Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Relentless

CheshireCat
  • Start Topic

I think I'm with (almost) everyone else in regards to this show. I used to love it and look forward to it every week, now I'm boarding on hate-watching. 

• I know things happen over the course of the hour, but I look back over the past 10 episodes and I don't think the storylines should have filled five eps let alone 10. 
  • I thought a spark was lost when Scott left, and thought it couldn't get worse then Ellen left and proved me wrong. 
  • I found a youtube channel that features clips of Deran and Adrian's storyline and it dawned on me that I really liked that aspect of the show more than I realized. Deran seemed like the one with most hope because of that relationship. 
  • If they were going to do flashbacks, I would rather they have explored the relationship between Baz, Pope and Julia when they were teens/growing up and their relationship with Smurf. 
  • I don't understand the difference in how they write young Smurf vs. older Smurt. 
  • I miss the show it once was. 
  • Love 10

Dumb moto cop chased him into and around the parking garage.  There's only 1-2 entrances; call for backup and stake out the exits before you go chasing him.  But I guess it was necessary to show how badass Craig has become.

One wonders how Deran managed to work his way through the bureaucracy to get his alcohol license in the first place.  Blowing up at City Hall never ends well.

Deputy Dawg thinks he's a big time gangster now that he's killed someone to help out the Codys.  I think he had no idea how deep his shit is, now.

Sorry, Max.  You can piss off Julia, you can piss off Smurf, but don't you dare piss off Andrew.

Nothing says 1990s flashback so much as robbing a truck of VCRs.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

Nothing says 1990s flashback so much as robbing a truck of VCRs.

It’s around 1985 since Julia’s grave showed she was born in 1977 and they seem to be around 8 years old?  I don’t understand why we get these flashbacks of VCR’s and Billy hooking them up when they can cover more interesting things like the kids being born and as teens, how she adopted Baz, and how they got the house.  

• Love 7

RE: the flashbacks, I wonder if it's going to turn out that Manny is really Craig's father. Craig looks nothing like Jake or Smurf but he does have darker coloring like Manny. This is potentially the only interesting thing that might come out of the flashbacks this season, because Manny doesn't seem to be around anymore in present day, so it might be somewhat interesting to know that Smurf lied about Craig's paternity for some reason. Craig himself still has no idea who his own father is.

Craig is spiraling out of control, I hope this is going somewhere.

I admit I liked the scene with the fed getting shot. I suspected someone was going to shoot him but I didn't guess it would be the cop, I was fooled into thinking he'd been working against the Codys the whole time with the federal agent. The show hasn't really surprised me like that in a long time.

It's a shame they just don't seem to know what to do with J this season.

• Love 4

Another shitty episode. I guess I was supposed to be all shocked when the one cop got shot but I didn’t even care. There’s barely anything going on anymore. What SL am I supposed to be invested in? The flashbacks are stupid Young Smurf is doing a horrible job. The actress isn’t good and I don’t buy her turning into the Smurf we saw at the beginning of the show. At least the one guy seems to be doing a good impression of Denis Leary lol.

Craig is annoying as fuck. I FF the lame motorcycle chase.

I am hate watching but haven’t reached my breaking point of quitting watching but it’s getting close.

• Love 3

I do like that the boys are going to plan a new heist.

Seeing Craig spiraling proves he is not ready to be a father. But Renn is also not ready. She is a low-level drug dealer. The odds of her getting arrested sometime in the next 18 years are very high. The kid is screwed. He will end up with Renn's parents, who contributed to Renn becoming a model citizen.

I wasn't expecting the DEA officer to be killed. I legit thought the cop they bought must have turned on them. Killing a federal officer is not smart. The DEA will come looking for a missing officer. He probably has co-workers and supervisors who know what cases he was working. Killing a federal officer should bring more attention to the Codys, not less. And a cop should know that. Of course the writing is so bad that I assume there will be no follow up on just how bad of an idea that was.

I'm still not sure what the writers are trying to do with Young Smurf. So far we haven't learned anything remotely interesting about her or the kids this season. It's just filler.

Edited by TooMuchRealityTV
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, TooMuchRealityTV said:

Killing a federal officer should bring more attention to the Codys, not less. And a cop should know that.

That, and it's all on him.  The Codys would likely burn him the second any investigator comes close, as they actually had nothing to do with the murder.  Not that they wouldn't drop the fed, but they would be a lot more careful.  All they have to say is "He was standing there with a gun on us, and made us dispose of the body."  Of course, the Codys would be under some serious heat for a time, but the cop would be done.

