Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Father and Son

Bort
  • Start Topic

38 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

If Dr. Aldridge admits that she is Josh and Riley's unborn fetus, then things would start to get a little weird.

From the little character development we've seen of Aldridge, that's possible, but it seems more fitting——now that you mention "Josh and Riley's unborn fetus"——that Josh and Riley manage to procreate a child who grows to be someone we have not seen yet who is crucial to the survival of humanity——or the destruction of humanity if Aldridge is either a psychopath or has been duped by a psychopath.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

From the little character development we've seen of Aldridge, that's possible, but it seems more fitting——now that you mention "Josh and Riley's unborn fetus"——that Josh and Riley manage to procreate a child who grows to be someone we have not seen yet who is crucial to the survival of humanity——or the destruction of humanity if Aldridge is either a psychopath or has been duped by a psychopath.

Maybe Aldridge is Silas’s daughter and they were colleagues in studying the sinkholes.  Silas could be the descendant of any one of this group( or not) , and has had a psychotic break due to those studies.  Why he wants to protect Gavin is a mystery. 

On 11/24/2021 at 11:16 AM, shapeshifter said:

Silas
——New theory on Silas' 21st century identity: He's Veronica and Lilly's "father," aka "Aaron,"
————who Veronica quotes as having told her that "God has a plan for us."
(Although the actor seems to convey that Isaiah really is his grandson. So IDK.)
————But Silas does seem to have a cult following in 10K B.C. or whenever
————which would fit with his 21st century profile of taking Veronica and Lilly to help them because it's god's purpose blah blah blah.

Veronica
——I'm wondering if Veronica's character was rewritten to have this redemption arc, of if this was always the plan?

Wolf Snack/Josh
——Speaking of questionable character development: Do the writers and casting agents realize how unlikeable Wolf Snack is? 

Rebecca Aldridge
——who is maybe another version of Lilly or is somehow related to Lilly? they both have the map and look ethnically similar
——tells the show's La Brea 2021 sky people campers that "Time is a Circle." 
——which is so close to quoting True Detective's Rust Cohle's Nietzschean "Time is a flat circle," which I'm not sure means anything in any time.

I don't think the writers thought this stuff. Maybe they are here and will use one of your ideas. 

I think this show will come up with the most impossible connections as long as the entertainment moves on, which is fine with me. It is really fun to watch how absurd it all is.

I was laughing out loud at the idea of sending Isiah back to 1988. How? Do they throw him up, hoping it wil be high enough to reach the little opening in the sky? Or maybe they will have time t build a giant sling shot? Poor kid.

If I were there, I would 100% sign up to go back with the kid, to 1988. Assuming the memory remains, a lot of disasters could be prevented, or maybe I would just write a long note to myself to prevent said disasters. 

The acting was really bad on this one. The hyperventilating while waiting for news on how Rebecca was doing was too much.

On 11/25/2021 at 2:17 AM, Artsda said:

This makes no sense

To be fair, nothing in this show makes sense, so all speculations are valid.

Poor Ella got dragged into the mess. Those people have no sense of anything. Ella finds a group of strangers in her property and all of a sudden they are walking towards her, as a wall, telling her to "please listen". Really people? Don't you see how menacing this would be for anyone? Curiosity aside, my instinct would be to run, lock the doors and call someone. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, circumvent said:

I was laughing out loud at the idea of sending Isiah back to 1988. How? Do they throw him up, hoping it wil be high enough to reach the little opening in the sky? Or maybe they will have time t build a giant sling shot? Poor kid.

Obviously they're going to discover a trampoline that fell through a sinkhole in the nick of time.

• LOL 7

Ha! 😆
Pretty much what a lot of us thought.😉

If I were there, I would 100% sign up to go back with the kid, to 1988. Assuming the memory remains, a lot of disasters could be prevented, or maybe I would just write a long note to myself to prevent said disasters. 

