Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: What Prevents Us?

• Start Topic

With the future of Paula's health staring them in the face, she and Mike decide to take a giant leap in their relationship; Nick deals with some lingering hesitation about being vulnerable on camera.

Original air date: November 15, 2021

Wow - only 1 comment? I thought it was an OK episode until they ruined it with showing Gabby the video. I absolutely HATE how they do that and the person always jumps to the wrong conclusion and it takes forever to get it straightened out. I didn't like when Gabby said that it was his fault, even if he didn't kiss her and that he put himself in the situation. What is he supposed to do - avoid all women at all time? She kissed him - he told her he wasn't interested. Enough said.

I did enjoy Nick's one liners. He is amazing at that. But, I hope they don't soften him up too much. Just a little.

Edited by Retired at last
  • Love 2

This was a good Nick episode even though it was supposedly centered on Mike/Paula.  He just can;t stop directing even while officiating. LOL.

There were a lot of great one-liners and funny bits.  I liked the ring guy and how 'no one can look him in the eye' and also Travell's reaction when Julia's husband showed up in his yogurt shirt 'Oh, Fro-No!' And everything Miriam.

But outside of the needle scratch of them showing Gabby the tape and her Tv Drama 101 reaction to it, there wasn't a lot to really talk about in this ep.  It felt very 'take a pause' and have fun but not really progress anything.

• Love 2

I loved this episode.
I really enjoyed the silly moments contrasting with the lovely conversation Mike and his friends had about grief.  Mike wanting his super power to be the ability to stop time was moving.

• Love 9

Showing Gabby the video during the wedding was so inappropriate and unnecessary. Nick said when the time is right, and the drama for the cameras could've waited until the next day. This night was about celebrating Paula and Mike. 

• Love 13

I love this show but there wasn't a lot to talk about here.  

Mike's friends are awesome.

I'm glad they were able to get some time off from their gutter work to be there for Mike.  

I was amused at how annoyed Nick was being in front of the camera in his interview.  

• Love 4

Bad husband needs to go away. You don’t get to come back just bc you blew through all your money and found out that girls aren’t so interested in you when you aren’t paying them. You blew up your life. Now live with the consequences. Alone. 

agreed that showing gabby the video could have waited until at least the next day. But I don’t disagree with her when she said he put himself in that position. He chose to go out to a club. He could’ve come home and rested for the next day’s practice or gone home and called gabby or gone to gabby’s. He knows what his former reputation is and if he’s showing up in the same places, he should know people are going to expect that same version of him. You gotta change to show you’ve changed. On top of that, he still has options after it happened. He could have called gabby as soon as he was in the car and told her what happened. Instead he hid it. After saying “no more secrets”. 

Edited by HelloooKitty
  • Love 9

I loved Nick’s speech to Paige.  Mike’s friends are treasures, and that speech about grief should be required viewing.

I wish Paula’s dress had been a little bit more.

Interesting that Nick didn’t order the showing of Reggie’s video to Gabby.  The assistant seemed to think she was helping Gabby out.

Love that Alan got to dance.

• Love 3

This is by far my favorite thing on TV right now. Terrific writing, great pace, fantastic cast, and I love the big dance every episode. 

Mike and Paula just melt my heart.

All the friendships are the best. Monica should have been fired after she threw a chair at Justin, but I’m even starting to warm up to her!

• Love 7

Even though I find this cancer story to be way too depressing for this show, this was a nice episode. The wedding was really sweet, they did a good job balancing the fun wedding with the sadness of knowing why its happening. The talk about grief with Mike and his friends was really touching, as was the end where Mike said that he wished he could stop time. 

Showing Gabby the tape at the wedding was a terrible inappropriate thing to do. Even if they felt like they had to show her, they should have waited until the next day, this is supposed to be about Mike and Paula (the woman dying of cancer) not about another couples drama. Of course Gabby jumps to conclusions and gets all mad without bothering to really hear Reggie's side, because this is television and no one can just have a damn conversation to clear things up. 

