Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Surviving, Okay?

• Start Topic

The stuff with Issa and Nathan felt like it belonged last season when they were still getting to know each other.  Besides the scenes with Issa's mother and Issa and Molly bonding, they could have kept this filler.  Dealing with her family as well as Molly trying to shoulder her work load would have been interesting enough for the whole 30 minutes.  

Hated the hospital scenes.  That's why you always lead with the patient's name, so you avoid some poor family getting the shock of the lives when they hear the news.  And the nurse's "You're one of those people" later on.  I work in healthcare so I admit my bias, but those scenes weren't funny, just cruel.

Yvonne did a great job this week, though.  It's so hard caring for aging parents, and it's harder knowing that there are things she's still discovering about their health.  They mean well, but it's not the first time they've kept secrets from her.

Issa and Nathan looked more like they were on a date than searching for the dog.  Just no urgency at all.

Although I don't mind learning more about Nathan, it feels pointless if all roads lead back to Lawrence.  I honestly think that admission of love was an accident on Issa's part.

• Love 12

The last minute of the show with Issa and Lawrence locking eyes told more story, and a more interesting story, than everything that came before it with Nathan.

I feel like the show wants me to be Team Lawrence. I can see them getting back together, especially since the drama with his baby mama seems mostly over.   But predictable as it would be I'm still pulling more for an I Choose Me ending for Issa.

It also feels like these last few episodes are going to be Molly's big last chance to pull herself together, get some perspective, really heal things with her parents, get her job on track. Five minutes into the finale she's going to meet someone perfect for her, and we get to wonder if she can finally make it work.

6 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Issa and Nathan looked more like they were on a date than searching for the dog.  Just no urgency at all.

Issa just moseying down the block mad at how her eyebrows look in the dog's picture. 😄

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I honestly think that admission of love was an accident on Issa's part.

When ILY slipped out of her mouth, I kept hoping she would quickly follow it up with.....as a friend because I was still pondering why two people who are sexing every night are still so awkward and tentative with each another, or maybe my real question was why are they sexing every night when they're still so awkward and tentative with each other? Oh, well. Looks like another fine mess she's gotten herself into.

1 hour ago, Lois Sandborne said:

I feel like the show wants me to be Team Lawrence. I can see them getting back together, especially since the drama with his baby mama seems mostly over.   But predictable as it would be I'm still pulling more for an I Choose Me ending for Issa.

Me too.

This season certainly isn't going the way I thought it would. I would have thought that they would have started untying knots by now. Instead, things seem to be getting more tangled.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

But predictable as it would be I'm still pulling more for an I Choose Me ending for Issa.

Issa has chosen herself.  Or being alone.  She hasn't been with anyone for a year once she decided she couldn't handle Lawrence having a baby with another woman. While romance has been a part of her story, her primary struggle has been reconciling who she is and wants as a professional black woman. Even with success, it's still something she's struggling with.

I'm not saying that I think Issa has to be with someone at the end.  She doesn't.  But I don't think her actively choosing not to be in a relationship would be a philosophical victory or growth for her. There's nothing wrong, shameful or less feminist for wanting to be in a relationship.  (Just as there's nothing wrong or shameful for preferring to be single.)

Molly choosing to be single, which is what she did over the past year, would more align with narrative growth for her.  Issa is awkward in relationships but Molly has been highly focused on relationships and then sabotaging anything that doesn't meet her very specific vision of a "worthy" man.

Now I don't now that Nathan is necessarily right for Issa either. There is still a lot of awkwardness between them.  Maybe that can be worked through.  Maybe not.  Saying "I love you" on the same day you can't outright state "looks like we're both free today, would you like to do something this morning? " is way too soon and adding more pressure to that relationship.

• Love 8

He spelled her name so good Molly said she'd change her name to Mally. 🥴

Well hello Nathan. How you doing? Literally showing out in those boxer briefs. 👀

Nathan going all Steph Curry with it, lol. There should be an organization for light-skinneded Black men with light eyes.

Yep, I also think Issa's falling too hard and too fast with Nathan. She noted that he didn't say he loved her too. She knows better.

Lawrence's baby looks just like him, with those little apple cheeks. Oh well, Lawrence. What could've been.

• LOL 3
5 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

The last minute of the show with Issa and Lawrence locking eyes told more story, and a more interesting story, than everything that came before it with Nathan.

I agree. I wrote last week that I get friendship vibes between Issa and Nathan. The ILY is too soon, I think. I don't see this ending well for Nathan. I get that relationships in the beginning stages can be awkward because you're still getting to know each other, but I still don't see the romance.

11 hours ago, Amethyst said:

This floored me. I'm biased because I have a pet, but for Issa to not be frantic about losing Flava Flav? That's like babysitting someone's child, you turn around for a second and they disappear, and you're like, eh, they'll turn up. What! The dog scene could've been cut for me. We're supposed to believe that Flav was out here crossing streets to go back home?

