Type keyword(s) to search

How I Met Your Father - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 6/9/2023 at 3:34 PM, tired and hungry said:

That being said I'm just tolerating and watching the show because I liked HIMYM so much and still watch episodes and quote the hilarious dialogues till this day.. But HIMYF doesnt really do anything for me.. I rarely laugh at any of the so called "jokes". Everyone except Sophie seems to have different personalities every episode. What I liked about HIMYM was each member had their own quirks and funny moments and these were consistent throughout the show but here its just so random. 

Yeah, the different personalities every episode kinda bums me out. That's why the bro code bit doesn't work. These characters are not bros. 

I think I miss them looking like grown ups. Adults with doubts, faults etc. But grown ups. Friends, HIMYM, Living Single, Scrubs...they were sitcoms and ensembles with plenty of high jinks but the characters were mostly like people, I guess. 

I actually don't want Sid and Hannah breaking up because it's a storyline that has a real conflict with feelings I can understand. 

But I'm still watching. 

• Like 1
On 6/12/2023 at 6:47 PM, braziliangirl said:

Yeah, the different personalities every episode kinda bums me out. That's why the bro code bit doesn't work. These characters are not bros. 

I think I miss them looking like grown ups. Adults with doubts, faults etc. But grown ups. Friends, HIMYM, Living Single, Scrubs...they were sitcoms and ensembles with plenty of high jinks but the characters were mostly like people, I guess. 

I actually don't want Sid and Hannah breaking up because it's a storyline that has a real conflict with feelings I can understand. 

But I'm still watching. 

I thought the episode where Ellen was starting a new job would have resulted in more avenues to explore with her character outside of her being the LGBTQ trope... but alas, not much focus has been on her career aspirations/adjustments to working a more corporate job vs her more free spirited personality/upbringing.

Friends usually used all the main characters professional lives for comic potential (Rachel working at the coffee shop then at her retail jobs with recurring bosses/co workers, Monica as a chef, Ross at the museum, Joey's acting gigs, Chandler's job/career change, Phoebe's singing/work gigs).  It added new avenues to explore the characters.

I think Valentina's job has provided some good moments.. but not seeing that really with the other characters.

On 6/17/2023 at 10:28 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I thought the episode where Ellen was starting a new job would have resulted in more avenues to explore with her character outside of her being the LGBTQ trope... but alas, not much focus has been on her career aspirations/adjustments to working a more corporate job vs her more free spirited personality/upbringing.

I think for now the main aspect is that she is working at a "Goliath" company. Maybe it has potential for something in the future or at the least we can expect to see some old GNB members?

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Did the teachers purposely go to the bar where they know Jesse hangs out?

I hadn't thought about it, felt it was just a coincidence but then drew knew he and the others were always there so seems like probably , yes, they went there knowing he'd be there. Which is kind of crappy of them. 

• Like 1

Started catching up with new episodes the other day and in the one with Sophie’s new job and now the one with Jesse’s co-workers, I can’t tear my eyes away from Hillary Duff’s eyebrows. Have they always been that … powerful? I feel like I would have noticed in previous episodes. It’s like they get thicker and darker WHILE I’m watching.

• Like 1
On 6/12/2023 at 6:47 PM, braziliangirl said:

But I'm still watching. 

This multi personality thing is so true. One day it just seems like a character has this out of left field problem that comes from ????

Ellen also just seems so out of place on this show.

Yikes, I hate Ellen’s whole “you have to take me exactly as I am” just because Rachel doesn’t want to be tickled and gaped at the second she gets home. Reminds me of Ted’s “if we have quirks that the other person doesn’t immediately find endearing, we can never be compatible” thing when he dated the woman with the cats on HIMYM. 

Stories where tolerance, healthy boundaries, and slowly building lives together should really be the norm. 

Super annoying that that Rachel tried moving away instead of talking to her as well, these contrivances are painfully dumb. 

• Like 1

I want to like Ellen so much, but she is so badly written and annoying.

Anything and everything with (young) Sophie is terrible. I don't know if it's the writing or HD not being a strong enough actor to carry her own show, but it's bad. It's all bad. I think this crew is supposed to be late 20s/early 30s, but none of these actors are convincing as that age group. Their storylines are written for young people in NYC trying to figure it all out, but they all look so much older that I'm left wondering why they aren't talking about their 401Ks, inflation, etc.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 7/6/2023 at 3:56 PM, Night Cheese said:

I want to like Ellen so much, but she is so badly written and annoying.

Anything and everything with (young) Sophie is terrible. I don't know if it's the writing or HD not being a strong enough actor to carry her own show, but it's bad. It's all bad. I think this crew is supposed to be late 20s/early 30s, but none of these actors are convincing as that age group. Their storylines are written for young people in NYC trying to figure it all out, but they all look so much older that I'm left wondering why they aren't talking about their 401Ks, inflation, etc.

