Type keyword(s) to search

The Process: Auditions, Training Camp and Squad

• Start Topic

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

The only thing I worry abt is her age and fitting in like being invited to stuff  I did some snooping on some of the gals we do know that are going to finals their ages run from 21-28 

One thing I noticed on her TikTok was a video with language that gave me Ava flashbacks.  The video has since been taken down.

Edited by Christineelgene
Update
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Christineelgene said:

One thing I noticed on her TikTok was a video with language that gave me Ava flashbacks.  The video has since been taken down.

Have you seen her and her sister YouTube channel 

(edited)
13 minutes ago, Christineelgene said:

Does anyone know who this lady is?  I have seen her in some Jenn Amburn videos, but not named.  She reminds me of Ashley from last year, but is much stronger.

CF2EC89D-61C3-4FD3-9E59-BFAEEF771A70.jpeg

That is Ashley best friend former team mate with Miami her name is kally 

Edited by Holly85
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
On 5/26/2022 at 7:59 PM, dccfan204 said:

# Dani + Kelcey for split point 2022

I can't get down with endorsing any point pairing for 2022 that doesn't include Ashlee, BUT, I am a big Dani fan and I have had her as one of my point-hopefuls since her rookie season. Dani and Ellie are my two point/traingle hopefuls for that rookie class, even though I suspect Marissa and Armani might get the prominent placement first. I would love to see Armani in the triangle as well, but am still kind of meh on Marissa (although she's grown on me this past year). I'm still going for Ashlee/Kelcey or Ashlee/Caroline for this year.

On 5/27/2022 at 1:18 PM, Christineelgene said:

I remember she was shocked that she was one of the 4 cut the first night of cuts.  She had NBA experience, which sometimes does not translate well to DCC.

I agree with Judy and judges and others here. There was something just flat about her dancing. She never wowed me and seemed an easy first cut. I'm a little surprised to learn of her NBA experience because she lacks that pop I'd expect of a professional NBA dancer.

On 5/29/2022 at 4:28 PM, TUOwl84 said:

I haven't been on the forums in a while due to caring for my sick husband who had cancer complications.  Can anyone tell me if Cassie auditioned again and if she made it to finals/TC?  Last year she didn't make it to Finals so I was hoping to see if she made it back this year.  

Also does anyone know if DCCMTT has officially signed with another network for the upcoming season 🤞

If Cassie's going to make a comeback, it seems like it would have to be this year or next. I'd love to see her come back really strong and make the team but I am not holding my breath.

Sending you and your husband positivity and healing thoughts!

• Thanks 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, M1977G said:

I can't get down with endorsing any point pairing for 2022 that doesn't include Ashlee, BUT, I am a big Dani fan and I have had her as one of my point-hopefuls since her rookie season. Dani and Ellie are my two point/traingle hopefuls for that rookie class, even though I suspect Marissa and Armani might get the prominent placement first. I would love to see Armani in the triangle as well, but am still kind of meh on Marissa (although she's grown on me this past year). I'm still going for Ashlee/Kelcey or Ashlee/Caroline for this year.

I'm also a huge Dani and Ellie fan but I thought it was a given that Claire would be the first to be point out of that class.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
On 5/29/2022 at 1:33 PM, Holly85 said:
On 5/29/2022 at 1:28 PM, TUOwl84 said:

I haven't been on the forums in a while due to caring for my sick husband who had cancer complications. 

Very sorry to hear this! Been there...tough times. DM me if you need to talk. You must take care of yourself if you are taking care of him

• Love 6
6 hours ago, M1977G said:

I can't get down with endorsing any point pairing for 2022 that doesn't include Ashlee

I just wish Ashlee was taller! That's the only thing throwing me off about her being point. Tall points (Rachel) just aesthetically look better than short points (Maddie)

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, dccfan204 said:

I just wish Ashlee was taller! That's the only thing throwing me off about her being point. Tall points (Rachel) just aesthetically look better than short points (Maddie)

True...

But at the same time since Ashlee is very short the diamond might look nice with a tall one behind her. Being able to see 4 ladies instead of 3.

