Type keyword(s) to search

Bel-Air - General Discussion

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

18 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Are they planning for this to be a one season kind of thing?   Because they are blowing through plot.

And not following up on existing plot. I'm still waiting for them to address the elephant in the room of "Did Geoffrey arrange for Rashad's death?" b/c it seems like a pretty big deal to me.

(In my head the answer is, no- it was just a coincidence unrelated to Geoffrey and Phil's attempts to shut the guy up, but Will will jump to the wrong conclusion and it will result in some episodic drama before the truth comes out.)

Loved seeing OG Aunt Vy and Viv! (Technically Aunt Viv 2 but still)

While I know Phil did the ethical thing by dropping out, I’m pissed that Lisa’s dad is going to win AND he broke up Will and Lisa. A guy that cheating on his terminally ill first wife has ZERO right to look down on anyone, especially Will.

Finale next week. Hope that Phil rehires Geoffrey and we finally find out about Will’s dad. 

Honestly this show has been a huge disappointment to me. I remember watching reruns of the original when I was a kid. This is just not good tho. 

Uncle Phil and Geoffrey are hot tho.

Hilary’s whole influencer storyline is annoying and not entertaining at all. Same with her cooking stuff she is somehow pulling off these huge parties by herself.

Ashley who cares.

Carlton is just too over the top an asshole. The actor playing him meh.

Lisa and Will have like no chemistry in my opinion. I don’t buy her ever having chemistry with Carlton either. Not saying she’s a bad actress I don’t know but she’s not right for the show. 

Anyways gonna delete it off my PVR cause it’s a chore watching it basically. Sad tho because I was excited. I just think it could’ve been done so much better.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Marley said:

Honestly this show has been a huge disappointment to me. I remember watching reruns of the original when I was a kid. This is just not good tho. 

Uncle Phil and Geoffrey are hot tho.

Hilary’s whole influencer storyline is annoying and not entertaining at all. Same with her cooking stuff she is somehow pulling off these huge parties by herself.

Ashley who cares.

Carlton is just too over the top an asshole. The actor playing him meh.

Lisa and Will have like no chemistry in my opinion. I don’t buy her ever having chemistry with Carlton either. Not saying she’s a bad actress I don’t know but she’s not right for the show. 

Anyways gonna delete it off my PVR cause it’s a chore watching it basically. Sad tho because I was excited. I just think it could’ve been done so much better.

I gave up after a few episodes since Carlton is too whiney.  Loved OG Carlton, don't like this one too much.  Plus a lot of us have the original show in mind and we just can't help but compare.  

• Love 1
On 3/25/2022 at 12:13 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

No mention of 

Reveal spoiler

Aunt Viv and Original Vy?

😉

Well, I feel like an idiot because I spent the whole time they were on screen trying to figure out where I’d seen them before!

• Love 1
Just now, Jeddah said:

Well, I feel like an idiot because I spent the whole time they were on screen trying to figure out where I’d seen them before!

2nd Aunt Viv looked very, very, very different with the white hair.  But man, Original Vy has aged immaculately!  She looks the same.

• Love 4

So. The finale.

Marlon Wayans being cast as Lou was a great choice. That being said, I really thought the big secret was something far more sinister than Lou just being in jail and everyone not telling Will. It’s not great, but under the circumstances, it’s understandable.

Lou can kindly take several seats. Dude, YOU’RE the one that told Vy you didn’t want your son to see you in jail. Do not blame her, Phil, and Vivian for your actions. And like Will said, you could have still tried to contact him when you got out.

Carlton really had come a long way.

Can’t wait for season 2!

• Love 2
(edited)

I love Marlon Wayans.

That was a little too overdramatic for me.  Where's the lightness?

And why Karreuche Tran, man, come on?

In the OG, Jazz was Will's BFF from Philly (Right?  Well I know in real life he is). I wonder why Jazz has to be from LA here.

Hmm, never mind! Maybe OG Jazz was from LA too.  Weird.  In real life, Jazz and Will became friends in Philly.

https://freshprince.fandom.com/wiki/Jazz

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I had zero interest in this show, but decided to watch because of a free Peacock subscription.  

Overall, I thought it was a really well done, modern reimagining of the show.  The writing and characters felt authentic.  It was mostly well-cast.  As @Miss Dee mentioned, Jabari Banks is fantastic and made Will his own while keeping true to Will Smith's portrayal in the original recipe.  

I do think it lost its way a bit towards the end of the season, but I'm looking forward to season 2.  

