Type keyword(s) to search

Ethan and Olivia

• Start Topic

On 9/20/2023 at 6:57 PM, For Cereals said:

@jean jean

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPR7N84oY/

Olivia’s take on the credit card

Wow, that was something to listen to, wasn't it? But it alllll makes so much more sense. I loathe that Barry is getting a sympathetic take this season as the dumped devoted dad, because he's as evil and depraved as Kim is. What pieces of trash those two are. 

Edited by surfgirl
  • Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, surfgirl said:

Wow, that was something to listen to, wasn't it? Biw it alllll makes so much more sense. I loathe that Barry is getting a sympathetic take this season as the dumped devoted dad, because he's as evil and depraved as Kim is. What pieces of trash those two are. 

What is it with these fundie families scamming their kids out of money?  I don't recall that anywhere in the Bible where Jesus recommends that parents take money from their minor kids.  Yet, we've got the Bates allowing Lawson to support them for years, Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar lying to their kids about being paid to do their show and now Kim and Barry stealing MLM money and merchandise from Ethan for themselves.

I speculated a couple weeks ago that Kim was ordering products for herself using Ethan's credit card and that's exactly what happened.  I didn't realize she actually told him he would benefit because all the purchases would lead to extra merchandise and prizes for him from the company, all the while giving him no access to his account and using all his bonuses herself.  It takes a special kind of mom to do that to their own flesh and blood.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

Wow. just watched the video.  Kim is even worse than I thought.  I thought she was just buying more stuff than she was paying Ethan for, but she started the agreement saying she was only going to pay him half.  My jaw was on the floor at that point.  Good for Ethan for making the decision once he was married to get out of that bad deal.  Obviously ripping off your minor children is yet another tenet of fundie religion right along with sexual abuse and cheating on your spouse.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

I know you’re “supposed” to feel sadness when a marriage ends, but I’m happy for them both. No mortgage, no kids, presumably no retirement accounts. All of the hard stuff to split up doesn’t exist here. They’re both young and have a lifetime ahead of them. 

It became more obvious the longer they were together that Olivia was growing toward a life unlike the one she had known and Ethan was not.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1

So Lydia Grace was right.  Ethan and Olivia are finally divorcing.  I get that Olivia must've been upset her sister leaked the news of the separation before she was ready apparently.  Nonetheless, responding to the tea Lydia spilled by releasing a statement that you and your sister are still estranged, basically, so she has no idea what she's talking out - and then releasing another statement just a few weeks later that confirms she was spot on - is kinda dumb.

And wow - that's the second Plath family marraige to collapse in as many years.  Lydia (Plath, not Grace) must be lying on the couch with an epic case of the vapors right about now.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 8

Well I'm sad for them on the one hand, but happy for Olivia because she deserves the life she wants. It's too bad that Ethan is so immature and close minded because I fear he's headed for a life like he grew up in, despite having seen the world with Olivia. 

I do think that when Olivia meets a man who is from a more normal background, she will be blown away at how different that relationship will be compared to the funtionally illiterate manboy that Ethan is. He will never grow up, and I think he will always use his fundie background to.fall back on because deep.down he is terrified to grow beyond the ahit show he was raised in. And that? Is Kim abd Barry's greatest crime as the culty, shit parents they are.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
On 10/28/2023 at 3:50 PM, SabineElisabeth said:

So Lydia Grace was right.  Ethan and Olivia are finally divorcing.  I get that Olivia must've been upset her sister leaked the news of the separation before she was ready apparently.  Nonetheless, responding to the tea Lydia spilled by releasing a statement that you and your sister are still estranged, basically, so she has no idea what she's talking out - and then releasing another statement just a few weeks later that confirms she was spot on - is kinda dumb

I am not sure what estrangement from Lydia Grace you are talking about; Olivia posted on IG that they were together just last weekend. 

I think the Plath kids are so messed up from their upbringing, they have a hard time dealing with relationships.  

Ethan was so child-like in many ways.  I do think it's sad when a marriage ends.  There wasn't abuse or drug use, alcoholism, or anything like that, so I always think things can be salvageable if people are willing to try to communicate.  Ethan is such a bad communicator though.  Did they go to counseling?  