9 hours ago, Christineelgene said:

Does anyone know who this lady is?  I have seen her in some Jenn Amburn videos, but not named.  She reminds me of Ashley from last year, but is much stronger.

CF2EC89D-61C3-4FD3-9E59-BFAEEF771A70.jpeg

Why are you asking?

Are you assuming she's one of the finalists?

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, Holly85 said:

The only thing I worry abt is her age and fitting in like being invited to stuff  I did some snooping on some of the gals we do know that are going to finals their ages run from 21-28 

I've read a lot of comment about the girls on the team being so young these days as if it is something new. In the "America's Girls" podcast Tami Barber said she joined underage at 17 at "a time when most of the girls on the squad were 18 or 19". So today's girls may be young but they are not unique in that.

Edited by PomPomPom
Clarification, spelling
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, M1977G said:

I agree with Judy and judges and others here. There was something just flat about her dancing. She never wowed me and seemed an easy first cut. I'm a little surprised to learn of her NBA experience because she lacks that pop I'd expect of a professional NBA dancer.

One thing the NBA dancers usually have in common is power (and often too much of it). I liked Amanda but her movements weren't punchy enough. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PomPomPom said:

I've read a lot of comment about the girls on the team being so young these days as if it is something new. In the "America's Girls" podcast Tami Barber said she joined underage at 17 at "a time when most of the girls on the squad were 18 or 19". So today's girls may be young but they are not unique in that.

The people saying that just got older than ten years ago. No offense.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, dccfan204 said:

Rachel is not tall. She's average, like 5'4", same as Kashara, Maddie, Amy, Lacey, Lexie, etc. Ashlee is just super short.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, PomPomPom said:

I can see her having issues fitting  in is all 

Edited by Holly85
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Kamal said:

True...

But at the same time since Ashlee is very short the diamond might look nice with a tall one behind her. Being able to see 4 ladies instead of 3.

Why are you asking?

Are you assuming she's one of the finalists?

Not assuming.  I try to follow those who go to prep classes as potential finalists

• Love 1
9 hours ago, PomPomPom said:

Hhhhmmm, this Texas Monthly (they do the America's Girls podcast) article, says she was 19 when she auditioned (still young by today's standards).

Anyway, with the show (which now may be gone), all of the social media, etc., I think there's a big  difference between being a DCC in the 70's and now. They received a lot of attention, scrutiny, etc. in the 70's, but it's so much more now.

In the article, Shannon Baker talks about her and Tami breaking the rules by going and buying beer in their uniforms after the game -- something they could get away with in the 70's. But today? You can't sneeze without someone potentially capturing it, putting it on social media, and it going viral. It's just a whole different ballgame and a couple of years life experience past 18-19 can make a world of difference.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/tami-barber-cowboys-cheerleader/

Screenshot_2022-05-31-12-55-12-1.png

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 5/30/2022 at 1:47 PM, Holly85 said:

Age really shouldn’t be a factor.  VK is in her 20s and doesn’t seem to fit in or get invited to stuff.  Maybe this girl could be VKs buddy?

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 5/31/2022 at 2:44 AM, PomPomPom said:

a good reason we talk age is because in the show Kelli and Judy have used that as a factor of keeping or cutting a training camp candidate. Their maturity or needing to take more pro dance classes which if you just came from high school is probably hard to do if you have studio dance training outside of high school. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, souR77 said:

a good reason we talk age is because in the show Kelli and Judy have used that as a factor of keeping or cutting a training camp candidate. Their maturity or needing to take more pro dance classes which if you just came from high school is probably hard to do if you have studio dance training outside of high school. 

If she makes training camp she could totally be vk little sissy 

• LOL 2
On 5/31/2022 at 8:14 PM, hannahbanana said:

Hhhhmmm, this Texas Monthly (they do the America's Girls podcast) article, says she was 19 when she auditioned (still young by today's standards).

