Type keyword(s) to search

Controversies? Scandals? Say it isn't so!

• Start Topic

Five women ski jumpers disqualified from the mixed-team jumping because of their suits. Suits they had already worn for an earlier event.

The disqualified athletes' jumpsuits were reportedly too large, potentially giving them an unfair advantage as they soared through the air. Ski jumping is governed by exacting rules that account for a number of variables, from an athlete's weight to the size and cut of the athletes' jumpsuits...

Takanashi's coach "said her suit was supposedly too big around the thighs, even though she wore it in the women's normal hill event on Saturday," Japan's NHK reported. "He added that the extreme dry weather may have affected her body's moisture content."

Like Takanashi, other athletes said they competed in the same jumpsuits they wore in earlier events. That includes Opseth, who told Norwegian media that what changed wasn't her suit, but the way it was measured.

But FIS official Aga Baczkowska told Norwegian public broadcaster NRK that the equipment inspection followed the rules, adding that it's up to each team to ensure its suits are in compliance.

• Love 1

I don’t think Sha’Carri has any case.  She took a substance that she knows is banned.  US Track & Field correctly ruled her ineligible because of a failed doping test.  Whether or not that substance should be banned is not relevant, at the moment it is.  (As I understand it, marijuana is banned because it is still illegal in many/most(?) countries that belong to WADA).  USTF/USOPC followed the rules - ROC did not.  I don’t think Sha’Carri can sue the Russians.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

I don’t think Sha’Carri has any case.  She took a substance that she knows is banned.  US Track & Field correctly ruled her ineligible because of a failed doping test.  Whether or not that substance should be banned is not relevant, at the moment it is.  (As I understand it, marijuana is banned because it is still illegal in many/most(?) countries that belong to WADA).  USTF/USOPC followed the rules - ROC did not.  I don’t think Sha’Carri can sue the Russians.

I don't know if she can legally get any kind of restitution etc from USTF or USADA... but I think what she probably does want is an apology.  She took a substance she knew was banned.  She said she took it because she was grieving because her mom died and she was under pressure because of trying to make the Olympic team and it helped her cope.

Kamila took a substance that her coaches knew was banned.  There is a review or whatnot and it is determined that even though the substance is banned, it's OK, because she is 15.

From Sha'Carri's point of view... she took a banned substance and was booted out of the Olympics.  Kamila took a banned substance, there is a world of outcry about it, but the governing bodies say it's ok because she is 15, and she will probably win the gold medal.  Two competitors, each took a banned substance, one is punished, the other is not.  That's what she's complaining about. 

• Love 7

I understand Sha’Carri’s complaint, but I don’t know who owes her an apology.  The American entities followed the rules they are required to follow.  While they may sympathize with her, they have done nothing they should apologize for.  The Russians are not about to apologize, because they will never admit wrongdoing.  The IOC and the CAS were never involved in Sha’Carri’s case because it never got that far.  

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, b2H said:

For the record, the skater will not take home a medal, even should she finishes on the platform.  To me, that just wastes time in a crowded field.

Kamila may not take home a medal. but, based on the cowardice and poorly reasoned decisions we're seen from the authorities thus far; I don't think we can count on her not being eventually cleared and handed her gold medal(s).  The system is broken, I don't think we can count on a just outcome here.

If you watched the ladies short program this morning, you'll notice Kamila made a rather obvious mistake in one of her jumps; yet that wasn't reflected in her scoring.  The other two Russian ladies were also overscored, IMO.  So it isn't just the doping, it's the biased judging that needs attetion, IMO.  Skating while Russian is a very big advantage in these contests.

16 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Kamila may not take home a medal. but, based on the cowardice and poorly reasoned decisions we're seen from the authorities thus far; I don't think we can count on her not being eventually cleared and handed her gold medal(s).  The system is broken, I don't think we can count on a just outcome here.

If you watched the ladies short program this morning, you'll notice Kamila made a rather obvious mistake in one of her jumps; yet that wasn't reflected in her scoring.  The other two Russian ladies were also overscored, IMO.  So it isn't just the doping, it's the biased judging that needs attetion, IMO.  Skating while Russian is a very big advantage in these contests.

I am watching women’s short program now, but have not yet seen her.

Meanwhile we have Russian figure skaters doing their thing after a positive test, but you do you IOC

https://sports.yahoo.com/american-julia-marino-withdraws-from-big-air-after-dispute-with-ioc-over-snowboard-sponsorship-120007886.html

Marino took to her Instagram page, noting in a Story, “For everyone asking, the night before the big air, the IOC told me they no longer approved my board even tho [sic] they approved it for slope. They told me I would be disqualified if I didn’t cover the logo and obligated me to literally draw on the base of my board with a sharpie.”

20 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Right.  And she's 21 years old. Not 15.

Do I think marijuana should be a banned substance?  No.  Or at least it should be reduced to an in-competition ban but not police it out of competition. However, she's an adult and knew she was taking a risk.

But I don't see the hypocrisy.  It's not like the people who banned her are happy about the decision to let Kamila skate. I don't think anyone but the Russians agree with the decision to let Kamila skate. Even the IOC is against it, correct?  It was whatever court who decided to let her skate. 

