Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E15: Memory Lane & a Dirty Little Secret

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Myrla could be a knockout if she cut and curled her hair, got rid of the eyelashes, and put some makeup on.  So would Brett.  They both need a makeover.

Those lashes do not do her eyes any favors, they look like dark little holes, maybe add some lashes on the sides, her just go straight out, add some lashes to the bottom too.

• Love 5
On 10/28/2021 at 5:14 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Why wouldn't Dr. Pepper suggest they go to a financial planner?  They have money goals, a planner would help them achieve their goals by budgeting so they can have a life while saving for the future, Myrla may not be able to shop as often but if she rethought about buying ugly, ill fitting, unflattering clothing and started to think about shopping for furniture and other household items she may get excited about saving for a house.  As far as Gil getting another job, what else is he qualified to do or have a degree in that would pay more? Can he make captain at his station?

A stripper? Jamie Os replacement? A modeling contract, though he is getting chubby. Going back to school for a different degree? A weed dealer? A teacher? A private workout instructor?  A Spanish tutor?

• LOL 6

Funny. Johnny doesn't want to end up alone like his dad, yet is doing everything to end up alone!! 🤔😅 How does he not see that?!?!! I think he's hopeless, especially if no one points that out to him.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Gator Stud said:

A stripper? Jamie Os replacement? A modeling contract, though he is getting chubby. Going back to school for a different degree? A weed dealer? A teacher? A private workout instructor?  A Spanish tutor?

You might be on to something, lol.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I still think she buys from Poshmark! 😉

I don't recall anything about a wedding dress for sale. 🤔

I don't care what Ryan said on their wedding night---I said to myself when Brett emerged with her just-scrubbed face, "You in trouble, girrrrl!"

I’ll never forget my wedding night.  We drove to the Poconos and stopped in a motel.  I took a bubble bath, took down a million Bobbi pins in my hair, put on the white silk negligee with see thru overlay, white silk slippers with heels, and posed in the doorway like a movie star .. then tripped onto the floor.  The husband was hysterical laughing.  Those were the days.  Today they wear t-shirts and shorts.  He said “you tried”.  Lol.  We wore baby dolls in all colors.  This was when Broadway was a Prarie, btw.  He still talks about it.  Oh, and I swigged about half a bottle of vodka while he was in the shower, hahaha.  I was 22 ..what the hell did I know?

Edited by kristen111
  • LOL 10
  • Love 4

Johnny is the KING of spin. He's playing the game just right in the TH. He always makes it sound like he's reconsidering what he's doing with Bao & he'll actually try & then pulls the same BS in the next scene. I can't stand him! He's up there with the Michaela crazy, saying Bao does what he does. He's the one breaking her down! The nerve! & her alleged "best friend" sounds like the type of ho to sleep with her friend's man. That was some BS!

• Love 10

José obviously didn't care where his wife went when he yelled & cursed at her to get out. She should've said that when they met up the next day & locked him into that so he couldn't say it was a problem. Plus. She wouldn't have gone had he not locked her out. She shouldn't have gone there though. It's hard to believe she didn't do it to be vindictive. 😅

• Love 3

Myrla failed DOUBLY! She didn't show ANY empathy verbally or physically. It's terrible. Gil did say it without emotion though, but still she could've at least SAID something empathetic. DAMN! It's just like on the honeymoon all over again. They're both still emotionless. They need to work on that. Just listening doesn't encourage more sharing! 😅

• Love 3

WTF Zack?!! You call a "closure meeting" & then say you want to talk to see if you can fix things?!!! HUHHH?!! That's too confusing. Really weird seeing the switch from how he was days before. From being done to desperate to talk to her. Ew. He's undesirable because of his behavior too! He's being a Chris like that. They won't get anywhere when she can't even admit fault. They both need to let go & move on. He should especially get out while she's being calm & supposedly accepting it's over. 😅

• Love 2

It was dumb of Bao to tell Johnny the ball's in his court, giving him the power when he effed up! NO! The same shit AS USUAL!! She should've said she needs time to think about things and if she wants to be with a cruel, disrespectful man. What happened to the Bao talking to the other wives on the retreat? The one that said she didn't get married to be disrespected by a man not worth her time? HUH?? All talk! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Johnny is obviously not sexually attracted to Bao. He wasn't years ago in college and isn't now. But, he's married to her and thinks he should make it work so he doesn't become his father.

