Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: As to How They Might Destroy Him

• Start Topic

The idea that her brothers hate BJ because they are secretly lusting after she is one of the most demented things I have ever heard. This is also why she can not be kind to BJ's sweet and reasonable family because she does not want anybody else in BJ's life but Gemstones.

The music for this episode was epic in its awfulness...well done Danny M.

I wish we got more of Baby Billy.

• Love 10

I loved that the lyrics "I wash my hands to keep away from Satan" from "Misbehavin'" were on the bathroom mirror. I'm weirded out that BJ married someone that looked like his sister.

The fact that Kelvin knew Eli's thumb-breaking thing, got a momentary reprieve and still egged him on was incredibly stupid.

Uncle Baby Billy is back! But will he be back before Tiff give birth?

• Love 7

Uncle Baby Billy!  One of the most unpleasant, scummy characters that I still simply, strangely adore.  Walton Goggins really excels at playing the worst kind of person possible, but somehow making him a joy to watch.  Pretty much every line and scene with him was gold (and, of course, his singing!)  But I do wonder if that final shot was hinting at him actually trying to make right with the son (and mother?) that he abandoned before.  I did notice Goggins was only listed as a guest star, so I'm guessing he won't be appearing as much as he did last season, but I hope we see him again.

Even though I knew BJ's Baptism was probably going to be a sight to behold, it still managed to surprise me with how hilariously outlandish it was.  Judy really is so extra when it comes to showing off!  And, of course, the rest of his family seemed like decent enough of folks and were so out of their element amongst all this crazy.

Aww, Jesse and Amber realize that their "friendship" with the Lissons is only as strong as how much they can write on their checkbook...

Kelvin finally stands up to Eli, and manages to a) have his thumb broken and b) likely lost his God Squad for good.  At least he still has Keef!

I'm guessing those shooters at the end could be part of Junior's retaliation, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is something else going on.  Even for Junior, that seemed like a bit much.

Edi Patterson really went all out in this one and was amazing as always.

I really can't decide which HBO family is more screwed up between the Gemstones and the Roys from Succession.  That would be a Family Feud episode for the ages!

Loved this episode.

• Like 1
  • Love 15
10 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Uncle Baby Billy!  One of the most unpleasant, scummy characters that I still simply, strangely adore.  Walton Goggins really excels at playing the worst kind of person possible, but somehow making him a joy to watch.  Pretty much every line and scene with him was gold (and, of course, his singing!)  But I do wonder if that final shot was hinting at him actually trying to make right with the son (and mother?) that he abandoned before.  I did notice Goggins was only listed as a guest star, so I'm guessing he won't be appearing as much as he did last season, but I hope we see him again.

Even though I knew BJ's Baptism was probably going to be a sight to behold, it still managed to surprise me with how hilariously outlandish it was.  Judy really is so extra when it comes to showing off!  And, of course, the rest of his family seemed like decent enough of folks and were so out of their element amongst all this crazy.

Aww, Jesse and Amber realize that their "friendship" with the Lissons is only as strong as how much they can write on their checkbook...

Kelvin finally stands up to Eli, and manages to a) have his thumb broken and b) likely lost his God Squad for good.  At least he still has Keef!

I'm guessing those shooters at the end could be part of Junior's retaliation, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is something else going on.  Even for Junior, that seemed like a bit much.

Edi Patterson really went all out in this one and was amazing as always.

I really can't decide which HBO family is more screwed up between the Gemstones and the Roys from Succession.  That would be a Family Feud episode for the ages!

Loved this episode.

I am glad that the muscle men left Kelvin before they went through that crazy dangerous trek in the desert.

Sadly, Amber and Junior have the best relationship. It seems like they worked out their issues from last season.

Judy and Kelvin treat their partners like servants.

Walton G is a treasure.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 4

I just want to know who were the other dead guys at the reporter’s house! And how did one get into the tree? 

Liked that KJ is on the Judy behavioral spectrum - no wonder BJ felt comfortable around Judy to begin with. Also explains a lot that their father was abusive; BJ goes to what he knows. 

How do all these crazy things not get reported in the news? Do Eli & Martin have that strong  a lock on local media? 

• Love 5

Was anyone else concerned we were going to find out that BJ was Baby Billy's son?  

I loved his romper with a cumberbund.  The clothes on this show are great.  You know the actors have to see some of these get ups and immediately start laughing.  Don't you dare call it a onesie! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Was anyone else concerned we were going to find out that BJ was Baby Billy's son?  

Yes, i think they intentionally made the boy look like BJ, and I thought that was the way they were headed, but since BJ's mother didn't recognize Baby Billy as the father of her son, that didn't pan out.

