Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: The Journey Begins

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Omg I can't believe Morgan almost missed her interview lol that girl should have been on her toes after last years training camp. It's funny how Emily roslyn wasn't mentioned once and all the other training camp candidates from last year kept getting camera time. I wonder which episode will we find out about Hannah

• Love 1

I have no intention of watching the first ep before next Friday but I have every intention of keeping an eye on this thread because I just can't stay away from spoilers.

Thanks for opening the thread early!

• Love 2

I could not stop myself from watching it. *lol*

Did anyone else see the vets who were called into the office (Brittney, Veronica, Danielle, and Hannah?) It looks like Morgan might have been late for her final interview. Melissa R. is already starting to get on my nerves. I thought Neil McCoy was a celebrity judge in season 2. Why did Kelli say the hometown of some of the girls who made it to finals? I chuckle at the twins who thought the judges would pick them because having twins on the team would be unique.

I really stayed up just to watch this new episode. Same thing except now I have to deal with Melissa Rycroft's annoying voice. I feel like she's been very uncessary so far and I wonder how Judy and Kelli feel about her getting so much screen time and she's just a girl who left the team after her second season to be with her boyfriend who dumped her soon after. I'm kind of over Vivian because I feel like she's so extra. She cried too much this episode.

• Love 6

I thought I saw that girl who had played in the musical "Bring it on!" . Does anyone know if she re-auditioned? They said she didn't have a face for HD last season, but I thought she did.

i am not really happy Melissa is there either... got so tired of her in "The Bachelor", and with  her leaving the DCC, asking to come back and leaving again. Not a good someone to look up to.   

Edited by Dopeydwarf
  • Love 1

wow....already it looks like quite a season. I wonder why some of the vets are called in to Kelli's office? I love Danielle. I hope she has less drama this season. Did everyone hear Vivian say, "I don't want to do this again?" I wonder what that was about. Breelan and Melissa are my favorites so far. I'm rambling...I'm so intrigued!

• Love 1
I thought I saw that girl who had played in the musical "Bring it on!" . Does anyone know if she re-auditioned? They said she didn't have a face for HD last season, but I thought she did.

Yeah, I caught a glimpse of her when they were announcing the finalists. Emily Roslyn too. 

So I was surprised to see Morgan in the interviews -- I thought she hadn't tried out again at all???

I think Morgan tried out but was cut at finals.

What kills me is that for all of Kelli's devotion to the DCC, she cant't really wear two hats (as director and as a producer for the show) without compromising the integrity of the squad and the whole process. It's been noted that many former DCC have said that training camp didn't use to have so many girls--it was primarily the size of the squad they expected to have. But the primary drama of the show is cuts---without that "tonight will be your last night" there isn't a show. Think of how what else they show has changed, likely based on viewers' response; I am thinking of the body fat tests, sessions with Jay, media training, etc.

So we have to wonder if certain girls are brought in with the express plan to cut them, especially when most relevent issues like memory and body type would already be revealed during auditions. And furthermore, wonder if girls like Meaghan F. & Vivian are brought in as "characters in a show" and not true DCC hopefuls.

• Love 5

Why did Kelli say the hometown of some of the girls who made it to finals?

Maybe there were already too many "Michelles",  "Maries", "Kathryns", and "Lanaes"  used as middle names, so she had to resort to hometowns to differentiate.

Might be kinda fun to adopt a DCC middle name here.

Dopeydwarf Lanae

• Love 2

Charlotte looks like she had extra Botox this year. Yikes! She looks quite startled.

I have always like Melissa Rycroft and am glad to see her back. I know I'm in the minority. I like Sydney too. I liked Vivian last year, until she was begging to stay. Then I turned on her. That was too desperate. So I hope this season isn't the Vivian show.

Neal McCoy came off as a pervert! He was quite taken with Courtney Danielle. And the only thing he had to say about Ashley Michelle is "she's hot!" She actually looks like she filled out and matured a bit and it looks great on her!

I know they have a fan vote but wouldn't it be cool if they allowed a fan or two to win the opportunity to be a judge?

• Love 3

GBPackersfan-I don't know how to do the quote, tried and failed so in reply to your fan vote, I too have thought about having someone from the boards who doesn't live in the area and then someone from the area who watches be a judge.  Maybe one for day 1 and one for day 2.  Perhaps in the seasons to come we might see this happen also.

OK am just rewatching the show again and I see that there is a girl in full uniform taking pom poms out of her locker and it says her name is Chandler.  Hmmm

• Love 1

If you have DirecTV, you can watch the episode on demand.

The first episode is usually the most boring one, IMO.  They are pretty much interchangeable from year to year. The only really noteworthy event of this episode was that Tessa was cut which sucks. 

Melissa didn't bother me as a judge. I think it's a cool idea to have a veteran on the judges panel.