Anyway, with the show (which now may be gone), all of the social media, etc., I think there's a big  difference between being a DCC in the 70's and now. They received a lot of attention, scrutiny, etc. in the 70's, but it's so much more now.

In the article, Shannon Baker talks about her and Tami breaking the rules by going and buying beer in their uniforms after the game -- something they could get away with in the 70's. But today? You can't sneeze without someone potentially capturing it, putting it on social media, and it going viral. It's just a whole different ballgame and a couple of years life experience past 18-19 can make a world of difference.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/tami-barber-cowboys-cheerleader/

Screenshot_2022-05-31-12-55-12-1.png

After your comment I revisited the podcast and it was my error. It was Shannon Baker Werthmann who tried out  underage at 17, not Tami.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, PomPomPom said:

After your comment I revisited the podcast and it was my error. It was Shannon Baker Werthmann who tried out  underage at 17, not Tami.

An understandable mistake.  They were both soooo prominent on the squad.

• Love 1

TCU recent grad Jackie Hinson just made the Niners squad, so she can be ruled out for DCC. 

I had been wondering about Cailey and Kylie bc they both recently updated their IG profile pics to be dance headshots again, but haven’t posted anything specifically about DCC. Maybe trying not to jinx it, who knows. 

Also I saw someone ask but didn’t pull the quote button when I thought about it, but Ash W from last year’s TCC was also spotted at Dolphins tryouts, seemingly as a helper of some kind? Think she may be done with NFL. 

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, PepperM said:

TCU recent grad Jackie Hinson just made the Niners squad, so she can be ruled out for DCC. 

I had been wondering about Cailey and Kylie bc they both recently updated their IG profile pics to be dance headshots again, but haven’t posted anything specifically about DCC. Maybe trying not to jinx it, who knows. 

Also I saw someone ask but didn’t pull the quote button when I thought about it, but Ash W from last year’s TCC was also spotted at Dolphins tryouts, seemingly as a helper of some kind? Think she may be done with NFL. 

A lot of former dolphins alumni were invited to watch the finals one of Hannah’s luvabulls teammate was there as well hannah tagged along 

• Useful 2
Just now, Holly85 said:

A lot of former dolphins alumni were invited to watch the finals one of Hannah’s luvabulls teammate was there as well hannah tagged along 

Ahh, good to know!! I remember seeing Hannah there cheering someone on, but the video I saw of Ash looked like she was like hyping the auditionees up or something 🤷🏻‍♀️

2 minutes ago, PepperM said:

Ahh, good to know!! I remember seeing Hannah there cheering someone on, but the video I saw of Ash looked like she was like hyping the auditionees up or something 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yeah a lot of the alumni get invited every year to come back and watch and be there for moral support 

• Love 3
On 5/31/2022 at 6:45 PM, Blue hues said:

Age really shouldn’t be a factor.  VK is in her 20s and doesn’t seem to fit in or get invited to stuff.  Maybe this girl could be VKs buddy?

It's not really age that is the factor, but maturity/experience & the ability to handle everything that comes with the job -- which usually (but not always) comes with age.

With VK having a late birthday (Oct.), she was well on her way to 19 when she first auditioned, but was still right out of high school (no experience). Her biggest hindrances, of course, are her mother and her ties to the organization. This separated her from the others from the beginning & allowed her "not to grow up" (as in there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between when we first saw her & now). As others have said (and wished she would have done), if she had gone away to college & been on their dance team or did something else that got her away from her mother &  the DCC bubble, and then came back & tried out, her experience might have been a whole lot different.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, PomPomPom said:

No biggie -- I just thought it was weird that the article said 19 while the podcast said 17 (I obviously didn't listen to the podcast 😊).

Still, it's a different world today than it was in the 70's -- so being 17 or 18 on the squad in the 70's (especially when the average age was 18-19) is not comparable to being on the squad at 18 today. There will be a few who will have the maturity/experience to handle it fine, but many will not.

3 hours ago, dancelover28 said:

Found some videos of Ariana from her Laker Girl season! She is in the center for both dances. I think she will be a great addition to DCC, thoughts? 