HD hasn't matured beyond the Lizzie McGuire mannerisms.  She's better in a supportive role (i.e. Younger) then as a lead.

I just watched the last four episodes - have been finding it more of a chore to watch. It's not terrible, but not anything I look forward to watching.

The best part of the no-phone episode was Bye Bye Bye at the end - I haven't actually heard that song in a good long while!

I have never been able to re-watch HIMYM after the finale, so I honestly don't know if it's just my perspective that has changed as the years have gone by, or if it's this show. It has some funny one-liners and I do sometimes laugh out loud, but I find it hard to relate to any of the characters, despite being in a similar life age/stage as them, whereas I was quite a bit younger while watching HIMYM.

Was that the finale?? 

Not impressed with the image they showed at the end.

Spoiler

Maybe it's just Valentina's kid and Charlie isn't the father.

Either way I dislike the trope where one person in a relationship really wants a baby and will not back down when the other person has clearly stated they will never want kids and then ends up being magically ok with everything when the baby arrives

• Like 3

That kinda felt like a "We have no idea if we are getting a season 3" feel.

Show could be cancelled and they can be like yep we confirmed one romance and gave strong hints towards the other that's all you get!

Thought in spoiler tag in case anyone hasn't seen it yet since it just came out 24 hours ago :

Spoiler

Jesse has always seemed like the "Robin" of the series from the beginning. Not sure if he is the actual father in the end, but if this show is done here the writers can probably just use that as a cop out even if that wasn't their intention overall. If this series goes longer not sure if Jesse will be the father or they will just do the whole thing like HIMYM where they get together in the future anyway.

Charlie appears off the table and that never seemed like a possibility anyway. I also think Ian and Josh peck's character are likely off the table. So that really just leaves Sid or Jesse. Unless there was some other random at the originally party in season that was said "The father was there that night" just like "Your mother was in that classroom!" So can't rule out some other random just showing up later.

I could totally see if this series goes another season or two that Jesse/Sophie break up and Ted just randomly shows up to give Sophie some kind of inspiration like Barney did with the father storyline.

However if this is it Jesse is probably the cop out father and that is that.

• Like 3

I really enjoyed this season and I hope it's renewed.

UO here but I love Ellen. She's actually probably my fave. Her and Sid, so I was happy to see them get scenes together in the finale.

I also love Charlie and I'm with you @tired and hungry in being annoyed that apparently he gives up on not wanting kids. Let people not want kids, for fuck's sake!

I think this season gave a lot of small hints that Sid is possibly the father and I am tentatively OK with that but I think it'd actually be best if it's just Jessie.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I assume it must do pretty well for Hulu since they gave them so many episodes for season 2.

But with the writers strike and now the probable actors strike, I doubt we'll hear anything about whether it's renewed or not for a long while.

Also they pretty much 

Spoiler

Copied the entire storyline of Ted/Robin admitting feelings for each other and Marshall crying after lily took off for SF with this episode of Sophie/Jesse and then Sid crying.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I've seen multiple far superior shows get cancelled after two years. Both on streaming and network tv

I'm guessing it gets a third season because Freeform just picked up this show recently to air repeats 

10 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I also love Charlie and I'm with you @tired and hungry in being annoyed that apparently he gives up on not wanting kids. Let people not want kids, for fucks sake!

I did wonder if the kid is Valentina and Drew's maybe?? Since they were hooking up at the end.. Maybe they had a kid & broke up or Drew dies in the future and Charlie decides to co-parent the kid with Val? (In the picture the boy is sitting more closer to Val than Charlie, so maybe he's not his son at all)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Older Sophie (Kim Cattrall) literally said at the end of the episode that Val and Charlie had Alex. There's no ambiguity, the kid is Charlie's. 

The show has some potential but the acting is so manic and OTT. It's painful.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Megan said:

When Sid told Hannah he had a thing she immediately asked, with Sophie?

And he said no, why would you think that?

I noticed that too. That's also making me not rule out a Sid/Sophie pairing in the future. I enjoyed their dynamic in the previous episode when they're trying to figure out Parker's secret. I did chuckle at him saying "This is like those articles that turn into podcasts that turn into limited series. Then podcasts that recap the limited series!"

I'm such a sap, I thought Jesse and Sophie's kiss in the rain was sweet

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Older Sophie (Kim Cattrall) literally said at the end of the episode that Val and Charlie had Alex. There's no ambiguity, the kid is Charlie's. 

The show has some potential but the acting is so manic and OTT. It's painful.

I think it was ambiguous enough. Charlie could have adopted him. 

14 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

In which case he would still be Charlie's son.

