Type keyword(s) to search

I Am Shauna Rae - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 1/25/2022 at 9:49 PM, chenoa333 said:

I'm getting the impression Shauna thinks she's "all that". She doesn't like hugs. She doesn't like that her date is tall. She doesn't care that he played football. She seems like a real pain in the ass.

Agree!  I haven't really been watching intently but have caught most of the episodes in bits and pieces.  Wow is she annoying!  I don't know if she's just a rude bitch or if she's using her snappy mouth and aggressive behavior to overcompensate for her small stature. 

She really stated that she can't go to college because of her size??? WTF?  Jen Arnold is a freaking doctor and her physical limitations far exceed Shauna's.  I get that it would be annoying constantly explaining her physical situation, but unfortunately many people have aspects of their lives that suck; however they can't just sit home and do nothing without even trying to face their challenges.  Fail to see why going to college would really be that big of an issue for her.  Ditto with the driving.  

Her older sister that no longer lives at home seems to be kind and pleasant in what we've seen, but Shauna brags about how they don't get along and how mean she is to the sister.  She's such a rebel with her tattoos and vaping isn't she?

We have already seen several reality show staples such as the axe throwing and now pole dancing.  I was bored with the setups to illustrate the surprised reactions to her age about 15 minutes into the first episode.  I fail to see how TLC thought this woman and this family was interesting enough to sustain a 1 hour special, much less an entire series!

• Love 15
51 minutes ago, Joan van Snark said:

I fail to see how TLC thought this woman and this family was interesting enough to sustain a 1 hour special, much less an entire series!

Agree 100%. I will come here to read the comments but I have no desire to watch this entitled little twat. People in this world with missing limbs, paralysis, disfigurement etc and they live life to the fullest. 

If she wants to get a college degree and can't drive or walk to campus classes, then do online college. 

I'm sorry she got dealt a brain tumor early on but for fuck's sake, you made it. TLC must be desperate for new edgy storylines This one is a huge flop. 

• Love 14
37 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Agree 100%. I will come here to read the comments but I have no desire to watch this entitled little twat. People in this world with missing limbs, paralysis, disfigurement etc and they live life to the fullest. 

If she wants to get a college degree and can't drive or walk to campus classes, then do online college. 

I'm sorry she got dealt a brain tumor early on but for fuck's sake, you made it. TLC must be desperate for new edgy storylines This one is a huge flop. 

This is how I feel about it. Yes, it sucks but you have a body that works. She's very entitled and works the crying. She does the quivering voice. I can't do this and I can't do that. So much can't.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, nokat said:

When I saw that she likes to slap and punch people I thought she has issues other than her size. She is kind of an asshole. 

She enjoys making her sister "uncomfortable" this week...  So hostile!!!

Maybe she's the world's smallest dominatrix?  That would be a new TLC plotline!

2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

TLC must be desperate for new edgy storylines This one is a huge flop. 

I can just see Kate Gosselin watching at home and fuming.  "I'M more interesting than THIS!"

Edited by all4mom2
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, nokat said:

This is how I feel about it. Yes, it sucks but you have a body that works.

She's actually in great shape and seems very athletic...  What about becoming a personal trainer to little people?  She could market herself at the LPA conference and then fly all over the country to coach them. 

Oh, wait; she CAN'T fly by herself...

Edited by all4mom2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

She seriously bugs me with all her cants… she is not the only short person in the world. Pretty sure she could find ways to adapt if she wanted. I sort of get her mom living in constant fear that this tumor could recur, but as a mom, you can’t transfer that crippling fear to your kids to the point that they’re too afraid to do anything. She can’t fly because someone will call cps? Don’t walk around like a scared child and nobody will give you a second look. She’s annoyed having to show her ID? That’s the hand you were dealt. She’s proportionally small, so not obviously a little person like someone with achondroplasia. 

• Love 11

I like her a lot. Shame on TLC for the way they tried to promote this show originally,  making it crassly seem like "Oh, look, here's this person people think is a kid drinking and smoking and seeing what she can get away with!" She and the show have so much more depth than that. 

I hope they let us know if she's ok in the season finale.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, FurBabyMama said:

but as a mom, you can’t transfer that crippling fear to your kids to the point that they’re too afraid to do anything.

