Type keyword(s) to search

Olympics commercials

• Start Topic

All of the above are good choices, that ad with the Paralympian being adopted from Russia & her parents being told her legs will have to be amputated brings me to tears every time.  The cat named Walter is a hoot!  And the Dick's ad is powerful, and the little girl directing the music is wonderful. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, selkie said:

I'm a sucker for Chevy's cat that thinks he's a dog ad

I dislike that commercial. The guy is to obsessed with his truck to notice how awesome his cat is.

The Nike commercial, with its vision of what sports might look like in the future, is a bit odd.  The images/scenes flash by so quickly, it's hard to even tell what is going on.  The only thing I think I heard is that the WNBA is more watched than the NBA, an old Diana Taurasi in a wheelchair launching some video game, and "whatever sport this is".

2 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

All of the above are good choices, that ad with the Paralympian being adopted from Russia & her parents being told her legs will have to be amputated brings me to tears every time. 

Yes! My friend and I were just talking about it the other day and both of us started tearing up. "I can't wait to meet her..." 😭♥️😭

• Love 5

There are many nice Olympic commercials that everyone has described above, I do have a soft spot for the cat who thinks he's a dog,  My issue is that there only seem to be about 10-15 of them, and when you're spending hours on the weekend watching the Olympics, you see them over and over and over again. I've gotten pretty good at muting them. 😄

• Love 4

I am not a big Teams fan, but I have to admit they nailed it with the cat café commercial.  The yakitori one isn't bad, either (and makes me hungry!).

I'm very impressed with Maggie Q in The Protégé trailers.  

OTOH, the Geico lizard drives me crazy and I am also not a fan of the Silverado commercials. 

I feel like advertisers were reliant more on athletes who had already proven themselves or had retired rather than trying to capture the next big thing.  I saw ads with Gabby Douglas, Missy Franklin, Michael Phelps, and then of course Simone , Ladecky, and Ryan Murphy (who according to the small print does not take the medicine he is in the commercial for).  Not sure who the "up and comers" would have been this Olympics, but no one was willing to give them a shot at selling stuff on TV.

• Love 1

I appreciate that the Subway commercial just leans into Tom Brady being a dick.

As heart-warming as the Jessica Long commercial is (and also technically interesting), I feel like I see it every commercial break.

As much Olympics as I’ve watched, I haven’t seen many of the ads mentioned above!

Edited by Souris
  • Love 2

The Geico ad with the rap band helping with dessert is hilarious.  I especially love that the couple ends up dancing in the kitchen while the teenaged daughter stalks off in disgust.

Comcast (I think?) is running a nice series on "the athletes of tomorrow," based on the happenings of these Olympics.

1 minute ago, SophiaD said:

The Geico ad with the rap band helping with dessert is hilarious.  I especially love that the couple ends up dancing in the kitchen while the teenaged daughter stalks off in disgust.

Comcast (I think?) is running a nice series on "the athletes of tomorrow," based on the happenings of these Olympics.

That Geico ad predated the Olympics. It's been around for a while. It's pretty funny though. 😊

• Love 2
On 8/4/2021 at 6:38 PM, MaryMitch said:

I like the Wells Fargo VISA commercial with Katie Ledecky deciding she wants to learn archery. It's cute!

I love this commercial because I also have moments of "Wow, I'm really into this!" but instead of going out and learning how to do it just watch more of it. I guess that's why she's an Olympian with multiple medals and I'm the opposite of that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I don't believe that Michael Phelps would really train on a Nordic Track, when everyone knows that Peloton is best of brand.

The Laurie Hernandez spot is odd.  Oh, SHE'S not the one on the diabetes drug....it's her dad!  Is that her father's voiceover during the commercial?  Not really impactful other than a very loose tie to the Olympics.

Loving the "Thank You Allyson" commercial, where it was literally played minutes after her 400M bronze with race footage, intercut with a young kid running on the track.  And then they did it again after the 4x400 gold, changing out the race footage again for the relay race.  Of course, I can't remember who the company was.

21 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

The Laurie Hernandez spot is odd.  Oh, SHE'S not the one on the diabetes drug....it's her dad!  Is that her father's voiceover during the commercial?  Not really impactful other than a very loose tie to the Olympics.

There have been a few commercials for drugs with athletes who do not take those drugs. I guess the implication we're' supposed to get from these are "Take our medicine and you could also have the good health of an Olympian!"

28 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

It's even odder when you read the fine print in the commercial -- Laurie Hernandez's dad is diabetic but doesn't even take the drug being advertised.  

I always liked her and am glad she's cashing in on some sweet endorsement money, but that makes no sense at all. 

• Love 1
On 8/7/2021 at 10:45 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

That Geico ad predated the Olympics. It's been around for a while. It's pretty funny though. 😊

Actually, the Jessica Long commercial also predates the Olympics and debuted at the Superbowl. Toyota might have kept it on the shelf since then though.

3 hours ago, Rickster said:

Actually, the Jessica Long commercial also predates the Olympics and debuted at the Superbowl. Toyota might have kept it on the shelf since then though.

I missed it during the Super Bowl. The 5000 times I saw it during the Olympics more than made up for it. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2