Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: E Is For Elevator

• Start Topic

(edited)

Season 1 Kristen watched Horror movies with her kids because she wanted to show them they weren’t real.  She made them also watch how the monsters were made after.   “The Elevator Game” is in a long line of spooky kids games that get investigated by these kinds of shows but having Kristen outright being told about it by her own kids is a clever way to skip the middle man or the long investigation.  Plus of course her kids would want to play once they hear about it.

I liked the message Ben ended up leaving David and Kristen as a possible “last message”.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 9

....all right, well, that was scary as hell. 

Oh, my god. Ben. I want to hug him. That was terrifying. The moment he tried calling out to that person laying there I was like, '...no, you REALLY don't want to do that." Ick. So much ick. Mandvi really sold Ben's sheer panic and despair. And then his messages he was leaving for everyone, and his realization that he had nobody to hold in his potential final moments...seriously, can I hug him? 

(On the note of him having nobody, so, clearly things ain't going so hot with him and Vanessa, then. Yeah, that whole "sister attached to my arm" thing would probably be a pretty big dealbreaker. It was nice to see her again, though, and I liked her helping out a bit with the case.)

And then Kristen. God, that whole scene had me backing up into my couch. No. Way. Would I dare play that game. No. Fucking. Way. Just the description alone at the beginning was enough to freak me out. And I totally get why Kristen's kids wanted to join in on it, but uh, yeah, nope. Thank goodness they were lucky to escape the really scary stuff, though I can't help wondering if even trying to play the game at all put them at risk. Kind the way the AR game from last season did. 

I did enjoy Ben getting to interact with the girls again, though :D. That was fun. 

Really liked everything with David this episode as well, with him wanting to address serious issues in his sermons, and the pushback he was getting from his superiors over it. And of course Leland would try and exploit that division as well. I wonder if he'll take that one guy up on his offer to go work at that other church, or at least, come and check it out. That could be interesting. 

Also, there's something absurdly hilarious about there needing to be a month between exorcisms, and treating possession the way one would a drinking problem. And now David's got to keep tabs on Leland as well, as if the poor guy didn't have enough stress and pressure in his life. Yeah. This'll be a fun month. 

Okay! And with that, I shall go collect myself a bit, because that episode was...WHEW. That one's gonna haunt me for a while. 

• Love 17
(edited)

This is the scariest part for me, holy shit!!! I really thought Kristen’s body gonna be cut into two! 🥵

Is Tekka-Tekka girl real or just her hallucination?

3F7E9390-0B21-4B24-A22A-2363F3474728.jpeg

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

Of course Leland would bring popcorn to listen to David preach!

I loved the bit in the exorcism where he just stops and waggles his eyebrows at David before resuming making noises.

Poor Ben.  But he should have started sending texts rather than calling if he wanted to save on his battery. 

• Love 11
(edited)

If I could bring popcorn to mass I might go more often.  Although it was nice to see Kristen attended.

Was this the first appearance of the canned margaritas this season?  I don’t remember seeing them before.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
Just now, Chaos Theory said:

Was this the first appearance of the canned margaritas this season?  I don’t remember seeing them before.

Kristen drank one in the last episode, when she was getting herself ready to go on another late night outing (before ultimately not doing so, that is). 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

....all right, well, that was scary as hell. 

Wasn’t it? When Kristen was stuck in the elevator and Teke was slithering towards her. 😬 Although, it kind of, sort of, possibly, looked like she was trying to push Kristen back into the elevator as if to save her. Maybe that was just my mind trying to save myself from peeing my pants.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
Just now, ferjy said:

Wasn’t it? When Kristen was stuck in the elevator and Teke was slithering towards her. 😬 Although, it kind of, sort of, possibly, looked like she was trying to push Kristen back into the elevator as if to save her. Maybe that was just my mind trying to save myself from peeing my pants.

Ha, eh, hey, that's an interesting theory, too, yeah! Sometimes spirits seem scary and threatening when really they're actually trying to warn and protect you. Just that when you see something that creepy-looking coming at you, you don't think about that possibility. 

But it would be neat to see a situation like this that appears frightening but actually winds up being helpful. Kristen saw the girl and got away in time. Ben didn't and he got trapped down in that basement. So...who knows. 

• Love 4

I don’t usually get freaked out by this show, but the teka-teka girl jump scare got me. Kristen’s trying to convince herself it’s a hallucination (which it could be) but this is something she should have told Ben about when he asked. Everyone’s seeing demons and ghosts but no one’s talking about it. 

