Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: The Journey Begins

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Did you all notice Kelli's comment when she was discussing Melissa with Judy and Charlotte, she used the word, "but" after she said her name and number...wonder what she would have a reservation about? If there were ever a shoe-in, it's Melissa. We'll see......

Also, can I just say how much I love Ashley Michelle this season? She grew a set. She's a fighter...and she wears it well. It makes me wonder why they let her go and kept Emily (season 7) ? Ashley is way prettier....I never understood why Emily made the squad. But I don't know dance the way some of you on this board might.

I also heard the "but" regarding Melissa.  I assume Kelli thought she needed to be more toned.  Not to say she didn't look to be in great shape at auditions, but we all the know the DCC standard has gotten crazier since they got that HD screen the size of Texas.  When I watched the auditions vote videos, I remember that Melissa was one of my favorites, but that I worried a little that judges (read: Kelli, Judy & Charlotte) would think she would need to trim down a little.  I didn't think it would be enough to keep her out of training camp, but I bet she did get the talk from Kelli.  Melissa looked beautiful at auditions, but I notice that she looks more toned in her uniform than at auditions.  Could be the natural result of living through training camp, but I bet that was the one area she had to worry about to make the team.

Also, a couple people asked about the locker that read Chandler at the start of the episode.  There was a Chandler who made it to TC, and I'm guessing she was one of the first to go.  Kind of in the Karissa category of cute and fun to watch but not a trained dancer.

Last thing:  episode 1 is now available for free on iTunes for anybody who's wanting to watch the season that way.  It looks like they're going to do short extras again like they did last season, for those who buy a season pass.  First up is a 1 minute video of different DCC saying what it means to them to be on the squad.  Jennifer K appears last, and I can see why, beyond her phenomenal dancing, Kelli and Judy find her an ideal representative of the organization.  She totally embodies the ethos of the DCC, which is probably how she got to be such an incredible performer in the first place.

Edited by M1977G
  • Love 2
That spin of Melissa's in the prelim! I'm not a dancer, and I was impressed. It was beautiful! The only time I've seen that type of spin is in figuring skating. I didn't think it would be possible on non-ice.

It's a very popular move in jazz and competition dance. Ice skaters do it with their legs held to the side of the head so that their foot is next to their ear. Dancers usually do this move with their legs held to the front so their nose is close to their knee.

I swear, every single year, we have to hear how beautiful Kelli is when she strides into  auditions. I know Kelli has an EP credit on this but damn, we get it Kelli, we get it, lol.

I'm over Vivian this year. I didn't like her when she begged at the end of last season and this season she just seems so fake to me.  Also not sure how much Melissa Rycroft I can take. I wonder if Kelli would be as "proud" of her if she hadn't won Dancing Wtih the Stars. Any other DCC who asked to come back only to quit again would be on Kelli's perennial crap list, imo.

• Love 2

@ElectricBoogaloo Thanks for the information! The only dancing spin I really know would be a pirouette (?). I remember Ashton had pretty and long turns. So when I saw Melissa's spin, she was spinning first with her leg in one position, and then she pulled it up to another while continuing her spin. That reminded me of how figure skaters are spinning and then pull their leg up mid spin. It was the first time I've seen something like that on the dance floor. Still, I never understood what the Dcc style of dance was. Is it really that much different from other squads? Sorry, Mod, I don't mean to talk about dance in this thread but since I was still mentioning Melissa, thought I keep this comment here. :)

Breaking in...

@TobyBelle  Please do not worry about your post. I know how hard it can be on here to remember which thread to post in. I have been off topic myself, and I had to move some of my posts around. *embarrassed blushing* No one is in trouble here.

That spin of Melissa's in the prelim! I'm not a dancer, and I was impressed. It was beautiful! The only time I've seen that type of spin is in figuring skating. I didn't think it would be possible on non-ice. 

People do a similar  turn in ballet but your leg would be in a different angle

I also heard the "but" regarding Melissa.  I assume Kelli thought she needed to be more toned.  Not to say she didn't look to be in great shape at auditions, but we all the know the DCC standard has gotten crazier since they got that HD screen the size of Texas.  When I watched the auditions vote videos, I remember that Melissa was one of my favorites, but that I worried a little that judges (read: Kelli, Judy & Charlotte) would think she would need to trim down a little.  I didn't think it would be enough to keep her out of training camp, but I bet she did get the talk from Kelli.  Melissa looked beautiful at auditions, but I notice that she looks more toned in her uniform than at auditions.  Could be the natural result of living through training camp, but I bet that was the one area she had to worry about to make the team.