• Love 3

I'm wondering how Nick will react when he finds out the assistant showed the tape to Gabby.  She took it upon herself to do it because "Gabby needs to know."  The fallout could be interesting between Nick and the assistant, but frankly I am not interested in the fallout between Gabby and Reggie.  Gabby was dumb not to talk to him, and Reggie was dumb not to tell her in the first place.

• Love 1

Omg, that was the sweetest episode!  Everything about it was perfection, including the ugly bridesmaid dresses that would actually have been attractive without the bows and little flowerettes all over.  Mike's friends are the best.  Nick as officiant was far more touching than I would have expected.  I absolutely felt all the feels during that wedding.

The only wrong note was having the assistant show that video to Gabby at the freaking wedding - why the hell couldn't she have waited until the next day?

Oh, and I totally would watch Married by Mike Tyson.

• Love 2

While I wasn't thrilled with the show taking the turn that it has with Paula's cancer returning and dim prognosis, I have to say that it has touched me so much to watch her and Mike together. Him breaking down with his friends after realizing he had lost his father a few years earlier gutted me. And yet, there was something so inspiring about how this couple and Paula, especially, are living. Every minute of every hour of every day they have left together. 

I also appreciated everyone doing their utmost to treat Paula like a normal bride - obliging the ugly bridesmaids' dresses and having a stripper at the bachelorette party. This has truly become an ensemble cast and I believe their caring for Paula and Mike.

Nick was the MVP, stepping up, despite his misgivings, to officiate the wedding as well as getting the city clerk to expedite the license and navigating a hormonal but still OTT ridiculous ex into doing the right thing and signing the divorce papers.

The dance party with Whitney's "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" was just a perfect cherry on the sundae that was this episode.

I already don't care for Monica's ex. I wanted Mike's ex, Paige, to put a sock in it. And hell no to Fro-Yo asshole Kevin. He just wants to use Paula's success and ride her coattails and all she has worked for for himself. Linus is by far the better choice or even Julia choosing to remain single for a while.

I think it was shitty for the video to be shown to Gabby, but agree with her and PP that he shouldn't have put himself in that position. If nothing else, he should have immediately told her as I'm a big believer that people who have nothing to hide, hide nothing. The stakes are bigger for Gabby because she has a child, a fact of which Reggie is very much aware. 

But all in all, my favorite episode thus far.

• Love 2

"You're not kidding, you don't dance" - Hahah!

Crappy to show the video to Gabby, though I have every expectation that she and Reggie will end up together in the end. Good for her for at least telling him she saw it and how she felt.

"Tie between Scarface and It's a Wonderful Life"

Tears and laughter with the wedding planning and the wedding.

• Love 3
On 11/16/2021 at 7:27 PM, Crs97 said:

I wish Paula’s dress had been a little bit more.

I agree. In fact I thought her dress was shapeless and unflattering. It looked like something somebody’s grandma got married in back in the ‘60s.

22 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I think it was shitty for the video to be shown to Gabby, but agree with her and PP that he shouldn't have put himself in that position. If nothing else, he should have immediately told her as I'm a big believer that people who have nothing to hide, hide nothing.

I don't agree that he shouldn't have put himself in that position.  He had every right to be out with other players.  And he'd actually left the club because he didn't feel comfortable there.  BUT he absolutely should have told Gabby about the kiss, precisely because he should've realized there'd be a good chance the show would've had someone recording his every move.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

BUT he absolutely should have told Gabby about the kiss, precisely because he should've realized there'd be a good chance the show would've had someone recording his every move.

I think he should have told her for honesty's sake, and not just because a camera might have caught it.  Either you are honest as you promised you would be, or you are not and can't be trusted not to hide things.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, izabella said:

I think he should have told her for honesty's sake, and not just because a camera might have caught it.  Either you are honest as you promised you would be, or you are not and can't be trusted not to hide things.

That's true, too.

• Love 1
On 11/19/2021 at 11:48 AM, CarpeFelis said:
On 11/16/2021 at 10:27 PM, Crs97 said:

I agree. In fact I thought her dress was shapeless and unflattering. It looked like something somebody’s grandma got married in back in the ‘60s.

I wonder if that wasn’t intentional since Paula mentioned having lost weight, so maybe she didn’t want it to be noticeable.