Instead of just being honest with himself, he places all the blame on Bao. I know this isn't exactly a newsflash to anyone. It's just so exhausting watching him sometimes. 

• Love 7

Oh Ryan. A player, just like Johnny. Saying the right things in his TH. He feels good about things. Riiiight. The profile's not active? So he paused it before he walked into her home? 😅 He matched with her friend!!! I'm glad Brett confronted it head on, IMMEDIATELY, & didn't keep it to herself & continue with the activity. That was some disrespectful BS & he was just gunna continue & act like they're working things out?? TF?!! He wanted her to find out so she could end things so idk why he's trying to act like what he did wasn't effed up. Idk how he gets any matches. He's ugly AND boring!!! 😅😂

• Love 7
On 10/27/2021 at 11:06 PM, For Cereals said:

With the preview, I’m lost with Zach and Michaela.  More like done.

I’m tired of hearing about Myrla’s spending.  She has the coin and the bank statements. Myrla wants the house and her lashes and shoes, so it may take more time.  Gil, get another job if it bothers you so much.

Johnny can fuck all the way off.  Why is he talking off camera to Bao’s friend and not going back to Bao.  Let’s visit some of Johnny’s friends, exes, and coworkers.  He’s looking for any excuse. 

Ryan ugh.  One week!  Who cares if you didn’t talk to anyone.  Downloading was enough. Was he planning on banking a bunch of matches to hit up the next week to go back to his serial dating?

Exactly. 100%. Johnny would drain the life out of me. Nothing pleases that guy. 

• Love 4

I still think she buys from Poshmark! 😉

I don't recall anything about a wedding dress for sale. 🤔

Nothing wrong with that. The few designer items I have were all purchased from consignment shops. 

I can't remember which thread discussed Myrla's wedding dress and her re-selling it - probably one of the early episode threads around wedding time... But it was a very expensive designer gown and she was re-selling it.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I had a boyfriend who got married while I was dating him, not even kidding...it felt like a punch to the stomach. 

I had an aerobics instructor who was insanely good at telling stories while leading the class.  Never missed a cue.  Seriously, it was amazing, and we knew all kinds of stuff about her life.

One of the stories she told, which I've never forgotten in the intervening decades, is that she'd been seriously dating this guy for a while, and decided to cook dinner for him.  She invited him, and he replied, "What's your address"? 

To her credit, her reaction was, "I think I need therapy."

15 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I can honestly say it's impossible to tell the authentic from the faux so the benefit of going to the actual prestige store to drop big $$$$ on the authentic article seems less than wise financially.   

I agree, if it's bought solely as an investment.  But there's obviously a lot more going on when women are paying big money for designer goods.

I think I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum.  I always liked the idea of buying a four-door Maserati, just because nobody would realize at first glance that it's a super expensive car.  Or I wouldn't anyway--it looks like any other 4-door sedan to me.  It would be my little secret.

It was moot, for financial reasons.  And I never liked the badge--that trident looks cheesy.  Then I found out one of the Real Housewives had a 4-door Maserati, and one of the Teen Moms had a 4-door Maserati, and you know they didn't buy them so they could have the little secret that their normal-looking whip cost a ton of money.

It's all for the good.  I wouldn't want to hurt my 1998 Subaru wagon's feelings.  It already has a complex not being an Outback.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Lindz said:

Panic attack? SAY WHAT?!! What she did to the furniture & gaming tables definitely was NOT a panic attack. Does she have to play the victim with EVERYTHING?!!! 😅😂

How come the experts don’t mention the videos of her having a meltdown?  Or the production people taking the videos?  Nobody says anything?  They just let her roll and make havoc?  Plus, how does Zack even sleep with a maniac?  Is he that hard up?  He’s just as stupid.  I wouldn’t even trust her with utensils.  She’s just woe is me like she does nothing wrong.

