Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E04: Auditions 4

• Start Topic

(edited)

I might just be in a bad mood but I'm kinda over this show tonight...but I loved The Other Direction, the World's Gayest Boy Band.

Josh Blue won Last Comic Standing in 2006. Howie's really never heard of him? (Actually, the way Simon was talking to him when he came out made me feel like they know exactly who he is.)

Oh, now we're doing "you should sing something else" before they even start singing. That's a fun twist. 🙄

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I might just be in a bad mood but I'm kinda over this show tonight...but I loved The Other Direction, the World's Gayest Boy Band.

Josh Blue won Last Comic Standing in 2006. Howie's really never heard of him? (Actually, the way Simon was talking to him when he came out made me feel like they know exactly who he is.)

Oh, now we're doing "you should sing something else" before they even start singing. That's a fun twist. 🙄

Of course, the singer who has clearly been singing his whole life and who actually teaches singing doesn't know another song. Makes perfect sense. 

All of the good acts tonight have been on other shows. I didn't check but I'm guessing spinny-hair girl (who lives in Vegas) was in Cirque de Soliel. 

The Gayest band were actually funny. I'm looking forward to seeing them again. 

• Love 3

The howling chihuahua act? Really? All you have to do is bring your little rat dog on stage to howl and you get to go through? I love dogs but I’m starting to think you could bring a dog on stage to let it pee on the big red X and the judges would applaud like oversugared six-year-olds at a birthday party. 

Please, no. Not another choir of very special people. Tap dancing and high notes in a mishmash of mediocre vocals? No. But choirs always get four yesses.

The kid magician was good.

The Other Direction band was just a gimmick based on the gay One Direction premise. Otherwise, not notable.

Make-a-Wish comedian. Yes.   

I’m SO OVER all the acts that have been semi-successful, semi-professional on other shows. And apparently that includes the comedian I sort of liked. Probably hair girl too. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Tango64 said:

Please, no. Not another choir of very special people. Tap dancing and high notes in a mishmash of mediocre vocals? No. But choirs always get four yesses.

For a second, I thought they might get the Golden Buzzer. It's a shame they didn't have to overcome something. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Tango64 said:

The Other Direction band was just a gimmick based on the gay One Direction premise. Otherwise, not notable.

They made me laugh. That's notable enough for tonight. The cowboy had a nice voice; wish I could have heard him better.

• Love 2

I get such satisfaction out of fast-forwarding through the judges' 'comedy' bits.

So that last danger act was just brought on for shits and giggles? Because I don't think there was any voting. Josh Blue was actually funny, but boo on being a previous winner of another NBC talent show. Glad the gay boy band could actually sing. There seems to be an overabundance of boy bands this season.

Probably hair girl too. 

Toured with Cirque.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Me when they’re introducing the Other Direction: “ugh! This is gonna suck!” I was wrong. 

Me when Sofia is onstage about to shoot Simon: “this show is so fucking stupid!” I was right. 

Edited by Frisky Wig
Google informed me that Sofia’s name is NOT spelled with a ‘ph’
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Tango64 said:

The howling chihuahua act? Really? All you have to do is bring your little rat dog on stage to howl and you get to go through? I love dogs but I’m starting to think you could bring a dog on stage to let it pee on the big red X and the judges would applaud like oversugared six-year-olds at a birthday party. 

The kid magician was good.

Make-a-Wish comedian. Yes.   

I’m SO OVER all the acts that have been semi-successful, semi-professional on other shows. And apparently that includes the comedian I sort of liked. Probably hair girl too. 

I am so over them too. I really miss undiscovered talent. I really miss the old seasons. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Frisky Wig said:

Me when Sofia is onstage about to shoot Simon: “this show is so fucking stupid!” I was right. 

A particularly low moment for the show. It had the potential to be ok, but it was just dumb. 

• Love 1

Another night of acts performed by people who are all STARS! (TM AGT judges). The first dance act ... geesh, these guys get four yeses and no way was that any kind of "dancing." If I can do it, it's not that good.

The singing Chihuahua though made me LOL. It just struck me funny even though I knew that's what was going to happen. My own dogs do a morning "sing" every day while I'm still in bed (I've learned to sleep through it) and they also perform as a choir when I'm walking out the door to go somewhere and they know I can't  tell them all to STOP IT. It would be gold if I could get them all to do it together on AGT, but that's not happening. So sad for you viewers because a singing dog choir would get FIVE yeses if not the GB.