Well, I wish them both well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Same here, butbIndo thinking in Olivia's best interest. Having a relationship with a normal, emotionally intelligent man will blow her mind compared to the ahit show she has with Ethan and his family.

I have really lost all respect for Micah, he's turned into a piece of ahit pretty quickly. Moriah always was. That they made a public stink over a story they had no firsthand knowledge if and that by Ethan's own admission Olivia was telling the truth about the Kim and the credit card situation, they all need to just STFU.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
On 10/30/2023 at 7:41 PM, MamaGee said:

I am not sure what estrangement from Lydia Grace you are talking about; Olivia posted on IG that they were together just last weekend. 

Ah, thanks for the heads up!  You're right - it wasn't Lydia Grace, but another one of her sisters.  Nonetheless, I didn't think her response was dumb because of which sister leaked the news - and I still think it was dumb lol.

At the end of June, she posted the below in response to one of her sisters saying she and Ethan are divorcing.  Personally, I think I would've handled the situation a bit differently - i.e. without being so quick to publically say my sister didn't know what she's talking about when it fact, she was right - as confirmed by Olivia and Ethan's recent posts announcing they're divorcing. 

"A friend informed me of this post so I just wanted to take a second and clarify.  Sophia is my younger sister, but her and I have a very distant/strained relationship due to our worldviews and reactions to the ultra-religious world we were raised in. Subsequently, she actually isn’t a reliable source when it comes to my personal information as she doesn’t know about my personal life. There is a lot of speculation going around, but if Ethan and I had something to share, we would. Thanks!” 

• Like 1

Ethan basically said that his schooling was tinkering with his cars and fixing things, not sitting down with books learning actual math, history or God forbid science. I feel sorry for all of them. They are stunted in every way and one by one they’re all gonna run back to the fundie farm. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I've been puzzled why Barry seems so angry with Olivia (see:  "brainwashing" comment.)  Yet he's never spoken an ill word to the camera of Kim's betrayal and abandonment, something she's yet to adequately explain.  (The "I just wanna be happy" doesn't cut it.  I don't buy it for a minute.)

Barry had actually been starting to win me over recently until that brainwashing snarking, and had been the slightly more rational one compared to Kim in all things-Olivia. 

So what happened?

I think I've figured it out.  

Like Micah and Moriah, Barry has found a convenient scapegoat in Olivia.  He may be blaming Olivia for introducing the ills of the world upon the purity of the Plaths.  Her contamination surely brought sin into the camp, leading to the destruction of his marriage, even!  It's all Olivia's fault!

That would certainly be a less bitter pill for Barry to swallow than accepting that his wife just hooked up with a new honey and is lying about it.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
9 minutes ago, Fouts said:

I've been puzzled why Barry seems so angry with Olivia (see:  "brainwashing" comment.)  Yet he's never spoken an ill word to the camera of Kim's betrayal and abandonment, something she's yet to adequately explain. 

I thought it was because Barry's a hen-pecked cuck.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2

After some snooping on Instagram, I see that Olivia hasn’t posted a picture with Ethan in it since April.  Ethan didn’t post any pics throughout the summer.  FYI, it appears that in Minnesota, you have to live there for at least six months prior to filing.  Once it’s filed,  the divorce can be granted within months.

While Ethan was rattling on the things that he and Olivia agreed on when they first got together, he mentioned politics.  Now they are diametrically opposed.  Except he didn’t use three syllable words.

• Like 4

I didn't start watching the show until season 2 and only saw clips of the first season up until now.  I just went back and watched the first few episodes.  I found it both sad and enlightening.  Amazing how everything was already there while so much changed.  

Some observations:

1.  Sad to see the tender love between Ethan and Olivia and the dedication and support Ethan had towards Olivia. 

2.  Ethan is and was such a man/child and nearly incapable of open communication, especially with difficult subjects.   

3.  Olivia showed an impressive level of maturity for her age, particularly given her own sheltered childhood.  I am impressed by her confidence and intuitive nature about people.  She also appears to me to have had excellent professional advice of some kind to help her navigate interactions with the Plaths, notably Kim.  

4.  Olivia was not the instigator in events that freaked out and threatened Kim and Barry, such as when Moriah invited Ethan and Olivia over during Barry and Kim's anniversary trip.  Olivia was like, hmm, I don't know if we should, while Ethan cried let's go! 

