Type keyword(s) to search

The Process: Auditions, Training Camp and Squad

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, TheGenuineBeauty said:

Maybe we'll see a huge purge in 2023 with a lot of girl retiring because there is no more MTT, but who knows at this point.

I don't think the cancellation of MTT has any effect on the girls who are currently on the team. They already have their spotlight. 

But there might be less people trying out from next year.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, hypeman said:

IMO, these last two seasons have been the strongest in years. They seem to have fewer unremarkable blenders

I'm going to disagree there. Besides Claire Wolford, who are the non-blenders here? Armani? Maybe. Marissa? Great dancer, but aren't they all supposed to be great at dancing, technically? Also this past season? Yeah, I mean some are good but it's been ONE season. How can any be considered among the "strongest"? Just curious. 

11 hours ago, hypeman said:

So I think the direction the team went was uniformly stronger, better spoken dancers.

Again. Respectfully, I'm disagreeing there. Can I ask how these past two groups of ladies are "better spoken" if we've barely hear from them besides TikToks and social media promotional materials. 

Genuine questions here. I hope I'm not coming on too strong.

But .... no. Respectfully. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, LunaValerion said:
10 hours ago, hypeman said:

IMO, these last two seasons have been the strongest in years. They seem to have fewer unremarkable blenders

I'm going to disagree there. Besides Claire Wolford, who are the non-blenders here? Armani? Maybe. Marissa? Great dancer, but aren't they all supposed to be great at dancing, technically? Also this past season? Yeah, I mean some are good but it's been ONE season. How can any be considered among the "strongest"? Just curious. 

I think this past two years were strong as in there's no girl who shouldn't have made it. There are weaker girls but I don't remember anyone calling names these past two years and saying "she shouldn't have made the team".

The only one I think shouldn't have made it is Sydney so.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Lynnbo said:
15 hours ago, hypeman said:

When Brennan said " She didn't like the direction that the team was going," I almost gagged. I thought that was one of the most entitled things I've ever heard. I was so disappointed that everyone here just let that slide. But Kelli did get her together, so I'll just have to settle for that.

IMO, these last two seasons have been the strongest in years. They seem to have fewer unremarkable blenders (I'm looking dead at Brennan as I type that).

The only ones I would give that label to on this squad is Madeline S. and Kristen.

So I think the direction the team went was uniformly stronger, better spoken dancers.

#ByeBrennan

Expand  

It just had super “sore loser” vibes for me.

It did to me too. If she was so disappointed in the direction the team was heading, then why even audition for another year? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

I don't think Brennan was acting entitled. I think she sensed an overall shift in the dynamics of DCC and she's not really wrong. DCC has morphed over the years as different commenters have pointed out. That's normal and not necessarily bad. It has skewed younger, then older, then younger again - but the stories have skewed too.

Before Brennan, many of the DCC stories centered on "the dream."  Remember in the good old days, dancers of mediocre talent could be trained up to become a DCC (hence the long training camp). They achieved success because it was their dream. But over time we've seen more and more competitively well-trained dancers flock to tryouts and why is that? It's not necessarily their dream. They do it for the opportunity to be on a TV show and to get their social media going. They do it on the road to fame or to add to their dance resume. It's not necessarily their childhood Texas dream. 

Obviously this is a huge sweeping generalization. But recall when this statement was made we were dealing with Alora Rose and many others who were not born and bred. Marissa was all over TikTok. Sydney was there for her bucket list before retirement... The vets who were passionately committed were evaluated for a few days and let go - while some of these un-vetted newcomers were selected before even trying on the boots.

So I see where she was coming from. But I don't think the shift is an overall bad thing.

DCC wasn’t Alora Rose’s dream for sure, but despite Marissa’s involvement in TikTok, and social media, becoming a DCC was actually part of her childhood dreams.  
Realistically, even if DCC is part of your “dreams” it’s a good idea to also have other dreams since DCC rarely is more than a few years. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Kamal said:

I think this past two years were strong as in there's no girl who shouldn't have made it. There are weaker girls but I don't remember anyone calling names these past two years and saying "she shouldn't have made the team".

The only one I think shouldn't have made it is Sydney so.

I forgot about Sydney. Yes, they should have kept Hannah and not Sydney.  