Anyway ... Brook the singer must be the friend of a poster here. She was very good and I kept thinking "Broadway" during her act.

The Yoga Show was weird and creepy and pretty cool all at once.

The NYC choir had a tap dancer I guess, since I heard someone tapping while I did something else and didn't watch. Choir = Big Yawn from me.

The kid magician was good and fun and, while I'm not a fan of precocious kids, he was pretty cute. Entertaining. Me likee.

Other Direction I guess was the hit of the night and I missed the entire act, time to bring dogs in for the night and that took a while.

I hated how the cross-dressing ventriloquist was treated by the show. That audience is CGI so all the silence and boos were edited in by TPTB and it was just cruel. You guys put Peacock Guy through and you are dissing THIS guy? Please. This was not funny and makes me hate Simon AND this show. Well, not sure I can dislike Simon more than I already do, but this added to it.

Josh Blue ... while I didn't recognize him since it's been 15 years since I voted up a storm for him to win Last Comic Standing, I'll always remember his name because he was all I talked about in 2006. And yeah, if I know him, so does Howie. And everyone else if they watched that show back then.

Then the next singer is some guy with a 'stache and Simon is so rude to him and tells him how bad he is. Then a pretty female singer comes on and is even worse than the 'stache guy and Simon tells her she has potential and to come back next year. Because you know, she's not a guy with a mustache. Way to make it obvious, show/Simon. NOT subtle.

Next is the Black singer who, of course, can sing no other song other than the one that Simon hates. Way to follow the script, dude, well done to set it up for what ALL OF US know is coming, that the guy would be great and Simon would LOVE the song after that. Geesh, show, we viewers are so far ahead of you this season.

I did get a kick out of that guy having The Weeknd's old hair. I guess he got a GB so everyone, remember to get your free tots at Sonic.

Speaking of hair, haven't we seen hair aerialists before? Still, she was lovely and nice to watch. I wear my hair in a pony all the time and never get a headache Howie. Of course she's a professional. I doubt she trained herself via YouTube videos while hanging from a tree in her backyard.

Then Simon stands up and comes on stage ... and he's wearing a dress shirt, black dress socks and WHITE BOXER SHORTS! WTH. I guess we should be grateful he had any crotch covering on at all.

The fakeout arrow shooting was so dumb. And if that was some gigantic trick on Sofia, it sure bombed because she just stood there with absolutely no reaction. In fact, everyone was just standing around while Simon was flat on the floor. Perhaps everyone (besides me) was thinking "Thank goodness he's maybe dead, no one try to revive him, no one call 911, let's just all pretend we didn't see that and maybe he'll just be dead and then we can get _____ to judge now. Hey, let's all head over to craft services, I hear they have ice cream today!"

Ice cream makes everything better. Sometimes, even this show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Anyway ... Brook the singer must be the friend of a poster here. She was very good and I kept thinking "Broadway" during her act.

I forgot about that! She was great (and her baby picture was freakin' adorable).

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Josh Blue ... while I didn't recognize him since it's been 15 years since I voted up a storm for him to win Last Comic Standing, I'll always remember his name because he was all I talked about in 2006. And yeah, if I know him, so does Howie. And everyone else if they watched that show back then.

I didn't even watch that season and I knew his name (I actually missed his intro and didn't quite recognize him with the long hair but I knew he was familiar, so I went to watch again on facebook and saw his name...they even link to his official FB fan page).

I didn't watch the fake arrow thing because I hate those acts and I remembered the couple and I barely watched them last time around.

• Love 1

Sofia usually is the best actor of the jidges.  Tonight, she was turrible.  No reaction when Simon was laying there and her attempt at misdirection before she hit the GB was beyond obvious.  

I truly loved Shoji's expressions in the jidge talk and the voting.  Full marks for where he is today and I wish him all the best.  However, just as Fallon (the teen singer with the unreal range) isn't ready, with seasoning they could each have a career.

The amount of show tunes/Broadway presentations on this one ep was incredible.   I love Broadway and I don't like that Simon has such little respect for them.  But, the man has a point.  Of the show tune auditioners I most liked the wife who was naturally vivacious.  With a stage presence like that, she simply must be professional.  Still, more please.

Lord help me, but I actually enjoyed the Kia commercial that led the show.  Don't barf on the car, Howie.  :) 

17 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I didn't watch the fake arrow thing because I hate those acts and I remembered the couple and I barely watched them last time around.