5.  Micah expressed an interest in modeling and Moriah in music.  Olivia listened and then helped guide them on a path towards those goals.  They were utterly clueless how to proceed otherwise.  

6.  Olivia showed great patience and thoughtfulness to Micah, Moriah and Ethan.  She didn't push her own agenda but just responded to what they said in a supportive way.  

7.  Olivia was direct though polite in expressing contrary opinions to Kim.  Kim wasn't used to people ever questioning her, no matter what.  Kim was threatened by Olivia and threatening to her.  

8.  Kim running over their toddler completely screwed up Kim.  Barry apparently did whatever it took to appease Kim afterwards.  It doesn't appear to me that either of them got any therapy that could have done them so much good.  Instead it left them even more damaged and flawed, and their children suffered for it greatly.  

9.  Kim and Barry portray a close and loving connection and marriage in these early shows--not all that long ago.  Either they were lying then or Kim is lying now.  (I suspect that latter and that Kim has had her new honey for a lot longer than she claims.)

10.  Nothing mattered more to Kim than control.  I suspect she went into high gear with this after running over her child.  Plus she's a narcissist and control's like oxygen to them.  (Now nothing matters more than her new boyfriend.)  

11.  Kim's punishment of keeping Olivia and Ethan away from the younger siblings planted an early seed of damage to Ethan and Olivia's marriage.  Kim knew that those relationships were important to Ethan and would cause him pain.  It was her biggest card to play and she played it, no matter how many people it damaged.  I suspect Kim feels satisfaction at their recent break-up announcement.  

• Like 6
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 2

@Fouts- wow, what an insightful post. I've always had a soft spot for Olivia. No doubt she has made mistakes, but it seems Ethan is damaged beyond redemption in terms of leaving his past. I teach preK, and many of my students can convey thoughts, needs, wants and  feelings better than Ethan. It's tragic and both his parents share the blame. Ethan may find some nice Cairo girl and be happy tinkering with cars all day. Glad they chose not to have children.

Edited by BAForever
Clarity
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
20 hours ago, Fouts said:

9.  Kim and Barry portray a close and loving connection and marriage in these early shows--not all that long ago.  Either they were lying then or Kim is lying now.  (I suspect that latter and that Kim has had her new honey for a lot longer than she claims.)

Oh, yeah...and Kim will rightously justify anything she wants to do...no matter whom it may hurt or damage. This is merely #9 in your post of eleven insightful comments.  You should be a writer/producer on this show and steer the "stars" in better directions.  Kim should be shown the door!  

• Like 5
On 9/8/2021 at 1:18 AM, rbr333 said:

Ethan is going to lose the best thing in his life if he continues to shut Olivia h and non communicate to the point of arrogance and selfishness.

The best thing in his life?  She trashed his mother on social media.  I don’t care if what she said was true that forced the siblings to choose sides.  
She is just as manipulative as his mother.  Ethan hasn’t changed she has yhat is not Ethan’s fault 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I like Olivia and admire that she has been able to outgrow the tiny little bubble she was raised in.

I don’t find her manipulative. She has set clear boundaries and communicates clearly about the things she cares about. She refuses to be the scapegoat the Plath family desperately wants.

She has outgrown Ethan and they want different things in life. It happens to couples. I hope they can both find partners they are more compatible with.

• Like 8
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1

Add me to the pro Olivia side of things.  That girl is doing amazingly considering all the difficulties she's been through.  The Plaths (all of them) have absolutely thrown her under the bus in order to avoid dealing with their own issues.  She was assigned the scapegoat role.

1) Kim absolutely had an exit plan lined up early on (even if it wasn't a full on affair)

2) micha and mariha (sp?) are immature and happy to parrot the family "speak" rather than form opinions of their own.

3) Barry is creepy disconnected.  He uses lifting weights to crowd out thoughts and emotions.

4) Ethan is a man child and has ZERO plans to change that.  He literally said "It's easier to get my way by just lying about what I'm doing".  He is a toddler.

Olivia deserves so much better than this mess of a "family".  The Plaths are the worst.

Seeing that flashback to Ethan/Olivia's wedding was heartbreaking.  Olivia's voice was so tiny and compliant as she vowed to "obey and follow" toddler Ethan. 