• Like 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Lynnbo said:

Agreed!  I never understood how Sydney made it.  Jessica is another...I keep forgetting she's even on the team. She seems like a sweet person but she does nothing to stand out.  Out of the current group of rookies, Amber, Jensen and Christina... are the ones I questioned.  It just seems that there were stronger dancers who were cut.  This season's team does seem to be more cohesive than the past few years but we also had a pandemic to deal with.  The retirees...I'm glad they did their time and are stepping down.  I liked all of them but I won't miss any of them.   I'm ready for a total overhaul,

• Like 1
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, hypeman said:

When Brennan said " She didn't like the direction that the team was going," I almost gagged. I thought that was one of the most entitled things I've ever heard. I was so disappointed that everyone here just let that slide. But Kelli did get her together, so I'll just have to settle for that.

IMO, these last two seasons have been the strongest in years. They seem to have fewer unremarkable blenders (I'm looking dead at Brennan as I type that).

The only ones I would give that label to on this squad is Madeline S. and Kristen.

#ByeBrennan

Let’s take that 2020 season of MTT with a grain of salt. It was highly edited to fit their reasoning for cutting 3 veterans. I think the 2020 candidates were good but not amazing amazing like the show made it seem. I also thought one of the insiders stated that some DCC’s were not following rules but only stayed on because of who they were affiliated with (I forget and I guess I would have to look) and maybe that’s what Brennan was talking about being cut but others staying on when clearly they should’ve been cut since they were breaking rules. Then the next year they make excuses for taking Kat in show group because it’s for once it’s not about being an all around great dancer but also personality. I’m not saying Kat doesn’t deserve it but clearly Kelli make excuses for none then next some. I would be upset too.

7 hours ago, ByTor said:

It did to me too. If she was so disappointed in the direction the team was heading, then why even audition for another year? 

Maybe she thought that Kelli would have chosen her instead of the ones breaking the rules and obviously getting cut was when that was clear what Kelli was doing. I mean Hannah when she got cut and they didn’t know why, she thought it was her solo but Kelli had to explain why. I don’t think Lily knew why she was getting cut either.  

• Like 3
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, ByTor said:

shocked you're agreeing—aren't you the #1 brennan fan on this board? haha

not that that means you have to agree with everything she says, but i'm just intrigued

personally idk how i feel about what she said

• Love 2
2 hours ago, vanillagum said:

shocked you're agreeing—aren't you the #1 brennan fan on this board? haha

not that that means you have to agree with everything she says, but i'm just intrigued

personally idk how i feel about what she said

LOL! I started wondering if the "arrogant" vibes some people were getting were actually true after she started with her "joking" Instagram posts about her now-fiance. Clearly since he proposed he's fine with her, but I saw it as passive aggressive and childish.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Lynnbo said:

Yes and Jessica. And I was also surprised they kept Jada. She has grown a lot and I think deserves a spot now, but I’m not so sure she was a better DCC than Hannah, Lily, Brennan, Tori or Ashlinn her first years. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Survivor197 said:

Yes and Jessica. And I was also surprised they kept Jada. She has grown a lot and I think deserves a spot now, but I’m not so sure she was a better DCC than Hannah, Lily, Brennan, Tori or Ashlinn her first years. 

Noooo.

I only think Sydney was weak but Jessica and Jada are great. They just didn't get that much screen time that's all.

• Love 5
On 6/4/2022 at 4:10 PM, hypeman said:

#ByeBrennan

I always figured she was referencing the drama with VK, and how TPTB were letting some of the immature locker room nonsense slide. But I’m glad you shared your perspective, because now I’m looking at it with a different lens.  

@Tuxcat makes some good points too, and 2020 was just a weird year on the squad. They did have some candidates try out that likely wouldn’t have done so if not for the cancellation of other dance jobs. Curious if the cancellation of the show will impact those who try out to build a profile. I don’t think there’s a lot wrong with that if they do a good job as a DCC, tho. Influencing is just a new way of marketing if done well. 

• Love 1

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a drop in candidates who are auditioning and not only that, but a drop in quality somewhat, especially after this year if things keep opening up.

It was a bit of a perfect storm when COVID hit because a lot of other dance jobs were getting cancelled due to the pandemic/quarantine orders/people not wanting to go out.  Between that and the fact that there was a television show filming which would give them "exposure" for other dance jobs when things started opening up again (plus not having a gap in the dance resume) and there were a lot of talented people auditioning.  I know some just loved to dance and wanted to keep that up, but there were a lot of girls who were doing it to promote themselves.

• Love 5
On 5/30/2022 at 10:35 PM, Kamal said:

I'm also a huge Dani and Ellie fan but I thought it was a given that Claire would be the first to be point out of that class.

Haha, yess-Claire is such a given that I didn't list her in this part of my comments. I see how this reads now, but as I'd mentioned Claire as a possible point already, I was trying to say that I think Armani and Marissa might be in line after Claire and before Ellie and Dani for more prominent positions. Of all those just mentioned, I don't see Marissa at point but moved up even possibly to the top triangle.