I vote that we send @circumvent through the sinkholes to do this!👏
But you better take one of the posters with you who seems to know about stock markets in order to finance your campaign to save the planet.

2 minutes ago, Abra said:

Obviously they're going to discover a trampoline that fell through a sinkhole in the nick of time.

Oh, and @circumvent, be sure to toss a trampoline in the sinkhole before you jump!

• Love 2

I think they said they were going to jump from the top of the tallest mountain onto the trampoline. I haven't finished all the calculations yet, but I think it is doable. I hope they don't forget to yell "To Infinity and Beyond!" when they jump.

• LOL 3
16 hours ago, Abra said:

WolfSnack Josh needs to go. I can't stand him. Is there a way to get Isaiah to delay going through the mountaintop light just long enough to get rid of Josh but keep Izzy? She doesn't bother me

He's the least charismatic actor on the show and it doesn't help when they pair him with Riley.  She brings something that he doesn't  What really doesn't help is that he acts like a spoiled teenager even though the actor is in his mid-twenties and it makes him seem even more immature.

2 hours ago, circumvent said:

Poor Ella got dragged into the mess. Those people have no sense of anything. Ella finds a group of strangers in her property and all of a sudden they are walking towards her, as a wall, telling her to "please listen".

At least they weren't asking if they could "give her some literature."

Weren't you paying attention?  I think it's obvious they're going to sit on each other's shoulders and lift him up that way.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Lugal said:

Weren't you paying attention?  I think it's obvious they're going to sit on each other's shoulders and lift him up that way.

yertle.jpg

(from Dr. Seuss's "Yertle the Turtle")

FWIW, the previews for next (season/series finale?) episode

Spoiler

show some climbing towards the light.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
  • I though the Jeep lost the tire after it hit the embankment or whatever, not the tiger.
  • Ty's illness had been strongly foreshadowed 
  • Where did the magic lasso come from to corral the Holstein?
  • Little Isaiah looks like a very young John 5.
  • Can we call Silas "NotJamesRemar" instead?
  • Love 2

Maybe it's just me, but I think Rebecca is full of s***, and has nefarious motives. I think she is planting the gavin/isaiah idea as the perfect manipulation tactic to make the other characters do as she wants. I don't believe Silas is the bad guy. I think he is protecting Isaiah from the evils of Rebecca's plans for him. He may even have come to 10000 b.c. as a selfless sacrifice for the higher cause of saving Isaiah (and humanity?) from a diabolical future unknown to us but known to him.

I write "Isaiah" because it bugs me to pronounce it this way and then spell it "Isiah." Just me lol.

Also, I can't get past the fact that Isaiah looks like Izzy, not like Gavin, and has basically the same name! Could it be he is Izzy somehow? They have been in the old world for a few years....could Izzy have experienced some time warp during her accident? And is Isaiah's scar for real, or could it have been planted (via time travel?) by Rebecca, either on Isaiah the child or on Gavin just before he was found wandering?

Love to hear reactions to these thoughts. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, SweaterGirl said:

Also, I can't get past the fact that Isaiah looks like Izzy, not like Gavin,

I think Izzy is actually the oddity. Little kids can sometime be very blond as children and then darken to where by their early teens they are brunettes. Gavin could have been that way. Izzy, with the blond hair and clearly in her late teens looks like the product of one of her mother's affairs

• LOL 1
On 11/26/2021 at 6:28 AM, circumvent said:

Or maybe they will have time t build a giant sling shot? Poor kid.

Acme made a pretty good model back in the day, I understand.  Maybe use it in tandem with a giant rock and a see saw. 

Edited by Dowel Jones
  • LOL 3

I was laughing out loud at the idea of sending Isiah back to 1988. How? Do they throw him up, hoping it wil be high enough to reach the little opening in the sky?

I think the idea is that they can climb up to the top of the mountain and just walk through the light because it's a ground level once you get up there. What I don't get is . . . where is this mountain, and how long is it going to take to get to the top of it? Rebecca said the light was going to close "that night" so they better hurry and get up there.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 11/26/2021 at 8:28 AM, circumvent said:

I don't think the writers thought this stuff. Maybe they are here and will use one of your ideas. 