• Love 2

In some ways the Valieva controversy has been good for the Olympics. People are actually watching and talking about it -  even if it is just to complain. There are people at my job who’ve never watched Figure Skating who suddenly interested….so there’s that. 

• Love 1

The Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding mess gave the 1994 Olympics the same bump.  People on the internet can be fairly divisive on...well... everything but I don't think I've seen people so universally united on the bullshit that is this doping matter.

• Love 3

The Valieva scandal has a slightly anticlimactic ending, as she missed the podium and came in fourth, but there's still the team medal to battle over. The drama continued though, when another Russian skater, Trusova, threw a tantrum because she came in second and not first. I feel so bad for all the other competitors having to put up with this clown show, but it was entertaining as hell!

• Love 2
22 hours ago, absnow54 said:

The Valieva scandal has a slightly anticlimactic ending, as she missed the podium and came in fourth

So, who else thinks she threw the contest on purpose? I'm sure her handlers wouldn't let her withdraw, but once she is on the ice she has control of the narrative. It was heartbreaking watching her coach berate her when she came off the ice.

7 minutes ago, appositival said:

So, who else thinks she threw the contest on purpose? I'm sure her handlers wouldn't let her withdraw, but once she is on the ice she has control of the narrative. It was heartbreaking watching her coach berate her when she came off the ice.

Nope I don't. Eteri wanted to make history and have all 3 of her students on the podium. Plus she was off as soon as the program started she is lucky she didn't get hurt with the way she fell. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Nope I don't. Eteri wanted to make history and have all 3 of her students on the podium. Plus she was off as soon as the program started she is lucky she didn't get hurt with the way she fell. 

Yeah, I agree with you, at first I thought she must have been told to throw her routine so the other two Russians could medal and get their ceremony. But after seeing Eteri's wrath, I don't think any 15 year old would invite that upon themselves. Over on the skating thread people who've followed her say she has a history of doing a great short program and faltering on her free skate program so there's that. This was such an awful outcome to a situation that was clear, and yet a 'governing body' was allowed to allow a known doping athlete to compete in the Games. It sullies the entire breadth of the Games and sullies the Olympic ethos. It's disgusting and Thomas Bach better fucking do something, and not just talk a bunch of words about this. There has to be tighter rules and regs that do NOT involve umpteen agencies all vying to decide who can and cannot compete. The IOC runs the Olympics and they ought to be able to say 'This person tested positive for doping so they're out". I personally think Russia should never ever be allowed to host an Olympics ever again in either Summer or Winter Games. And all Russian athletes should be banned for a very, very long time. I know that will punish athletes that don't dope, but at this point, every Russian I see competing I just assume they're cheating in some manner now. I cannot take them seriously at all anymore. I'd like to see Russia banned forever to be honest.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, gingerella said:

The IOC runs the Olympics and they ought to be able to say 'This person tested positive for doping so they're out"

And they especially shouldn't be beholden to an anti-doping agency run by a country that's been banned by the Olympics for doping violations. WADA should have been the one to make the call about Valieva's suspension, and that suspension should have held until she could appeal to the CAS. It probably would have had the same result, and her ban would have been lifted in time to let her skate, but at least there would have been a 5 minute period where the ROC wasn't making a complete mockery of the process. 

• Love 2

I think it's interesting that Thomas Bach, who has been a central proponent of the "the Olympics needs Russia/OAR/ROC/DOPE/CHEAT/whatever you want to call them" argument has now openly opined strongly against Russia and Eteri over this Kamila debacle.  I wonder if he is actually going to do anything about it.  So far, his IOC presidency has been defined by the fact that he has allowed years and years of unapologetic Russian doping to taint the Games.  If he wants to send a message, he will ban Russia completely from the next Olympics.  As I have said before, I think any "clean" Russians should have to compete as true independents under the Olympic flag.

I still don't understand the point of letting ROC compete in team events.  Russia isn't allowed to have a team, but here we have people who are Russian who are going to form a Not-Russian team and compete.  Why did ROC even get to enter a team in the figure skating team event?  Why do they get a hockey team?  If the country is banned from the Olympics, then they shouldn't get to enter any teams.  Any individuals can enter the competition as individuals.  But to allow a Russian team when Russia isn't supposed to have a team makes absolutely NO SENSE.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, blackwing said:

I still don't understand the point of letting ROC compete in team events.  Russia isn't allowed to have a team, but here we have people who are Russian who are going to form a Not-Russian team and compete.  Why did ROC even get to enter a team in the figure skating team event?  Why do they get a hockey team?  If the country is banned from the Olympics, then they shouldn't get to enter any teams.  Any individuals can enter the competition as individuals.  But to allow a Russian team when Russia isn't supposed to have a team makes absolutely NO SENSE.

This has always been the part of the ROC decision that I've never fully understood. In order to put a team together or a relay it is meant to be the best in the country and put together by the country/ So if the country is banned any team like entry from Russia should not have been allowed to compete during the ban. But then I guess where do you draw the line cause you could argue pairs should be able to compete and does that mean 4 man bobsled should or the 4 man rowing squad? I guess any entry where the official competitor is labelled Russia should have been barred from competing. It would have just been better to ban Russia completely, maybe it would have resulted in the Russian public insisting the government not let it happen again, as it stands no major consequence happened except for no flag or anthem.