On 6/4/2022 at 7:28 PM, TheGenuineBeauty said:

Like I said...the next Rachel W.....Still don't have money to bet on it though lol

She's pretty but, from what little I've seen in these videos just posted, she's not as good a dancer or as pretty as Rachel W. This is me judging on very limited info, so just my initial impression!

On 6/5/2022 at 3:09 PM, souR77 said:

Maybe she thought that Kelli would have chosen her instead of the ones breaking the rules and obviously getting cut was when that was clear what Kelli was doing. I mean Hannah when she got cut and they didn’t know why, she thought it was her solo but Kelli had to explain why. I don’t think Lily knew why she was getting cut either.  

I think her fear of getting cut and possibly blindsided by TPTB at any moment got in Lily's way. I would be shocked if she didn't know why she got cut because she danced like she was scared stiff a lot of the time. I don't like how the vets got cut, but I think Lily and Hannah didn't look like they were dancing at their best that last training camp. (*Ducks objects being thrown my way.*) Brennan, on the other hand, looked like the same dancer and performer to me, so I don't really see why her dancing was good enough for two years and not that last year.

• Love 4
On 5/30/2022 at 6:32 PM, M1977G said:

I can't get down with endorsing any point pairing for 2022 that doesn't include Ashlee, BUT, I am a big Dani fan and I have had her as one of my point-hopefuls since her rookie season. Dani and Ellie are my two point/traingle hopefuls for that rookie class, even though I suspect Marissa and Armani might get the prominent placement first. I would love to see Armani in the triangle as well, but am still kind of meh on Marissa (although she's grown on me this past year). I'm still going for Ashlee/Kelcey or Ashlee/Caroline for this year.

I agree with Judy and judges and others here. There was something just flat about her dancing. She never wowed me and seemed an easy first cut. I'm a little surprised to learn of her NBA experience because she lacks that pop I'd expect of a professional NBA dancer.

If Cassie's going to make a comeback, it seems like it would have to be this year or next. I'd love to see her come back really strong and make the team but I am not holding my breath.

Sending you and your husband positivity and healing thoughts!

Thank you.   I was wondering about Cassie not so much for her dancing, but because I know how close of a friend she is to current members of the squad including alumni like Alanna.  I do think she has the look though.  If she is back, I do hope she is stronger.  She gives me Jojo Fletcher vibes from the Bachelorette LOL

• Love 2
On 6/2/2022 at 2:46 PM, dancelover28 said:

Found some videos of Ariana from her Laker Girl season! She is in the center for both dances. I think she will be a great addition to DCC, thoughts? 

She is pretty.  Something about her reminds me of Kalyssa.  I hope I am wrong.

(edited)
9 hours ago, M1977G said:

Brennan, on the other hand, looked like the same dancer and performer to me, so I don't really see why her dancing was good enough for two years and not that last year.

I do recall seeing her solo & thinking the cut made more sense, IMO it was pretty underwhelming. Also, Kelli had a couple office discussions with her about running out of steam, so I'm assuming (even though we know what happens when you assume LOL) there was a lot we didn't see, like maybe (again assuming, I do not know anything for a fact) she'd finish a routine at rehearsal & would have to sit out the next one.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ByTor said:

I do recall seeing her solo & thinking the cut made more sense, IMO it was pretty underwhelming. Also, Kelli had a couple office discussions with her about running out of steam, so I'm assuming (even though we know what happens when you assume LOL) there was a lot we didn't see, like maybe (again assuming, I do not know anything for a fact) she'd finish a routine at rehearsal & would have to sit out the next one.

MTT will totally make that a scene though. That sounds like great covid material the show would love. 

Not disagreeing the fact that Brennan probably didn't have the stamina though.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Kamal said:

MTT will totally make that a scene though. That sounds like great covid material the show would love. 

Not disagreeing the fact that Brennan probably didn't have the stamina though.

I agree, and I do find it weird that they showed Kelli's comments without evidence. But from what I recall, I do think Brennan agreed that she was getting winded but that she feels like her breathing kept improving. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, bernie2018 said:

Not sure where to go to find information, but any news on the 2022 auditions…

I feel so lost 😂

Thanks.

Finals is next week 

• Thanks 3
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ByTor said:

Why so long? Were there that many audition videos they had to go through?