• Love 5

They shouldn't pick people who aren't commitment types like Mr. 100 first dates or Mr. Potato head! That's a huge barrier to success & guarantees a failure. How would they expect people always searching for perfect to actually commit because of a piece of paper?? Commitment is not in their nature, paper makes no difference. POS Ryan couldn't even wait til Decision Day til he was back out looking. I hope him & Johnny enjoy their lifetime of loneliness.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Lindz said:

Johnny is the KING of spin. He's playing the game just right in the TH. He always makes it sound like he's reconsidering what he's doing with Bao & he'll actually try & then pulls the same BS in the next scene. I can't stand him! He's up there with the Michaela crazy, saying Bao does what he does. He's the one breaking her down! The nerve! & her alleged "best friend" sounds like the type of ho to sleep with her friend's man. That was some BS!

12 minutes ago, Lindz said:

They shouldn't pick people who aren't commitment types like Mr. 100 first dates or Mr. Potato head! That's a huge barrier to success & guarantees a failure. How would they expect people always searching for perfect to actually commit because of a piece of paper?? Commitment is not in their nature, paper makes no difference. POS Ryan couldn't even wait til Decision Day til he was back out looking. I hope him & Johnny enjoy their lifetime of loneliness.

So, let me see.  They pick Johnny who is a baby, Bao who is weird, Ryan who has zero personality and is a stone face, Brett with clown hair, Myrla who overspends, Gil who’s a know it all braggart, Michaela who’s a psycho, Zack who’s a cryer and an asshole, Jose who is cheap and abusive,and the Slow Talker.  Plus, three useless therapists. What chance is this for a good marriage?  Who are the fools here?  Oh, and a commentator who thinks she has beautiful legs.

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Lindz said:

Myrla failed DOUBLY! She didn't show ANY empathy verbally or physically. It's terrible. Gil did say it without emotion though, but still she could've at least SAID something empathetic. DAMN! It's just like on the honeymoon all over again. They're both still emotionless. They need to work on that. Just listening doesn't encourage more sharing! 😅

When does she ever say anything?  She is not the kissy feely type.  Zero emotion.  Unless she’s different in the sack.  She’s an enigma, and it looks like he finds her intriguing.  Women are probably all over him, but she’s a challenge.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

So, let me see.  They pick Johnny who is a baby, Bao who is weird, Ryan who has zero personality and is a stone face, Brett with clown hair, Myrla who overspends, Gil who’s a know it all braggart, Michaela who’s a psycho, Zack who’s a cryer and an asshole, Jose who is cheap and abusive,and the Slow Talker.  Plus, three useless therapists. What chance is this for a good marriage?  Who are the fools here?  Oh, and a commentator who thinks she has beautiful legs.

You nailed everything here!  No need for further comments!  😅

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I can't remember which thread discussed Myrla's wedding dress and her re-selling it - probably one of the early episode threads around wedding time... But it was a very expensive designer gown and she was re-selling it.

It was in the Spoilers and Speculation Thread.  She listed the original price at $9,100 but is selling it for $6,440 on a site called "stillwhite.com".

I've been saying since day 1 that Myrla has to be buying and selling on reseller sites like Poshmark because a lot of women into designer names do that, but now everyone's seeing it.

• Love 3
On 10/29/2021 at 10:49 AM, sarkygal said:

Moving on to other posts on the thread, I’m baffled by the degree of anti-Myrla sentiment. Not only is Gil constantly negging and talking down to her, he’s a mid-30’s man who has no real savings, plan to earn more, but wants a house and multiple kids. Which his significantly higher earning wife is supposed to scrimp, sacrifice & save for. In the convo with Dr Pepper, no one asked Gil what he was bringing to their future as a couple. But we’re supposed to think he’s the prize because he’s conventionally attractive and insults his wife with a smile on his face. No thanks. 