Carlton was the one character I thought was well-written, but the performance didn't quite match.  Olly Sholotan was...eh.  His last scene opposite the Lisa actress was particularly cringy.  Simone Joy Jones as Lisa was okay, but her performance was usually elevated by the stronger actor she was opposite against.  And when she was opposite Olly, well...it wasn't iron sharpening iron.     

I also wasn't feeling Marlon Wayans as Lou. Jabari came off as the stronger actor in their showdown.  

Cassandra Freeman and Adrian Holmes were well-cast as Viv and Phil.  I liked Coco Jones as Hilary, though the writing was a bit hit or miss.  The writing for Ashley was the weakest.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 4/1/2022 at 6:46 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love Marlon Wayans.

That was a little too overdramatic for me.  Where's the lightness?

And why Karreuche Tran, man, come on?

In the OG, Jazz was Will's BFF from Philly (Right?  Well I know in real life he is). I wonder why Jazz has to be from LA here.

Hmm, never mind! Maybe OG Jazz was from LA too.  Weird.  In real life, Jazz and Will became friends in Philly.

https://freshprince.fandom.com/wiki/Jazz

Yes IRL DJ Jazzy Jeff and Will are from Philly.

In the show Jazz is from LA. Remember the episode when Carlton stayed at Jazz's house in the hood because they kept teasing Carlton he couldn't hang?  It was Trey in both shows who was Will's friend from Philly.  And in a opposite twist Hillary fell for Trey ( Don Cheadle) instead of Jazz. Would've went to Philly until she found out she would've flown back coach

My opinion is different than the group.  I think this show is far superior to TFPOB.  But both fit their respective eras.  This show wouldn't work 30 years ago and TFPOB won't work today.  I throughly enjoy the reboot of Uncle Phil and the mysterious mover and shaker Geoffrey.  Hillary is interesting as darker skin and woke.  Don't forget everyone Ashley storylines didn't come until later because she was still a little girl

I thought the Lou big reveal was a bit of a letdown. I expected more of a boogeyman backstory. Curious to see if Vivian will be tempted by Ealy's character

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I ended up liking this show. I thought a dramatic version of the show would be meh but it was actually good.  I didn't like Carlton at first but ended up liking him by the end. It was sweet he put the money in Will's pocket still has jealously of him since he asked his Dad earlier if Will was going to the racetrack with him. You could see he was glad he wasn't though he does care for Will much more now. 

Ashley was okay but she just felt she was around for most of the season, In the original series Will and Ash were much closer in this version they barely interacted. Maybe next season they will hang out more. 

I liked Hillary though I got a bit tired of her saying Influencer every episode. It fits with how things are today but the plot was just okay.  Fine for a few episodes not a whole season. Her and Jazz were fun.  Jazz was a good voice of reason for her and Will this season.

Lisa was nice but I feel like the show may still have something happen with her and Carlton again down the road. I can see why she was upset Will lied but her just at first wanting to end things and Will packing and leaving cause he was lied to feels very soap opera. It's not good to lie but the reactions felt very soapy.

Vivian and Phil seem like a good couple but they have problems and so far they have been able to work them out which I like. Though seeds could be planted for worse issues but I hope they stay together.

• Like 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, Kirkydee said:

Yes IRL DJ Jazzy Jeff and Will are from Philly.

In the show Jazz is from LA. Remember the episode when Carlton stayed at Jazz's house in the hood because they kept teasing Carlton he couldn't hang?  It was Trey in both shows who was Will's friend from Philly.  And in a opposite twist Hillary fell for Trey ( Don Cheadle) instead of Jazz. Would've went to Philly until she found out she would've flown back coach

I know that Carlton stayed at Jazz's house.  However, I assumed that Jazz had moved there from Philly.  I'm reading Will's memoirs now and that's exactly what happened in real life.  Will moved them all out there.

But, TFPoBA was actually based on Benny Medina's life, not Will's.  So Jazz somehow morphed into an LA friend.

20 hours ago, Kirkydee said:

My opinion is different than the group.  I think this show is far superior to TFPOB.  But both fit their respective eras.  This show wouldn't work 30 years ago and TFPOB won't work today.  I throughly enjoy the reboot of Uncle Phil and the mysterious mover and shaker Geoffrey.  Hillary is interesting as darker skin and woke.  Don't forget everyone Ashley storylines didn't come until later because she was still a little girl

Ashley had a lot of good stories early on.  The fight with the bully.  Learning to drum (from Jazz, I believe).  Will catching her dancing in her room.  Tevin Campbell.  She was part of some Girl Guides group and they all screamed when they saw Bel Biv Devoe.  She definitely made her mark on the show right away.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

So the big super bad gonna-destroy-everything secret was… Will’s dad was in prison? That’s it!? That storyline was way way over dramatic for such a lame reveal.

