Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Big Dumb Life

• Start Topic

With the show down a few essential cast members, Wayne decides to hold an old-fashioned lockdown to bring everyone together; Justin reflects on his relationship with his dad; Reggie tries his best to navigate his new situation with a cocky rookie.

Original air date: November 8, 2021

Yay! It’s unlocked now! I wish we hadn’t gotten the tropes of Reggie not being honest moment one and Paula having certain doom by cancer. Other than that, I enjoyed the episode. 

I was glad Justin and his father’s relationship was fleshed out. I also thought Monica’s growth was earned. Glad Teri Polo said yes to the sound guy! I grinned like a loon through most of the episode and wiped some tears away during a couple of moments. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jeopardy15 said:

Also, I hate Scott Foley’s character. He is truly awful. He is going to use Paula’s fate and the Reggie-Gabby relationship for ratings. Ugh! 

Agreed, but maybe the show is setting him up for a redemption arc.  Fingers crossed!

I kind of liked it, but did not believe for one minute that Brittany has enough insight to become "fixed." Too fake. I think that Nick will grow a heart and will not use Paula's sickness for ratings. I also hate when they record some innocent moment - like Reggie telling that girl that he is seeing someone and are going to make it into something that it is not and go running to Gabby. I hope that Gabby goes right back to Reggie and gets the truth.

Also, I read that the show has not gotten an order for additional episodes at this time - so we will see the 11 that have been filmed. But, that doesn't mean it will be cancelled. That announcement will come in the Spring. The article said that no matter what, this was scheduled for a half-season show and just 11 episodes. I do hope it gets a full season pickup and renewal.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I was willing forgive the breast cancer storyline because I looked at it as a PSA.  However the dark turn of Paula’s prognosis has shaken me.  I feel like it has given the middle finger to us breast cancer survivors.  It’s bad enough we hold our collective breaths as we navigate our way from mammogram to mammogram without having to have the specter of the grim reaper thrown in our faces.  

• Love 1

I didn't get to watch this until today because Comcast decided to go down for 1 1/2 hours yesterday, but I finally did. Not liking the whole Paula-is-going-to-die or the Gabby-thinks-Reggie-kissed-someone-else plots, but Mike's frins friends are going to work for Justin's dad! Yay!

Edited by GaT
spelling, duh
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I was willing forgive the breast cancer storyline because I looked at it as a PSA.  However the dark turn of Paula’s prognosis has shaken me.  I feel like it has given the middle finger to us breast cancer survivors.  It’s bad enough we hold our collective breaths as we navigate our way from mammogram to mammogram without having to have the specter of the grim reaper thrown in our faces.  

I look at this storyline from a different perspective: a close friend of my best friend "survived" breast cancer, even went so far as to have a double mastectomy to try and ward off a reoccurrence in the other breast.  She seemed fine for a few years afterward.  Then she started having back pain, got treatment for the symptom but didn't actually get any diagnostic work done until the pain had made it impossible for her to work any longer.  Turns out the breast cancer had returned and metastasized to her bones.  It was very aggressive and multiple rounds of chemo only bought her about 6 months.

So I don't see Paula's story as a middle finger to anyone.  I see it as an accurate representation of what can happen to some women who've had breast cancer.  Not everyone's cancer experience has a happy ending.

6 hours ago, GaT said:

but Mike's frins are going to work for Justin's dad! Yay!

That was awesome, and good for Monica for thinking of it.

• Love 6

Paula's story has certainly taken a depressing turn, I was alright with her cancer coming back, these things do happen, but that she is definitely going to die just makes the whole thing so sad, its hard to see how the show can continue to be so much fun. They have dealt with serious issues, but watching a person die a lingering death via cancer is a pretty brutal for a dance show.

On a less tragic note, Monica coming up with Justin's dad hiring Mike's friends was a stroke of brilliance on her part, everyone wins! Plus the return of sexy sound guy.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 11
On 11/9/2021 at 11:23 AM, Retired at last said:

I kind of liked it, but did not believe for one minute that Brittany has enough insight to become "fixed." Too fake. I think that Nick will grow a heart and will not use Paula's sickness for ratings. I also hate when they record some innocent moment - like Reggie telling that girl that he is seeing someone and are going to make it into something that it is not and go running to Gabby. I hope that Gabby goes right back to Reggie and gets the truth.

I hope so, too.  I'm rooting for them to be one of the few tv couples that actually talks to each other instead of leaping to conclusions.  Gabby had the experience of the show producers running her over to keep Brittany for ratings, so I'm hoping she gets past her shock reaction quickly and remembers the producers are not her friends.

I have struggled from the start with Paula's cancer story line.  I was expecting a tv show about making a dance reality show to be fun, snarkworthy comedy, and I was so ready for something lighthearted.  So I wasn't expecting cancer.  In this setting, it was really jarring.  It's making the show emotionally difficult for me to watch.  Instead of looking forward to it, I am now wondering if I will keep watching. 

• Love 4

What was the story about Justin's Mom? Was the idea that she was gay? Not judging (believe me!) just trying to understand what they were trying to say.  Or just that she wasn't really in love with the dad?

IIRC, Justin’s mom left his dad for a woman and then passed away.  (Or did she pass away and then dad found out about an affair with her friend?  Now, I don’t remember.)

I really liked this episode.  Paula is breaking my heart, and Nick was wonderful to her.  Mike continues to be adorable; he will break my heart soon enough.  Of course the camera missed Reggie saying no and leaving separately; I hope that trope zags next episode to resolve quickly with no drama.

Edited by Crs97

Can I say how much I love young Justin’s older dancer dudes looking out for him … giving him his fair share of the money and making sure it is safely tucked in his sneaker.  Awww…

Yay The core de ballet crew got names:  Aja, Travell and Adon!  And I love how they call Rebecca ‘Prince Trash.”  LOL.  Their hate is so pure.  I know she apologizes to Gabby but I still don't trust her.  I could never fully trust someone who did that to me.  What is to stop her from turning on you again the next time her mother comes to town?

I think it is hysterical that according to the posters in Nick’s office, along with The Big Leap Fox has two other wildly absurd reality shows:  ‘The Great American Staring Contest’ and ‘What’s Under That Tarp?’  I wonder if these were just made up for this show or if these were actual pitches somebody made to Fox at one time?  LOL.

Hot Aussie sound guy is hot.  I liked him on Station 19 as Vic’s poor doomed fiancé.  

I wonder if the convo between Justin’s Dad and Monica talking about her knowing Idris Elba was a bit of a nudge-nudge wink-wink to the fact that he and Idris worked together on The Wire?

Awww… Mike’s friends getting work.  I love those guys.  Also, I really love Monica and Wayne.  They are great characters all around.

I hate Paula’s cancer storyline.  It just feels too sad and off brand for the tone of the show.  But I have to say this is the most I’ve enjoyed Piper Peribo in anything so at least the show broken my  indifference and ‘face blindness' streak with her.

Yeah, so no there for the misinterpreted Reggie revelation.  Once again Gabby is being set up to be humiliated publicly as emotional punching bag.  I hope the show subverts that trope.

• Love 2
On 11/16/2021 at 12:55 PM, DearEvette said:

I think it is hysterical that according to the posters in Nick’s office, along with The Big Leap Fox has two other wildly absurd reality shows:  ‘The Great American Staring Contest’ and ‘What’s Under That Tarp?’  I wonder if these were just made up for this show or if these were actual pitches somebody made to Fox at one time?  LOL.

I’m just now watching this and I was about to post about those posters!  If they were in any previous episodes I missed them. I wonder if there were more I didn’t catch.

Also happy to see Mike’s friends getting the gutter work!