Myrla, both in the show and Unfiltered has politely mentioned the earnings and financial goal disparity without putting Gil down or insulting his lack of earnings. As noble as it might be to support his family in Colombia, he’s still expecting an American wife to bear his multiple children and cut back her solely maintained lifestyle to subsidize his future. Again, no thanks. 

This is not directed at anyone in particular, just wanted to offer a different perspective.

I know count me in, I've been defending her since like episode 2.  And that was before I even knew she was financially responsible.  I could just tell she wasn't wasting her money.  You put it so well about how he expects his wife to bear his multiple children and cut back while he supports his family.  I've also said pretty much exactly that all along.  While noble, he has high expectations of her but isn't showing himself to be stepping up to support a big family while his wife cuts back on spending and dedicates herself solely to home and family.  Even my husband has been in the act about it.  He wants to know why Gil isn't offering to get a better job to finance all of this, plus help Myrla still have what she wants.  And to her credit she is not telling him he needs to get a better job.  She is just letting him be him, while expecting him to let her be her.  And I don't see what's wrong with that. 

If they did decide to have a family I'm sure she'd be ready at that point to discuss some changes to her spending.  She's not going to need Louboutin's when she's taking care of small children.  I see some of those items as "statement pieces" that she probably only wears on special occasions or work functions.  She may still buy a pair here and there but I really doubt that she's going to keep up the exact same lifestyle if her lifestyle changes after having children.  And I know I've said this before too.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I see some of those items as "statement pieces" that she probably only wears on special occasions or work functions.  She may still buy a pair here and there but I really doubt that she's going to keep up the exact same lifestyle if her lifestyle changes after having children.  And I know I've said this before too.

On that note, just an opinion....there is no conceivable way in the universe that Gil and Myrla could even contemplate getting along on Gil's meager salary in the event Myrla's income disappeared due to childcare considerations. 

From what I understand, Gil's salary alone is insufficient to fund Walmart shopping, no less status, luxury items that alone cost more than he probably makes in a month! 

That, coupled with his commitment (apparently common in his culture) to financially support his mother should be taken into serious consideration by Myrla when deciding whether or not to remain married to him. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Lindz said:

Funny. Johnny doesn't want to end up alone like his dad, yet is doing everything to end up alone!! 🤔😅 How does he not see that?!?!! I think he's hopeless, especially if no one points that out to him.

Johnny’s problem is that he thinks he is being eminently reasonable and accommodating, when he is, in fact, being irrational and self-centered. 

I will say Johnny, in hugging Bao, did a decent job of simulating human sympathy. Almost Ted Bundy level! 

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Johnny’s problem is that he thinks he is being eminently reasonable and accommodating, when he is, in fact, being irrational and self-centered. 

I will say Johnny, in hugging Bao, did a decent job of simulating human sympathy. Almost Ted Bundy level! 

There are so many people that are book/work genius, but common sense stupid.  He’s one of them.  He doesn’t know who he is, what he wants.  Totally oblivious to everything, but himself.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Lindz said:

WTF Zack?!! You call a "closure meeting" & then say you want to talk to see if you can fix things?!!! HUHHH?!! That's too confusing. Really weird seeing the switch from how he was days before. From being done to desperate to talk to her. Ew. He's undesirable because of his behavior too! He's being a Chris like that. They won't get anywhere when she can't even admit fault. They both need to let go & move on. He should especially get out while she's being calm & supposedly accepting it's over. 😅

They all want the check for the whole season.  The pay must be worth the humiliation.  Maybe some think they will be discovered, haha.  Yeah.

• Love 4
On 10/28/2021 at 11:16 PM, kristen111 said:

Maybe Gil saw lots of inappropriate dealings his Father did that led to murder, then to go on the straight and narrow in his own life to succeed in life.  I could see that if it was true.  He probably decided to study and do something meaningful like Firefighting.  He does seem to preach a lot to Myrla, but maybe feels she needs to change her habits to make things better for the future.  It’s not fun to be poor, so he wants to prevent that by saving for a rainy day.  Plus buying a house seems to be important to him as it’s an investment.  She did say tho, that she spends but saves too.  Apparently, she’s not worried about the future like he is.  They have to sit down and make a plan together.  They seem to be in love.  Wonder if they had sex????  I think she caved.

