Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Love Triangles

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Shaina and Kyle aren't going to make it. An atheist and a Christian? And she just wanted to be wanted after Shayne picked Natalie. She should have said no. "I care about Kyle a lot, but ..." when you're sobbing after having just getting engaged? Nah, this isn't going to work (and it shouldn't, honestly).

I don't think "Shake" and "Deeps" are going to make it either.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

Shaina and Kyle aren't going to make it. An atheist and a Christian?

I know.  Love is blind but is it also deaf?  I thought not being able to see one another was supposed to eliminate making these rash decisions like getting engaged to someone whose core values are so different.  A religious and non-religious person can make it work but only if they don't really care.  I don't think Kyle cares all that much as long as he isn't forced to do religion but Shaina is the type who cares.  She wants to share church with her spouse. 

And she's another one who is worried about a broken engagement but is doing this?!?  Throughout the proposal, all I saw was her making sure she got her Instagram followers one way or the other.

2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Through watching this version and the Japanese version, I sometimes wonder if this fast process leads people to connect over shared cultural shorthand.  It must be nice to be able to talk about family traditions that the person you're talking to also understands. 

• Love 10
27 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Through watching this version and the Japanese version, I sometimes wonder if this fast process leads people to connect over shared cultural shorthand.  It must be nice to be able to talk about family traditions that the person you're talking to also understands. 

Could be. I honestly just think Shake really likes blonde white women. I think once the novelty of seeing her for the first time and the whirlwind of the experience slows down, he's going to be lukewarm about her looks.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Could be. I honestly just think Shake really likes blonde white women. I think once the novelty of seeing her for the first time and the whirlwind of the experience slows down, he's going to be lukewarm about her looks.

Maybe.  She also likes blondes.  But he could also be a guy who dates white women but marries someone of the same background in the end. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, ElsbethTascioni said:

Kyle is a straight up idiot. She's not even just a spiritual person, or a reasonable Christian, she straight up said she doesn't believe in evolution. That is such a massive difference in core values.

I don’t even like Shaina but that is crazy. She doesn’t believe in evolution (that would be a deal-breaker for me) and wants her person to go to church with her, and she was trying to convince him of her beliefs, and he still thinks it can work? Boy, where? How?

She should have said no. It’s okay to acknowledge that some people are fundamentally incompatible. It’s one thing to bail over, like “he likes to be really active on vacation and I like to chill and read.” That’s small and you can work around it. But core things like attitudes about money, politics, lifestyle (urban vs. rural, career-oriented vs. not, if you’re career-oriented, does someone’s career take priority, will parents live with us as they age, etc.) kids/no kids/how will we raise kids, and religion … you need to be aligned on those things. This isn’t a case of “I’m spiritual and go to church occasionally” and an atheist- she doesn’t believe in evolution. 

• Love 22

Yikes. Shaina. I agree college is not for everyone, but she comes off as aggressively anti-intellectual. 

Shake showed a little growth in this one.  I think maybe there was some convo on the men's side that pointed out his superficiality.  I wish we had seen that.

17 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Yeah.  Me neither.  I didn't feel any connection between them at all.  At one point she said "So excited!!" But she seemed to say it like she was convincing herself. Also even with his 'growth' he is still giving off some major red flags to me.

• Love 10
19 hours ago, Empress1 said:

The really weird thing is, based on their shared cultural heritage, you would think they would be the ones to make a success of their marriage. I'd bet each one of them has at least one set of still-married grandparents that were an arranged marriage.

• Love 3

Am I confused, or was Shaina  the one who was talking about how into sex she was? I suppose you could simultaneously be super-religious to the point that you disbelieve in evolution and to be all about sex, but that seems a disconnect for me.

Giving a heirloom ring to someone I just met? No fricking way. 

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Am I confused, or was Shaina  the one who was talking about how into sex she was? I suppose you could simultaneously be super-religious to the point that you disbelieve in evolution and to be all about sex, but that seems a disconnect for me.