I think there are three possible suspects behind the shooting, Junior, Baby Billy, and the Lissons. The Lissons know if they knock off Eli, Jesse will have access to the Gemstone money and they can build the Zion resort.

I would love a spin off of this show with just Baby Billy. He just has to appear and I start laughing, That song had me in stitches!

Edited by Kenz
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

This week we get the grand return of Uncle Baby Billy, one of TV's great enjoyable scumbags. He's just so awful but so hilarious that I cant help but be entertained by his antics, not to mention his...colorful singing. I wonder if he is trying to make amends with his older son, or if he is freaking out and is going to try and leave his unborn child? Or both? Bless Walton Goggins, the man really goes hard or he goes home. 

I knew that BJ's baptism would be insane, but that baptism/after party really did take the cake. The giant BJ themed cake. Having BJ's rather normal family around just highlights the absurdity, especially as his parents continue to be totally polite and friendly in the face of Judy's very special kind of crazy. Her saying how she thinks her brothers hate BJ because they want to sleep with her might be the most fucked up thing Judy has ever said, and that is really saying something. 

I figured that Kelvin vs. Eli would end with Kelvin getting tossed across the room. Kelvin's cult also pretty quickly disbanded, but he'll always have Keefe. 

How are the Gemstones antics not all over YouTube? They are not extremely subtle people. 

• Love 10

Kids are so spoiled.

Eli has indulged them so much, looks like we're going to see the start of them being spoiled.  Yet despite being grown adults now they throw tantrums if they don't get everything they want.

KJ was right though, for supposed spiritual leaders and being highly successful, the Gemstones are trashy.

You wonder if very rich evangelical ministers would send their children to schools where they'd hobnob with other children from rich families, maybe polish some rough edges.

Or is the show about ungodly characters posing as spiritual leaders?

• Love 2

"Garbage" is not a strong enough term to describe Baby Billy and the Gemstone kids. There truly is no bottom for their behavior. The opening scene was great because I was wondering "Was Baby Billy actually a decent person at one point?" And then they showed that, nope, he was always trash.

One of the things that makes this show interesting is John Goodman as Eli.  In contrast to his kids, he seems like a flawed person who is genuinely trying to do good.

I laughed when Kelvin talked about his fantasy of beating Eli in a fight. There was no doubt he was going to get his ass kicked. 

On 1/23/2022 at 11:24 PM, SFoster21 said:

Great clothes!

Cassidy Freeman/Amber Gemstone really works the dresses she wears. The one she wore in Texas? Yowzah!

• Like 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, xaxat said:

"Garbage" is not a strong enough term to describe Baby Billy and the Gemstone kids. There truly is no bottom for their behavior. The opening scene was great because I was wondering "Was Baby Billy actually a decent person at one point?" And then they showed that, nope, he was always trash.

One of the things that makes this show interesting is John Goodman as Eli.  In contrast to his kids, he seems like a flawed person who is genuinely trying to do good.

I laughed when Kelvin talked about his fantasy of beating Eli in a fight. There was no doubt he was going to get his ass kicked. 

Cassidy Freeman/Amber Gemstone really works the dresses she wears. The one she wore in Texas? Yowzah!

Really, it’s the mens’ outfits this last episode.

Every man was “sharp as a tack” in their white tie and weskits and all.

• Love 1

I am starting to love Judy. Her full on crazy is quite a lot of fun.

I watch this show for Judy and Keefe. Keefe breaks my heart while stealing it.

John, Walton, Adam and Danny are charismatic hams but the other two actors own their scenes.

There are no words for BJ's romper-bund. Well,, perhaps transcendent. The way he swanned about so proudly in that outfit told the story of his Gemstone trajectory - he believed his baptism was his triumphant arrival.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

Amen to all of this.

Eli and his deceased wife had a lot more elegance than the 3 nasty children they raised. I wonder if it is people who grew up poor just giving their children everything and ending up with these rotten middle age brats?

Baby Billy is disgusting and hilarious...Walton is so good with those types of characters.

35 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

I watch this show for Judy and Keefe. Keefe breaks my heart while stealing it.

John, Walton, Adam and Danny are charismatic hams but the other two actors own their scenes.

There are no words for BJ's romper-bund. Well,, perhaps transcendent. The way he swanned about so proudly in that outfit told the story of his Gemstone trajectory - he believed his baptism was his triumphant arrival.

I love the actress who plays Judy. However, she actually has been fairly normal in the way she dresses (she has a great figure but her Baptism outfit was unflattering).