On 10/28/2021 at 11:21 PM, Jeanne222 said:

I’m still wondering about Gil’s overseas money!

How much?  Who’s name is it in?  Why there and not here?

Seems I heard M remark that it wasn’t much savings compared to her savings.  So there’s that!

On 10/28/2021 at 11:32 PM, Elizzikra said:

It's not a waste if she can afford it and enjoys it. So often we moralize about spending money. If Myrla has the money and likes the things she buys, then why not? She works hard. She likes luxury items. It's not even a bad thing if she decides she wants to continue to purchase those items instead of buying a house or having children. It's her money - if she comes by it legally and spends it legally, she is the only one who can decide if it's a "waste" or not.

I'm not convinced she really wants Gil but if she does, I do think that she will have to rein in her spending if they choose to have kids because he won't be able to support them in the way that Myrla wants to live on her salary plus his salary. So perhaps then she will decide to curb the shopping in favor of spending on children or home ownership. Gil wants both those things so if Myrla can't reconcile her spending with those two goals. they aren't well matched and shouldn't stay together.

2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I know count me in, I've been defending her since like episode 2.  And that was before I even knew she was financially responsible.  I could just tell she wasn't wasting her money.  You put it so well about how he expects his wife to bear his multiple children and cut back while he supports his family.  I've also said pretty much exactly that all along.  While noble, he has high expectations of her but isn't showing himself to be stepping up to support a big family while his wife cuts back on spending and dedicates herself solely to home and family.  Even my husband has been in the act about it.  He wants to know why Gil isn't offering to get a better job to finance all of this, plus help Myrla still have what she wants.  And to her credit she is not telling him he needs to get a better job.  She is just letting him be him, while expecting him to let her be her.  And I don't see what's wrong with that. 

If they did decide to have a family I'm sure she'd be ready at that point to discuss some changes to her spending.  She's not going to need Louboutin's when she's taking care of small children.  I see some of those items as "statement pieces" that she probably only wears on special occasions or work functions.  She may still buy a pair here and there but I really doubt that she's going to keep up the exact same lifestyle if her lifestyle changes after having children.  And I know I've said this before too.

I don't understand why the person who has hefty savings is getting lectured in finance by the person who has very little.

Gil said that he put all his money in a bank account in Colombia for his mother. Has he shown proof of this bank account or how much it contains?

I think Myrla is clever with her money. I am a hetero woman and I would not mind being with a guy who thought like Myrla rather than Gil.

I actually think that finances are not the reason they will break up.

Gil will want people around him all the time.  When he buys a house, he will want his house to be the hang-out spot for all his family and friends. This will probably wear on Myrla after a while. I just do not think they are compatible in the way they interact socially.

Johnny hates Bao and he always will blame her for not being what he wants.

I think he was horribly disappointed that the show set him up with a woman that he has already rejected.

I noticed that Johnny has kept up with Sarah all these years after college but he did not care to ever check up with Bao, even though they live in the same city.

I think Bao thought of Johnny as the one who got away and he thinks of her as the one he never wanted in the first place.

Johnny is terrible but the show should have never set them up (assuming the show knew of their past history...which I am not sure if they did).

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I don't understand why the person who has hefty savings is getting lectured in finance by the person who has very little.

Gil said that he put all his money in a bank account in Colombia for his mother. Has he shown proof of this bank account or how much it contains?

I think Myrla is clever with her money. I am a hetero woman and I would not mind being with a guy who thought like Myrla rather than Gil.

Gil will want people around him all the time.  When he buys a house, he will want his house to be the hang-out spot for all his family and friends. This will probably wear on Myrla after a while. I just do not think they are compatible in the way they interact socially.