I hope the show writers are reading here since you posters have better ideas and better writing skills than the real writers.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think the idea is that they can climb up to the top of the mountain and just walk through the light because it's a ground level once you get up there. What I don't get is . . . where is this mountain, and how long is it going to take to get to the top of it? Rebecca said the light was going to close "that night" so they better hurry and get up there.

Yeah, 

i had watched just part of the episode and the explanation came later. If the light is at ground level, then the people who come from 1988 are not "sky people". They are mountain people. Nitpicking because snarking is not enough for this show, LOL

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, SweaterGirl said:

Also, I can't get past the fact that Isaiah looks like Izzy, not like Gavin, and has basically the same name! Could it be he is Izzy somehow?

I have not been watching the last couple of episodes (just reading all the comments here to keep up with what's happening), but it's interesting that you say this because when Isaiah was first seen in the show I really thought he was a little girl. And even knowing he has a boy's name and is supposed to be a boy, he still has the look of a little girl--maybe it's the delicate features. But in any case, even knowing that the coloring and features of kids can change as they get older, it seems too extreme a change for Isaiah to become Gavin. 

If Isaiah is not Izzy, could they be fraternal twins (separated by time) or otherwise related? I have no idea how that would have happened, but I still find it easier to believe than Isaiah = Gavin.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 11/25/2021 at 6:56 PM, Abra said:

Dr. Scott's Neverending Magic Vape Pen.

That's the most believable thing about this show.  Those things really do last a long time since you only need a few puffs to feel the effects.  I have no idea how long they've been in 10kBC, though.  Two weeks?  He might be running low if it's more than that.  Maybe he had extra cartridges with him.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, izabella said:

That's the most believable thing about this show.  Those things really do last a long time since you only need a few puffs to feel the effects.  I have no idea how long they've been in 10kBC, though.  Two weeks?  He might be running low if it's more than that.  Maybe he had extra cartridges with him.

Poor Scott/Stoner Dude. Maybe they’ll discover a brick of cannabis (with viable seeds) amidst the heroin stash.

• LOL 1
On 11/27/2021 at 3:27 PM, circumvent said:

Yeah, 

i had watched just part of the episode and the explanation came later. If the light is at ground level, then the people who come from 1988 are not "sky people". They are mountain people. Nitpicking because snarking is not enough for this show, LOL

And the people that came from the ship are water people...

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
8 minutes ago, madmax said:

And the people that came from the ship are water people...

Do we have details on the ship's arrival? 
I'm imagining the ship getting sucked into the ocean in a vortex that plops them out on the coast nearest La Brea (or was that Seattle?) and if the Water People were of European descent, then I suppose they might adopt a version of Noah's Ark for their origin story.

But there's still that extraterrestrial-looking red "hand" print.

The fresh Pleistocene air must have healing properties since Rebecca was up and about within the hour.  Silas seriously didn't take his precious notebook with him?  I thought Rebecca would die so wouldn't get any more answers, but I guess the show is going with "It doesn't matter" and everyone going along with it.   How did Rebecca convince Lilly to go so quickly?

The "adventure" to get the cow was a surprisingly decent subplot.  Another romance with Scott and Veronica?

Wolf Snack turns on people so easily.  And his disbelief at everything is annoying.

If another portal opens up, they will have no idea if it leads to 1988 or 1497 or 1340.   At least this mountain portal has a known time stamp.

Ty and Paara going back to the clearing for "help" made no sense.  It seems unbelievable that all these places are so close together.

Silas and Isaiah apparently came from the sky just a few years ago and the Village People were fine with incorporating them into the community, but now all Sky People are hostile and enemies because Silas says so, even though he never even encountered the half horrible passenger ship people.

The dialogue is occasionally horrible on this show, but it's a relatively amusing diversion with an interesting premise.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1