Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Her Heart

jewel21
  • Start Topic

A case turns personal for Conrad when the donor recipient of Nic's heart is admitted to the ER. Bell is faced with a devastating diagnosis that causes him to make a heartbreaking decision. Meanwhile, the Raptor asks Devon to include his ailing mother in his clinical trial, causing Devon to face a major dilemma

Airdate: 02/01/2022

52 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

So..................................I thought I was immune to  deliberate sap inducing endings, but it worked!!  I was all choked up and hating myself for falling for it😅

Yep!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

So..................................I thought I was immune to  deliberate sap inducing endings, but it worked!!  I was all choked up and hating myself for falling for it😅

Same. I normally scoff at TV-induced sentimentality, but when Gigi said “hi, mommy” I got all the feels.

• Love 10

They gave Bell MS and it looks like they're going to make his case progressive rather than relapsing/remitting. I'll be interested in seeing if they put him on any of the disease modifying therapies, and which ones.

I guess it could be worse; it could have been Parkinson's or ALS, but the fact that they gave him anything at all makes me wonder if Greenwood is ready to move on.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, NeenerNeener said:

They gave Bell MS and it looks like they're going to make his case progressive rather than relapsing/remitting. I'll be interested in seeing if they put him on any of the disease modifying therapies, and which ones.

I guess it could be worse; it could have been Parkinson's or ALS, but the fact that they gave him anything at all makes me wonder if Greenwood is ready to move on.

They have come so far with MS, I'm surprised they are portraying it this way.  A person diagnosed present day can have a somewhat normal life for years to come with treatments that delay symptoms.  It's a debilitating disease, for sure, but it's like MS on steroids unless he's been hiding symptoms for a really long time.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, preeya said:
16 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

Yep!

Me three! 

And I tend to roll my eyes at kids in these dramas, as I feel that they slow things down (i.e., I didn't care that the girls ran off during the Lunar New Year parade) but when Conrad introduced Gigi and she listened to her heart, I'll admit it, my eyes welled up. 

I figured that Raptor's mom would be somewhat relieved that she wasn't accepted into the trial. I like this "end of life" better - paliative care where she can do the things she wants to do, for as long as she can, withough debilitating pain and suffering. 

I know Raptor was angry at the answer at first, but thought it was out of character when he said that it was because Kravesh (sp?) didn't want his success numbers to be low. These docs know each other better than that, no need to accuse such a thing.

I'm trying to figure out what they are trying to lead up to with the new hospital doc/nurse (I think Conrad met her doing EMS?) They are making a big deal of her not having social media, not being social in general, I feel like it's leading up to some big secret reveal.

Nothing about Conrad and the babysitter/preschool teacher -- wonder where that's at. 

I'm happy we got a break from what's-her-face's (I'm so bad with names) son.

• Love 5

I’m happy this show is back, I think it’s my favorite of the Dr shows I watch. I think little Gigi looks just like Nic so good casting there. Also love seeing Bell as a caring dad and grandpa. I was sorry to see Bell diagnosed with MS but it’s probably because we have a close friend with MS who has now got to the point of not being able to feed himself and he is only in his late forties. I don’t really like the new “no social media” doctor and so far she isn’t adding anything to the show. Sweet ending.

• Love 5

I was beginning to think the show forgot that Bell had a stepson and granddaughter.

When Billie talked to Conrad in the ER my mom who only occasionally watches said "is she flirting with him?" And I'm afraid she's probably right.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

They have come so far with MS, I'm surprised they are portraying it this way.  A person diagnosed present day can have a somewhat normal life for years to come with treatments that delay symptoms.  It's a debilitating disease, for sure, but it's like MS on steroids unless he's been hiding symptoms for a really long time.

It seems to hit men harder than women for unknown reasons, or at least it did 30 years ago before they started using interferons to try and treat it. If Bell has been RR for awhile and ignoring it (which could explain his HODAD nickname and when he had the yips a season or two back) it could have finally tipped over into one of the progressive designations. I want to see if they come up with a miraculous cure for him or if he's going to be doing daily pills/shots or periodic infusions like real people do. There's no cure for it in the real world right now, just obscenely expensive maintenance drugs.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, NeenerNeener said:

It seems to hit men harder than women for unknown reasons, or at least it did 30 years ago before they started using interferons to try and treat it. If Bell has been RR for awhile and ignoring it (which could explain his HODAD nickname and when he had the yips a season or two back) it could have finally tipped over into one of the progressive designations. I want to see if they come up with a miraculous cure for him or if he's going to be doing daily pills/shots or periodic infusions like real people do. There's no cure for it in the real world right now, just obscenely expensive maintenance drugs.

