he's right. At one point one of them said that if they were fighting this much after just a few weeks of regular dating, they'd break up. Nick has been really patient but her insecurity and the way it means she turns everything into an argument has got to be frustrating. I've lost count of how many times I've thought "how did we get here?" when she's picked a fight about something. He can't be the only thing that props her up - and she needs to prop him up too, and I'm not sure she can yet. He's been very reassuring with her but I am not sure she is capable of giving him that kind of reassurance back.

On 2/18/2022 at 9:40 AM, NeenerNeener said:

Nick sweating profusely

He was sweaty as fuck! I can only imagine what his shirt looked like.

Any predictions for who gets married?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

Any predictions for who gets married?

Shake and Deepti have a better chance of it than any of the others.

I think Mallory is going to back out because she's not into Sal enough to marry him.

JerBear isn't willing to give up the single life and will tell Iyanna that at their wedding.

Shayne and Natalie...if she hasn't run away screaming yet they might actually get married too. I'm really surprised they've lasted this long, to be honest. 

Nick looks like he's going to drop dead before he can say whether he does or doesn't.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

JerBear isn't willing to give up the single life and will tell Iyanna that at their wedding.

If they don't work I want Iyanna to be the one to say no. She's made it clear that she still has some feelings about not having been chosen first (I would too; I'm not sure I'd have accepted). Plus I don't want Jarrette to disappoint his dad, who is so looking forward to performing the ceremony.

14 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

Nick looks like he's going to drop dead before he can say whether he does or doesn't.

He really does look unwell. It's not just the sweating (I tend to sweat a lot too, and it's summer in Chicago so I'm sure it's hot and he's in a suit); his facial expression basically says "[gulp]."

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Hpmec said:

The most uncomfortable part of this show is the weddings. Making the couple get all dressed up and having guests there like a real wedding and then asking them whether or not they want to go through with it is just cruel. Would be so much better if the couple came to a joint decision in advance and only then proceeded with the event if they were both on the same page. Or, if not, simply shook hands and walked away or decided to keep seeing each other to see where it led. That scenario would be much more realistic and  less cringe inducing. I can understand people signing up for the experiment, but the rush rush wedding and potential humilation at the altar is just too much. Witness Nick's sweat. He looked like he was about to pass out. 

Eliminating the biggest drama of the series? Surely you jest.

This whole process could be handled in a way that is much kinder to everyone but it would also make the concept pointless. They are still making a tv show. They just as easily could not propose and meet up on the outside. You sign up, get a free wedding, get to be on tv and that's the price you pay.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

Eliminating the biggest drama of the series? Surely you jest.

This whole process could be handled in a way that is much kinder to everyone but it would also make the concept pointless. They are still making a tv show. They just as easily could not propose and meet up on the outside. You sign up, get a free wedding, get to be on tv and that's the price you pay.

Oh,  I get the reasoning behind the will they or won't they drama, but it makes the contestants look stupid for getting involved in the first place. Anyone know if they collect a paycheck for showing up at all and a bonus if they get engaged and are followed to the conclusion? I woukd think some sort of decent financial incentive might be behind it. The only people I've ever known who were on a "reality" show was House Hunters. They had already bought the place they ultimately chose prior to filming and were given a paycheck for appearing. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Hpmec said:

Anyone know if they collect a paycheck for showing up at all and a bonus if they get engaged and are followed to the conclusion?

I don't think they get paid but I could be wrong.  I imagine the financial incentive is in Instagram followers...etc.

I believe they have to go through with the wedding.  Or at least that's what Vanessa Lachey said last season.  Clearly, they're not forced because we've had Kyle and Shaina breaking up.  And Carlton and Diamond broke up in Mexico last season.  I do think a breakup usually means the end of your camera time, though. 

I suspect the show really wanted the Shaina and Shayne convo/drama so they broke that rule for her and let her come to that party. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Hpmec said:

Oh,  I get the reasoning behind the will they or won't they drama, but it makes the contestants look stupid for getting involved in the first place. Anyone know if they collect a paycheck for showing up at all and a bonus if they get engaged and are followed to the conclusion? I woukd think some sort of decent financial incentive might be behind it. The only people I've ever known who were on a "reality" show was House Hunters. They had already bought the place they ultimately chose prior to filming and were given a paycheck for appearing. 