Yea I dunno why this is even being argued. They obv went this route since they don't know  if the series is coming back.

(edited)

aw! I liked the last episodes. I'm pretty sure the dad is Sid. I like Jesse too and I can see both of them with Sophie. I wish they woudn't go for a love triangle with friends so close but...I think that's where it's heading. I did think older Sophie was very touched by remembering that perfect kiss. It's was so well acted. I was moved. 

Also, the scenes with Valentina and Charlie were great. I was surprised how happy I felt that they're together in the future. 

Hannah was great too. I was sad about the break-up. but...yeah, it's becoming more and more clear that Sid is the dad. 

Edited by braziliangirl
  • Like 1
On 7/15/2023 at 10:42 AM, Jillybean said:

In which case he would still be Charlie's son.

I know. I’m just saying he doesn’t have to be Charlie’s biological child. Maybe Valentina got pregnant, she and Charlie get back together eventually, he falls in love with the child and decideds to adopt him. Just thinking  why he would change his mind about having kids. Though, I agree with those who get annoyed characters are never allowed to not want kids. They always change their minds (in general)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I got the feeling they're confident they'll get picked up for a season 3, because they didn't touch upon the father mystery at all.

On 7/12/2023 at 1:56 PM, anthonyd46 said:

I also think Ian and Josh peck's character are likely off the table. So that really just leaves Sid or Jesse.

I thought Ian was still a player, and the most likely father. Sid, Jesse, Drew, and Charlie were all technically ruled out in the Valentine's Day episode when the son pointed out the dad wasn't even in the story. Ian appears in that episode, but isn't in any of the story scenes. I do think they're foreshadowing a potential Sid/Sophie pairing, since Hannah was quick to cast her as "the other woman," though.

Speaking of, I'm bummed that Val and Charlie are for all intents and purposes "endgame" because I thought Val and Sid have the best chemistry. I don't really care for any of the main pairings they've presented. Jesse and Sophie's Big Kiss fell flat for me, because of it.

On 7/12/2023 at 5:43 PM, peachmangosteen said:

UO here but I love Ellen. She's actually probably my fave. Her and Sid, so I was happy to see them get scenes together in the finale.

I was pretty ambivalent towards Ellen at the start, but started really liking her in the last three episodes. Even if the Ellen's bad haircut story was a really bizarre punchline that went nowhere. Maybe it's because she has a real, steady job, as a 30 something, and isn't playing a pretend adult like everybody else (except for Sid, who is also a fav.) 

• Like 1
On 7/18/2023 at 9:21 PM, absnow54 said:

I got the feeling they're confident they'll get picked up for a season 3, because they didn't touch upon the father mystery at all.

On 7/12/2023 at 11:26 PM, anthonyd46 said:

I hope they do coz we still need to see Ted, Marshall and Lily cameos... I hope some of their kids make appearances too...

I dont remember the original timelines but the kids should be old enough to appear in the HIMYF timeline

On 7/18/2023 at 11:51 AM, absnow54 said:

I thought Ian was still a player, and the most likely father. Sid, Jesse, Drew, and Charlie were all technically ruled out in the Valentine's Day episode when the son pointed out the dad wasn't even in the story. Ian appears in that episode, but isn't in any of the story scenes. I do think they're foreshadowing a potential Sid/Sophie pairing, since Hannah was quick to cast her as "the other woman," though.

Speaking of, I'm bummed that Val and Charlie are for all intents and purposes "endgame" because I thought Val and Sid have the best chemistry. I don't really care for any of the main pairings they've presented. Jesse and Sophie's Big Kiss fell flat for me, because of it.

I was pretty ambivalent towards Ellen at the start, but started really liking her in the last three episodes. Even if the Ellen's bad haircut story was a really bizarre punchline that went nowhere. Maybe it's because she has a real, steady job, as a 30 something, and isn't playing a pretend adult like everybody else (except for Sid, who is also a fav.) 

This is a good point I totally forgot about this. The other option would be we haven't met the father yet and it's one of those things like in HIMYM where "Your mother was in that class!", however, years later they inserted the real mother to be at that class. 

So therefore the father could have met Sophie the night of the engagement party referenced in the first episode and they just insert that later like they did with Josh Peck being at the party in episode 3 and the mother in HIMYM.

I called Sid at the first episode specifically because they don't show the son so they can obscure his racial mix. Having Sid already in a committed, but obviously troubled,  relationship is a common trope.

On 7/24/2023 at 5:25 PM, anthonyd46 said:

This is a good point I totally forgot about this. The other option would be we haven't met the father yet and it's one of those things like in HIMYM where "Your mother was in that class!", however, years later they inserted the real mother to be at that class. 

I can't remember how the timelines overlap, but if they wanted to reach maximum troll potential, they'd make Ted the dad. 

• LOL 2