Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Let's Begin

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

I watched The Witcher in 2 days and I'm disappointed I rushed through it. I planned to drag out Cobra Kai but, somehow I think I'll be done in 2-3 days.

I really enjoyed this episode. I love that Miguel used Rocky 3 to try and coax Johnny.

Is this the first season produced specifically for Netflix? The flashbacks to preview seasons and the movies felt a little jarring, mostly because there were so many. 

• Love 4

Been waiting for this season ...will probably watch it all today.

"Eagle Fang"  - what a perfect name - love the logo  😂

Wax on, wax off vs Johnny's way of having them clean the car 😅 Love how Johnny gets his recipes 😂

Funny how the actors playing the kids are in their 20s. Sam Larusso is 25. 

Training together separately at opposite ends of the dojo 😂

Love Johnny ❤ 

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I watched The Witcher in 2 days and I'm disappointed I rushed through it. I planned to drag out Cobra Kai but, somehow I think I'll be done in 2-3 days.

I really enjoyed this episode. I love that Miguel used Rocky 3 to try and coax Johnny.

Is this the first season produced specifically for Netflix? The flashbacks to preview seasons and the movies felt a little jarring, mostly because there were so many. 

Yes, love how he evoked Rocky 3. Why can't LaRusso be Apollo? 😂

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Two days? I barely kept myself from launching it at 2 a.m. local time when it first became available.

I woke up at 1:30am and was like should I go downstairs and watch Cobra Kai?! Hmm, I was able to restrain myself, still binge the whole season in a day and, now I have nothing to do for the rest of the weekend 😂

• LOL 5
12 hours ago, Neiman said:

Yes, love how he evoked Rocky 3. Why can't LaRusso be Apollo? 😂

Well Johnny was the original champ, like Apollo, and Daniel is Italian like Rocky.  And both Apollo and Johnny had neglected sons.

• Useful 3
16 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Well Johnny was the original champ, like Apollo, and Daniel is Italian like Rocky.  And both Apollo and Johnny had neglected sons.

It seems as if the Chuck Cunningham treatment continues for Danial's son.

I don't understand the trigger that is causing Terry Silver to revert to the crazy man tormenting a teenager. Perhaps episode 2 will expand on it. 

With both teams teaching a mix of Miyagi-Do and Cobra Kai karate I guess it comes down to the generally more experienced in actual fights and tournaments Miyagi/Eagle Fang against the more athletic  and mean Cobra Kai

• Love 1

I'm not going to gun the whole show down, but I'll watch some tonight, and probably during the week. I forgot how ridiculous the ending fight was. Also how Tory is insufferable. I'm hoping this is a redemption season for her. I also appreciate Daniel and his wife actually talked about going to the police here. 

I do appreciate that Johnny and Daniel looked at each other like they have no idea what they're doing. That's fair. The strength of the show is Johnny and Daniel in scenes together, and they need to maximize that if this is the last season (I'm speculating). I like that the kids are trying. 

'Why do you have a rock in the middle of your dojo?!' 

Robbie's hair looks so so much better, and Miguel looked like he bulked up. I'm enjoying the actor (Robbie). He's not as snippy and whiny. "You're not getting what you want" could have leaned that way, and he played it much more grown up. Good ending monologue too. 

I wonder who is the Outlander fan (with the password). 

I don't remember anything about KK3 so I have no recollection of how Silver impacted the plot. I'm glad they're showing the flashbacks. He's nuts. 

On 12/31/2021 at 7:11 AM, Morrigan2575 said:

I love that Miguel used Rocky 3 to try and coax Johnny.

Brilliant. As soon as Miguel said "Rocky III", Johnny turned around "I'm listening". 

The melee with Robbie was really cool.

• Love 3

*Sob*. My Shotokan Karate dojo got exactly two indoor practices before we got Omicroned. I am trying not to be That Person who gets upset because a fictional representation of something does not match my lived experience.

Thst said, the whole "rival dojo" thing is halarious and impossible to hand-wave. Karatakas love practiceing with other Karatakas outside thier own dojos. I am still hoping Hillary Swank shows up. She can be the Sensei of an adult dojo and can figeratively and literally beat some sence into Johhny, Danny and Kreese.

Terry Silver has done well for himself. Wonder if we will get an explanation of how he got so rich. 