I don't think reality TV pays that well - I think the House Hunters get, like, $500 and they have to do all the work themselves to find the houses they pretend to see (House Hunters is completely fake). The money might come afterward - Cameron and Lauren have managed to parlay their time on the show into what I assume are lucrative content and sponsorships, etc. If you go on the Bachelor(ette) you might get instagram-famous or become the next Bachelor(ette), etc. If the "looking for love" reality shows paid people a lot of money, you'd have people applying just for the money - you already have people who go on there just to be on TV.

I remember in the first season, Amber was spending up all Barnett's money with the wedding and he was stressed about it, so I think the cast actually pays for their own weddings. A quick Google search tells me the cast is paid very little but the source is "someone close to the show," so grain of salt.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

They were both raised in a culture that has arranged marriages; I'll bet they've both been told stories about successful marriages in their families that didn't start out with the screaming purple hornies.

I'm not at all attracted to her kind of crosses all cultures, I think.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, violet and green said:

I'm not at all attracted to her kind of crosses all cultures, I think.

True. But he knows how arranged marriages work. The couple has to work on that attraction.  He says that everything else about Deepti is perfect except that. Was he working on it? They hadn't really tried yet.

It seems like he was waiting for lightning to strike him and that's not how that works. Shane had the right idea: get in there every night and see how it goes. Talking about it wasn't going to answer his question.

It is possible that it might not happen for them. But if he really wants the relationship to work, put in the work to see what magic might happen. Deepti was down to try...

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I remember in the first season, Amber was spending up all Barnett's money with the wedding and he was stressed about it, so I think the cast actually pays for their own weddings. A quick Google search tells me the cast is paid very little but the source is "someone close to the show," so grain of salt.

If I remember correctly from last season, they get a set budget for the wedding.  If they want to go over that budget, they have to pay for it themselves.  I believe the same thing is true for the wedding attire.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
29 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

If I remember correctly from last season, they get a set budget for the wedding.  If they want to go over that budget, they have to pay for it themselves.  I believe the same thing is true for the wedding attire.

Ah, so I guess Amber was going over. She was definitely spending her/his money.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Ah, so I guess Amber was going over. She was definitely spending her/his money.

Their money situation was deceptive.  They both had debt but the show decided to make it seem like it was only Amber.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SoapDoc said:

True. But he knows how arranged marriages work. The couple has to work on that attraction. 

My point is that Deeps has no knowledge that he has zero attraction to her. She's attracted to him. And he has no attraction to her, and she is unaware of that fact. Whether or not they can develop it, or are going to marry based on their fabulous connection as friends (I think they should!) is another thing. But I think it is humiliating for her to be viewed and discussed in this way, without her having any idea he feels like this.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, violet and green said:

My point is that Deeps has no knowledge that he has zero attraction to her. She's attracted to him. And he has no attraction to her, and she is unaware of that fact.

I don't think she doesn't know that.  In fact, didn't they talk about it in this episode?  And the way they did made it seem like it wasn't the first time she was hearing it.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

In fact, didn't they talk about it in this episode? 

They talked about something, but they didn't talk about her turning him off by reminding him (as he's said in the producer interviews over and over and over) of his aunt.

I think it's hurtful.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, violet and green said:

My point is that Deeps has no knowledge that he has zero attraction to her. She's attracted to him. And he has no attraction to her, and she is unaware of that fact. Whether or not they can develop it, or are going to marry based on their fabulous connection as friends (I think they should!) is another thing. But I think it is humiliating for her to be viewed and discussed in this way, without her having any idea he feels like this.

In this episode (I think it was this ep), he told her about his lack of attraction on screen. I seem to remember her mentioning before this ep that they hadn't had sex but I could be blurring scenes together.

Basically, your point is correct: I don't think he should just be talking about the situation to everyone he meets.😮 I do believe Deepti is at least somewhat aware of how he feels because they haven't slept together yet.