• Love 1

At least the one guy seems to be doing a good impression of Denis Leary lol.

I meant to mention that. He does have a passing resemblance to a younger Denis Leary, I'll give them that.

I'm still not sure what the writers are trying to do with Young Smurf. So far we haven't learned anything remotely interesting about her or the kids this season. It's just filler.

It really is. Every episode, every scene, is just another iteration of "ooh, look what a stone-cold badass she is." That's the one and only point they keep hammering again and again. Now she's going to take out Max. Because . . . she's a stone-cold badass. Again. Some more.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

RE: the flashbacks, I wonder if it's going to turn out that Manny is really Craig's father. Craig looks nothing like Jake or Smurf but he does have darker coloring like Manny. This is potentially the only interesting thing that might come out of the flashbacks this season, because Manny doesn't seem to be around anymore in present day, so it might be somewhat interesting to know that Smurf lied about Craig's paternity for some reason. Craig himself still has no idea who his own father is.

I admit I liked the scene with the fed getting shot. I suspected someone was going to shoot him but I didn't guess it would be the cop, I was fooled into thinking he'd been working against the Codys the whole time with the federal agent. The show hasn't really surprised me like that in a long time.

One reason why I think Craig's father is Jake (or possibly Billy) is because both characters are still alive. But that's bc I'm guessing Craig's sulky/explosive dad routine will culminate in a reunion with Craig's Real Dad.

This was actually the first episode I've liked in a while. I did think the agent was going to get it - partly bc the meetup premise was a little ridic but also the way the scene was shot - it did still surprised me when it happened and I love that the Cody boys have to deal with a different kind of psycho bc it's totally what they deserve.

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Every episode, every scene, is just another iteration of "ooh, look what a stone-cold badass she is." That's the one and only point they keep hammering again and again. Now she's going to take out Max. Because . . . she's a stone-cold badass. Again. Some more.

I didn't even mind the flashbacks. I felt like it was moving along with Billy, Smurf & Manny have a working relationship and Max going too far with the kids...but yeah. I know I'm on repeat with this but Malibu Barbie Smurf's hardness makes no sense. I'm guessing the showrunners wanted a young hot actress who smiles but Smurf's real darkness is not evident in the flashbacks. It's not tying back to the character we watched for four seasons. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, chick binewski said:

This was actually the first episode I've liked in a while. I did think the agent was going to get it - partly bc the meetup premise was a little ridic but also the way the scene was shot - it did still surprised me when it happened and I love that the Cody boys have to deal with a different kind of psycho bc it's totally what they deserve.

This show has gone off the rails, but I still get excited when I see an episode pop up on my DVR. And I always watch it right away. So there's a part of me that's still drawn into the story and the characters. 

The show lost a lot when it fired Ellen Barkin, just like the Codys are lost without Smurf. I just can't figure out how they're going to get their shit together. They keep pulling these jobs, but everyone keeps saying how broke they are. And yet Craig can throw parties and get all of the cocaine he wants. And no one ever complains about not having gas money.  

I wonder where Renn went. Poor Nick. 

And was Lena adopted? Or did she go into foster care? I can't remember. Poor Lena. 

Maybe the showrunner can eat crow and beg Ellen Barkin to come back for the last season. They'd have to pay her tons of money--and she should demand it. I don't know how it would work-- I don't want Ghost Smurf, but I don't want all flashbacks either. I want to see the family move forward, but I want Ellen Barkin there. Maybe Smurf has a sister, ala Curly's twin brother showing up in City Slickers 2.

I ignore the young Smurf flashbacks. For me, the only compelling part of those scenes is Houston Towe, the actor who plays young Andrew. He has all of Pope's intensity and potential for violence. But also his great observational skills. I wish Andrew had gotten the therapy he needed as a child. At the very least, the nurturing from his mother that he needed. 

• Love 3
On 9/12/2021 at 11:42 PM, Dowel Jones said:

Dumb moto cop chased him into and around the parking garage.  There's only 1-2 entrances; call for backup and stake out the exits before you go chasing him.  But I guess it was necessary to show how badass Craig has become.

It felt like one of those situations where officers  at least in my jurisdiction would be told to cut off the chase for public safety. A challenge that these Oceanside cops would not even call in that he was in a chase so he couldn't be ordered to knock it off.