That's her.  Sex tends to feel good so a lot of people, regardless of how religious they are, end up having sex before they get married.  Especially if they are still not married at 30.  I had a Christian woman once describe her Christianity to me accepting Jesus as her lord and savior.  Period.  And as long as she did that, any "sins" she committed would be forgiven. I'm not saying that's everyone's mentality but it was hers once she got tired of waiting for "the one."

The church can preach no sex before marriage but very few actually practice it and it's understood that very few practice it.

• Love 4

So, I hate all of these couples from today's episode.

I liked Deepti, but I hate Shake and the fact that she loves him makes me dislike her.

What's her name?  Is this Shayna?  Kyle is absolutely crazy off his rocker.  I was liking him so much until this point too.

What can I even say about Asshole and Natalie?  I wouldn't even socialize with Shayne casually.  He's clearly a dick, terrible with conflict, has no ability to take blame and apologize.  

These couples all suck.

• Love 13

I agree and I don't give them too long if they even do get married. I liked Shania in the beginning, but when she was in the pod talking to Kyle, all that messing with her hair drove me batty. I really like Illayna, she is so pretty and she deserved to be first choice of any man in my eye. 

• Love 7
On 2/11/2022 at 8:53 PM, Empress1 said:

Shaina and Kyle aren't going to make it. An atheist and a Christian? And she just wanted to be wanted after Shayne picked Natalie. She should have said no. "I care about Kyle a lot, but ..." when you're sobbing after having just getting engaged? Nah, this isn't going to work (and it shouldn't, honestly).

19 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

What's her name?  Is this Shayna?  Kyle is absolutely crazy off his rocker.  I was liking him so much until this point too.

What can I even say about Asshole and Natalie?  I wouldn't even socialize with Shayne casually.  He's clearly a dick, terrible with conflict, has no ability to take blame and apologize.  

These couples all suck.

I had really hoped that after Shaina went to Shayne and did her too-late proclamation of love, that he would take her back, to spare Natalie from making such a huge mistake.  If the scene we saw with Natalie and Shayne was not edited, then she did absolutely nothing to hold him accountable for how he had reacted the previous day.  In fact, by mentioning that she was disappointed (or whatever she said), but not having any kind of conversation about it, she has emboldened him to pull that kind of crap more often.

Shaina is truly an idiot.  Nothing about the proposal -- from the start when she saw the ring box, through the end when he asked her -- had any positive association with her, but she said yes anyway.  It didn't help that Kyle said she reminds him of her mother.  My prediction, if she goes through with it, is that she will turn him down after she sees him, for his appearance not being up to her standard.  And neither of them explored what it means for an atheist to be married to a Christian with such strong beliefs that they eschew science.

• Love 12

Omg Kyle you're a fucking idiot. She will never stop trying to convert you. Trust me, I know the type.

I think Kyle was pressured by producers to propose.

Shaina just wants the fame of the show. And the only way to have that is to get engaged. She wanted Shayne but worried she wouldn't be his top pick. So she settled. Shades of Jessica and Mark.

There's no way they make it down the aisle.

Edited by P2C2E
  • Love 11

I spend a lot of time while watching this show mumbling "Oh honey, no." under my breath.  Natalie... Kyle... Deepti (though those two might just surprise me)...

I am amazed Shaina didn't make some snotty comment about the size of Kyle's mother's ring (Kyle, honey.  No.).

I can't look away from this train wreck.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
On 2/12/2022 at 3:55 PM, NeenerNeener said:

The really weird thing is, based on their shared cultural heritage, you would think they would be the ones to make a success of their marriage. I'd bet each one of them has at least one set of still-married grandparents that were an arranged marriage.

Yeah but that's because the majority of arranged marriages are done by matchmakers who make sure that the couple have all the important things in common (shared values, family backgrounds, religion, life goals, etc).  It's not just randomly pairing two people together and making it work.  I wasn't really a fan of Shake but I try not to judge people on these types of shows too harshly because a lot can be manipulated through editing (except for Shayne, he's a garbage person), so maybe he's actually a decent guy who just said a few insenitive things.  I'm sure we'll see either way in the next few episodes.