I think that is a big part of the problem. They almost lost her and coddled her and now it's all she can't instead of she can.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, JeanJean said:

I like her a lot...I hope they let us know if she's ok in the season finale.

I can't find much to like; she's intentionally rude and insulting to almost everyone.

And I'm sure she's fine.  Gotta drum up some drama for the big finale!

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

I can't find much to like; she's intentionally rude and insulting to almost everyone.

She is. I get that she is envious of her sisters who are moving on. She can go to college. There are smart children who are in college.  She'll get noticed but not for long.

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, nokat said:

She is. I get that she is envious of her sisters who are moving on. She can go to college. There are smart children who are in college.  She'll get noticed but not for long.

Even being envious, which is understandable, is not an excuse to deliberately try to hurt people.  She seems to take pleasure and pride in it.  It's a little disturbing.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Even being envious, which is understandable, is not an excuse to deliberately try to hurt people.  She seems to take pleasure and pride in it.  It's a little disturbing.

Yes!  I can't remember the exact words, but I couldn't believe she said something to the effect that she knows what to say to hurt her older sister, and totally seemed to enjoy doing so.  It seems to me that the older sister is the only one that even remotely calls her on her BS  and maybe that's the reason for the hostility.  

Shauna just seems like such an abrasive little asshole.  I laughed at the post above that said maybe she could make her name as the world's smallest dominatrix.

I am really confused what the issue is between those two.  i appreciate that the older sister wasn't really in to pole dancing and penis props for her bachelorette party.  I feel the same way as her.  Why does everything these days have to be so crude and crass?  What's wrong with a nice brunch?  You can still have fun without being vulgar.  

I find the youngest sister a little odd as well.  I would guess her to be 14 - 16 based on her looks and behaviors, not 18.  This is very shallow, but if I knew I was going to be on national TV I think I'd look into some Whitestrips to fix my very prominent yellow front teeth.

Is the father's primary source of income puppet shows?  I wasn't really paying close attention during that scene.  

I was kind of surprised to see that next week (only ep 6) is the season finale.  I guess TLC, like the rest of us, realized there just wasn't that much interesting going on with these people.

Does anyone know how it's doing in the ratings?  Wonder if it will be a one and done?

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

I fought with my sister when I was eight. You get over it. She does deliberately hurt people, and at 21 she should be over it. If you want to be an adult, then act like it.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, nokat said:

She does deliberately hurt people, and at 21 she should be over it. If you want to be an adult, then act like it.

Shauna Rae: "I'm 22!!!  Do I have to show you my ID???  A******!!!"

She's also a bit of a potty-mouth; I noticed they had to bleep several F-bombs.

Guess that's part of being an adult along with getting tats and vaping!

Edited by all4mom2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

Shauna Rae: "I'm 22!!!  Do I have to show you my ID???  A******!!!"

She's also a bit of a potty-mouth; I noticed they had to bleep several F-bombs.

Guess that's part of being an adult along with getting tats and vaping!

I miswrote that she is 21. It is like she is thinking that tattoos and vaping equals adult. Unlike driving and working.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Joan van Snark said:

Is the father's primary source of income puppet shows?  I wasn't really paying close attention during that scene.  

How could THAT possibly pay a decent wage? What a strange "career" for a middle age adult.

There's something about this entire family that just doesn't seem right. At least the dogs seem normal. 

• LOL 7
6 hours ago, nokat said:

And the more she does with her life and has to offer the world, the less people will focus on her stature and will pay attention to her accomplishments. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, readheaded said:

And the more she does with her life and has to offer the world, the less people will focus on her stature and will pay attention to her accomplishments. 

Bada Bing! True for all people no matter what their physical differences might be. But Shauna seems like she feeds off the attention she gets for being small.

She needs to do something with her life that attracts people for other, more meaningful qualities. Like intelligence, kindness, perseverance. Go volunteer somewhere. Maybe at a hospital in the unit that cares for babies born addicted to drugs, alcohol. Rocking them to sleep. Or knit little baby caps for the newborns. Or volunteer at an animal shelter. 

She can't drive? Call Uber. No Uber in her neck of the woods? Tell dad to drop her off on his way to his puppet show. 

And has it ever been mentioned what mom does for an income?  

• Love 7
3 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

And being open (tasteless) about sex.  Maybe she's hoping to achieve "Only Fans" status?

I thought she had said she had sex? With the clingy family who want to know everything?