She seemed little but bottom heavy when she was doing the kick line but i think those are just muscles not weight and that's hard to lose a lot of dancers who do modern get those thigh muscles and makes them look bottom heavy just watch so you think you can dance every girl who does modern on that show is like that

Edited by mmm

Bring It On Courtney and Tessa didn't look so "fresh as springtime" to me. Courtney just doesn't have that DCC spark and looks - I hate to say "old," but tired or not so fresh applies. Tessa is gorgeous and has a great personality for media, but if they're fearing an injury, she doesn't have enough flexibility, and she's looking a little withered (maybe that's a better word, because they don't look old, but look like they've had damage from tanning, too much makeup and maybe being too thin), I get why she wasn't chosen.

Vivian seemed fake and dramatic to me last year, and she's worse this year. She just has that "trouble waiting to happen" attitude, and I loathe sob stories that just get more and more elaborate, but don't quite add up. 

Of course, I thought Melissa Rycroft was over dramatic and annoying back in the day, too. Not a sob story or false, but annoying.

• Love 2

Good eye, @mmm!  I'm thinking this confirms the "but" we heard about her, and that they asked her to tighten up in training camp.  She looks fantastic, both at auditions and a little thinner in the uniform.  She reminds me of Elizabeth R, a beautiful dancer carrying a little extra weight.  But unlike Elizabeth, she came back having actually lost the weight and far more toned.  Kudos to her for her hard work and having the guts to audition again.  This makes me like her even more, and I already thought she was one of the prettiest rookies and the best dancer.

I noticed when they showed Kelli's prelims judging sheet (near minute 10) there was a green dot sticker next to one girl's number, and a yellow dot next to another.  Anyone know what her sticker system is about?

Maybe the stickers indicate who made it to finals or training camp before.

Or maybe those are girls who are "of interest" because they were recruited or have connections (recommended by kitty, related to someone in the DCC organization, etc.)

• Love 1

Watched the episode again. First impression of Breelan is not good. Every time the camera catches her in the background she looks bored or pissed. When she walks out to the lot after semi-finals, the body language reads as very entitled. Be interesting to see if my impression changes as the season progresses.

I was watching this episode again and I paused when Kelli went into the locker room at about 03:45-3:50 and she was flipping through huge stacks of paper. What she has there are packets of information about some of these girls. The one that is visible is about Kelli Quinn and it's an email from someone in the organization. It says "Thought I was gonna lose my mind when you passed on her last year. CMT followed her abs around both weekends. She's smart, VERY talented, kicks that are sinful, abs of P90, blonde, exotic, and much cuter than Amelia for sure."

I'm guessing that the green and yellow sticker system is something that corresponds to the information on these packets. It seems that the girls who are recommended are given a closer look, which would probably be the yellow, or are already hand picked by Kelli herself, which would be green. 

I saw the email but couldn't read it. I tried pausing it 3 times but with no luck.

Kelli Quinn just made the Mavs dancers. She was a finalist in the fan vote this year and last year. The DCCs loss is the Mavs gain.

I saw the email but couldn't read it. I tried pausing it 3 times but with no luck.

Kelli Quinn just made the Mavs dancers. She was a finalist in the fan vote this year and last year. The DCCs loss is the Mavs gain.

Kelli Quinn is AWESOMEE!! She was one of my faves. I don't understand why they passed on her they really missed out on some good talent as usual

I wonder if CMT is gonna post episode 2 up early like they did last week

I hope we figure out the sticker info.  I asked that question last week probably on another thread and no one seemed to know.  I did not see it on any other pages or on the pages of Judy or other judges.  Perhaps if they read these pages, they could fill us in on them!!!

Maybe the sticker about the people who were recruited , i read an article that Shelly roper main job is recruiting for dcc these are the people recruited by Shelly it makes the judges pay attention to them , it ill be stupid to invite someone and over-look them

I thought about the stickers being for girls who are recruited, but I think those girls get a pass to semi-finals.  Fascinating catch on that email about Kelli Q!!  She really caught my eye this year with the little bit of her dancing they showed, and then I realized she had tried out before.  I think they passed on her because of appearance.  The "outraged" email about her said she's cuter than Amelia, and I totally disagree.  I am not a fan of Kelli Q's appearance, and once I remembered her, I realize I've had that same thought the other two years she tried out.  Maybe it's the uber bleached blonde hair and heavy makeup that makes her look older, I dunno.  Beautiful dancer, though, and I'm glad to hear she made such a great team!