Johnny hates Bao and he always will blame her for not being what he wants.

I think he was horribly disappointed that the show set him up with a woman that he has already rejected.

I noticed that Johnny has kept up with Sarah all these years after college but he did not care to ever check up with Bao, even though they live in the same city.

I think Bao thought of Johnny as the one who got away and he thinks of her as the one he never wanted in the first place.

Johnny is terrible but the show should have never set them up (assuming the show knew of their past history...which I am not sure if they did).

I think you are right on all counts.

• Love 5

Eh .. why can’t we have a real show about matchmaking and possibly falling in love?  Why does it always have to be about drama?  Didn’t the show learn after a few seasons ago?  We have drama in real life.  It would be nice to see couples getting along, have beautiful honeymoons in beautiful places, and all the rest.  Or am I living in a dream world.  I’d like to see porn food, restaurants, activities, different towns like the West, two step dancing, Cowboys, Miami, N.Y. City, etc.  The weddings are the only nice things they show.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

It was in the Spoilers and Speculation Thread.  She listed the original price at $9,100 but is selling it for $6,440 on a site called "stillwhite.com".

I've been saying since day 1 that Myrla has to be buying and selling on reseller sites like Poshmark because a lot of women into designer names do that, but now everyone's seeing it.

So, the wedding dress bit is a Spoiler then??? That's just peachy. 😠

FTR, I like Poshmark. My good friend  sells on it. I mentioned it only because  Myrla is no dummy with her money, and it's a perfect way for her to buy luxury items. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, pdlinda said:

On that note, just an opinion....there is no conceivable way in the universe that Gil and Myrla could even contemplate getting along on Gil's meager salary in the event Myrla's income disappeared due to childcare considerations. 

Surely Myrla already has a plan to reduce spending on bags and shoes so that she can pay for the mommy makeover and the nanny. 

Gil will likely increase his income substantially post MAFS an be able to support a large family if that's what he wants. But, based on where he is right now, MAFS might have done better to partner Gil with a 27 year old teacher or nurse who might still out-earn him but doesn't like to spend her disposable income on sporting events, vacations, or handbags. 

Gil mentioned that his longest two relationships lasted about a year each. Myrla might benefit from divorcing Gil, dating him for 9-12 months, and then deciding if they should build a future together. 

• Love 2
On 10/28/2021 at 11:16 AM, Rebky said:

I can't wrap my mind around people like Myrna, who think they automatically "deserve" things. Do people who were unfortunate enough to be born in third world countries deserve what they get? I had a shitty childhood too, but I always was  grateful I was born where I was, and used that as an incentive to do better.  Unlike Myrna, I never thought I deserved shopping sprees and high class everything  because of my childhood and because I worked hard.

I'm not sure I agree that your definition of "deserve" is the same as Myrla's. I hear you saying that no one is inherently a more worthy human deserving of more than anyone else necessarily, hard work or not. I'm hearing Myrla get across that she works hard and therefore feels perfectly OK spending her money on things of her choosing. I don't think there's anything wrong with either position; and one does not negate the other.

• Love 4
On 10/28/2021 at 9:21 PM, Jeanne222 said:

I’m still wondering about Gil’s overseas money!

How much?  Who’s name is it in?  Why there and not here?

Seems I heard M remark that it wasn’t much savings compared to her savings.  So there’s that!

Dollars to doughnuts Gil's overseas money is in an account that his mother draws from/on. If that's true, it's not really savings, it's a support account for his mom. As someone who grew up in Latin culture, Myrla would understand this arrangement on a basic level; but as time goes on, she should know whether Gil's siblings (if any) also contribute to this or is he the only one...and if he's the only one, why, and does he foresee that ever changing, especially if he and Myrla have children? A potentially touchy subject, but one that should not be a sacred cow and one that should be thoroughly discussed, especially if Gil is haranguing Myrla about her spending habits with her own hard-earned money.