19 hours ago, TooMuchRealityTV said:

I wasn't expecting the DEA officer to be killed. I legit thought the cop they bought must have turned on them. Killing a federal officer is not smart. The DEA will come looking for a missing officer. He probably has co-workers and supervisors who know what cases he was working. Killing a federal officer should bring more attention to the Codys, not less. And a cop should know that. Of course the writing is so bad that I assume there will be no follow up on just how bad of an idea that was.

Enter the FBI, the Cody's already beat the locals, NCIS and now the DEA and Pope easily got away with his spree bank robberies.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It's a shame they just don't seem to know what to do with J this season.

Isn't Manny dead in present day? I vaguely remember Smurf going to his funeral in season 2 or 3 maybe? I do think Jake is Craig's dad.

I also have to give credit to the guy playing young Billy, he looks like he could be related to Denis Leary.

Is Max Baz's dad? I know we met his mom a few episodes ago. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

And was Lena adopted? Or did she go into foster care? I can't remember. Poor Lena. 

I think she was initially placed with a foster family. I can't remember if they ever said she was adopted by them. Last we saw her she was much happier than she ever was with Baz and the Codys. Little wonder.

Isn't Manny dead in present day? I vaguely remember Smurf going to his funeral in season 2 or 3 maybe? I do think Jake is Craig's dad.

Oh - maybe you're right. I remember the occasion but can't remember what his name was. I looked up that episode but don't see a character named Manny. Maybe I'll go back and watch it. The good old days.

21 hours ago, chick binewski said:

One reason why I think Craig's father is Jake (or possibly Billy) is because both characters are still alive. But that's bc I'm guessing Craig's sulky/explosive dad routine will culminate in a reunion with Craig's Real Dad.

I didn't even mind the flashbacks. I felt like it was moving along with Billy, Smurf & Manny have a working relationship and Max going too far with the kids...but yeah. I know I'm on repeat with this but Malibu Barbie Smurf's hardness makes no sense. I'm guessing the showrunners wanted a young hot actress who smiles but Smurf's real darkness is not evident in the flashbacks. It's not tying back to the character we watched for four seasons. 

The reason why the Young Smurf actress was hired is her famous dad and famous husband. If they had a better actress I probably wouldn’t mind the flashbacks as much. I mean they would still be stupid but at least it would make more sense.

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Oh - maybe you're right. I remember the occasion but can't remember what his name was. I looked up that episode but don't see a character named Manny. Maybe I'll go back and watch it. The good old days.

Manny died in season 2. He was never on screen in the present day storyline. Smurf and J go out to his wake. Javi, the character the Codys had to deal with that season was an associate of Mannys. He informed Smurf that Manny was dying.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/14/2021 at 12:32 AM, topanga said:

The show lost a lot when it fired Ellen Barkin,

Barkin was fired?  Where did you hear this?

ETA:  Nevermind, just did a quick google search.  I had just assumed Barkin quit, because I couldn't comprehend a show getting rid of a major talent like Barkin, and a major character like Smurf.  Boy, was I wrong!

Edited by sugarbaker design

Manny died in season 2. He was never on screen in the present day storyline. Smurf and J go out to his wake. Javi, the character the Codys had to deal with that season was an associate of Mannys. He informed Smurf that Manny was dying.

Yes, thanks. I went back and watched that episode on Amazon Prime. It's the same episode where J and Smurf hold up a diner, just for kicks. That's probably the closest Ellen Barkin's Smurf came to being like Leila George's Smurf. Man, the show used to be SO much better back then!

Also, in that 2nd season episode, J asks Smurf how she met Manny, and she basically says it was Manny who "discovered" her and taught her everything she knew. But when the flashbacks started, the only reason she was with Manny's crew was because she was Jake's girlfriend. Manny and Colin both wanted her out because they thought she was a liability. So the flashbacks are even a bit revisionist in addition to being boring and pointless.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

When did VCRs ever cost $800? Certainly not in the mid-80s. Were those Betamaxes?

Aw, Deran hates gentrification, at least when it happens to him. But doing everything legit? No, he must've forgotten about the booze he stole from the other bar.

Uh oh, Smurf already told Max to stay away from her kids. Now he's going to die.

That ending tho. I haven't been surprised like that by this show in a long time.

• Love 3
On 9/21/2021 at 6:31 PM, Novel8 said:

For me, I wouldn't mind if they throw around the names of the Flashback portions. I still don't know which one is Deran. ..or maybe being the youngest he hasn't been born yet.

The only kids that are in the flashbacks are Julia and Andrew. At this rate, we’ll never see Craig and Deran as kids.