As for the Melissa as a judge and mentor thing, I've said I'm not a fan of hers (even less so once some of y'all quoted from her book on this site!), but someone posted (I think in the season 9 spoiler thread) the point that she actually does have more expertise about what it really takes to be a DCC than most of the judges at the table.  Very true!  She may not have been a standout DCC to me, but every DCC does have to be a pretty exceptional lady and dancer to make the squad, so thanks for the reminder, whoever posted that.  Some of these judges have no f-ing clue--for ex, the guy in season 7 who said Karissa looked better at finals than the year before (um, not at all), and then went on to say that Danielle's dancing wasn't good and lacked energy.  It's judges like this that get bad dancers like Carla and Kathryn D into training camp, and then they nudge out amazing dancers like Kelli, who I suspect, maybe just needs a makeover.  Hopefully, they'll show the judges deliberating about KQ next week.  (I totally loved the bald judge last year with the pink tie!  Especially when he blasted everyone for voting for Kathryn D for her looks when, as he put it, her dancing never should have gotten her past semis.  Tell it, judge!)  Even though folks on this site would have picked probably 20 vets before Melissa to fill this role, the reality is this is a TV show on a fairly major station that is trying to appeal to the public and draw them in, and she does have expert knowledge to help the girls in TC.  Great vets like Brooke, Nicole H, Ashton, etc would have limited appeal in this role to those who aren't familiar with them already as past DCC, and just won't draw viewers like Melissa will.  Pretty much everyone but their former teammates and people on this site would be like, Brooke who?

I agree about the judges , i wish they would have more dancers maybe the three choreographers that did last years show group , i don't mind putting judges that don't have dance experience bec the they represent regular fans but there should be people knowgable about dancer on the judging panel more than just k & J

Remember Kendall Q. who made it to the interviews last year, then became a DSIG and left during the season (either on her own or was asked)? Well she's back. Number 43 in semis behind and to the right of Vivien. Knowing how uber serious Kelli is about the 'honor' of being chosen for a team, she didn't have a snowballs chance. I' m sure the gossip flows in that Dallas teams world. Now that would be an email worth reading, haha.

• Love 1

Remember Kendall Q. who made it to the interviews last year, then became a DSIG and left during the season (either on her own or was asked)? Well she's back. Number 43 in semis behind and to the right of Vivien. Knowing how uber serious Kelli is about the 'honor' of being chosen for a team, she didn't have a snowballs chance. I' m sure the gossip flows in that Dallas teams world. Now that would be an email worth reading, haha.

Her profile was removed from the DSIG site awhile (along with her twitter) ago but she's  still on the squad photo. I always wondered what happened.

• Love 1

Note from Mod:  I have taken off the spoilers pin since the first episode is being shown tonight on the CMT channel. Please remember to post about what is shown in the episode or for previews for the next episode. Please use spoiler tags for things which could be shown in the future episodes.

Regarding that email...I missed it the first time I watched, so I rematches tonight mostly just to see it. That was totally there for the viewers. Did anyone else notice the size difference in the fonts? It was smaller at the beginning, then huge (so the viewer could read it...seriously, I could read it plain as day and we usually have trouble making out the football scores on my old, pathetic tv!). Also, portions of it were "blacked" (blurred?) out. They showed only what they wanted the viewer to see. The question is why. To say that yes, we recruit...yes, we lobby for certain girls. The email placement is just weird to me because it seems it was done with a purpose. Of course...it's Kelli Finglass...everything has a purpose. :D

So I had to pause after about 10 minutes when Vivian was all OTT about Melissa being a judge to gag. If that's a taste of what she's going to be like this year I'm going to be rooting for her butt to go home.

And I liked Melissa when she was on MTT and on DWTS and after 30 seconds of her tonight I actually said to my tv, "oh just go home, you're 15 minutes is over".

Charlotte looks odd. Something's off with her eyes or something.

I also like Ashley Michelle much better this year. Tessa not so much.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 1

I'm surprised Cassie Trammell isn't front and center as a judge instead of Melissa Rycroft!

Lol

let's just count our blessings and not give anybody any ideas ;)

I liked that one judge was one of the choreographers-he was at the front table.  I paused the show at the dots and they were at 198 & 199 which there was a slight coverage of both of them and then seemed to do well with the dancing.