Both choreographies are kind of lame, and the uniforms are weird...she's giving Kalyssa vibes to me

• Love 4
3 hours ago, hannahbanana said:

With VK having a late birthday (Oct.), she was well on her way to 19 when she first auditioned, but was still right out of high school (no experience). Her biggest hindrances, of course, are her mother and her ties to the organization. This separated her from the others from the beginning & allowed her "not to grow up" (as in there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between when we first saw her & now). As others have said (and wished she would have done), if she had gone away to college & been on their dance team or did something else that got her away from her mother &  the DCC bubble, and then came back & tried out, her experience might have been a whole lot different.

I said the same thing (even if it was in my own head and not here. . . unless I'm not remembering correctly) about Victoria and I KNOW I've said it about Cassie.  If both girls had headed out to other teams (doesn't matter if it was college or the NFL) their first "eligible to audition" year and not only successfully made the team, but STAYED on the team for at least one year, I wouldn't have cared so much about them making the squad, but since they didn't, neither really seemed to grow up or move beyond the DCC as the end all/be all of their lives.  Then again, look at Tina.  She doesn't seem to have moved on either.

At least, Kelli went on to get a college degree in something useful before coming back (unless, again, I'm not remembering correctly).

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, hannahbanana said:

No biggie -- I just thought it was weird that the article said 19 while the podcast said 17 (I obviously didn't listen to the podcast 😊).

Still, it's a different world today than it was in the 70's -- so being 17 or 18 on the squad in the 70's (especially when the average age was 18-19) is not comparable to being on the squad at 18 today. There will be a few who will have the maturity/experience to handle it fine, but many will not.

Do you think this is what Brennan was hinting at when she mentioned "the way things are going" when she was cut season 15? The previous few seasons had seen some "older" ladies making the team but the season 15 intake was more of a return to the 70s/80s 18/19 year old.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

If both girls had headed out to other teams (doesn't matter if it was college or the NFL)

Cassie attended the UNT, and I thought she was on their cheer squad for a year???  But she was a strong cheerleader, just not a dancer

1 hour ago, PomPomPom said:

Do you think this is what Brennan was hinting at when she mentioned "the way things are going" when she was cut season 15? The previous few seasons had seen some "older" ladies making the team but the season 15 intake was more of a return to the 70s/80s 18/19 year old.

She was Victoria and Marissa's boot buddy, so........anything is possible

Edited by scorpio1031
  • Useful 1
12 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

Cassie attended the UNT, and I thought she was on their cheer squad for a year???  But she was a strong cheerleader, just not a dancer

Didn't Cassie also do competition cheer growing up? -- so she had some experience being a teammate/on a team not controlled by mom/mom's best friend.

Cassie had her problems, but she got a lot more of the regular DCC experience than VK -- the friendships, etc.

• Love 4
On 5/31/2022 at 3:14 PM, hannahbanana said:

In the article, Shannon Baker talks about her and Tami breaking the rules by going and buying beer in their uniforms after the game

Around here, we call that “doing the Erica!”  🤣

(I know they’re taking about way before Erica’s time.)

• LOL 7
14 minutes ago, Tdoc72 said:

The Erica lol love it 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Because they apparently got away with it -- otherwise we'd be saying Erica did a Shami. 😁

• LOL 1

I guess I seem to be defending Cassie.  But she did move on from DCC to be a wife and mother and seems herself to have let go of DCC.  Yes her kid is immersed in DCC but she herself at least doesn't eat and breathe it like some of the other oldsters.

2 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I guess I seem to be defending Cassie.  But she did move on from DCC to be a wife and mother and seems herself to have let go of DCC.  Yes her kid is immersed in DCC but she herself at least doesn't eat and breathe it like some of the other oldsters.

Cassie is the director of the junior dcc So she is still very immersed in it 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

3 hours ago, Holly85 said:

Cassie is the director of the junior dcc So she is still very immersed in it 

I don't see Cassie as a "hanger-on" either. Her mother is the head choreographer so the DCC (& Cowboys) has always been a huge part of her life and probably pretty much will always be -- whether she had ever been a DCC or not. And now, having a role with the junior DCC, her connection is further cemented -- but I don't see that as "hanging on" to her days as a DCC, just like I don't see Kitty, Kelli, Judy, Shelly, Jenn, Kashara, etc. "hanging on" -- they have moved into different roles.