I feel like this series started off well and just turned into a soap opera by the end. I have zero interest in this manufactured melodrama between Viv and the art guy. I rolled my eyes so hard when the jazzy romantic music started playing when he appeared onscreen. 

I only watched this season because I had a free trial to Peacock. Probably won’t waste the time if there is a season 2.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 1

So is Jeffery never returning?

That father-son meeting went downhill fast. Really bad of Lou to attack the way he did. Will should be done with him.

I think Lisa plot can go away, I rather see Carlton/Will bond and be there for each other instead of instant love Will has for Lisa ties him down.

• Love 1
On 4/22/2022 at 12:07 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm no Lisa fan either.

Honestly, same. She didn’t have to be that pissy about Will keeping the arrest secret from her, especially since she damn well knew her dad would have used it against Phil if it had been exposed earlier on.

• Love 1

I came into this series not knowing what to expect.   Would it be like the 90's sitcom?   I just finished watching Episode 1 and it's definitely not.   It was cool seeing more of Will's background prior to the move to Bel-Air.   Love the modern takes of almost all the characters...Jeffrey comes across as more than just a butler.   Hillary of course would be a "Youtube influencer" wannabee in this modern version.   Carlton's more of an ass in this version (he was my fave character in the original version and now so far is my least favorite one in this version).   Guess he won't be dancing to Tom Jones.   Ashley seems about the same in both versions so far.  Both Uncle Phil and Viv seem to have gotten younger in this version but I attribute it to good genes...*LOL*.

Loving this series so far....look forward to seeing where it goes.

• Love 3

'‘Bel-Air’ Changes Showrunners ...'

Peacock’s breakout hit Bel-Air is making a change at the helm for Season 2, which is currently in production. Carla Banks Waddles has been promoted to showrunner. She takes over for TJ Brady and Rasheed Newson who have stepped down from the role over creative differences. The duo remain executive producers on the series, from Westbrrok Studios and Universal Television. The series is taking a brief hiatus as the showrunner transition is taking place.

Former Good Girls EP Banks Waddles, who is under an overall deal at Universal Television, was a co-executive producer on Season 1 of Bel-Air. She is being elevated to executive producer, along with taking over showrunner duties for Season 2.

Press release (including statements from the producers) and teaser trailer for Season 2: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/video/2022/11/17/video-bel-air-new-season-official-teaser-peacock-original-528415/20221117peacock01/

The new season starts February 23.

Season two of Bel-Air picks up with Will at a crossroads as a new figure comes into his life who challenges what he's learned in Bel-Air and competes for control of his influence. He juggles this while navigating his home life with the Banks family and trying to rebuild the trust that was broken at the end of last season. We'll see Will and Carlton's brotherhood start to evolve as they grow closer, but still challenge each other about their differences. We'll also see Hilary evolve as she becomes more of a boss in her influencer world and how that spills over into her relationship with Jazz, and also highlight the relatable struggles around Viv and Phil balancing marriage and family while trying to forge their own career paths and reconnect to the things that are important to them.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Info on new characters in Season 2:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2023/01/12/peacock-announces-guest-cast-for-season-two-of-the-critically-acclaimed-drama-series-bel-air-including-cameo-from-grammy-nominated-recording-artist-saweetie-838410/20230112peacock01/

Spoiler

· Saweetie will make an appearance as herself in the first episode of the season.

· Brooklyn McLinn will play Doc Hightower, a busy and driven basketball recruiter and AAU Coach who is impressed by Will's game at Bel-Air Academy.

· Jazlyn Martin will play Jackie. Her South L.A. street smarts put Will's Philly swagger to the test when they are introduced to each other at a Venice basketball tournament.

· Riele Downs will play Yazmin, the president of the Black Student Union at Bel-Air Academy. While their paths have not previously crossed at school, Yazmin finds herself impressed by Carlton's contributions to the club.

• Like 1

Catching up on Season 2….I’ve never seen the original.  It’s a nice little drama escape.  Right now I’m not liking either Will or Carlton but I want to see what happens.  I wish Will would get rid of that sideways cap and I honestly don’t know why that bugs me so much.  I like Jazz. The Geoffrey storyline is kind of interesting too. 

• Like 2

I have mixed feelings about the season. 

I appreciate what the show was trying to do with Will's journey, but he was kind of an ass most of the time.  Which is fine, teenagers can be assy. But the about face in the season finale was a bit much. I appreciate the growth, it just would have been nice to show it a little bit sooner. 