After that great catch about that Kelli Q email, I tried to pause it when I rewatched the episode.  It took me four tries, and I told myself on the fourth try it would be the last one.  Lo and behold, I caught the email before she turns the page and it was from...Kitty Carter!!  That's quite an endorsement.  

Interesting observations about Breelan looking bored or entitled.  I'm not really prepared to disagree, since we haven't gotten to see much of her yet, but I'm totally agreeing yet either.  I agree that her dancing was good but not outstanding so far, and she looked more calm than most girls walking up after her name was called. But I mostly read that as her trying to keep her cool.  She auditioned last year for DCC, and made it to semi-finals (I remember her video last year, not sure if she made it to finals).  So I thought she was trying to temper her expectations and take making semis again in stride.  Since she came back, it seems to me that she really wanted to work for this, but she does know (far better than I!) what it's like to get cut.  In one of Melissa Rycroft's press appearances that someone posted earlier, Melissa said that 

she fought for Breelan throughout training camp, so it sounds like she was on the bubble a good bit. Probably for her dancing.

From the opening segment of episode one, we also know that somebody (Kitty? Kelli?) made Breelan cry, so it looks like we'll get more of a chance to see what's up with her.

Edited by M1977G
  • Love 1

I liked that one judge was one of the choreographers-he was at the front table.  I paused the show at the dots and they were at 198 & 199 which there was a slight coverage of both of them and then seemed to do well with the dancing.

The one judge in the blazer whose young that's DJ EJ that's the person responsible for the music in cowboys games , he was too busy taking pics with the girls to judge anything , i found him on twitter during auditions he posted tons of pics

After that great catch about that Kelli Q email, I tried to pause it when I rewatched the episode.  It took me four tries, and I told myself on the fourth try it would be the last one.  Lo and behold, I caught the email before she turns the page and it was from...Kitty Carter!!  That's quite an endorsement.  

Interesting observations about Breelan looking bored or entitled.  I'm not really prepared to disagree, since we haven't gotten to see much of her yet, but I'm totally agreeing yet either.  I agree that her dancing was good but not outstanding so far, and she looked more calm than most girls walking up after her name was called. But I mostly read that as her trying to keep her cool.  She auditioned last year for DCC, and made it to semi-finals (I remember her video last year, not sure if she made it to finals).  So I thought she was trying to temper her expectations and take making semis again in stride.  Since she came back, it seems to me that she really wanted to work for this, but she does know (far better than I!) what it's like to get cut.  In one of Melissa Rycroft's press appearances that someone posted earlier, Melissa said that 

she fought for Breelan throughout training camp, so it sounds like she was on the bubble a good bit. Probably for her dancing.

From the opening segment of episode one, we also know that somebody (Kitty? Kelli?) made Breelan cry, so it looks like we'll get more of a chance to see what's up with her.

Breelan made it to finals last year too

What was with the girl from Pittsburgh? Her hair was so stringy. Was it from overheating & sweating so much or does she just have bad hair? No one else seemed ad sweaty or shinny looking as her. She seems nice enough though.

• Love 1

What was with the girl from Pittsburgh? Her hair was so stringy. Was it from overheating & sweating so much or does she just have bad hair? No one else seemed ad sweaty or shinny looking as her. She seems nice enough though.

Bless her heart!  I think she just doesn't know how to do makeup well, and had no idea how to curl and spray Dallas-sized performance hair that doesn't wilt.  Is that a special Southern girl skill?  Her hair looked like it had too much product in it, making it so stringy, but product that wasn't really doing what she hoped for.  She is the one that one of the female judges was saying was a good dancer but needed a makeover.  I think a few makeup and hair lessons would go a long way for her, because she is quite cute.

I thought Megan P looked kind of thick, and I am not a fan of her haircut.  I actually think the short blunt style emphasizes her height and more athletic build, not helping the situation.  Kind of surprised she 

made training camp

, even though she is a good dancer.  

• Love 1

Bless her heart!  I think she just doesn't know how to do makeup well, and had no idea how to curl and spray Dallas-sized performance hair that doesn't wilt.  Is that a special Southern girl skill?  Her hair looked like it had too much product in it, making it so stringy, but product that wasn't really doing what she hoped for.  She is the one that one of the female judges was saying was a good dancer but needed a makeover.  I think a few makeup and hair lessons would go a long way for her, because she is quite cute.

I thought Megan P looked kind of thick, and I am not a fan of her haircut.  I actually think the short blunt style emphasizes her height and more athletic build, not helping the situation.  Kind of surprised she 

made training camp

, even though she is a good dancer.  