DCC will always be a huge part of her life because of her mother, but I don't see her as "eating, living, breathing" it. It's a part of her life (and, yes, a big part), but not her whole life.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
On 6/2/2022 at 7:19 PM, PomPomPom said:

When Brennan said " She didn't like the direction that the team was going," I almost gagged. I thought that was one of the most entitled things I've ever heard. I was so disappointed that everyone here just let that slide. But Kelli did get her together, so I'll just have to settle for that.

IMO, these last two seasons have been the strongest in years. They seem to have fewer unremarkable blenders (I'm looking dead at Brennan as I type that).

The only ones I would give that label to on this squad is Madeline S. and Kristen.

So I think the direction the team went was uniformly stronger, better spoken dancers.

#ByeBrennan

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
On 5/29/2022 at 10:35 AM, MrsEVH said:

Same here. It was announced on the Ice Angels IG. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cb5ye3SOVHn/

1 hour ago, hypeman said:

When Brennan said " She didn't like the direction that the team was going," I almost gagged. I thought that was one of the most entitled things I've ever heard. I was so disappointed that everyone here just let that slide. But Kelli did get her together, so I'll just have to settle for that.

IMO, these last two seasons have been the strongest in years. They seem to have fewer unremarkable blenders (I'm looking dead at Brennan as I type that).

The only ones I would give that label to on this squad is Madeline S. and Kristen.

So I think the direction the team went was uniformly stronger, better spoken dancers.

#ByeBrennan

It just had super “sore loser” vibes for me.  I was happy for her when she made the team, but this made me like Brennan less.  And yes, I would say that entire rookie class and some that didn’t make it -Tori for example,  were just better dancers than she was.  So whatever she meant by it is immaterial to me. 

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, hypeman said:

#ByeBrennan

I don't think Brennan was acting entitled. I think she sensed an overall shift in the dynamics of DCC and she's not really wrong. DCC has morphed over the years as different commenters have pointed out. That's normal and not necessarily bad. It has skewed younger, then older, then younger again - but the stories have skewed too.

Before Brennan, many of the DCC stories centered on "the dream."  Remember in the good old days, dancers of mediocre talent could be trained up to become a DCC (hence the long training camp). They achieved success because it was their dream. But over time we've seen more and more competitively well-trained dancers flock to tryouts and why is that? It's not necessarily their dream. They do it for the opportunity to be on a TV show and to get their social media going. They do it on the road to fame or to add to their dance resume. It's not necessarily their childhood Texas dream. 

Obviously this is a huge sweeping generalization. But recall when this statement was made we were dealing with Alora Rose and many others who were not born and bred. Marissa was all over TikTok. Sydney was there for her bucket list before retirement... The vets who were passionately committed were evaluated for a few days and let go - while some of these un-vetted newcomers were selected before even trying on the boots.

So I see where she was coming from. But I don't think the shift is an overall bad thing.

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Like 5
  • Applause 5
  • Love 12
On 6/2/2022 at 2:46 PM, dancelover28 said:

Found some videos of Ariana from her Laker Girl season! She is in the center for both dances. I think she will be a great addition to DCC, thoughts? 

Like I said...the next Rachel W.....Still don't have money to bet on it though lol

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

I don't think Brennan was acting entitled. I think she sensed an overall shift in the dynamics of DCC and she's not really wrong. DCC has morphed over the years as different commenters have pointed out. That's normal and not necessarily bad. It has skewed younger, then older, then younger again - but the stories have skewed too.

Before Brennan, many of the DCC stories centered on "the dream."  Remember in the good old days, dancers of mediocre talent could be trained up to become a DCC (hence the long training camp). They achieved success because it was their dream. But over time we've seen more and more competitively well-trained dancers flock to tryouts and why is that? It's not necessarily their dream. They do it for the opportunity to be on a TV show and to get their social media going. They do it on the road to fame or to add to their dance resume. It's not necessarily their childhood Texas dream. 