Could be.  I know a person who recently died  from MS complications and her own doctor told her if she was diagnosed today, she'd still be walking.  I'm not a doctor so just using her case as a frame of reference.

• Useful 1

I might be the only one feeling this way, but I was... off put by the idea that Raptor would figure out who the heart came from and intentionally haul Conrad down to tell him and to treat the patient who had his dead wife's heart installed? I know its a medical soap opera but really it seemed like a really bad idea on so many levels. 

I liked that Devon didn't fall to peer pressure over turning the mom down.

Glad to not see the asshole son of the neuro surgeon woman.

Obviously the new ER doc making eyes at Conrad has some sort of terrible secret and I am kinda ready for it to be revealed already.

Is it wrong that I was hoping Bell had Bell's Palsy? Not sure I want a lengthy storyline around MS to be honest. 

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I might be the only one feeling this way, but I was... off put by the idea that Raptor would figure out who the heart came from and intentionally haul Conrad down to tell him and to treat the patient who had his dead wife's heart installed? I know its a medical soap opera but really it seemed like a really bad idea on so many levels. 

It felt a little like some kind of confidentiality violation. Aren't organ donations supposed to be anonymous? Luckily the woman was very gracious in meeting Conrad, but maybe she would have felt weird having her doctor tell her she had his wife's heart?

And it could have been very messy if things went badly with her treatment.

But the moment at the end with Gigi was very sweet.

• Love 2

Well, I'm a sap because I sobbed throughout the entire final sequence. Especially with the storybook lead-up about the mom always being there to protect the baby bunny. COME ON, SHOW!!! I'M NOT THAT STRONG!!!!

I was really glad that Bell told Kit and his step-son right away. Like a regular grown-up would do. Instead of trying to hide it like a character on a tv show would normally do. Which would be very annoying.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Why do so many of the main characters look different…especially Conrad, Pravesh, and the bearded ER doctor?  (Except Bell). It’s almost creepy.  Have they lost weight?  New camera angles or lenses?  I realize the show advanced three years, so some hairstyles etc. changed, but that’s not it.  Conrad doesn’t even look like the same person!

Bell’s granddaughter is so cute. I loved her interactions with Gigi. Everything from the bunny story to Kit telling Bell they are the loves of each other’s lives to Gigi and the heart made me cry like a baby. This show still pulls at the heart strings. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Driad said:

Gigi is three years old?  How much would she understand about her mother's heart beating in a stranger's body?

I think Gigi is 4, because she looked to be about a year old when Nic died. She was already sort of talking. Plus it has been a few months since the time jump.

I think it is a pretty simple thing to explain....that they put her mom's heart in someone else to save their life and she could hear it beat. She doesn't need to understand how it works medically, just enough to know that the beat was a connection to her mother.

• Love 2

so with the clinical trial, that was pretty quick - Devon going "ok do this test in the chamber and we'll see if you qualify"

no reading the gigantic list of side effects or anything?

Then AJ trying to get him to break the rules - it is good that they didn't end up doing that, because trials have exclusion criteria for a reason. There are some edge cases where the PI can use their discretion to determine if someone can join a trial or not, but not that much.

The lists of side effects for a trial are looooooooooooooooooooooooong - I am in a clinical trial atm, I was read every single thing you read in a commercial along with the statistics and all of the stuff like "This medication is provided to you at no cost" - the whole shebang. Then I had to read ~15 pages of paperwork, then I was asked if I had any questions and I was given one week before starting the trial as I wanted to do some stuff before it, just in case I got side effects from the treatment (So far, no physical side effects! Yay! Well, maybe some super dry skin/hair, but hey - i'll take that over vomiting)

Edited by bros402
  • Love 3
On 2/3/2022 at 7:37 PM, KaveDweller said:

I think Gigi is 4, because she looked to be about a year old when Nic died. She was already sort of talking. Plus it has been a few months since the time jump.

I think it is a pretty simple thing to explain....that they put her mom's heart in someone else to save their life and she could hear it beat. She doesn't need to understand how it works medically, just enough to know that the beat was a connection to her mother.

It is simple to explain but a child that age would not retain the information and then process the whole thing as she sees the recipient of the heart. It works for TV though. The girl is really cute and has acted well with what she was given.

Another trope that TV shows love but that didn't work for me like adorable Gigi: AJ - the mommy's boy - breaking things because he cannot get his way. I wish someone would sue his ass for destroying public property - the hospital is public now, right? - and report him to some ethics committee for trying to interfere with a study, jeopardizing the whole thing just to have his way. 

• Love 1