I think they can work on it as people in arranged marriages do. He needs to work on it and stop waiting for something to happen. That's all.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, violet and green said:

They talked about something, but they didn't talk about her turning him off by reminding him (as he's said in the producer interviews over and over and over) of his aunt.

I think it's hurtful.

But we don't know that they didn't.  That's why I said that it felt like this wasn't the first time they discussed this issue and we clearly haven't seen those previous conversations to know what and wasn't said.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, violet and green said:

That is my original comment. I feel the aunt comparisons are hurtful. I still think they have the best chance of actually having a marriage, and life together, and actually being happy and compatible.

We don't know what was said, we don't know what wasn't, but we do have repeated footage of him telling the producers, the world, random fellow contestants she feels like his aunt, to him, sexually. I find that hard to spin as a compliment!

The end.

Edited by violet and green
typo
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, violet and green said:

We don't know what was said, we don't know what wasn't, but we do have repeated footage of him telling the producers, the world, random fellow contestants she feels like his aunt, to him, sexually. I find that hard to spin as a compliment!

I agree.  But I don't think anyone is trying to say that it's a compliment just that Deeps likely isn't in the dark about his issues.

• Love 2

Sal and his ukulele can get off my screen.

Glad Shaina wasn’t at the bach parties. I would have yeeted her off the side of the boat.

I want Nick to say no and I want Danielle’s mom off my tv. That woman is toxic.

Is anyone else wondering what Shake’s aunt looks like?

My favorite thing about this is Deepti and Iyanna’s friendship. Those two are my favorite couple.

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, dbell1 said:

Sal and his ukulele can get off my screen.

Glad Shaina wasn’t at the bach parties. I would have yeeted her off the side of the boat.

I want Nick to say no and I want Danielle’s mom off my tv. That woman is toxic.

Is anyone else wondering what Shake’s aunt looks like?

My favorite thing about this is Deepti and Iyanna’s friendship. Those two are my favorite couple.

Is Shake saying she reminds him of his biologically related aunt, or an “auntie”? As I understand it, in the Indian culture, older women are called “auntie” out of respect. Not that it makes it much better, but I never took it as he was talking about his mother or father’s sister.  

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

Is Shake saying she reminds him of his biologically related aunt, or an “auntie”? As I understand it, in the Indian culture, older women are called “auntie” out of respect. Not that it makes it much better, but I never took it as he was talking about his mother or father’s sister.  

I thought he said an auntie. Like as if she looked older. 

• Love 3

I suspect in Shake’s mind he has long desexualized Indian women. Perhaps it’s sort of similar to a Madonna/whore complex. There’s his mom and aunties and then there are the “other” women, whom for years have been his vision of what constitutes “hot.” 

And now he’s torn because he knows she’s perfect for him. PERFECT. And Although I think Shayne is bad news as a fiancé, in this case he’s right. They need to start being sexual. Because either he’ll get over his issues, or he won’t. 

• Love 24
1 hour ago, Cramps said:

I suspect in Shake’s mind he has long desexualized Indian women. Perhaps it’s sort of similar to a Madonna/whore complex. There’s his mom and aunties and then there are the “other” women, whom for years have been his vision of what constitutes “hot.” 

Not just other women - white women specifically, and I think he said blonde women even more specifically, although I could be wrong about that. I think all his friends are white too - the ones I remember seeing in this episode were. I suspect he's spent a lot of his life in predominantly white circles and spaces and either unintentionally (there weren't any Indian women to choose from) or intentionally (there were Indian women to choose from but he passed them over in favor of white ones) internalized some biases. I suspect he has associated desirability with whiteness - didn't he say he was realizing he'd dated those women to fit in (which is actually a huge realization)? I've seen this happen with other POC groups too. 

Deepti said she's only dated white men too, but she seems to be all-in with Shake and she's definitely attracted to him.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, violet and green said:

We don't know what was said, we don't know what wasn't, but we do have repeated footage of him telling the producers, the world, random fellow contestants she feels like his aunt, to him, sexually.

But does he mean it, or was he creating drama for camera time? It's hard to tell.

3 hours ago, kitkat68 said:

I thought he said an auntie. Like as if she looked older. 