Of course Leland would bring popcorn to David’s sermon. Such a troll.

Poor Ben, that would’ve been horrifying to be trapped down there. Good thing David and Kristen figured out how to get to him and that he was able to tell them to hold the elevator door. He’ll probably be avoiding elevators for awhile. 

• Love 11
(edited)
10 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Season 1 Kristen watched Horror movies with her kids because she wanted to show them they weren’t real.  She made them also watch how the monsters were made after.   “The Elevator Game” is in a long line of spooky kids games that get investigated by these kinds of shows but having Kristen outright being told about it by her own kids is a clever way to skip the middle man or the long investigation.  Plus of course her kids would want to play once they hear about it.

Having her kids watch the video about how the guy playing the monster gets made up is a logical way to dispell their fear. Taking her kids to the building to investigate serves no logical purpose. It seemed like bad happened to that couple’s son whether it was supernatural, a crime or an accident. What if her kids saw the son being kidnapped on the security footage they all watched? Also, did she not consider the apartment security guy would prefer not to deal with her, Ben AND her three loud daughters? 

Edited by Athena5217
Edited to correct the number of daughters Kristen took with her.
  • Love 10

It was nice to see her again, though, and I liked her helping out a bit with the case.)

I loved how she walked away, then Ben said: "Elevator Game" and she came right back. And the goth girl who was conducting the ghost tour was also a perfect detail.

Yeah. We got the info in the last episode that angels are scary and not necessarily loving, and djinns can be helpful...but I don't think head-on-fire guy is going to be one of the helpful ones.

I think that Ben and Kristin now seeing demons is something either would care to admit to David. They are the realists, and I think it will fuck with their minds far more than David, who is used to visions and believes in angels.

• Love 6

Elevators already kind of freak me out, so of course this one was pure nightmare fuel for me. You could not pay me to play that elevator game, riding around on an elevator in a huge building is already not my idea of fun even without the threat of damnation and hauntings. Kristen getting stuck in that elevator with Teke Teke girl coming at her was just...nope nope nope. Creepy creepy elevator nope. I loved the goth girl doing the ghost tour, I was waiting to find out that she was a ghost all along. 

Kristen, I know that your still really skeptical about all this creepy stuff, but when it comes to your kids, its better safe then sorry right? Even if its not an actual portal to hell, it could be something mundane but still dangerous, like what was actually happening! I can see her watching the video with the girls, as they were the ones who knew about it, but taking them with her to the possible gates of hell seems like pretty irresponsible parenting. It did give the girls a chance to hang out with Ben a bit though, which is always fun. 

Speaking of, poor Ben. His freak out as he realized that he was going to probably die in this horrible place with only the corpses of the unfortunate teens and his demon stalker for company was really sad, even knowing that he was going to be saved obviously, I could feel his growing horror as he realized how bad this was until he was about to start sobbing. Then his goodbye notes to Kristen and David, just so much sadness. Kristen and Ben really need to compare notes about their "hallucinations" but they're both still such skeptics they aren't ready to admit to what could be happening yet. To think, they could be going on double dates with their creepy sex demon stalkers! It was funny to me when Ben and Kristen were talking to the couple, and they kept awkwardly waiting for David to get there so he can get into all of the paranormal exorcism stuff, as they both feel weird saying that they're monster hunters. 

Oh David, don't let Leland get into your head. Even when he is bringing up actual things, like the issues of race within the Catholic church, he's just doing this to mess with you and create more divisions within the group. If Leland is trying to get David to quit the church, it cant be a good thing, nothing Leland wants is a good thing. It was sweet of Kristen to come to his sadly small mass and give him a hug, although of course Leland brings popcorn in to church to troll him. What a dick. David really does have the patience of a saint dealing with Leland messing with him throughout his "exorcism" but even he has his limits considering he punched out some random guy at that party who pissed him off. 

• Love 8

I loved this show last season, but man...it is in a different league this year. The hour FLIES by, which is very unusual in a weekly drama. There's usually some boring/slow parts that drag a bit, but I haven't felt that at all. I can't stand Leland, but I also find his scenes compelling and look forward to them. The move to Paramount+ has served the show well. Glad to hear it's been renewed already.

At this point, pretty much everyone is haunted/possessed in some way, right? Kristen, David, Ben, Leland, Kristen's daughter, Sheryl, etc. I think only side characters have been left unsullied.

