Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E01: The Blind Auditions Season Premiere

• Start Topic

I like Ariana's sense of humour.

I always cringe when I have to hear Blake sing alongside such singers as John, Kelly, and Ariana.  It's tough to listen to.

Kelly should have a lot more confidence.  She doesn't need to always scream and do all these dramatics to draw attention to herself.  At least she's not throwing her shoes anymore.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Yeah, I don't remember Kelly ever throwing her shoe. That was J Hud's thing.  Just knowing a bit about what Kelly has been going through in her personal life, I think she can be forgiven for carrying on a little much, like when Ariana broke out the "Thank you, Next" music on her button. At least for me.

I was surprised by how much Ariana reminded me of Christina. Very similar type of vibe, especially when listening to the contestants. But Ariana already seems more comfortable in the format, has a really good sense of humor about herself, and isn't so put off by the gamesmanship of the other coaches.  I sorta loved when she put Blake in his place....with math.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I'm not watching this season because of Ariana. I might tune in to watch the final to see which coach wins, but I will come here to read comments I can't miss a season of those, lol.

I was among those groaning the loudest when she was announced as a coach, but she really surprised me!  She seems to have matured quite a bit, she's taking it seriously and giving excellent critiques (and her team member gift is actually something to help them in the competition!).  At the same time she is giving as good as she gets with the ribbing and seems to have a sense of humor about herself.

The jury is still out and it remains to be seen how she will do with the actual coaching, but so far I'm impressed.  And I didn't expect to be.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 6

I like Arianna as a judge. She brings a fresh vibe to the judging panel. I like her sense of humor. She is very nice to all the contestants and seems to be a great technical judge. The rest phone it in. Blake is just cringe and John is boring but whatever. 

• Love 1

Can we get rid of the audience again?

Also with the full on hugging it appears Covid is officially over and I didn't get the memo.

Edited to add that I own the Jermaine Stewart version of We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off on a 45.

Edited by OLynn33
12 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Anyone know what Ariana was referring to when she told one of the contestants "I've been through hell and back"? 

Wasnt Ariana getting ready to do a Concert somewhere in England when a Bomb went off & killed lots of young people?  She said she was very traumatized by that event, and she went back several months later to finish the Concert.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Wasnt Ariana getting ready to do a Concert somewhere in England when a Bomb went off & killed lots of young people?  She said she was very traumatized by that event, and she went back several months later to finish the Concert.  

Can you imagine how traumatized the families of the dead people must be? And Ariana thinks SHE'S been to hell and back? Puhleez.

I hope she donated all the money she made from "going back to finish the concert months later" to the victims families.

I'm not criticizing your post BuckEyeLou. I appreciate the info. I'm just beginning to see that Ariana might not be what she tries to make others believe. However, she does have a good singing voice. Otherwise, I don't like her. She behaves like she's putting on an act. And she's a bad actor. JMOO! 

Also, I was NOT impressed with ANY of the contestants that were on the season premiere. Haven't watched Part 2 yet. Maybe there's still hope. 

Glad I can watch this show with Fast Forward to get through all of the commercials, all of the contestants personal stories and mostly, all of the useless, stupid banter among the judges. It's a 2 hour show with 35 minutes of actual contestants performing.

• Love 3

Can you imagine how traumatized the families of the dead people must be? And Ariana thinks SHE'S been to hell and back? Puhleez.

This seems awfully judgy!  There isn't a limit to the amount of trauma to go around from such a terrible event.  I would think having that happen at one of your shows would indeed be very traumatic.  Also, she organized and staged a huge benefit concert for Manchester just two weeks later.  https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/04/world/grande-benefit-concert/index.html  She visited victims in the hospital as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I hope she donated all the money she made from "going back to finish the concert months later" to the victims families.

Since it was a benefit concert, I’d hazard a guess that the answer is yes. She also commemorates the bombing on the anniversaries. 

I don’t know a lot about her music but I have to acknowledge that she’s a talented singer (without auto-tune), and I appreciate that her comments to the singers have been pretty specific rather than “you look cute and I love that big note.”

• Love 8
On 9/22/2021 at 11:56 AM, BuckeyeLou said:

Her exboyfriend also died.  (And then her engagement to her new boyfriend also ended.)

On 9/22/2021 at 12:12 PM, chenoa333 said:

Imagine how guilty she feels.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

On 9/22/2021 at 2:37 PM, TrueBlue said:

This seems awfully judgy!  There isn't a limit to the amount of trauma to go around from such a terrible event.  

I still have fear when I go to concerts.

On 9/22/2021 at 2:37 PM, TrueBlue said:

This seems awfully judgy!  There isn't a limit to the amount of trauma to go around from such a terrible event.  I would think having that happen at one of your shows would indeed be very traumatic.  Also, she organized and staged a huge benefit concert for Manchester just two weeks later.  https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/04/world/grande-benefit-concert/index.html  She visited victims in the hospital as well.

She also devoted parts of the album "Sweetener" to the victims.  The song "Get Well Soon" is about the tragedy.

At the end of the track, 40 seconds of silence are played, making the song five minutes and twenty-two seconds long. Some listeners speculate the song, and its length, are the date of the Manchester Arena bombing, which took place on May 22, 2017 (5/22).[9][10

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I know virtually nothing about Ariana - although I do remember hearing about that concert with the bomb.  I think she's OK on the show. I am soooo tired of the excessive, extended arguing between mostly Kelly and Blake.  I don't CARE about the judges. I record this on my DVR, and keep my finger on the ffwd button and only watch the singers and a bit of the comments on the singer. Nothing else.  A two-hour show can be watched in about an hour this way.

• Love 2

Tried to watch its and had to turn in off half way thru....I can't stand Ariana, not sorry at all.

Also it seems like the backstories are getting longer and longer. I often wonder, what if you were an absolutely incredible singer but you don't have a story to tell then what? 

The back and forth with the judges also have gotten longer, and while at times entertaining mostly start to get awkward. 

• Love 3

The Blake/Kelly nonsense is getting unbearable. STOP IT! It’s not entertaining. It’s not funny.  Enough. Other than that, contestant-wise it wasn’t bad but we’ll see how it goes. For me, the jury is out on Grande, but she seemed fine, at least at this point.