Type keyword(s) to search

The Big Leap Media Thread

• Start Topic

Final, adjusted ratings for the first two episodes of The Big Leap showed a smaller drop than originally indicated by the preliminary ratings numbers...

• Based on preliminary numbers, the ratings dropped from 0.4 demo and 1.968 M viewers (ep. 1) to 0.2 demo and 1.483 M viewers (ep. 2). That's a 50% drop.
  • However, based on final, adjusted numbers, the ratings showed a drop from 0.29 demo and 1.474 M viewers (ep. 1) to 0.25 demo and 1.456 M viewers (ep. 2).

(source 1 and source 2)

In other words, here are the actual, final ratings for the first two episodes:

• Episode 1 (09/20/2021)    0.29 demo and 1.474 M viewers
  • Episode 2 (09/27/2021)    0.25 demo (13.79% drop) and 1.456 M viewers (1.22% drop)

(source)

Still not great ratings, but not as bad a decline as originally reported.

Also, on the bright side, Scott Foley got recognition for his portrayal of producer Nick Blackburn...

Performer of the Week: Scott Foley
By Team TVLine / October 2 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/10/02/scott-foley-the-big-leap-performance-season-1-episode-2/ 

THE PERFORMER | Scott Foley

THE SHOW | Fox’s The Big Leap

THE EPISODE | “Classic Tragic Love Triangle” (Sept. 27, 2021)

THE PERFORMANCE | If you’ve yet to take the plunge and check out The Big Leap, you need to — now — if for no other reason than to marvel at Foley’s comedic tour de force. (Side note: There are many other reasons to tune in; the freshman dramedy, its appealing cast and swoon-worthy budding romances are all utterly winning. But we digress… )

The veteran of Felicity and Scandal has created in reality-show producer Nick Blackburn the quintessence of a love-to-hate character, a salty puppetmaster whose livelihood hinges on his ability to ruin lives. He’s a jerk and he knows it, but Foley makes him so freaking fun that we can’t help but delight in the manipulations that appall even him.

And when the actor gets to explode, as he did over and over in Monday’s episode, it’s a thing of hilarious beauty. Doesn’t matter whether Nick is yelling at his underlings over the co-stars’ “mouth hug” that they missed getting on camera or the open-door policy he’d never have instituted, his portrayer lands his punchlines with such precision and force, they could leave bruises.

Yet possibly even more amusing are Foley’s interactions with Galavant standout Mallory Jansen as choreographer Monica. With her, he gets to play the unusual mixture of attraction, admiration and terror that sums up Nick’s feelings about the frosty volcano, making their inevitable hookup every bit as awkward as you’d imagine — and as funny.

So argue as you will that Foley has had better roles, that you preferred his work on, say, Grey’s Anatomy or Whiskey Cavalier. For our money, Nick is the cream of the enviable crop. And the way Foley goes all in with him, light on his feet and heavy on subtext, we suspect that he might agree.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 10/3/2021 at 9:27 AM, tv echo said:

Final, adjusted ratings for the first two episodes of The Big Leap showed a smaller drop than originally indicated by the preliminary ratings numbers...

• Based on preliminary numbers, the ratings dropped from 0.4 demo and 1.968 M viewers (ep. 1) to 0.2 demo and 1.483 M viewers (ep. 2). That's a 50% drop.
  • However, based on final, adjusted numbers, the ratings showed a drop from 0.29 demo and 1.474 M viewers (ep. 1) to 0.25 demo and 1.456 M viewers (ep. 2).

(source 1 and source 2)

In other words, here are the actual, final ratings for the first two episodes:

• Episode 1 (09/20/2021)    0.29 demo and 1.474 M viewers
  • Episode 2 (09/27/2021)    0.25 demo (13.79% drop) and 1.456 M viewers (1.22% drop)

(source)

Still not great ratings, but not as bad a decline as originally reported.

It's dropping about 70% from its lead-in 9-1-1 though which can't be considered remotely good

The Washington Post critic LOVES this show:

"

Fox has gone all-in on gimmicky reality shows like “The Masked Singer” and its new hologram-based singing competition “Alter Ego,” but fall TV’s most promising original series is a somewhat gooey take on such programs. “Unreal” meets “So You Think You Can Dance” in “The Big Leap,” a behind-the-scenes drama about the making of a dance reality series in which the participants will take part in a live production of “Swan Lake.”

Okay, so the premise doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, but the lively assemblage of characters — the amateur dancers who see their time on the show-within-the-show as a long-shot second chance, as well as the reality TV producers and judges who have their own reasons for being there — more than make up for the fanciful concept.