Megan P is a great dancer i thought she looked hot i really hope she makes it next year , the other girl name was Shannon her dancing was fine she seemed more like gymnast not a dancer i though she was kinda stiff  

Edited by mmm

The e-mail that Kitty wrote was not very nice in reference to Amelia. I'm sure they always talk about the girls' looks behind their backs, but to allow that to be shown on national television is plain wrong. 

• Love 1

I felt bad for the girls who were heavy/fat/overweight/obese by DDC standards. I guess if you put yourself out there on a reality show & DDC you have to expect that. Of course, having random camera shots of said girls and rude comments probably won't help you in the self esteem department. Has there ever been a "heavy" girl who tried out who was a killer dancer, awesome personality & pretty that Kelli & company had to come up with a reason to can them?

I felt bad for the girls who were heavy/fat/overweight/obese by DDC standards. I guess if you put yourself out there on a reality show & DDC you have to expect that. Of course, having random camera shots of said girls and rude comments probably won't help you in the self esteem department. Has there ever been a "heavy" girl who tried out who was a killer dancer, awesome personality & pretty that Kelli & company had to come up with a reason to can them?

They're not shy about saying girls are heavy by any means. The "heaviest" girl by DCC standards I can think of who made it to training camp was Elizabeth Reuter, and she was let go only because of weight. So...they don't have to come up with a reason for anything, lol.

There was a girl Denisha (?) who was in Season 1- I think they mentioned she weighed (or looked, can't remember) around 140. Jay said he'd never seen a cheerleader that heavy. Did she quit? I think she did.

Sort of the opposite of Greg Brady aka Johnny Bravo. She (didn't) fit the suit?! Also, my favorite analysis of this show is, "you're fat, you're ugly, you can't dance & you don't fit the suit". And, they reply with a smile and say, " Yes, ma'am!". It cracks me up everytime. LOL!!

I felt bad for the girls who were heavy/fat/overweight/obese by DDC standards. I guess if you put yourself out there on a reality show & DDC you have to expect that. Of course, having random camera shots of said girls and rude comments probably won't help you in the self esteem department.

The "lol what were they thinking?" montage during the first episode has gotten more about looks than it used to in my opinion. They used to show a few people who got lost or couldn't dance, but now they focus mostly on women who have a couple extra pounds on them or aren't wearing 50 layers of makeup. I know it's not a "nice" show, but it seems very mean to me.

I found it funny when Kelli skipped over that chunk of Melissa's resume that involved her getting dumped for a smart girl on national television.

Edited by MaryWebGirl
  • Love 1

I found it funny when Kelli skipped over that chunk of Melissa's resume that involved her getting dumped for a smart girl on national television.

i never watched the bachelor but no smart girl goes on the bachelor

• Love 2

The "lol what were they thinking?" montage during the first episode has gotten more about looks than it used to in my opinion. They used to show a few people who got lost or couldn't dance, but now they focus mostly on women who have a couple extra pounds on them or aren't wearing 50 layers of makeup. I know it's not a "nice" show, but it seems very mean to me.

I agree it's not especially nice entertainment at others' expense, but these women do know what they are trying out for, and that the show is aired internationally.  I noticed that most of the comments in that segment were about appearance and not the dancing, so I see the point @MaryWebGirl is making about the seeming difference this year.  However, not even one of the women shown in that segment this year was a good dancer, and most were really bad.  So for me, the auditions question of what were they thinking isn't just about not having the DCC look, it's about people who try out who have no idea what it takes to be a professional performer, and a lot of people who see themselves, um, differently than others do.  I feel badly for some of these women, but not all of them. 

The e-mail that Kitty wrote was not very nice in reference to Amelia. I'm sure they always talk about the girls' looks behind their backs, but to allow that to be shown on national television is plain wrong.

I agree completely. If I were Amelia (who is gorgeous) and I saw that on television I wouldn't be happy at all. It seems a bit mean to single out one girl who has been on the team for like 3 years and say someone else is "way cuter". Maybe Amelia and Kelli are friends so she was comparing them because of that.

Still. It makes me like Kitty a lot less than I already did.

but anywho Shannon the girl who Kelli said makeup looked muddy and didn't have the so called DCC look made the cavs dance team. She was a really good dancer and in really good shape I feel like they could of fixed her makeup and hair during makeovers (if this is the reason she was cut after finals) but I guess we'll find out Friday why she doesn't make it to training camp if they decide to feature her again on the next episode

• Love 2