Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Mercy - General Discussion

bilgistic
  • Start Topic

For Dr. Mercy Odueyungbo, dermatology isn't just skin deep. In her Chicago practice, she specializes in treating the most unusual, extreme and rare skin disorders, while also helping patients regain a sense of confidence and self-worth.

Thanks for making this.  
I like Dr. Mercy, and there seem to be more than enough people with these skin conditions to need more than one doctor.
All I knew of PCOS was that My Big Fat Whitney THore has it, but don't remember her having hair problems.

1 hour ago, auntjess said:

Thanks for making this.  
I like Dr. Mercy, and there seem to be more than enough people with these skin conditions to need more than one doctor.
All I knew of PCOS was that My Big Fat Whitney THore has it, but don't remember her having hair problems.

Whit has complained of excessive body hair.  Maybe, she’s gotten some treatment for it.

Ref. the severe acne type sores that drain….Dr. Mercy said they are infection of hair follicle.  So why can’t they kill the hair follicle with electrolysis? Those sees look so painful.  It’s heartbreaking.  

• Love 5

I'm surprised that Dr. Mercy and her assistants wear very little protective equipment.   The assistants always have their hair hanging down.     But when the boils on that poor girl's butt was squirting they were quick to put the goggles on.   I felt sorry for her.  

• Love 6
12 hours ago, MissT said:

I'm surprised that Dr. Mercy and her assistants wear very little protective equipment.   The assistants always have their hair hanging down.     But when the boils on that poor girl's butt was squirting they were quick to put the goggles on.   I felt sorry for her.  

I can't even begin to imagine the pain. 

The girl with the excessive sweating was a real stunning looking young woman. 

Also, I didn't realize Dr. Mercy is in Chicago! When I googled her, it shows that office closed and that she is now in Lombard, Illinois. I should look her up! 

• Love 3

My daughter has PCOS that developed after the birth of her child (now 17). She had some random hair issues mostly on her upper lip, but that may also be genetic as her dad was on the hairy side. She dealt with all of it by laser...

Last night's guy with all of his bumps was stupefying! I have a serious background in medicine...this is first diagnosis I've never heard of. I get the use of chemo since it's systemic. I hope he gets desired results.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, CrazyMoon said:

My daughter has PCOS that developed after the birth of her child (now 17). She had some random hair issues mostly on her upper lip, but that may also be genetic as her dad was on the hairy side. She dealt with all of it by laser...

Last night's guy with all of his bumps was stupefying! I have a serious background in medicine...this is first diagnosis I've never heard of. I get the use of chemo since it's systemic. I hope he gets desired results.

And it happened so fast.... in the last 4 years. I felt really bad for him. He looked like he had been quite a nice looking man and seemed to be very kind. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Whit has complained of excessive body hair.  Maybe, she’s gotten some treatment for it.

Ref. the severe acne type sores that drain….Dr. Mercy said they are infection of hair follicle.  So why can’t they kill the hair follicle with electrolysis? Those sees look so painful.  It’s heartbreaking.  

Whitney also wears hair extensions because PCOS can cause head hair thinning.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I have watched all the episodes of this show and I want to like it more than I do. For all of Dr. Sandra Lee's annoying tics (telling patients "I adore you," e.g.), this show brings home to me how much more telegenic Dr. Lee is. Maybe Dr. Mercy will get better but there's just something about her or the structure of this show or something that isn't quite landing for me.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I have watched all the episodes of this show and I want to like it more than I do. For all of Dr. Sandra Lee's annoying tics (telling patients "I adore you," e.g.), this show brings home to me how much more telegenic Dr. Lee is. Maybe Dr. Mercy will get better but there's just something about her or the structure of this show or something that isn't quite landing for me.

Agreed.  I'm also not ready to give up because these cases just fascinate me, however it's not quite clicking yet.  Maybe it's way too much backstory and too little interaction with the patients, so they don't get a good rapport going?

Something that bothered me about the hidradenitis suppurativa case is that everyone was talking about how she was no longer in pain, and everything was rosy.  But, but, the lidocaine hadn't worn off yet, had it?  Unless the procedure took significantly longer than about an hour, it would still have some effect, right?  Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, cynicat said:

Something that bothered me about the hidradenitis suppurativa case is that everyone was talking about how she was no longer in pain, and everything was rosy.  But, but, the lidocaine hadn't worn off yet, had it?  Unless the procedure took significantly longer than about an hour, it would still have some effect, right?  Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

She had ~200 injections, which will cause swelling & bruising and that will probably ache for a while after the lidocaine wears off, especially when walking on her feet. And Botox only works for ~6 months, so she'll need to do this twice a year - forever unless someone invents a way to kill off sweat glands.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, cynicat said:

Agreed.  I'm also not ready to give up because these cases just fascinate me, however it's not quite clicking yet.  Maybe it's way too much backstory and too little interaction with the patients, so they don't get a good rapport going?

