Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: And the Détente Had a End...

• Start Topic

Julius fights to defend himself in Wackner’s court in a surreal and harrowing effort to reclaim his car and his dignity--all because of an alleged parking violation. Meanwhile, after focus group feedback threatens to sink Del Cooper's reality show about Wacker, both Marissa and Wackner embrace different tactics to help revive the court.

Original air date: August 12, 2021

I was on the fence with regards to Wackner sentencing someone to prison last week, and this week I think the storyline is just too much.  Wackner creating fake parking zones and fining people, towing their cars, using the real police to take people into custody is just a giant lawsuit waiting to happen.  It's one thing for people to voluntarily agree to let him arbitrate their claims.  It's another for him to act like an arm of the state and force people before him under penalty of imprisonment or fines.  I also wondered if there was more to Julius' trial and they cut it for time or some other reason.  They seemed to cut away from and resolve the story just as things were getting very ugly. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I was on the fence with regards to Wackner sentencing someone to prison last week, and this week I think the storyline is just too much.  Wackner creating fake parking zones and fining people, towing their cars, using the real police to take people into custody is just a giant lawsuit waiting to happen.  It's one thing for people to voluntarily agree to let him arbitrate their claims.  It's another for him to act like an arm of the state and force people before him under penalty of imprisonment or fines.  I also wondered if there was more to Julius' trial and they cut it for time or some other reason.  They seemed to cut away from and resolve the story just as things were getting very ugly. 

I completely agree.  This has gone far enough.  Wackner needs to be cut down to size and his tv show cancelled and trashed.  That whole designated parking spot thing is ridiculous.  In a city like Chicago?  I know it would never fly in NYC or DC.

I have a feeling that Marissa will turn out to be the star of the show thanks to her editor admirer and Wackner will be very put out by that.  Speaking of Marissa, isn't she supposed to be studying law or something?

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Linderhill said:

I completely agree.  This has gone far enough.  Wackner needs to be cut down to size and his tv show cancelled and trashed.  That whole designated parking spot thing is ridiculous.  In a city like Chicago?  I know it would never fly in NYC or DC.

I have a feeling that Marissa will turn out to be the star of the show thanks to her editor admirer and Wackner will be very put out by that.  Speaking of Marissa, isn't she supposed to be studying law or something?

The end scene with the credits made me think: is "Warner court" meant to be a satire of the show?

• Love 1

I generally love this show, for the demented level of woke, PC and TDS.

But Wackner is too much. The joke (if it was supposed to be one) should have begun and ended in the same episode. Now, episode after episode, I am watching virtually nothing but his crap 'court' and the ridiculous antics therein.

I won't let 'Judge' Wackner waste any more of my time with the juvenile rubbish that has been forthcoming to date. I will continue watching, but from now on, the first sign of Wackner in any episode and I will terminate the episode and find something else to watch.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 4

I think we are supposed to see how quickly things can go from interesting to OMG WTF are they doing.  It's scary and unfortunately there are people who would like nothing more than to have a court not governed by laws.

20 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

I HATE Wanda Sykes! She ruined Blackish & now she is going to ruin this show!

I like Wanda Sykes.  I'm curious to see what she does with the role.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  I just think that she is not that good an actress.  I hope I'm wrong but it seems to me that they are setting her up to have memory problems (perhaps dementia?) and because her character is such a revered figure, nobody will want to call her on it.  If I'm right, that is such a tired storyline.

Maybe I'm just cranky because I LOVE this show and this is the very first episode where I'm getting "Jump-the-shark" vibes but I hope I'm wrong!!

• Love 1

This is ridiculous.  It’s one thing, maybe, if someone agrees to be bound by this”court.”  Clearly Julius has not.  Wackner is guilty of kidnapping.  If he really has some power, somehow, from the city, then he is denying due process as a government actor and the city could be sued as well.  

• Love 10
On 8/13/2021 at 12:29 AM, Linderhill said:

Yeah, this was a rough episode for those of us who are craving real court cases and can't stand Marissa getting her massive ego inflated even more.

I do love Wanda Sykes, though, and was happy to see her. And I like Julius getting a storyline but this wasn't it.

I have to say, I didn't find Liz all that interesting until we got Liz without Adrian. I miss Delroy Lindo but there's something freer and livelier about Liz now.

• Love 2

It's all fun and games until a kangaroo court starts stealing people's property and threatening to hold them prisoner if they don't pay to get it back. Like there aren't real laws enforced by real courts against extortion, kidnapping, and theft.

I get what the show is trying to do with the Wackner thing but it's so infuriating to watch how easily the insanity of it gets normalized because $$$$. And I also feel like they're largely preaching to the choir.

I'm iffy on Wanda Sykes. I didn't like her on Black-ish but I did like her recently on a new comedy series called The Upshaws. However, I'm decidedly not a fan of her stand-up, which I fear works against her for me with TGF. We'll see how it goes.

Someone on reddit pointed out that in her decades on the Supreme Court, RBG only had one Black clerk. If that was someone who's now represented the way they are on this show, I have to wonder if the producers are as big of fans of RBG as it appears on the surface via Diane's reveries.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Someone on reddit pointed out that in her decades on the Supreme Court, RBG only had one Black clerk. If that was someone who's now represented the way they are on this show, I have to wonder if the producers are as big of fans of RBG as it appears on the surface via Diane's reveries.

Why would it be the producers? She is clearly Diane's ideal.

However, I think it's noteworthy that the investigator jay had four imaginary people who disagreed with themselves. Jesus, Marx, King and Malcolm X. Instead, the two people Diane have discussed about her dilemma are RBG and her Republican husband and from both she got advice that she liked. That is, she chose beforehand to discuss with anybody who could have challenged her! And, as I have said earlier, did she challenge RBG's choice, especially that her motivations (in the show) were pure personal.

Now, I am saying that Diane did wrong. Her dilemma is such that are good reasons for both solutions.

On 8/13/2021 at 2:07 PM, ifionlyknew said:

I am a big fan of hers from The New Adventures of Old Christine and Curb Your Enthusiasm!  She's wonderful.

The rest of this episode?  Bleh.

I keep hoping to see CCH Pounder. I thought she signed up. Yeah, this episode was just stupid. I do like Julius and wish he had more to do but still, Michael Boatman has great comedic chops going back to Spin City. I even liked him as a serial killer on Criminal Minds...one of the only episodes I would rewatch of that show. 

I know this show is all about eccentric lawyers and judges but Wanda Syke's character seems more than a little flighty.

Love Diane's visions of RGB. The actress playing RGB really captures what iI saw IRL of the late Justice's intellect, humour and wisdom.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 1