• Love 12
On 10/28/2021 at 11:32 PM, Meowwww said:

I think it’s not savings, per se.  I think his account there is solely to send money to his family and is emptied immediately after he sends money there.  
Im not hating.  I just think he’s supporting family there. 

Well, how is he supposed to have money for himself and for a future family?  That’s like in 90 Day Fiance.  This married guy from Samoa has to send money to support his Mother,and he has a wife and two kids.  Myrla better think this thing through.  I’m sure the experts knew this situation, and went ahead anyway.  This is entirely a new ball of wax.  Myrla has been poor herself and doesn’t want to go through that again.  It doesn’t seem fair for her to scrimp because he has an obligation to support family, unless he gets another extra job besides the Fire Dept.  Then, there will be trouble in his house with Myrla, as he will always be working.  I blame these experts for putting her in this situation.  And he has the nerve to be cockey with her.  Now I’m mad.  This is similar to a single girl marrying a divorced guy who supports three children.  You either accept it or not.  She better love him a lot to contend with this.  If she stays with him.  Stupid show.

• Love 3

But there's obviously a lot more going on when women are paying big money for designer goods.

Why? Some people just like certain things and can afford to buy them so they do. I like designer bags. I like the leather (usually they are leather); I like the workmanship; I like the designs. I wouldn't buy a bag I hated just because it was a designer bag and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bag I loved just because it wasn't a designer label. That's really all that's going on there.

Well, how is he supposed to have money for himself and for a future family?  

Money goes a lot further in some countries than it does in the U.S. Gil could be providing some support for his mother and still saving for his own future. It doesn't have to be either/or.

So, the wedding dress bit is a Spoiler then??? That's just peachy. 😠

Why? She's selling the dress but that doesn't mean she and Gil split (I'm not spoiled so I don't know what they did on Decision Day). Plenty of brides buy expensive dresses planning to sell them and recoup some of their money... and they have every intention of staying together. 

I'm not sure I agree that your definition of "deserve" is the same as Myrla's. I hear you saying that no one is inherently a more worthy human deserving of more than anyone else necessarily, hard work or not. I'm hearing Myrla get across that she works hard and therefore feels perfectly OK spending her money on things of her choosing. I don't think there's anything wrong with either position; and one does not negate the other.

I agree with your take. I think that Myrla does work hard and she manages her money. She likes high-end clothing and accessories and she can afford them so she buys them and feels no shame about enjoying them (nor should she). I don't think she thinks that poor people don't deserve nice things and I doubt she would say that lazy rich people don't deserve them either. I think she likes to treat herself and there's nothing wrong with that.

• Love 2
On 10/28/2021 at 11:41 PM, Jeanne222 said:

She’s definitely going to say no!

She should say no.  He’ll need two jobs and will never be home.  She also could try things out for awhile, then get the divorce.  It’s only been eight weeks, so she could get over him.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

She should say no.  He’ll need two jobs and will never be home.  She also could try things out for awhile, then get the divorce.  It’s only been eight weeks, so she could get over him.

I think he does have two jobs. He’s a fireman and also a trainer.   The fire department job is fairly new!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Wondering why he had to be matched.  For exposure?

I would say a significant physical change has overtaken Gil!!  Whether I would characterize it as positive or negative will take some thought.  He must have been in some body-building competitions; however, those types of pursuits (like women doing pageants) are very expensive and I'm not sure he won any championships with cash prizes? 

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I am can comment on why Gil presumably left body building competitions to join the Fire Department.  

I wonder if Myrla has seen these "vanity photos?" 😉

• Love 1
2 hours ago, thatsall said:

I'm not sure I agree that your definition of "deserve" is the same as Myrla's. 

Agreed. Myrla volunteers, coaches educators who work in schools with underserved students, and during the political discussion where Gil talked about voting for candidates and policies that served his financial interests she said it was more important to vote for candidates and policies that (she believes) serve the larger community.

15 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Wondering why he had to be matched.  For exposure?

On an earlier episode of Unfiltered, Myrla said she was recruited.  Perhaps MAFS recruited both of them for anticipated drama. Maybe they both accepted for exposure. Then they connected, chose to love, and became the saving grace of MAFS season whatever this is. 

