Type keyword(s) to search

PLL Cast & Crew in Other Projects

Lucy Hale has been hitting the PR circuit to promote her new single "Lie a Little Better."

That was unremarkable. Lyrics were bland and generic, and her voice gets warbley (is that a word ?) in parts.  And by putting the word 'Lie' in the title is just a little blatant so that it will get used in PLL at some point when they have another country-oriented episode.

I actually think the song is pretty good, for a country/pop song. And if country radio played any female other than Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, and Miranda Lambert..it would probably get some play. 

The issue is her singing. She was a better singer as a kid. She's just..of pitch here. Very bad breath control too. 

• Love 2

I agree that she was a better singer when she was a kid. When she performed this song on So You Think You Can Dance last week, Cat Deeley made sure to mention that Lucy was one of the winners of American Juniors (which was filmed in the same studio as SYTYCD!). If you can believe it, she sounded even worse on SYTYCD. Her voice was all over the place. I also noticed that at the end of the chorus, she can't hit the lower notes which makes me wonder why they didn't change the key of the song, change the notes that she couldn't hit, or give her some vocal flourishes to hide the fact that she didn't have the lower range (Samantha Barks of Les Miserables fame could never hit the lower notes in "A Little Fall of Rain" but she managed to hide it by gasping and whispering and "acting").

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow, she looks so similar to Ashley Benson in some of those pictures!

But yeah, I could see Ali being off in Hawaii surfing and shooting people. You know, just a different place to screw with people and get a tan at the same time.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Wow, Lucy Hale's voice sounded deeper than I expected. I agree with the criticisms, she could definitely use some singing lessons but I'll say she sounds better live than in the musical video released for "You sound good to me" which was completely irredemable imo. I have no idea how this industry works but I feel the people who are behind her jumped the gun on having go out there and perform this soon because everything about her seems incredibly amatourish from the pitchy singing (which got better halfaway through the video) to the hand gestures to her lyrics. And I have a pretty good tolerance for cheesy pop/country songs!

I believe she desperately needs more polishing, she just does, which PLL's shooting schedule probably didn't help with. My least favorite part are her songs though. Taylor Swift isn't a great singer by any means, especially live, but her lyrics make it worth it listening to her.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley

Lucy sang on Privileged, and IIRC she sounded pretty good there. Not sure what's going on with her voice these days.

If she picks the right projects, I think Sasha has the best chance to do other *big things* in TV/movies. I honestly think she's the most talented of the Liars, she's young enough, plus she's a hot blond.

When Sasha played a dying girl on House and held her own against Hugh Laurie, I was in awe. I know Lucy Hale was the most recognizable when the show started to most but I recognized Sasha right away too.  

• Love 1
If she picks the right projects, I think Sasha has the best chance to do other *big things* in TV/movies.

Well, Sasha is in Paul Thomas Anderson's Inherent Vice, so that's a great start of a serious career IMO.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2715973/Ashley-Benson-shows-feathered-blonde-hair-playing-Lady-Lisa-new-sci-fi-comedy-Pixels-Adam-Sandler.html

Ashley Benson was spotted on the set of her new movie Pixels on Monday in Toronto, Canada, where she plays Lady Lisa, a warrior from a fictional '80s video game called Dojo Quest. The movie has been adapted from the short film of the same name, that tells the story of a broken television set that releases a cloud of pixels which eventually becomes a version of the 'classic' 8-bit video game.

This sounds freakin' awful. And it has Adam Sandler too. I can't headdesk hard enough. She looks so good tho.

Edited by Crim

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2715973/Ashley-Benson-shows-feathered-blonde-hair-playing-Lady-Lisa-new-sci-fi-comedy-Pixels-Adam-Sandler.html

Ashley Benson was spotted on the set of her new movie Pixels on Monday in Toronto, Canada, where she plays Lady Lisa, a warrior from a fictional '80s video game called Dojo Quest. The movie has been adapted from the short film of the same name, that tells the story of a broken television set that releases a cloud of pixels which eventually becomes a version of the 'classic' 8-bit video game.

This sounds freakin' awful. And it has Adam Sandler too. I can't headdesk hard enough. She looks so good tho.

It also has Peter Dinklage WITH A MULLET.  If that doesn't make it must see, then I don't know what does.

It's also on youtube. I watched it when it first aired (maybe 2012?) and I agree - it's really good. The first season only has 3 episodes but the second season has 12 episodes. They're all very short (around 10 minutes or less) so you can watch the entire series in a few hours. Here's the very first episode:

We (the boyfriend) and I did. I'm only watching DWTS to see Janel, there will be a LOT of fast forwarding going on at our house. I thought Janel did great, one of the better performances for this first week, and we're hoping she wins that mirror ball.

The boyfriend said he didn't recognize her last night until I told him who she was. He actually did a double take and said "she looks MUCH better as Mona." I agree, they really trowel on the makeup on DWTS, don't they.

So basically, they'll have another teen murder mystery show after PLL ends. Not a bad call. 