It was so lame. Sofia was blindfolded and there was no arrow in the bow she shot. The fake arrow was stuck onto Simon's chest and he laid down on the floor. That was it. No danger, no suspense, just a bunch of time filler. Although you would have gotten to see Simon in black dress socks and white boxer shorts, that look at is SO (not) HOT on old men.

• Useful 1
(edited)
18 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

It was so lame. Sofia was blindfolded and there was no arrow in the bow she shot. The fake arrow was stuck onto Simon's chest and he laid down on the floor. That was it. No danger, no suspense, just a bunch of time filler. Although you would have gotten to see Simon in black dress socks and white boxer shorts, that look at is SO (not) HOT on old men.

I did see him on the stage in his shorts (didn't think they were boxers but I did wonder 'why?'). Then I found something else to occupy my eyeballs.

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The NYC choir had a tap dancer I guess, since I heard someone tapping while I did something else and didn't watch. Choir = Big Yawn from me.

I meant to comment on this, too...yes, they had a tap dancer and it made no sense to me because the music didn't go with tap. It just felt kind of random.

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Add me to the list of squeals when I saw Josh Blue come onstage. I so remembered him from Last Comic Standing. He made me laugh…a lot. Now add me to the list of those wondering why Howie didn’t know him. I mean, come on. He’s still out there touring for gosh sakes. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

No reaction when Simon was laying there and her attempt at misdirection before she hit the GB was beyond obvious.  

She looked like she was in shock to me.  That's a mean prank to pull on somebody.  I don't like being pranked.  I probably would've went off on all of them if they did that to me! 

Heidi makes me laugh when she makes the her little hand goggles for her eyes.  She seems like she'd be fun to hang around with.  

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

She looked like she was in shock to me.  That's a mean prank to pull on somebody.  I don't like being pranked.  I probably would've went off on all of them if they did that to me! 

Heidi makes me laugh when she makes the her little hand goggles for her eyes.  She seems like she'd be fun to hang around with.  

Heidi's been doing the binoculars bit a lot lately.  Sofia looked like she was immobilized by shock or a severe case of WTF to me too.  I thought it was an immature prank time filler, but was concerned.  What if she had heart attack or something?  Totally stupid.

I hate to tell y'all this, but I want to see Casper again.  OK, Casper & Pam.  I do not want to see the mish-mosh NYC choir again but want to see if the Other Direction has another good song.

The 9-year-old magician was pretty good and was adorable.

Josh Blue was new to me because I never watched LCS.  I loved him and he made me really laugh out loud.  I doubt if he'll win the million dollars but glad he's coming back for another routine.

The aerialist was OK but I didn't really like her costume, and I love black lace.  It was sort of weird the way the "lace" was placed and her butt was covered in the beige fabric, like nude.  A different outfit and I would've liked it more.

I'm so old, the Gayest Boy Band reminded me of The Village People (especially the cowboy) and the Tomorrow singer gave me Little Richard vibes.  I enjoyed his rendition very much though.  I'm glad he got the Golden Buzzer.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, lambertman said:

Not "boxer shorts", but fairly similar in length to the shorts that boxers wear while...boxing.

(He's worn them every week; I assumed it has something to do with his accident recovery?) 

Honestly, I completely forgot about his accident until Howie brought it up; I think it was when the unicycle dancers were on and I thought it was a pretty stupid thing to say.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, lambertman said:

Not "boxer shorts", but fairly similar in length to the shorts that boxers wear while...boxing.

(He's worn them every week; I assumed it has something to do with his accident recovery?) 

Simon's new shorts wardrobe is so annoying.  Do we really want to see his legs?  No.

Simon Cowell, after threatening to sue the electric bike manufacturer because they caused his accident (eye roll emoji), is back to riding electric bikes.  You can't make this stuff up.  Ugh.

Article from TMZ

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Honestly, I completely forgot about his accident until Howie brought it up; I think it was when the unicycle dancers were on and I thought it was a pretty stupid thing to say.

I didn't forget; that's probably the only reason I tuned in to this new season; to see the great comeback of Simon Cowell.  I don't ow if this show can retain my interest anymore.  I noticed that one of our previously most prolific and entertaining poster and possibly his twin brother has/have not posted at all this season.  I hope he's OK.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

I didn't forget; that's probably the only reason I tuned in to this new season; to see the great comeback of Simon Cowell.  I don't ow if this show can retain my interest anymore.  I noticed that one of our previously most prolific and entertaining poster and possibly his twin brother has/have not posted at all this season.  I hope he's OK.