Or is the question why a marriage-minded, attractive, all around awesome thirty-five year old man needed to go on MAFS to find a woman to raise and financially support his eight children? While it's easy to see why he would criticize Myrla and want her to change, maybe Gil's behavior toward Myrla is not specific to this relationship and at some point between day 1 and day 365 either Gil or the woman who was lined up to date him decides that it's better to move on.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

Why? Some people just like certain things and can afford to buy them so they do. I like designer bags. I like the leather (usually they are leather); I like the workmanship; I like the designs. I wouldn't buy a bag I hated just because it was a designer bag and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bag I loved just because it wasn't a designer label. That's really all that's going on there.

Money goes a lot further in some countries than it does in the U.S. Gil could be providing some support for his mother and still saving for his own future. It doesn't have to be either/or.

Why? She's selling the dress but that doesn't mean she and Gil split (I'm not spoiled so I don't know what they did on Decision Day). Plenty of brides buy expensive dresses planning to sell them and recoup some of their money... and they have every intention of staying together. 

I agree with your take. I think that Myrla does work hard and she manages her money. She likes high-end clothing and accessories and she can afford them so she buys them and feels no shame about enjoying them (nor should she). I don't think she thinks that poor people don't deserve nice things and I doubt she would say that lazy rich people don't deserve them either. I think she likes to treat herself and there's nothing wrong with that.

It was in the Spoiler Thread. 

It's worse that Johnny comforted Bao. Makes him look like good guy when he's really trash. I wish he was just a complete jerk, so he's totally clear. We already know Bao gets confused, like when he hugged her at the volleyball game. Who's not genuine? 😅😂

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

So, the wedding dress bit is a Spoiler then??? That's just peachy. 😠

I don't see it as a spoiler or any indication that they split either.  Myrla is a very pragmatic person and could have calculated selling it from the start.  This is how she affords her designer clothes.  She gets to have them, but she finances new ones by selling the old ones online.  It could be one way she has justified her spending to Gil in that it's not as much as it looks like it is.  And doing this helps her to keep the budget way down.

Hey, once upon a time my husband used to buy old classic cars, fix them up and sell them for a profit.  He got to tinker with them and drive them for a while and then sell them to justify the expense.  It was a win-win hobby.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, pdlinda said:

True but I don't think Myrla would ever let it come to that.  I don't think she should have to decide between career and family or be pressured into giving up her job in order to have one.  That's so 50 years ago already.  Hasn't she proposed a nanny?  Nothing wrong with that if her salary can justify it.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, qtpye said:

I agree with you about Gil and Myrla.  Gil thinks like a poor person that has to watch every penny.  Myrla thinks like a successful person that wisely budgets her money.  I would much rather be around her than him.  Gil could stand to learn a thing or two about finances from her.  Forget José teaching Rachel about finances, Myrla is the one that has her act together in that regard.  She has found a way to save AND spend and not be the worse off for it, in fact she is still saving.  So good on her for that.

I also agree that one of their big mismatches is that she is an introvert's introvert and he's a big extrovert.  Plus he's the type of extrovert to try to make her feel guilty for not being sociable all the time.  There is nothing wrong with either of them, they are just very different.  And as an introvert it does bug me that Gil acts like his way is "normal" and that she's just antisocial.  You might be right that this may be the thing that does them in.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

So, the wedding dress bit is a Spoiler then??? That's just peachy. 😠

It's what someone else considered a spoiler.  I however do not.  See my post above.  Also, FWIW, I was not the first person to mention the wedding dress in this thread.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:
16 hours ago, pdlinda said:

True but I don't think Myrla would ever let it come to that.  I don't think she should have to decide between career and family or be pressured into giving up her job in order to have one.  That's so 50 years ago already.  Hasn't she proposed a nanny?  Nothing wrong with that if her salary can justify it.

It's the nanny costs that could make her income disappear, not quitting her job.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 5