Dr. Mercy seems a little stilted on camera. Was she on YouTube before the show like Dr. Lee? If not, it might just be that she needs more camera practice and will grow into the role.

• Love 6

I would say Dr. Mercy seems a little reserved, even when she tries not to be. I agree there’s not the chemistry that we see on Pimple Popper, the British skin doctor show or the foot doctor show.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, deirdra said:

She had ~200 injections, which will cause swelling & bruising and that will probably ache for a while after the lidocaine wears off, especially when walking on her feet. And Botox only works for ~6 months, so she'll need to do this twice a year - forever unless someone invents a way to kill off sweat glands.  

Are you thinking of the hyperhidrosis case--the woman who sweats?  I was talking about the woman with the boils.  

On 10/8/2021 at 3:09 PM, deirdra said:

I can’t watch these shows because I’m extremely squeamish but I did see the promo for this girl. I can very much relate as I had that condition as a kid (not as bad now that I’m in my 60’s). My hands sweat so badly that when my phys Ed rotated to gymnastics I had to get a doctor’s note to excuse me.  No amount of rosin would have prevented those sweaty hands from slipping off of the equipment!  Back then there were no real treatments for hyperhydrosis and my doctor said it’s not healthy to stop you from sweating.  And if you block off certain sweat glands you’ll just start sweating elsewhere to compensate. 

• Useful 2

Dr. Mercy did a good job with the nose of the guy who had some kind of rosacea-related growth.

I was rolling my eyes at the gigantically overweight woman who got 2 relatively small lumps removed from her knee; glad she feels better, and maybe weight loss wouldn't make a huge difference to the lumps, but just hauling those enormous 'butt wings' around must be exhausting. She was pretty and dressed nicely for her size, but her daughter looked like a clown, and was heading into morbidly obese territory herself. 

The poor woman with the messed-up hair follicle lumps down the middle of her face didn't really look any different to me post-treatment.

Dr. Mercy tries, but she doesn't have Dr. Lee's perky personality.

• Love 7
On 10/20/2021 at 7:36 PM, Pi237 said:

Last thing a nervous patient wants to hear their doctor say after they reveal an embarrassing condition: “Oh, Wow.”

Yeah, she is really not good at this. Not good at being on TV, for sure, and maybe also not so great at bedside manner.

• Love 1
On 10/9/2021 at 4:10 PM, Koalagirl said:

My hands sweat so badly that when my phys Ed rotated to gymnastics I had to get a doctor’s note to excuse me.  No amount of rosin would have prevented those sweaty hands from slipping off of the equipment!  Back then there were no real treatments for hyperhydrosis and my doctor said it’s not healthy to stop you from sweating.  And if you block off certain sweat glands you’ll just start sweating elsewhere to compensate. 

Back in the day my daughter was on a competitive gymnastics team with a girl that had hyperhidrosis.  Her hands and feet would sweat so bad that she would leave wet footprints and handprints all over the mats.  As a teen, she ended up having a procedure where they make an incision under the armpit and cut some nerves ( I think sympathetic nerves). It was a total success and no more excessive sweating. Now they do it as an outpatient surgical procedure. 

• Love 1

I think I like Dr. Mercy just little bit more than Dr. Lee. She's a little more empathetic and isn't as gabby. I'd be little annoyed by all the talk. I also like that she will shave around a person's pilar cyst before cutting into their head. The woman on Dr. PP who didn't get her cysts done because she didn't want her hair trimmed around it seems a bit much!  

She seems a little more cautious about the procedures. Like the rhynophyma, Dr. Lee would have taken it all off maybe in a couple of days, where Dr. Mercy took her time.

I just had a very small lipoma removed from the back of my knee, but was referred to a plastic surgeon rather than having it done at the dermatologist's office. It was still in the PS' exam room. It's strange to see people up and about so quickly. I had to keep my leg straight for 3 weeks and wrapped and then it took at least 2 weeks to get back to some semblance of normal activity after the stitches came out. Everyone seems to be up and at 'em immediately. Maybe it was just the location of it, but still.

Loved the doctor who helped with the scalp keloids. He was fun!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Kristi800 said:

I think I like Dr. Mercy just little bit more than Dr. Lee. She's a little more empathetic and isn't as gabby.

I don't like Dr. Lee's repetition of "I adore you" to her patients. No, you don't. You just met them! I suspect Dr. Mercy is more of an introvert and that natural reserve doesn't translate as well to "reality" TV (I say this a an introvert who would be terrible on this kind of TV).

• Love 7