While this episode moved the plot forward in the end, it still felt filler-ish to me. The drama with Molly's family, her parents not setting up their estate planning, and her trying to deal with work could've been the whole episode, really.

Molly, tell your boss that your mother is in the hospital and take time off to deal with it. She was killing me during that conversation.

• Love 14

Nathan is fine. Whew. 

I like him and Issa together. It's chill, quiet, nice. I don't think they are going to last, though, because Lawrence is everywhere even when he isn't. I would've been fine with Issa/Lawrence but once he had a baby with Condola it was over for me. I don't want Issa to be Lawrence and Condola's baby step mom. I don't want that for her. I know it happens in life when you meet someone who has kids from a previous relationship, but this is Issa and Lawrence going back and forth for quite some time with a lot of toxicity in the mix and this situation should ultimately dead it (but most likely won't). If the show wanted me to root for Issa/Lawrence, they shouldn't have had him date and knock up a woman who was not only Issa's professional contact but someone she was becoming friends with. That connection could've continued to be great for Issa's career but the Lawrence of it all blew that up. YMMV 

I would love to see Daniel again. Talk about chemistry.  

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 7

Issa and Nathan are so awkward together it's kind of uncomfortable to watch and their lack of urgency about Flava Flav made me so mad. 

The whole episode probably should have been about Molly and her family. There was the potential for a good story in there, but they didn't do much with it. 

Edited by Evie
  • Love 7
12 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

If the show wanted me to root for Issa/Lawrence, they shouldn't have had him date and knock up a woman who was not only Issa's professional contact but someone she was becoming friends with. That connection could've continued to be great for Issa's career but the Lawrence of it all blew that up. YMMV 

Yeah, I really enjoyed the dynamic Issa and Condola had before Lawrence got involved, too. But it's clear Issa and Lawrence are on a collision course that's going to blow up the new steady states they've each found for themselves.

I felt Issa's awkwardness when she accidentally said it to Nathan. It was pretty clear in context that she meant it in a "that's what I love about you" sense, not a "I am in love with you" sense. But the only thing worse than being someone who declares their love for other people is being the person who does it and then tries to take it back (which no one ever buys anyway). At least Issa was socially savvy enough not to try.

1 hour ago, Sheenieb said:

Molly, tell your boss that your mother is in the hospital and take time off to deal with it. She was killing me during that conversation.

Same here. On the other hand, she probably didn't because then they'd definitely give her work to someone else, which she doesn't want. I felt for Molly—this was a tough episode for her and for once, none of it was her fault. There isn't a lot she can do if her parents won't write their wills or tell her and her brothers about their health problems.

• Love 3

This episode really should have just focused on Molly and her family with Issa showing up to give support, everything with Issa and Nathan felt so shoehorned in. The lack of urgency when they were looking for Flava Flave was really irritating, the last thing Molly needed while her mom was in the hospital was to find out that her dog is missing, they should have been looking everywhere for him, not casually strolling around like its just a date. Losing a friends dog is a big deal, even if it did turn out alright, they had no idea. I like Nathan, but they just have zero romantic chemistry. It seems obvious that Issa meant to just say "that's what I love about you" and not "I love you" but of course Issa feels too awkward to say anything. It seems like the episode was spinning its wheels with them, I am pretty sure that Issa and Lawrence will end up together, even if I think that ship should have already sailed. I like them better then Nathan/Issa, they have better chemistry and a more interesting story, but they have so much baggage.  

Molly's family being led to the wrong person was sort of funny, mostly uncomfortable. I really think they should have just focused on Molly and her family, her mom having a stroke, the estate planning, Molly trying to manage the situation in some way, bonding with Issa, that seems like it could have easily carried the whole episode. Also, Molly had made a lot of strides in her personal growth but she apparently still cant just tell her boss that she needs some time as her mom is in the hospital. Just tell your boss you need some time to deal with this stuff and then deal with it Molly!

Anything not involving Molly felt like filler, which is especially annoying when we don't have that much show left.

• Love 6

I think this episode very handily established three things:

1.  Issa and Molly's relationship is still important to them and it is being rebuilt brick by brick.  Issa being there for Molly was so important and I got the vibe it was important for her to show support in the aftermath of their vicious blow out last season in a way that is different than it would have been if that blow out hadn't happened.  Prior, I think the support would have been more effortless, the way this played out it felt specifically intentional on Issa's part.  It meant something to put in the work and be there for her friend.

2. Issa and Nathan is a non-starter.  It is a valiant effort but it isn't there.  And we know this because we immediately see how that anemic that 'I Love You' feels when she says it to Nathan and utterly insignificant it becomes when compared to the look on Issa's face when she sees Lawrence.  Again it is that effortless thing (Issa/Lawrence) compared to something that feels like it is a lot of work (Issa/Nathan).