• Love 1

"I was so coked up in the 80's that I spent a couple months torturing a teenager over a high school karate tournament. Do you know how insane that is'

Yes Terrance, we do. Perfectly describes the absurdity of the plot of Karate Kind 3.  lol

• LOL 11
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, LanceM said:

"I was so coked up in the 80's that I spent a couple months torturing a teenager over a high school karate tournament. Do you know how insane that is'

Yes Terrance, we do. Perfectly describes the absurdity of the plot of Karate Kind 3.  lol

There was apparently a page in the original script where Terry was snorting before the sauna scene in KK3, but was written out. It was meant to describe his behavior, but they felt it went too far. Funny how 35 years later it all makes sense now.

• Love 2

My favorite line was right at the beginning - the awesome and super dramatic "Let's begin!" .... Demetri: "Begin what?" lol.

On 1/1/2022 at 5:25 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I do appreciate that Johnny and Daniel looked at each other like they have no idea what they're doing. That's fair. The strength of the show is Johnny and Daniel in scenes together, and they need to maximize that if this is the last season (I'm speculating). I like that the kids are trying. 

I liked that too - the attempted merging of two completely different dojos and styles was actually pretty realistic. I loved the kids just being completely confused.

Amanda continues to be the best. 

Miguel just completely outing Johnny's meet up with Alli was so awkwardly hilarious, but obviously Johnny and Carmen have a lot to figure out.

I know Tori has a lot of issues, but she's so unlikeable. Hopefully this season gives her some sort of better arc. 

Is Robbie the most skilled fighter of all the kids? That was a pretty amazing takedown of the Cobra Kai students. 

A solid start to the season.

• Love 4

Terry Silver being coked out of his mind for the entirety of Karate Kid III explains so much. 

Its great to see this show back again, and I really liked how they dealt with Johnny and Daniel combining their styles. They have basically no idea what they're doing, neither do the kids, and they still clearly have a ton of personal issues that they need to work out. Johnny and Daniel scenes are always the best, so I am really happy that they didnt fall out with each other after their first disagreement, yet again. The kids managed to solve their problem on their own. 

Miguel outing Johnny reconnecting with Ali in front of Carmen was hilarious, but hopefully it means they will talk soon.

• Love 6

So apparently Terry is channeling Christopher Walken now.

intro-1640658796.jpg

Christopher%20Walken-2.jpg4-8-2000_0.15.30.00.jpg

I can't unsee it now.

In all seriousness, so very happy this show is back. I'm trying my best to watch only one episode every few days when what I really want to do is binge all of them at once.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Robby is definitely the most sympathetic of the younger characters at the moment. Partly because he seems to be handling his problems (a lot of which he admittedly brought on himself) with maturity compared to the others, and partly because he's the only one who isn't driven by this absurd karate rivalry. I find myself wanting just one character to say, 'fuck all this ridiculous bullshit, I'm out' and he seems the most likely candidate.

Why do so many teen girl characters get the awful storyline that Sam has - 'two hot boys like me and I can't make up my mind, I just don't want to hurt either of them, my life is so tough!' It's impossible to sell without her coming off as self-absorbed and flighty.

I've not seen Karate Kid III in twenty years, at least, and never would have recognised Terry Silver. I can barely even remember the plot of that movie, other than some stuff about Mr. Miyagi selling bonsai trees and Daniel hanging off a cliff. But all the clips from the movie were immediately familiar.

Kreese is clearly mentally ill, and has been for a long time. Does it stem from Vietnam PTSD, or are there underlying causes? Either way, this guy is only going out one way. But considering he's in his seventies and moves like it, that shouldn't too hard to achieve.

The best part of the show is still Johnny's unreconstructed 80s clod vs Daniel's modern, touchy-feely guy, and Amanda's eye-rolling reaction to it all.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I bet Johnny regretted involving Miguel in his efforts to reconnect with Ali. lol

Terry Silver here seems to be doing even better than he was in KK3 and seems richer as well. He mentions he was on cocaine during KK3 and the time frame around it but went through therapy and overcame any need to use. He’s living a dream life I would say, but of course Kreese says he is living a bad life. I’d take Silver’s life and the path he took ANY DAY over living in homeless shelters and not even making an effort in therapy like Kreese.

Johnny and Daniel need to rely on some next generation advice from their students when they are being irrational with their arguing. They also need to get it together as the main goal is not to one up each other but to win the tournament so Kreese has to shut down due to their bet.

• Love 1