I was wondering why the Hell would any woman in their right mind put their husband in a short tuxedo onesie...sorry jumpsuit? It boggles the mind.

3 hours ago, qtpye said:

I was wondering why the Hell would any woman in their right mind put their husband in a short tuxedo onesie...sorry jumpsuit? It boggles the mind.

It's a romper with a cummerbund! And also, BJ was totally into it.

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, qtpye said:

Amen to all of this.

Eli and his deceased wife had a lot more elegance than the 3 nasty children they raised. I wonder if it is people who grew up poor just giving their children everything and ending up with these rotten middle age brats?

Baby Billy is disgusting and hilarious...Walton is so good with those types of characters.

I love the actress who plays Judy. However, she actually has been fairly normal in the way she dresses (she has a great figure but her Baptism outfit was unflattering).

I assure you, shorts suits  for parties were quite the fash in like LA (Vanderpump Rules), but I just think BJ is as in much in the closet as Kelvin.  He so Ioved his new clothes. It was sweet to see him in harmony with Judy for a moment.

Judy’s constant talk about sex makes me think that she and BJ are not really at it. Where does that come from?  Constantly offering yourself?  Is it her only power?

i like this show so much.  Danny McBride is just so wonderfully funny.  And strange.

Edited by SFoster21
  • Love 2

Strange with BJ that he'd be closeted or maybe in denial himself when his family seems like they'd support him, regardless of his orientation.

You'd think he came from a conservative, homophobic family.

• Love 1

I checked out the RigGem thread on reddit and found people saying it's obvious that Keefe is in love with Kelvin, following him along like a lovesick puppy.   Well, I never got that impression, mainly because the character is such a dim bulb, he's hard to read and I don't think I've ever seen lust in his eyes.   When they have those scenes brimming with UST between those two, I always picture Kelvin having an epiphany and making the first move and Keefe going along.  My belief is that Keefe is a dimwitted friend with a serious case of hero worship.  Keefe had his Satanic past, I figure that he's practically brain dead from the drugs, etc. he's messed with, and he dropped all that to dedicate his life to the church and he found a friend and mentor in Kelvin, someone he will follow, and even help him change his briefs, if asked. 

I did watch last season and recall pretty much their backstory but some of it is fuzzy and I know that their relationship has always been amorphous.  Am I missing the signs on Keefe's motivations?

• Love 3
On 1/26/2022 at 3:56 AM, SFoster21 said:

I assure you, shorts suits  for parties were quite the fash in like LA (Vanderpump Rules), but I just think BJ is as in much in the closet as Kelvin.  He so Ioved his new clothes. It was sweet to see him in harmony with Judy for a moment.

Nah, BJ is just a very flamboyant straight man (and also kinda crazy). These people do exist and it's nice that they are getting some representation.

Kelvin on the other hand, very much gay and I wish he'd finally get it on with his live-in-boyfriend. I'm slowly getting tired of that dance.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

How did I miss it? Or have we not talked about the fact that Tiffany's newly repaired teeth are the same model teeth as Baby Billy himself has been wearing- she could hardly close her lips around them!   Her new oversized chompers were Faye Dunaway levels of huge!

If that baby comes out with Baby Billy teeth...

• LOL 9
On 1/25/2022 at 11:45 AM, pasdetrois said:

Keefe breaks my heart while stealing it.

Right?  OMG - Keefe is my favorite and I love the scenes where he and Kelvin are uncomfortable close, lips inches apart and never a kiss.  LOL

I didn't realize KJ and Judy were the same (sort of) until someone here mentioned it.  I hope BJ doesn't lose his family.  Although I know it's fiction, that was really bothering me how Judy was trying everything to get rid of his family.  

I feel really sorry for Eli.  I get that you reap what you sow, and we'll find out next week how he sewed those children into absolute monsters, but he does seem to be human-ish...  

Levi dancing with the balloons MADE MY WHOLE NIGHT!!!

• Love 1

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/righteous-gemstones-edi-patterson-tim-210000631.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Explanation of this episode:

And, no, you weren't imagining that the confrontation was oddly…heated. "Judy thinks that BJ is the most attractive human on the earth and she's very, very into him sexually," Edi explained. "And on some animal level, his sister has a lot of those genes, so I think she's also repulsed and drawn to his sister."

There's also the fact that Judy only has Jesse and Kelvin for role models, so she tends to copy everything they do—for better or worse. Edi said this is why she got all up in KJ's face, sharing, "There's a certain amount of like when a dog humps another dog at the dog park like, I'm going to do this to make you uncomfortable."

• Useful 1