Naw. He said "she reminds me of my aunt."  And then he doubled down and reiterated she felt like a family member.  I actually laughed when Shayne said 'You have to spice it up somehow" and Shake said "With your aunt?"  And then Shane was all "turn off the lights, put on some Boys II Men". ha!  I thought Shayne's advice to him was sound.  But damn, the way they were talking about it was like a version of 'lie back and think of England.' And It still isn't clear if they actually went to bone town after their massage date.  I imagine if they had we'd have heard about it.  You can only hope that they got married and they are magic in the sack and Deepti can watch this now and laugh about it all.

"I want to fuck you emotionally before I actually fuck you.  Before I find out if you are good in bed, I want to find out if you are good in the head."  -- Oh Shake.  Oh honey, no.  Just no.  This did not sound the way I think you meant it to.

Sal's serenade felt like it went on two minutes too long.  He and Mallory still do nothing for me.  I imagine they will get married and I won't care.  If one of them says no, I am gonna say it'll be her that backs out.

I am amazed, but after going all season rooting for no one, I am rather rooting for Shayne and Natalie.

My pendulum swings on Jarrette and Iyanna.  But I after their date when she finally says to him,  "I'm a ten out of ten.  I still need action but I am trusting that you will show me that." I feel like the swing is is back toward a 'yes' for them.  She seems to be the one with the biggest doubts and reservations and I feel like with that statement she has gotten some peace.  Also reading between the lines with her conversation with Deepti, it seems like he was able to calm her issues with his Mallory decision.  So we'll see.  Even though I am not 10 out of 10 for them, I do think I'll be a little sad if they don't marry.

Their Bachelor/ette parties were nice.  Nicer than S1 parties, tbh. I loved Natalie's outfit. 

Nick looked like he was simultaneously about to melt and hurl at the altar.  It is mean but I laughed.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
41 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

And then Shane was all "turn off the lights, put on some Boys II Men". ha!  I thought Shayne's advice to him was sound.  But damn, the way they were talking about it was like a version of 'lie back and think of England.' And It still isn't clear if they actually went to bone town after their massage date.  I imagine if they had we'd have heard about it.

Ha.  I thought of "think back and think of England" too.  I think the advice was sound as long as Deepti was a participant and not just used as an "experiment." If he wants to start sexualizing Indian women, he should start with porn.

But I don't think the show would tell us if they did the deed. Shake getting over his sexual hangups is this couple's pressure point.  Their decision at the alter seems to ride on whether or not they can so if they told us they had sex, it'd take away much of the suspense.

On 2/19/2022 at 10:33 AM, Racj82 said:

Yep, that is a no for me.

Ukele girl in LIB: Japan is part of a third tier couple so she's not on very much.

• Love 2

Danielle represents all that's wrong with girls in America, and perhaps of the rest of the world (you get your perfect guy, complain about how he's too perfect, eventually drive him away and then moan about it). Maybe the pleasure comes from moaning. I hope the conflict is for TV only, but if it's real I hope Nick finds sometimes else.

I can't find any fault with Nick, maybe for her that's the problem. He likes being neat, likes owning his home, likes not breaking things, likes quirky natural products. Wow what a horrible guy.

With regards to Shane, Shake, Salvador, and the black dude, all these guys seem to be very established and successful with nice apartments whereas the girls still live in their parents house and dependant on their parents. Is this the example we want to show to younger viewers?

Edited by William2021
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Not just other women - white women specifically, and I think he said blonde women even more specifically, although I could be wrong about that. I think all his friends are white too - the ones I remember seeing in this episode were. I suspect he's spent a lot of his life in predominantly white circles and spaces and either unintentionally (there weren't any Indian women to choose from) or intentionally (there were Indian women to choose from but he passed them over in favor of white ones) internalized some biases. I suspect he has associated desirability with whiteness - didn't he say he was realizing he'd dated those women to fit in (which is actually a huge realization)? I've seen this happen with other POC groups too. 

Deepti said she's only dated white men too, but she seems to be all-in with Shake and she's definitely attracted to him.

He has a type, what's wrong with that? Should the world force him to be with a type that he just doesn't find attractive?