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3

Olivia is not manipulative in my opinion.  She has grown up and learned everything is not the way her parents taught her and the Plaths taught Ethan.  Just because she's not the meek little girl that married Ethan does not mean she is being manipulative.  She just doesn't want to deal with the bull from the Plath family.  

It seems to me Ethan wants to curl up with his cars and go back to the way life was before he was married, and before Kim and Berry separated (I don't think they are officially divorced, but I'm not sure).  When he was talking about wanting his kids homeschooled while a few weeks ago he was calling Kim out on her lack of homeschooling just made me roll my eyes.  I'm not anti-homeschooling, but I would hope the person doing the homeschooling has the ability to teach his/her kids.  

Micah and Moriah enjoyed it when Ethan and Olivia let them live with them. Olivia introduced them to the world and now they are trashing Olivia.  

OK, I will give Ethan credit because he did tell Micah what happened with Olivia and Moriah's music and Ethan was supportive of Olivia saying "This is what happened."  

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

Olivia is  the one person on the show who has grown (of main characters, I was impressed by Amber last night).  Kim's gone back to being a selfish teenybopper, Ethan is still a toddler, who despite his own lack of knowledge and education, wants to raise kids just like he was raised, Moriah is a mess, Micah just doesn't want to deal with anything that isn't easy, pleasant, and uncomplicated. Barry is trying to be a good father, but his views are in his way, and he's just creepy.  On the other hand, Olivia has come to terms with how she was raised, and wants nothing to do with that way of life, because she knows how limiting it has been for her and Ethan. When she was talking to Ethan's cousin, and said she was afraid to try college, because she had never been in a school in her life, I felt so bad for her.  She could do it, and maybe once she is free of her toddler husband, she will.  Bartending, and running her bridal photography business are fine, but she could take photography and business classes,  one or two at a time, and feel better about herself.  

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
On 11/6/2023 at 7:10 AM, BAForever said:

Ethan may find some nice Cairo girl and be happy tinkering with cars all day. Glad they chose not to have children.

There's probably not a "they" in that equation.  She could see that SHE would be the one unhappily burdened with homeschooling--which she doesn't value at all due to her experience.  Ethan is incapable.  I doubt if he reads at a third grade level (which is pretty good).

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I used to root for Ethan and Olivia to find middle ground somewhere, but it's clear that isn't going to happen.  Ethan is so petulant now and he has said and done so many hurtful things to Olivia that she is just done.  One thing that stood out to me was that when they were in Tampa, he never got a job.  He alternately sat on the couch feeling sorry for himself and watching TV with Moriah or running back to Cairo to hide with his cars.  Once he got what he wanted and they moved to Minnesota, then he got a job and at least was around some in the beginning.  But then he went right back to his old habits.  I'm glad they ended things before there was a child involved.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Olivia is a beautiful, well spoken young woman. Ethan is a man child who would rather kiss ass in the cult he was raised in. I’m thrilled for her that she’s done with him, and the fact that he said he didn’t want her influencing his children is just the final nail in that coffin. He’s afraid of his kids not parroting the dipshit and the bitch who raised him. His best bet is to dip back into the Fundy well and try to find another one. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
On 11/8/2023 at 10:00 AM, Grammy6 said:

Olivia is  the one person on the show who has grown (of main characters, I was impressed by Amber last night).

Amber is definitely the most beautiful of them all.  If she can stay away from the thick foundation, she won't have as many complexion problems as Moriah and Lydia.  She's a deep thinker and Kim can't con her.

• Like 4
On 10/29/2023 at 7:44 PM, surfgirl said:

I do think that when Olivia meets a man who is from a more normal background, she will be blown away at how different that relationship will be compared to the funtionally illiterate manboy that Ethan is. He will never grow up, and I think he will always use his fundie background to.fall back on because deep.down he is terrified to grow beyond the ahit show he was raised in. And that? Is Kim abd Barry's greatest crime as the culty, shit parents they are.

I assume I'll continue to watch the show...but WHY should I have to "be with" Ethan when I'd rather support Olivia?  There's probably not enough "there" there for a spinoff for her.  Some wealthy secular human should give Olivia a full-ride scholarship to a university that will REALLY open her eyes; her heart is already open.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 11/9/2023 at 6:15 PM, JayDub1987 said:

He’s afraid of his kids not parroting the dipshit and the bitch who raised him. His best bet is to dip back into the Fundy well and try to find another one. 