Neal McCoy seems like such a random celebrity judge.

In the previews at the very beginning of the episode ("this season on making the team"), was that Veronica in Kelli's office?  It looked like there may have been a couple other vets, too.  

• Love 1

GBPackersfan-I don't know how to do the quote, tried and failed so in reply to your fan vote, I too have thought about having someone from the boards who doesn't live in the area and then someone from the area who watches be a judge.  Maybe one for day 1 and one for day 2.  Perhaps in the seasons to come we might see this happen also.

OK am just rewatching the show again and I see that there is a girl in full uniform taking pom poms out of her locker and it says her name is Chandler.  Hmmm

LOL. I noticed the name "Chandler" too, I actually paused it and rewind it a few times to be sure.

If you have DirecTV, you can watch the episode on demand.

The first episode is usually the most boring one, IMO.  They are pretty much interchangeable from year to year. The only really noteworthy event of this episode was that Tessa was cut which sucks. 

Melissa didn't bother me as a judge. I think it's a cool idea to have a veteran on the judges panel.

Neal McCoy seems like such a random celebrity judge.

In the previews at the very beginning of the episode ("this season on making the team"), was that Veronica in Kelli's office?  It looked like there may have been a couple other vets, too.  

Are you talking about the girl whose crying and says" I'm feeling frustrated"? Looks like like Veronica to me.

Speaking of the previews at the begininng, whose the Kathryn Dunn lookalike?

With all the speculation on Hannah. Did anyone else see the scene with the 2nd year vets standing outside crying and surrounding themselves around whoever got cut? I wonder if that was Hannah?

Also, I'm re-watching Season 8 and Breelan actually made it to finals that season.

It seemed like Charlotte, Kelli and Judy were impressed with Vivian during the first round of auditions this year. I can't wait to see why she was cut.

• Love 1

I wonder what Tessa told herself that convinced her it was a good idea to audition again, even though her kicks are still sub par. It did seem to me like she had improved some, but she's definitely not performing to the DCC standard. I think in her case, being a former training camp member counted against her. The organization had already invested time and energy trying to get her up to snuff. She needed to come back with spectacular kicks, and she didn't. Maybe she thought she could get the Loni Lindsey kickline exemption, but by all appearances, that was a one time only situation.

Kelli is looking good. I like the dark hair better than the reddish chunky highlight thing she used to have going on.

I still really hate the whole middle name thing. It makes them all sound like strippers.

I wonder why they didn't use the real audition music during the segment when the dancers were learning the semifinals routine. They used the real thing (as annoying as it was) during the actual audition.

• Love 1

It seemed like Charlotte, Kelli and Judy were impressed with Vivian during the first round of auditions this year. I can't wait to see why she was cut.

They're gonna suddenly remember how short her legs are. :)

• Love 2

Can we see more Kristi Scales? She's the voice of reason in that room. I don't have strong feelings about Melissa Rycroft or the country star I've never heard of, but in general the more voices there are, the better. That's what I liked most about last season--there seemed to be more "outsiders," like the choreographers. (And it looks like at least one of them comes back?) Judy and Kelli are just repeating themselves so much--"She scares me," "iconic uniform," "pressure's on."

• Love 1

That was Veronica crying.  She's one of my favorite vets, so I'm all worried about it even though I know she made it back!  Looks like some serious drama in the episodes ahead.  Lots of girls crying everywhere.  It looks like we will get some explanation for Hannah leaving.

Disappointing to see Tessa cut before finals (even though I knew it had happened), but was glad that they addressed it (vs showing nothing at all like with Emily R or Miranda).  She looked beautiful and was in even better shape than last year, but clearly her flexibility had not improved nearly enough.  She was one of my favorites last year, and the fact that she took being cut this year with real grace makes me like her even more.

Loved Judy's blue lace dress.  Kelli looked lovely as usual, and I thought Charlotte's face looked more frozen than previous years, which is saying something. I'm not a fan of Melissa Rycroft, and I don't think she was a particularly standout DCC, but after 9 seasons, it's nice to hear from another judge at auditions, even if I wished we'd gotten to hear from DJ Guthrie instead.  I'm sure Kelli and Judy value his opinion far more than Melissa's and some of the other judges, and I'd rather hear what he thinks than Neal McCoy, who, I agree, did seem a little pervy in his enthusiasm.  Hope we hear from DJ at finals auditions.  