3.  Issa has no time for Flava Flav. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

I was spearmint at the TV at that point. “Your Mom is in the hospital. Bump work!” 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Issa has no time for Flava Flav. 

I remembered when she had first quit We Got Y'all and she was doing chores for Molly, including dealing with Flavor Flav. She said then that she hated him. I thought she was kidding; apparently she was not!

4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Also, Molly had made a lot of strides in her personal growth but she apparently still cant just tell her boss that she needs some time as her mom is in the hospital. Just tell your boss you need some time to deal with this stuff and then deal with it Molly!

She really needs to just tell the partner (and I don't think Taurean outranks her, so what she needed to do was hang up and call whichever partner she reports to) that her mother is in the hospital and she'll be out for however long. If her mother ends up needing more care, she needs to take a leave. (I was unemployed when my dad became ill and ultimately passed, and while it was a different kind of stress, I think it was easier than it would have been trying to balance work and that.) I remember a few years ago my mother had a fall and ended up in the ER and I was at work like "My mom is in the ER, I don't know what the situation is, I'm going there. I'll check in later" as I was packing up my shit and leaving.

Issa's face said SO MUCH when she saw Lawrence, Condola, and the baby looking like a family unit. Lawrence's did too. Ol' Nanceford is fine as hell and I think his Houston drawl is so sexy, but I don't see yearning between them like I do with Issa and Lawrence. I agree with those who are pulling for an "I choose me" ending because I don't want Issa with Lawrence in Lawrence's situation.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

It's been awhile since they depicted the politics in Molly's office.  Taurean is a rival and it looked like Molly didn't want to pass off a key assignment to someone else.  She was going to figure out a way to do it at all costs.

13 hours ago, funnygirl said:

I would love to see Daniel again. Talk about chemistry.  

But he's the one which caused her relationship with Lawrence to fall apart.  And she's been always looking for Lawrence while she seemed to close the chapter on Daniel and never looked at it again.  It's been a couple of seasons so if they wanted to revisit the character and the relationship, they had their chances.

This episode seems to be about how Molly is going to change.  Like she said, she was sleeping with a random guy while her mother and family was having a life-changing event.  She's regretful she couldn't give her mother grandchildren.  Doesn't necessarily mean she's going to hurry up and get married by the end of the show but it looks like they will depict her making some changes.

As for Lawrence at the end, the way she froze and the way they had that gaze across the room chemistry, they do seem to be telegraphing Lawrence and Issa as the end game.  People don't always follow or pursue the one who gives them butterflies so maybe they don't go that route.  But it's Hollywood so it wouldn't be shocking.

• Love 2
On 11/22/2021 at 9:59 AM, Irlandesa said:

Issa has chosen herself.  Or being alone.  She hasn't been with anyone for a year once she decided she couldn't handle Lawrence having a baby with another woman. While romance has been a part of her story, her primary struggle has been reconciling who she is and wants as a professional black woman. Even with success, it's still something she's struggling with.

I'm not saying that I think Issa has to be with someone at the end.  She doesn't.  But I don't think her actively choosing not to be in a relationship would be a philosophical victory or growth for her. There's nothing wrong, shameful or less feminist for wanting to be in a relationship.  (Just as there's nothing wrong or shameful for preferring to be single.)

I kind of agree. Issa has definitely been making strides toward - as they called it back when I was in health class - self-actualization.  They've done a lot to show and tell us that her career is finally taking off, and she's becoming more secure professionally and personally. Thriving and flourishing, or however Kelli put it. But she hasn't done as much romantically. After the last break up with Lawrence, Issa might have been by herself or dating around, but she didn't actually close the book on him. There's still a lot of longing for that relationship, otherwise I think she would've been able to go over and say hey when she saw him and Condor at the hospital, or even to just keep it moving down the hallway. And just a month or so ago, she was crying on a whole other man's shoulder because of still being cut up about everything that happened with Lawrence.

Really my hopes that Issa ends the show without either of them are because I'd like her to both fully get over Lawrence and realize she's wasting her time with Nathan. I might've been on board with the show introducing someone good for her at the end of last season or the beginning of this season and building that up, but they didn't.

On 11/22/2021 at 3:09 PM, DearEvette said:

Issa and Molly's relationship is still important to them and it is being rebuilt brick by brick.

I didn't do Molly any favors by rewatching the series to catch up on everything; I came in with a renewed grudge against her. But even though it's disappointing we never got to see them work it out after all of the stuff they said and did, everything Issa and Molly in this episode drove it home that they really are back on track. Especially that post-coital clothes swap. I don't think I could do that for even my closest bff.