I love that Hilary chose to go to Paris.  Even if she doesn't end up with the football player, there's nothing wrong with taking the time to treat yourself and figure out what you want.  If she reunites with Jazz, so be it, but the last minute "let me tell you how I feel before you get on a plane" just doesn't play that well these days. Dude, you've had multiple opportunities to communicate.  She doesn't owe you a chance just because you want one. I also rolled my eyes at that "Love hurts" BS.  Uh....no, Jazz.  You got jealous and callous.  

Carlton has a long road ahead of him, I assume next season will be about rehab (in more ways than one).  

Geoffrey probably had the most interesting storyline.  I assume the photo and cryptic calls mean that the old gang knows that's his son, and he's at risk?

Viv had little to do this season.  Didn't get intriguing until the finale.  I hope she doesn't quit the job for Carlton's sake. Especially since it really seems like he needs Phil more. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I'm surprised this has been picked up for a 3rd season, just based upon the responses/ posts here. I'm curious what everyone's opinion is, but no one's saying...

16 hours ago, Chalby said:

I'm surprised this has been picked up for a 3rd season, just based upon the responses/ posts here. I'm curious what everyone's opinion is, but no one's saying...

I agree because it feels like nobody was really talking about this season. Even on Twitter I only saw it trend once while S1 trended more.  Maybe I missed when it was trending I don't know lol.

Carlton is my favorite character. I'm glad he is getting help with the drugs and his parents finally know about it.  I look forward to more of his journey. Will annoyed me for most of the season and I can't stand the huffy face he would make when he was mad. It looked silly.  I don't like him and Lisa together but alas they had to get back together.

Ashley felt more involved this season which was good. I agree with another post that it was right for Hillary to go to Paris at this time. Nothing wrong with exploring all options. 

That friend of Vivian's who clearly is after Phil well I can't stand her. 

Geoffrey had good stuff this season and I am glad he made peace with his son and that he is back working with the Banks family.

• Like 3
(edited)

I only just now finished the season. 

I really enjoyed the family reunion episode. It was fun. 

The whole Will and the basketball coach story ending with all them being friends was odd. Will needs to be grateful for the father figure he has compared to these other bads he's looking for like his bio dad or this coach.

Glad Carlton said the truth but that was not the time. 

I actually prefer Hilary's football player exboyfriend. He seems to respect and treat her good.  I like him better than Jazz with her.  I'm glad she went to Paris. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, Artsda said:

Glad Carlton said the truth but that was not the time. 

Right?!?! I was yelling, "NOT THE TIME!!!!!!!! Accept your damn award and tell your family at home!"

11 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

That friend of Vivian's who clearly is after Phil well I can't stand her. 

I love every time she walked in the room and Geoffrey would be like

tumblr_mlopaqdbeK1s75usvo1_250.gif

He sees exactly who she is and what she's after. And Phil knows better, but he keeps putting himself in compromising positions with her, and in my opinion, did not check her hard enough or leave quick enough when she kissed him. He's gonna get his ass in trouble.

• Like 4

I finally finished this season. I loved Season 1 but this season was kind of lame. With the exception of a couple of scenes here and there, this was mostly a chore for me to get through. I hated this whole basketball storyline with Will. And I don't like the storyline with Uncle Phil and the thirsty lawyer who keeps trying to throw herself at him. 

In a surprise turn of events, Carlton's drug storyline is what kept me engaged. And he is normally my least favourite character. 

I really hope season 3 will be better.

• Like 1

From the press release about Season 3 (some photos at the link as well);

Peacock's BEL-AIR is back for Season 3 Premiering August 15 with three New Episodes at Launch

In season three, school's out for the summer, and Will is doing Bel-Air his way. Being a part of the Banks family has given him a new perspective - it isn't just about wealth, it means that Will now has options to lean into other things that excite him and has the privilege to dream bigger. As Will makes an exciting pivot, he finds a partner in Carlton, who desperately wants to leave his life of addiction behind and rebuild his damaged reputation. And while the dynamic duo has a lot of exciting wins, working together also reveals fundamental differences in their backgrounds and worldviews. Can a partnership of such extremes work? Pressure at work and home will also pose challenges for Viv and Phil. How does a couple hold strong when their lives are at sea? Hilary's romantic journey with LaMarcus will face some shocking hurdles, and Ashley's views on romance will start to blossom as she comes of age the summer before she starts high school, and Geoffrey's London past will come a little too close to home.

• Like 1