Unless they jumped the gun with this one like they did with The Lying Game and Ravenswood. Luckily it's on a third rate network, but nothing can compete with PLL, they struck gold with that show. On a related note, does it seem like Marlene King is trying to create a Shondaland clone on ABC's baby sister network?

Same with Julie Plec with The CW. She had 3 shows last year.

That show does sound promising. I think the problem with The Lying Game was the show stopped being about who wants to kill the twins to which twin deserved Nikolas Casadines younger brother. With Ravenswood I think the characters were likable enough especially Britne Oldford and Brett Dier. Caleb actually got a personality even though he had no romantic chemistry with his so called soulmate who looked more like his sister. Her uncle was creepily hot though.

I think Pretty Little Liars just got lucky with 4 likable leads. Every other show that has come after PLL has just not been able to capture the same magic. The Lying Game was the closest then it went to shit. Twisted never recovered after episode 9 pretty much and Ravenswood was never going to work because Caleb's fanbase is not huge the way Mona's or even Jenna's would've been. None of the guys on PLL have a big enough fanbase like the women.

I was never going to get behind Ravenswood because I don't believe that a supernatural show should be connected to a non-supernatural show, and I like Caleb with Hanna on PLL and didn't want to see him shipped off. The Perfectionists sounds promising, though. These writers do female friendships really well, so the idea of another show about a tight-knit group of girls appeals to me. The casting will have to be good, too, though.

• Love 2

I agree with Cranberry. I think this new show stands a good chance. While I could not have been less interested in Ravenswood mainly because of Caleb but also because of the completely lackluster cast and premise of show, I think I'll be checking this new show out.

I gave The Lying Game more of a go than I ever gave Ravenswood but it was pretty mediocre all around, maybe save for the main actress who played the twins and the blonde sister. Still, the good twin/bad twin thing has been done to death in TVD (I know Elena and Katherine aren't actually twins but they might as well) and I was pretty sick of the premise already to be able to stomach an even more superficial version of it. It didn't help that the main guy who the girls fought for was simply awful.

I agree that PLL has struck gold with its casting, not just the main girls but also with the supporting actors. I know I was instantly hooked with the pilot and I don't think I've ever liked so many characters in show at once before. I'll certainly be rooting for MK to find a similar success with this new show. Not only would it mean I new show to obsess over long after PLL is gone but I also think it would make MK and the producers more willing to wrap PLL sooner than later.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 1

They should just have the Liars plot to murder Alison instead.

I don't get why ABC Family is so hell-bent on adapting Sara Shepard books. It's not like PLL's success is mostly due to the stellar source material and to be honest I don't think that either Marlene or Sara can plot even a second-rate mystery, and even if Marlene were capable of that the network would oblige her to stretch it to like five seasons. So my hope for the new show is that the mystery elements will be the catalyst of the drama and not the essence of it, as was mostly the case for S1-2 of PLL.

But hey, five protagonists means 25% more main character eye-candy. :)

Twisted had a ton of potential but they didn't balance time equally between Danny, Lacey and Jo and made the show all about Jo even when Lacey had a sex tape made about her.  I have to give Twisted credit on one thing though:  I've NEVER seen a show so quickly descend into the hell of shipper wars.  Even TVD's shipping wars weren't that vicious.

Based on the lineup, it looks like ABC Family's stopped trying to appeal to guys at all :(.  Come on ABC Family, 3rd time's the charm!  The Perfectionists looks interesting, hopefully the girls are diverse.  

I actually read "The Perfectionists", and I have to say it was quite good. The mystery was way better and more concise than PLL and I liked the characters/friendships. The main con: WAAAY too many characters to keep track of. 5 girls each have a boyfriend and/or a friend not in the group. 

I've read The Perfectionists, too, and I totally agree with hqtextbook. I couldn't even keep track of the main 5 girls since there were so many tertiary characters, plus I am really fed up with all of Sara Shepard's (and other author's) books always being a series with cliffhangers and never a stand alone book.

• Love 1

on the bright side, this one will only have 1 sequel. 2 books total, so all will be resolved soon.

Completely unrelated, but still in the category of "other projects,"everyone watch/vote for Janel on DWTS tomorrow night! Its the semi final and she's sooooo good! 1800-868-3405. 

Does anyone else watch The New Girl?  Wren has been guesting as a love interest for Zoe Deschanel and it is a refreshing treat to see a Rosewood man not molesting a teenager.  He knits.  He helps his dyslexic sister learn how to read.  It's pretty awesome.  He and Zoe have great chemistry.

• Love 2

Awww, such mixed feelings - I was so glad that Janel made the finals on Dancing with the Stars, but I was really disappointed that she finished third because she was a much better dancer than Sadie. I expected Alfonso to win but Janel was the only one even close to him in terms of both performance and dance skill. The bummer is that she missed three days of rehearsal before the finale because she was spending 15 hours a day filming for PLL. I am excited that we will get to see her on the show again though!

I have been watching Wren on New Girl and it's so confusing for me because I keep expecing him to be totally inappropriate with a younger girl (although he and Jess work at a middle school so unless he is going to be as gross as Ian was in the books, no chance of him being a total perv) but he just keeps giving Jess the charming nice guy.

• Love 2