15 minutes ago, nokat said:

I thought she had said she had sex? With the clingy family who want to know everything?

Yeah, I'm dubious about that (but "adults have sex").  The one date through the matchmaker seemed like a major deal!  I can't imagine where or how she managed to hook up in the past...

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

I can't imagine where or how she managed to hook up in the past...

I wonder if she'd be eligible to attend a Little People of America event, and I wonder if there are other people like her, who didn't grow because of medical problem after birth.
I do wish she see if she could make her voice sound older.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I wonder if she'd be eligible to attend a Little People of America event, and I wonder if there are other people like her, who didn't grow because of medical problem after birth.
I do wish she see if she could make her voice sound older.

I'm sure, since she's a dwarf (medically induced, if that's the actual story), but I am sure there are reasons why she "can't" attend!  Her immaturity and angry outbursts actually remind me of one of the primordial dwarfs who had a couple of TLC specials; Hannah, I believe?  She was also coddled by her mother/family.

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Joan van Snark said:

This is very shallow, but if I knew I was going to be on national TV I think I'd look into some Whitestrips to fix my very prominent yellow front teeth.

If her hair is naturally red, that is the genetic colour of her teeth, not a stain, and no amount of Whitestrips will make a dent in the colour. Though adding some colour to her face could help so that it is not so much whiter than her teeth.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, nokat said:

I think her parents have overprotected rather than coddled her. I don't know why her parents wouldn't research ways to help her to become independent. I think employers will be hesitant to hire her due to her height. She does have some limitations she can't lift over a certain amount and she is shorter than a file cabinet.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I think her parents have overprotected rather than coddled her. I don't know why her parents wouldn't research ways to help her to become independent. I think employers will be hesitant to hire her due to her height. She does have some limitations she can't lift over a certain amount and she is shorter than a file cabinet.

Jen Arnold is barely over 3 feet tall, and she was able to become a doctor. She obviously was able to find employers to hire her. Shauna just put limitations on herself, expecting the world to adapt to her, instead of her figuring out how to adapt to the world. Can’t reach the top drawer of a file cabinet? Leave a stepstoOl at work. 

• Love 9
16 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

How could THAT possibly pay a decent wage? What a strange "career" for a middle age adult.

There's something about this entire family that just doesn't seem right. At least the dogs seem normal. 

HOW can they afford to live on LI ? Why move there? I need more info!

12 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

Yeah, I'm dubious about that (but "adults have sex").  The one date through the matchmaker seemed like a major deal!  I can't imagine where or how she managed to hook up in the past...

I don’t think that matchmaker is any good. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I would say "overprotecting" and "coddling" is a distinction without a difference.

As for employment, there are tons of online jobs available now, but I see no reason why she can't sit at an adjusted desk and do computer work.  No one uses physical "file cabinets" anymore.  Is it large animal vet or no job at all for her?

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Is it large animal vet or no job at all for her?

If it's a veterinarian job, whether small animal practice or farm animals, she needs to get enrolled in a reputable college NOW. It's 4 years of college and 4 years of vet school.

I'm wondering if this family,especially Shauna, are trying to become SM sensations. Lots of money to be made if you have many followers. Lots of free gifts from companies that want to use you to shill their products. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

I would say "overprotecting" and "coddling" is a distinction without a difference.

As for employment, there are tons of online jobs available now, but I see no reason why she can't sit at an adjusted desk and do computer work.  No one uses physical "file cabinets" anymore.  Is it large animal vet or no job at all for her?

Back in the dark ages I was lifting file boxes. But yes, online jobs are available and they don't care about what you look like.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

It's harder to get into vet school than medical school - not that it's ever technically too late, but kids who want that job have been gearing up their resumes for it since jr high.  As she acknowledged, her arms simply aren't long enough to perform some of the examination skills required. Yes, there are small animal practices, but I don't think she could handle a dog that outweighed her, and probably half the client dogs WOULD. My dogs are super cooperative, but the vets/vet techs still need to sometimes use a restraining reach around their bodies for certain tasks and she wouldn't be able to do this.

I appreciate the comments from some of the smaller folks here and am examining my own knee jerk reactions regarding the dating situation.