Oiy, Vivian!  Until this episode, I had felt mostly favorably towards her (but very uncomfortable when she begged K&J not to cut her).  In the audition pics online, I thought she looked pretty and more trim than last year, and was intially rooting for her comeback.  After this first episode, though, I felt like I was watching Vivian the Diva emerge.  She was hamming everything up for the cameras, and I found her annoyingly cheesy.  I mean, she freaking pointed when her name was called last for making finals.  Who was she pointing at?!  I certainly hope not Kelli and Judy and Charlotte, though I do LOL at that possibility.  The pointing, the winking straight at the camera, talking about how she hopes she wins the fan vote again because "then I would be like, I really am a fan favorite!"  I found it rather tacky and self-centered.  I think she's seeming all about "me" rather than interested in being part of a team, and I find that unattractive.  Plus, her dancing in the fan vote video was not impressive to me--and that was back when I still rather liked her.  

Really hoping her story doesn't overshadow every other rookie candidate's.  Really liked Mary and Melissa, and hope we get to follow both ladies.  Ashley Michelle still seemed scared of everything.  She must have really dug deep and found her Sasha Fierce in training camp to make this team.  Good for her! 

• Love 5

M1977G, you said exactly what I said watching this episode! I completely feel that Vivian was playing to the cameras! It seems to be all about her vs all about the team. I HATED her pointing when she was called! And when she wants to win the fan vote to show she really is the fan fave, I thought "how very arrogant of you!" She won last year, isn't that good enough? And wouldn't you want to do it on your own merit this time? Even when she is in the background, she seems to be looking for the cameras. Very much like Morgan last year. I really hope this isn't the Vivian show this year! I'm interested in ALL the girls' stories. I think we heard enough from Vivian last year. We know her story. Now it's someone else's turn.

I also would have liked to hear DJ Guthrie's voice during try outs. Maybe during finals we will get to hear him.

I'm watching Season 8 on Logo channel right now. I really like the stylist, Johnny! He's pretty funny. Hopefully they show him again this season. Seems we will see an awful lot of crying this year! I can't wait!!

• Love 3

Can we see more Kristi Scales? She's the voice of reason in that room.

I had to look her up but once I saw who you meant- no!  Not to me.  She looks so completely out of touch with fashion, and she looks so sour!!!   also, I thought she must work for a local newspaper or something but I realized she works for the organization???  I read some of her blog posts about the DCC and she writes like an 8th grader doing a report for remedial English.  Sorry, I don't  get her value.  But I'm open minded if someone wants to fill me in.  Maybe she's just got a spot on the panel because of her "job?"  Wonder if her "job," job performance or relevance has been reviewed in the last decade or three?  Or four- when was the late 70's anyway?  

Love the DJ Guthrie comments, I would love to hear from him too!!!  He's a dancer, plus a guy!  Seems like K&J sometimes forget that a TON of their fan audience is male!

Yes, agree Vivian seemed much more genuine last year.  She does seem fake and playing to cameras.  I saw after she didn't make it, she tried out  for Mavs and didn't make that either.  I hope she finds a way to value herself and all she has to give, and how beautiful she is without some professional dance team giving her validation.   And Tessa broke my heart.  She was totally my favorite and is such a gorgeous girl who really seems to be the whole DCC package.  How awful that her kicks kicked her out.  Wonder if she'll come back?  She would have such a huge following i'm sure!

It would be great if they did a split screen during the judges' deliberations, so on the left we could see the judges talking, and on the right, we could see the performance they're talking about. The way they're doing it now, it seems like the judges' comments often don't make sense. Like when Melissa said Tessa didn't have her splits, and then cut to Tessa sinking all the way down into the splits. What do you mean she doesn't have them? That's her doing them, right there.

• Love 1

Oh I am not a fan of Kristi Scales either! She needs a makeover. Plus her comments for this episode didn't make any sense. She was commenting that a girl got a double plus on kicks. One of the other ladies is making a face and said she got a double negative. (The kicks are very low).

ITA they should show a split screen with the girls they are speaking about. Especially at the beginning, I can't remember who is who or how they performed.

• Love 1

I love Tessa, but it's true that her splits were noticeably off.  When the camera shows her doing them from a slight side angle, you can see that her splits don't touch the ground--there is visible space (maybe more than two inches), not unlike Kali's splits last year at finals auditions.  I think Tessa's injuries (esp her earlier groin injury) just wouldn't let her gain the flexibility she needs, but maybe an injury-free year of stretching and strengthening and physical therapy could make a difference.  It just depends on if she's willing to go through all of that to maybe make the team.  Her body might be like Kali's and just can't stretch leg tendons and muscles like crazy rubber bands.  I'd love to see her make a comeback, but only if she can stay healthy and come back with dynamite kicks and splits.  I don't want her to be cut again!  I'm pretty sure she auditioned with Jessica three years ago (when Jessica was a rookie) and didn't make TCC, and it sounded from Kelli this year like that was the reasons she didn't make it the first year.