The ladies found out they made finals may 20th not sure why they set finals to the middle of June 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Holly85 said:

The ladies found out they made finals may 20th not sure why they set finals to the middle of June 

Probably to give them time to prepare their solos, etc.  Maddie just filmed the routine they will be doing on May 28. Last year they had to perform several routines at “Judge’s Showcase”, so perhaps they have to learn a few this year also.

13 hours ago, Holly85 said:

Finals is next week 

June 13 is finals, TC starts on June 15.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Christineelgene said:

Probably to give them time to prepare their solos, etc.  Maddie just filmed the routine they will be doing on May 28. Last year they had to perform several routines at “Judge’s Showcase”, so perhaps they have to learn a few this year also.

June 13 is finals, TC starts on June 15.

I knew Maddie filmed the video for the finalists to learn from but wasn’t for sure why the large gap between finals announcement and finals 

• Useful 1
On 6/6/2022 at 10:51 PM, PepperM said:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cee-F7rJ6J4/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Think this confirms Amanda S as a finalist at least!

Eek. She has the look and the flexiblity, power. But I want to go Kitty Carter about her hands. She has no clue what do do with her hands. They look like stiff flippers or something. Looks like a cheerleader with not a lot of fluidity but with showmanship. Wouldnt put her on show group but would send her to camp.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Holly85 said:

Duh, that was a dumb question I asked, then. Of course they already announced finalists, I should have known that!! 

10 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Duh, that was a dumb question I asked, then. Of course they already announced finalists, I should have known that!! 

Maddie filmed the finalist choreo that they have to learn before hand 

8 hours ago, UnicornKicksBack said:

Eek. She has the look and the flexiblity, power. But I want to go Kitty Carter about her hands. She has no clue what do do with her hands. They look like stiff flippers or something. Looks like a cheerleader with not a lot of fluidity but with showmanship. Wouldnt put her on show group but would send her to camp.

I agree. Her dancing doesn’t look very natural, but wow her smile is BEAUTIFUL! I hope she does well in training camp!

(edited)

That pose Megan is doing always looks awkward. I don't like a lot of the facial expressions the girls are doing. Rebecca's head looks so small compared to her body. Christina has way better pics than that. Jensen still looks a lot older than she is. Claire isn't looking at the camera. LOVE Lea's pic. Just some of my critiques/opinions. Lol

Edited by pinkandsparkly13
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

That pose Megan is doing always looks awkward. I don't like a lot of the facial expressions the girls are doing. Rebecca's head looks so small compared to her body. Christina has way better pics than that. Jensen still looks a lot older than she is. Claire isn't looking at the camera. LOVE Lea's pic. Just some of my critiques. Lol

There is more I just didn’t post them all lol

(edited)
1 hour ago, Holly85 said:

There is more I just didn’t post them all lol

I am shocked some of these photos aren’t in the calendars. They are superior to what we have already seen, particularly McKenzie, Lea, Tori (sunset one), Tyra, Jada, and Jensen above. 

Edited by StellaCL
Added Jada
  • Love 1

So many of them look stiff and uncomfortable with the poses. Not that they look bad, none of them do, the poses just don't look relaxed & natural.

• Like 1
  • Love 11
(edited)

It's hard to  explain but I think some of their faces and poses don't match. The ones where I love the pose/body, their face doesn't look right and vice versa. Cute pose, too sexy face. Sexy pose, smiley face. These girls are soooo beautiful but it's a mix of weird make-up/lighting, fillers/plumpers and odd facial expressions.

My favourite shot is the one of Kat with her eyes shut, purely because it looks a bit more offf-the-cuff. I'm a bit bored of the same poses over and over. Lea, Jessica, Ashlinn and Madeline's 2nd pics are other faves. Kelee looks stunning and natural too. 

I will admit though I've never been crazy for Christina but she photographs like a dream. I do fear some Bridget flashbacks with a too-tight top though!

Also, what on earth is going on with Caroline's hair?!

Edited by DCC-UK
added to
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

That pose Megan is doing always looks awkward. I don't like a lot of the facial expressions the girls are doing. Rebecca's head looks so small compared to her body. Christina has way better pics than that. Jensen still looks a lot older than she is. Claire isn't looking at the camera. LOVE Lea's pic. Just some of my critiques/opinions. Lol

I always think the best photos are when they are smiling.  Like that last one of Madeline.  

• Love 2

For those that keep track of everything, is there a correlation between being point & being a cover of one of calendars especially the wall one & the Star magazine. I believe Whitney I. was  on the wall calendar cover.

• Love 1

I love Lea... she's so cute!

Kelee looks natural and so gorgeous. 

And I haven't seen a bad picture of Christina or Tori yet....they are both soooo photogenic!

• Love 9