Perhaps he would have been better off with Nurie Rodrigues since it was unlikely she would ever have a thought of her own.  I know he said Jill tried to get the two of them together, but he wasn't interested.

Because I have no life I was thinking about the credit card mess.  I realized that Ethan threw Olivia under the bus on that.  Once he decided he no longer wanted to buy the MLM products and no longer wanted the arrangement with Kim, it was on him to communicate that to her, but he never did.  So it was left to Olivia to refuse to give Kim the new passcode which made it all look like Olivia's idea.  And Ethan took his sweet time communicating to Moriah and Micah that what Olivia said about the credit card situation was all true.  I pity the next woman who falls for his apple pie act.  He can be as much of a snake as Kim.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

I pity the next woman who falls for his apple pie act. 

Children learn what they live.

My guess is, he'll find someone else within the community that Mom and Dad will not approve of and it'll start all over again, but this time without the cameras.

My guess is that this show is about done.  There's nothing attractive about these very damaged individuals.  They've lost whatever attraction they had with the outside world, kind of like the Browns and the Duggars and all those of this ilk.  Once the shine is off, we see just how bad these people are and they no longer hold interest.

• Like 3

I think it's possible for couples with opposite political or religious beliefs to stay happily married (see James Carville and Mary Matalin).  But that only works if both parties not only respect and love each other, but prioritize their marriage above their differences, no questions asked.  It really needs to be them against the world, with their contrary ideologies entering way far down the ladder of importance.  

Even with Olivia's evolution of beliefs, I believe Olivia and Ethan could have made their marriage work had it not been for the toxicity emanating from the greater Plath family.  With Kim leading the army, they did their best to hurt and undermine Olivia with lies and manipulation. 

Ethan lacked the tools to manage the onslaught for very long, largely because of how his parents screwed up his childhood.  They produced a man-child without skills of communication and conflict resolution, amongst a great many other deficiencies.  (Ethan did have one bright-shining moment on the Plath driveway, but unfortunately that didn't last.)

I also believe Olivia wouldn't have rejected her faith to such a degree had it not been for all the harm imposed upon her by her in-laws, scary people who used a toxic version of their faith to justify their assault on her.  

Ultimately, the Plath family succeeded in their goal to drive a wedge between Olivia and Ethan.  Ethan made the decision to go team Plath instead of defending his wife.  It was his choice.  I'll never forget his terrifying Olivia in the car, doing snowy donuts despite her clear and reasonable protests.  Ethan seemed to take pleasure in upsetting her.  Once a marriage reaches that level of contempt, it's essentially dead.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2

The truly telling moment that marked the end of their marriage was Ethan saying he wanted kids, but not with Olivia.  I related that concept to dear Hubby last night (he had seem a commercial for the show on another channel).  He told me that Olivia should walk out after that, as it was clear, from his viewpoint that Ethan didn’t care about her.

Dear Hubby saw the commercial where Olivia walks out.  He said Ethan was a fool because Olivia is hot and he shouldn’t let her get away.  😂 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

Agree with the Plath family or not Ethan didn’t change Olivia did and there is nothing wrong with that.  Olivia loved at the beginning when she was the teacher and Ethan was the student.  Exposing him to many new things and he lapped it up.  Now he doesn’t do everything she wants and it’s an issue.

Micah spoke his truth and there are many people that see Olivia as a manipulator.

Olivia boycotting of the service for 17 month old Jonathan (I think that’s his name) was the last straw for me.

I thought it was bad enough when she boycotted the Plth family from attending Moriah’s first paying gig.  She made Moriah chose and that was bad enough but with the gravesite reaction ???  Narcissist at its best it’s always about Olivia and HER feelings.

SHE should have reached out without the mandate of we need to talk about serious things.  She could have had the first get together be easier and lead up to a comfort so they could build but nope that did not work for Olivia!

• Like 2

Boohoo Olivia she is losing someone and rather than work together both are at such polar opposites there is no way back.  So off you go Olivia go with your non patriotic, progressive viewpoints  and let us know how that works out for you