I kind of like Kristi Scales, but obviously not for her style.  I like that she judges girls on more than just their looks, but I do disagree sometimes with her dance evaluations.  The kicks she was raving about were not "check plus-plusses" (they showed her in slow-mo during this debate).  They weren't bad, and certainly girls have gotten into TC with worse kicks (hello, Mackenzie, Kali, and Tessa).  I think the girl they were talking about is a good and well trained dancer, but she just seemed so nervous learning the choreography that she might have psyched herself out.  I liked her and hope she tries out again.

Speaking of girls who didn't make the team, I really liked the girls they chose to feature in the first episode.  Amy, who assembles cars, was charming and fearless, but undertrained; Shannon seemed very sweet and had an admirable come-back spirit; and Alexandra seems like a lovely person, and might have been my favorite featured candidate who doesn't make the final team.  I admire her work ethic and career choice, and hope that she continues to take dance and work on her technique.  Not just so she can re-audition and have a better chance at making the team, but because it really seemed to me that she finds dance fulfilling and challenging, and we all need some of that in our lives.  Her dance lines and technique need work, but she seems like a natural performer and an ideal ambassador for any organization she represents.  I liked that each of these girls had more going for them than their looks (hello, twins who think they can be DCCs just because they are kind of pretty).  And I also liked that they weren't just showing privileged girls who grew up taking studio classes and waltzing into auditions with Louis Vitton bags on their arms.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I appreciate them showing that women from all walks of life go for this team.

Feeling all eager about episode two and seeing the solos and interviews, and what went wrong with Morgan, Courtni, and Alex H.  But then I realize I have to wait two more weeks, not just one...this early premier now seems kind of cruel to me!

• Love 3

Feeling all eager about episode two and seeing the solos and interviews, and what went wrong with Morgan, Courtni, and Alex H.  But then I realize I have to wait two more weeks, not just one...this early premier now seems kind of cruel to me!

Waaaaaaaaaaah!!!  Me too!

I just watched the episode i hated all the stupid pre-filmed packages , i felt there were very little dancing because of them , i hope they don't do this in finals especially with the solos i love Megan p and  Courtney , i surprised that the twins didn't make it i thought they did well on the semi-finals routine and Tessa i was bummed for her i love her   

I kind of like Kristi Scales, but obviously not for her style.  I like that she judges girls on more than just their looks, but I do disagree sometimes with her dance evaluations. 

Yes, that's exactly why I said I want to see her more--that she is not so focused on the super-thin, conventional beauty. She seems the most likely in the room to say what I want someone to say: That girl isn't bottom-heavy, say, or by normal people's standards (I know, I know, not DCC standard) those are good kicks. And I like that she still says says what she thinks even when all we ever see of her is everyone disagreeing with her. Though I've been watching this show for years I am still very ambivalent about it and the DCC, so having someone--even a person who works for the Cowboys system--seem less fashionable and more reasonable makes me happy.

I was sort of half looking but didn't see Chelsey (sp?) from last year--the one who was bumped from DCCdom for making some snotty comments after being called in with a few other returnees for being a bit heavier than they had been. Can't say I'm surprised; she was seriously upset and she seemed to have pissed off TPTB. Frankly, I just thought she was reacting to the dressing down and hadn't done anything all that terrible but there you go.

She seems the most likely in the room to say what I want someone to say:

I agree. She's kind of the "regular person" vote, the one person who doesn't drink the DCC kool-aid.

I would've been shocked if Chelsea Chaney tried to come back this year. She's too smart and too savvy for that. I would've lost respect for her.

I wonder what's the most time anyone had to go through training camp before finally making the team.

• Love 1

Yes, agree Vivian seemed much more genuine last year. She does seem fake and playing to cameras. I saw after she didn't make it, she tried out for Mavs and didn't make that either. I hope she finds a way to value herself and all she has to give, and how beautiful she is without some professional dance team giving her validation. And Tessa broke my heart. She was totally my favorite and is such a gorgeous girl who really seems to be the whole DCC package. How awful that her kicks kicked her out. Wonder if she'll come back? She would have such a huge following i'm sure!

Vivian seemed a little cocky. With Kelli being executive producer she may have caught that considering they probably have to edit those episodes quickly for production. I hope Alexandra from American Allen Ice Angels come back. The little blonde Courtney I think she's 18...she reminds me of Britney Schram and Courtney (Curly blonde who left season 8). I think J&K chose a bunch of young girls so they could have a solid team for the next 5 years at least.

Edited by BlackDaria
  • Love 1

Agree with everyone that Vivian was beyond annoying on the first episode. I was rooting for her last year, but this year, not so much. I also have to say that after browsing her "fan" Facebook page, I find her insufferable.

• Love 3

That spin of Melissa's in the prelim! I'm not a dancer, and I was impressed. It was beautiful! The only time I've seen that type of spin is in figuring skating. I didn't think it would be possible on non-ice. 

• Love 3