I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around people like Kyle and Shaina.  The second the religious differences came up, they should have been "You're nice and all but this isn't going to work long term."  I'm always confused when I hear people say things like, "I'd like to get married but my boyfriend doesn't believe in marriage" or "I'd like to have kids but my girlfriend doesn't want them".  Like, what are you doing?  You should be with someone who fits into what you want out of life, not build your life around somebody else's wants.  And everyone on this show is old enough to know this.  It's not like they're 20 year olds who are just figuring out dating and relationships.  

I like Mallory but I get a bad vibe off of Sal.  Out of all the guys they've shown so far, I definitely like Jarrette the best.  

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around people like Kyle and Shaina.  The second the religious differences came up, they should have been "You're nice and all but this isn't going to work long term."  I'm always confused when I hear people say things like, "I'd like to get married but my boyfriend doesn't believe in marriage" or "I'd like to have kids but my girlfriend doesn't want them".  Like, what are you doing?  You should be with someone who fits into what you want out of life, not build your life around somebody else's wants.  And everyone on this show is old enough to know this.  It's not like they're 20 year olds who are just figuring out dating and relationships.  

This. Shades of Jessica and Mark indeed. She knows that he is not the right choice, but she said yes because she wants to stay on the show and she couldn't have the guy she actually wanted. Zero chance of this succeeding.

• Love 16
On 2/11/2022 at 8:53 PM, Empress1 said:

She'll try to convert him through their engagement but he feels comfortable saying that he's an athiest so he's not going to change a thing and I can't imagine that he'd actually be ok with his kids being raised in an evangelical church or having those values in his life.  It all depends on how malleable she is though if she ends up being able to leave her super religious life behind.

On 2/12/2022 at 4:55 PM, NeenerNeener said:

I think these two will make it.  Because this is essentially the relationship they grew up expecting and they'll have that shared culture and values of not expecting a marriage to be a fairytale that comes from having a grandparent that was probably in an arranged marriage.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, meatball77 said:

It all depends on how malleable she is though if she ends up being able to leave her super religious life behind.

I don’t think she will. She doesn’t believe in evolution. She was the one saying she’d pray for him, telling him to read the Bible. She doesn’t seem to have any interest in leaving her faith behind. 

19 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I'm always confused when I hear people say things like, "I'd like to get married but my boyfriend doesn't believe in marriage" or "I'd like to have kids but my girlfriend doesn't want them".  Like, what are you doing?  You should be with someone who fits into what you want out of life, not build your life around somebody else's wants.

Exactly. Sometimes people just aren’t compatible. “I’d like to have kids but my girlfriend doesn’t want them,” well, then, she needs to be your ex. Doesn’t mean the relationship wasn’t valuable or significant; it just means it can’t work long-term. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 2/11/2022 at 11:30 PM, Empress1 said:

Based on my in-depth analysis of Family Karma, I think there is a huge pressure in the Indian community to marry an Indian girl/guy. Families will settle for cross-cultural marriages but they really want to have the culture and traditions carried on. Because of this, I think Shake understands that his family is going to be *thrilled* that the guy who has only ever dated blonde girls is engaged to an Indian girl. My guess is that he'll get home, his family will love her (assuming they are of the same/similar class/caste) and he'll become a nice Indian vet with an attractive Indian wife free from the disapproving stares of his aunties.

• Love 5
On 2/12/2022 at 4:09 PM, DearEvette said:

Yikes. Shaina. I agree college is not for everyone, but she comes off as aggressively anti-intellectual. 

Shake showed a little growth in this one.  I think maybe there was some convo on the men's side that pointed out his superficiality.  I wish we had seen that.

Yeah.  Me neither.  I didn't feel any connection between them at all.  At one point she said "So excited!!" But she seemed to say it like she was convincing herself. Also even with his 'growth' he is still giving off some major red flags to me.

Even though she professed to liking it, the ass grabbing is a huge red flag.  A couple who are actually a couple might indulge in that, but it's just weird heading there immediately.   Touch her damn shoulders or even knee area when sitting down, but going for the ass immediately?  Cringe.  Get to the second or third actual face to face date first.

• Love 3