The scenery must be delicious, because Scott Foley won’t stop chewing it while playing the Machiavellian mastermind of the “Swan Lake” series. His co-stars include Piper Perabo and Teri Polo, but it’s winsome newcomer Simone Recasner who steals every scene as a single mom and heavier dancer who grounds the tartly sweet drama with her hope against hope that America can finally see someone who looks like her as a star."

• Useful 1

Fall’s New Shows: Which Ones Could Be Renewed? Which Have Us Worried?
Meredith Jacobs    NOVEMBER 3, 2021
https://www.tvinsider.com/gallery/new-fall-2021-shows-renewed-canceled-ratings/#2 

The Big Leap
Prediction: Could Go Either Way

The Big Leap has, for the most part, lost viewers each week since the premiere (1.47 million). However, with Episode 7, it was up 21% in viewers (and 38% in the key demo) from the previous week.

Average (seven episodes): 0.24 rating, 1.28 million viewers

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

The Big Leap, Our Kind of People Both Set for Short Freshman Runs on Fox
By Matt Webb Mitovich / November 8 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/11/08/the-big-leap-short-season-1-our-kind-of-people-fox/ 

As suggested by Fox’s midseason schedule, neither The Big Leap nor Our Kind of People will be getting additional episode orders. Instead, they will wrap their freshman runs early, their renewal fates to be determined in the spring.

Sources tell TVLine that both freshman shows, being serialized, were always on track to have finite freshman runs and thus were not expecting “back nine” orders or the like. Per our sister site Deadline, The Big Leap will air 11 episodes, while Our Kind of People will run for nine.

The Big Leap‘s eighth episode airs tonight at 9/8c, while Our Kind of PPeople airs Episode 6 this Tuesday at 9 pm.

Season-to-date, The Big Leap is averaging shy of 1.3 million total viewers along with a 0.24 demo rating (in Live+Same Day numbers), ranking last on both counts among all scripted Fox fare. OKOP, averaging nearly 1.5 mil and higher than a 0.3 demo rating, lands one slot higher.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2

The "they were always planned to be short seasons" statement sounds like PR bullshit.   They're called the back be a lot shows get an order for 13 episodes and if they do well they get what's generally regarded as a full season--22 episode, or 9 more.   11 and 9 episodes sounds like they were cut before even finishing the 13 episodes and this announcement is to save face.  

That gives us 3 more episodes (after last night) to complete this season. I don't know how long the show, with this cast, can continue. Assuming they do perform Swan Lake in the last show, then this show, for all intents and purposes, is done. They could do another season with another cast, but once Swan Lake airs, this cast is done. Now, they could show what happens to the people we have come to know, but that is another show completely. 

When TV's Big Fall Finales Are Airing, Including Grey's Anatomy And One Chicago Shows
By Nick Venable last updated 1 day ago
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/when-tvs-big-fall-finales-are-airing-including-greys-anatomy-and-one-chicago-shows  

Monday, December 6

• 9-1-1 Season 5, Fox, 8:00 p.m. 
  • Black Ink Crew Season 7, VH1, 8:00 p.m. (Season Finale)
  • Hoarders Season 13, A&E, 8:00 p.m. (Season Finale)
  • The Neighborhood Season 4, CBS, 8:00 p.m.
  • Bob (Hearts) Abishola Season 3, CBS, 8:30 p.m.
  • NCIS Season 19, CBS, 9:00 p.m.
  • The Big Leap Season 1, Fox, 9:00 p.m. (Season Finale)
  • NCIS: Hawai'i Season 1, CBS, 10:00 p.m.

Edited by tv echo

‘The Big Leap’ Creator Liz Heldens On Season 1 Finale Twists & Season 2 Renewal: “We Are Very Hopeful”

DEADLINE: The Season 1 finale sets up where you could go if the show gets another season. Can you share an update? Are you planning for more just yet?

HELDENS: We are very hopeful about a season two! The show does well on Hulu, the cast is spectacular, it’s been well received and people who find the show really love it.

I had come to terms with this getting cancelled but now my hopes are back up dammit!

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I had never heard of this show, until I heard a quick mention on a recent "Extra Hot Great" podcast, and it was enough to make me check it out.  Otherwise I don't think it would have been on my radar at all.  I'm about halfway through now, but I'm glad (for the people in the early episode threads saying "oh I love it but I'm afraid it won't last the season") to see that there seems to be at least a (short) season completed.  With (as hinted above), twists!

• Love 1

Aww, man!  I knew it was probably going to get cancelled but I was holding out hope.  I've loved Scott Foley since I first saw him on Felicity when I was sixteen (he's the only reason I watched Scandal) and I think Nick is the most interesting character he's ever played.  I blame the marketing for the low ratings.  They made it seem as if the show was going to be this touchy-feely, cheesy thing when really it was more of dramedy.  If they had played up the comedy angle in the ads, I think a lot more people would have tuned in.  

• Love 5