I know, I miss them. They were a big reason I was here. (Not that I'm going anywhere. Trainwrecks are their own kind of fun.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1

The only act worth mentioning was the magician kid. That kid is going to be a great magician if he keeps it up. Best act of the night!

What was up with the that guy tap dancing with the choir? They might as well have gotten someone to "juggle" some coconuts while singing. The dancing was very out of place. The choir? I've seen better choirs. Let's move along!

There was no back/sob story on the GB singer, but I probably could guess what it would be. No, I'm not going to say.

I've already ditched American Idol. Will AGT be next? Except for the magician kid, otherwise, very 😴

• Love 2
21 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

The aerialist was OK but I didn't really like her costume, and I love black lace.  It was sort of weird the way the "lace" was placed and her butt was covered in the beige fabric, like nude.  A different outfit and I would've liked it more.

She was good, but there's only so much of that kind of act that I want to watch.  It will probably seem like the same thing with every performance.  The black lace on the front of the costume over her nether region kept distracting me!  

Just now, SunnyBeBe said:

I liked my NC pick Brooke.  I thought she was great. I hope she does well.

Yes!!  I was watching for her.  She was a bright spot amongst some of the dud performances.

22 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I'm so old, the Gayest Boy Band reminded me of The Village People (especially the cowboy) and the Tomorrow singer gave me Little Richard vibes. 

I thought of the Village People too.  I thought they were going to do some kind of spoof of them. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Simon's new shorts wardrobe is so annoying.  Do we really want to see his legs?  No.

Old men always wear high black dress socks with shorts, and Simon is an old man. Guys that are hip wear sandals or flips or ankle socks (last choice) if they MUST wear socks. Heck, young with-it dudes today wear suits, dress shoes and NO SOCKS. Reference: The Bachelor/ette.

Simon week after week, season after season, has been wearing a baggy-neck t-shirt, so the week when he stands to reveal his long white boxer shorts, he's wearing a button-down dress shirt. While I'm not one to care what anyone wears, everything about Simon grosses me out so I just can't help harping about him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Old men always wear high black dress socks with shorts, and Simon is an old man. Guys that are hip wear sandals or flips or ankle socks (last choice) if they MUST wear socks. Heck, young with-it dudes today wear suits, dress shoes and NO SOCKS. Reference: The Bachelor/ette.

Simon week after week, season after season, has been wearing a baggy-neck t-shirt, so the week when he stands to reveal his long white boxer shorts, he's wearing a button-down dress shirt. While I'm not one to care what anyone wears, everything about Simon grosses me out so I just can't help harping about him.

Simon's cheap white almost see-thru T-shirts were bad enough.  Guy's got beau coup bucks and he dresses like he got his clothes free from the Salvation Army.  Doesn't his live-in girlfriend/baby mama render any fashion sense input to her man?  I like that Simon doesn't dress like a stuck-up snob, but come on.  He takes California casual a bit too far given he's not at a backyard BBQ when he appears on AGT!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Simon's cheap white almost see-thru T-shirts were bad enough.  Guy's got beau coup bucks and he dresses like he got his clothes free from the Salvation Army.  Doesn't his live-in girlfriend/baby mama render any fashion sense input to her man?  I like that Simon doesn't dress like a stuck-up snob, but come on.  He takes California casual a bit too far given he's not at a backyard BBQ when he appears on AGT!

Those shirts probably cost 50 bucks, too.

Those shirts probably cost 50 bucks, too.

He once said in an interview that they're from Marks & Spencer, They're about $10 each, but you have to buy them in multi-packs.

This episode made me want to skip the next auditions/rounds, between editing in booing for the ventriloquist and the psychotic prank (and honorable mention to making the singer who "didn't have another song" look worse.)

• Love 3

It's tough to get through the audition shows, and I really only like the finals.  That said, I always hate the extreme danger acts, no matter when in the season they appear.

As others have said, all the pranks, like Sofia shooting Simon, and the so-called impromptu dialog with the contestants, like the "Tomorrow" guy, are 100% completely contrived.  They're clearly set-up and can be seen coming a mile away. 

• Love 5