I do think addressing her voice would help some of it, but until she's got crows feet and grey hair, or puts on more weight than would be good for her, she's going to trigger concerned looks when in adult settings, because at first glance (and especially from behind) she looks like a young child, one who shouldn't be in a bar or nightclub. That said, they should have told the bartender to address the people who were trying to take pictures of her (if they were). That's plain awful and the bar shouldn't tolerate it. 

I don't doubt that like many people with unusual physical conditions, she is targeted for stares and other rude behavior. But we also have to keep in mind that dragging a TLC film crew around is cause enough alone for stares. If I see a camera crew I'm going to try to figure out who's being filmed and why, so it's a little disingenuous to take one out in public then whine that people are looking at you (even if they routinely do so when you DON'T have one with you.) 

• Love 4

I'm 5'6" and got carded until I hit 30. I would have my ID ready to show as soon as the server looked at me quizzically, before they said anything. I never thought of them as targeting or disrespecting me, but of them doing their jobs to protect minors.

What's next, a TLC show about prematurely grey people who keep getting offered Senior Discounts? Or people like me who are seniors now but asked to show my ID to get my discount?

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

What's next, a TLC show about prematurely grey people who keep getting offered Senior Discounts?

😂

5 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

Does the mother work?  I see no visible means of support here...

Maybe she designs and sews the puppets for big daddy's puppet shows

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, FurBabyMama said:

Jen Arnold is barely over 3 feet tall, and she was able to become a doctor. She obviously was able to find employers to hire her. Shauna just put limitations on herself, expecting the world to adapt to her, instead of her figuring out how to adapt to the world. Can’t reach the top drawer of a file cabinet? Leave a stepstoOl at work.

Jen Arnold looks and sounds like an adult, albeit a small one.  That's true of all of the little people on shows, that I can think of.  (Well Matt is kind of an asshole, but...)

• Love 1
7 hours ago, nokat said:

Back in the dark ages I was lifting file boxes. But yes, online jobs are available and they don't care about what you look like.

I disagree I think Shauna would be independent if her parents encouraged her. I think that's why she doesn't get along with her sister her sister is living the life she wants to lead.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Jen Arnold looks and sounds like an adult, albeit a small one.  That's true of all of the little people on shows, that I can think of. 

They're all achons, I believe, except for Jen Arnold, who also has sort of a helium voice.  Shauna is more like a primordial dwarf (proportionate, but with an underdeveloped larynx; hence the higher pitch).  She COULD at least slow her speech a little and lose the Valley Girl vocal fry; that would help.

Wow, stepdad sounds like a real winner!  Yup; this show is their meal ticket.  I'll bet they're losing child support from the bio dad now that the youngest child (Rylee) is 18.

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 6
46 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

They're all achons, I believe, except for Jen Arnold, who also has sort of a helium voice.  Shauna is more like a primordial dwarf (proportionate, but with an underdeveloped larynx; hence the higher pitch).  She COULD at least slow her speech a little and lose the Valley Girl vocal fry; that would help.

Wow, stepdad sounds like a real winner!  Yup; this show is their meal ticket.  I'll bet they're losing child support from the bio dad now that the youngest child (Rylee) is 18.

I think Shauna Rae could do more to make herself appear older. Working on her voice would be one thing. A more professional haircut and clothes. A whole new mature attitude. I dislike this whole “trapped in an 8 year old’s body” angle. But as others are saying, it is the meal ticket. 

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Yes, the "let's have a really raunchy party because that will make sister mad," is high school stuff.  

More like Junior High.  Grow up if you want people to realize you are an adult, Shauna.

• Love 9

I felt bad for the sister at her brunch (and the drag queens, too).  I know very well the feeling of knowing you're the butt of the joke because your "friends" are trying to make you uncomfortable, but not wanting to hurt the third party who has no idea what's going on, so you have to wrestle with your hostility and resentment so as not to offend. And the drag queens had this big tv break but a guest of honor who did NOT want to participate.

I assume in real life they'd just back off or switch focus to someone else in the party if the guest of honor wasn't into it, but what are they going to do with cameras rolling and a pre-arranged Newlywed Game skit for the bride to be? 

• Love 7

I only watched this in bits and pieces just to see who she was. Her voice grates, she seems to always have an excuse as to why she can't do much, and her tattoos are ugly. Her parents seem to coddle her (probably always have, but more so now since she is their meal ticket) and I don't know why she is even on our TV's. 

• Love 8