• Love 12
(edited)

Whew, that was intense. And scary. The teke teke girl got me screaming. I too wonder if it was a hallucination... or something else. They're all haunted, even poor Ben.

There are so many layers to this show. I just love it.

Sheryl is up to no good! Isn't Lexi her favorite? Maybe she's wants to groom Lexi into serving her demonic purposes. Or, maybe she's just a loving grandma (not holding my breath!).

And, as usual, the bit with George at the end = gold. George is my favorite character.

On 7/11/2021 at 2:23 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Ben has one of the ugliest cry-face I have ever seen! 🤣

May I introduce you to Carrie Mathison?

image.thumb.png.638a180aa35327fc7a6b7309f50cc7c6.png

Edited by Norma Desmond
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Norma Desmond said:

Sheryl is up to no good! Isn't Lexi her favorite? Maybe she's wants to groom Lexi to serve her demonic purposes. Or, maybe she's just a loving grandma (not holding my breath!).

I don’t understand the part where Sheryl requested a bed in Kristen’s office. I thought there’s a bed in there, already. Remember the episode when Andy came home and he caught Sheryl hooking up with Leland there?

3 hours ago, Norma Desmond said:

May I introduce you to Carrie Mathison?

image.thumb.png.638a180aa35327fc7a6b7309f50cc7c6.png

Hahahaha, fugly… and Kim Kardashian too! 😂

• LOL 1
(edited)

This was a great episode, very creepy! Of course Leland brings popcorn to church. In  truth I like it when he is more scary than campy, but the scene worked. I agree they are all haunted now and I wonder what Cheryl’s role is in everything going on. 

Just now, Madding crowd said:

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 3

That was creepy, and I also thought that Ben should have texted.  “HELP. Call 911.  Press 1 and 3 in elevator at hotel to find me. trapped with dead bodies of missing teens.” Also, letting people know where you’ll be, is a good idea.  Kristen should have told them the truth, too.  

• Like 1
  • Love 8

So, this was the wrong episode to watch this week as I am "home alone", lol.  I could not get the image of that girl crawling down the hall out of my head.  Good job, show!  

I'm still not on board with the new, "hardened" Kristen, but I'm staying hopeful that the story will have explanations/redemption forthcoming.

Question:  Has the show explained where the husband is this season?  Did he take the climbing gig that Kristen refused?  

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, leocadia said:

Question:  Has the show explained where the husband is this season?  Did he take the climbing gig that Kristen refused?  

They mentioned in one episode that he's still off organizing the group for that or something to that effect, yeah...but the business is also struggling a bit more than usual (and, since the pandemic hasn't fully hit just yet at this point and time in the show's world, that's going to make their business even worse as time goes on). 

I have read that Andy's supposed to be returning at some point down the line this season, so it'll be interesting to see his reaction to Kristen and everything once he comes back home :p. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

My favorite episode so far.  Creepy elevator game, creepy doorman at the building - seriously!  He was a fun one-off character.  Ben and Kristen trying to explain what they do to the missing kid's parents without David was amusing, as was Ben saying he always feels like an idiot on this job, hee.

Kristen's disastrous elevator experience (I loved how her reaction right after was "different meds, these aren't working").  David's disastrous meeting with a new group.  All of that pales in comparison to poor Ben's REALLY disastrous elevator experience.  Still though, Ben?  You don't go wandering away from the elevator into the netherworld/subbasement by yourself with no flashlight and not keeping the elevator open.  GAH.   Then his demon haunter has to bust his chops!  Poor Ben, couldn't get a break there.

I enjoy the David and Leland one on ones.  Leland having an obviously fake reaction to the rosary was funny.  I'm glad that David is so good at not showing a reaction, though Leland bringing up race and the church was the impetus for David's sermon.  I'm glad it seemed like a good sermon, even if Leland had to bring popcorn, lol.

I was glad Kristen didn't automatically agree to Sheryl asking to sleep over when it got late.  I can't quite figure if Sheryl is really contrite or is up to something. 

Bugs - ewwww.  I'd rather watch the half a girl crawl around. 

I'm also enjoying George's voice overs and the pop ups.  I did LOL when I saw the squashed elevator people for this one, hee.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 8/16/2021 at 9:09 PM, raven said:

I can't quite figure if Sheryl is really contrite or is up to something. 

I'm sure she is up to something--just can't figure out what. But wasn't she doing something on a laptop just before the scene where she asked Kristen to put a bed in the office? Whatever she was doing on the laptop was probably not good.