Obviously this is a huge sweeping generalization. But recall when this statement was made we were dealing with Alora Rose and many others who were not born and bred. Marissa was all over TikTok. Sydney was there for her bucket list before retirement... The vets who were passionately committed were evaluated for a few days and let go - while some of these un-vetted newcomers were selected before even trying on the boots.

So I see where she was coming from. But I don't think the shift is an overall bad thing.

I am intrigued to see whether or not MTT being cancelled will chance the dynamics of the team. The way that I've seen it, and this is just my personal perspective, is that younger girls = more years on the team, since they have less experience in the adult world. But I feel like that somewhat backfired, since now almost no one wants to leave the team, and we get more vet cuts and smaller rookie classes (they got lucky in 2021 when Daphne and Lisa got injured, VK took a break, Amanda left, and Alora-Rose quit / got cut)

This year specifically is going to be interesting, since there is only 8 spots (9 if Amber has to drop out due to injury and 7/6 if VK and Lisa get accepted into TC) 

Maybe we'll see a huge purge in 2023 with a lot of girl retiring because there is no more MTT, but who knows at this point.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 minutes ago, TheGenuineBeauty said:

I am intrigued to see whether or not MTT being cancelled will chance the dynamics of the team. The way that I've seen it, and this is just my personal perspective, is that younger girls = more years on the team, since they have less experience in the adult world. But I feel like that somewhat backfired, since now almost no one wants to leave the team, and we get more vet cuts and smaller rookie classes (they got lucky in 2021 when Daphne and Lisa got injured, VK took a break, Amanda left, and Alora-Rose quit / got cut)

This year specifically is going to be interesting, since there is only 8 spots (9 if Amber has to drop out due to injury and 7/6 if VK and Lisa get accepted into TC) 

Maybe we'll see a huge purge in 2023 with a lot of girl retiring because there is no more MTT, but who knows at this point.

Amber did drop out to heal she put it on her ig page 

Edited by Holly85
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

Amber did drop out to heal she put it on her ig page 

Ok cool, thanks for letting me know :) 

So were are looking at a 9-7 member rookie class if we don't get any vet cuts / quits / or injuries. That'll probably be the smallest rookie class since the 70's? (don't quote me on that I'm gonna double check)

2009 had a class of 9 girls (according to Pompedia)

2010 had a class of 8 girls (according to Pompedia)

If it's 7 then it'll be since 1974 (again...according to Pompedia)

Edited by TheGenuineBeauty
i checked :)
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, hannahbanana said:

I don't see Cassie as a "hanger-on" either. Her mother is the head choreographer so the DCC (& Cowboys) has always been a huge part of her life and probably pretty much will always be -- whether she had ever been a DCC or not. And now, having a role with the junior DCC, her connection is further cemented -- but I don't see that as "hanging on" to her days as a DCC, just like I don't see Kitty, Kelli, Judy, Shelly, Jenn, Kashara, etc. "hanging on" -- they have moved into different roles.

DCC will always be a huge part of her life because of her mother, but I don't see her as "eating, living, breathing" it. It's a part of her life (and, yes, a big part), but not her whole life.

So how would you characterize VK and her mom?  Where do you see VK and mama kalina headed?

2 hours ago, Blue hues said:

So how would you characterize VK and her mom?  Where do you see VK and mama kalina headed?

Tina is definitely more of a "hanger-on" type -- especially with her apparent push of VK to be a DCC. That being said, I really don't know anything about her other than the show & what's said here, but she doesn't come across as having anything else in life other than having been a DCC (which might be because I really only know her from the show) & getting her daughter to be a DCC. I could be wrong though -- it could be her friendship with Kelli that keeps her connected to DCC, but the pushing of her daughter screams hanger-on.

With VK, it remains to be seen. Right now, she seems to be all DCC -- what the future holds ?????