(edited)

GREG BERLANTI TO BE HONORED WITH A STAR ON THE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME
https://walkoffame.com/press_releases/greg-berlanti-walkoffame/ 

GUEST SPEAKERS Ryan Murphy, Sarah Schechter, and Peter Roth

WHAT Dedication of the 2,724th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame

WHEN Monday, May 23, 2022, at 11:30 AM PT

WHERE 6420 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood, CA 90028

WATCH LIVE The event will be streamed live exclusively at walkoffame.com 

Greg Berlanti, an award-winning television producer, is set to receive the 2,724th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on Monday, May 23, at 11:30 a.m. PT at 6420 Hollywood Boulevard. Berlanti will receive his star in the category of Television.

Greg Berlanti Reflects on Major Legacy, Uplifting Diverse Storytellers and Stories He Fought to Get on the Air
By Emily Longeretta   May 22, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/tv/features/greg-berlanti-showrunner-legacy-walk-of-fame-1235273375/

The relationship that Berlanti formed with The CW is a large reason for his success, he says, noting that CEO Mark Pedowitz has been a huge mentor to him and supportive of the many genres he’s worked in — from family dramas to his massive amount of superhero hits.
Pedowitz also summed up their relationship in anecdote, telling a story of the first year of “Arrow,” during which he asked Berlanti if he’d like to do a spinoff around the Flash.

“He just laughed and said, ‘I was just about to come pitch that to you.’ He tells me that the Flash was a character he always embraced as a kid, and I told him that I felt the same way,” recalls Pedowitz. “We set out to bring this mutual childhood hero to life, and now, here we are, heading into Season 9 of ‘The Flash.’”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

EBR was recently a guest on Poor Lil Thing: The Podcast (with Amy Goodmurphy and Ryan Steele)...

Poor Lil Thing - Ep. 15: EMILY BETT RICKARDS
May 11, 2022
https://shows.acast.com/poor-lil-thing/episodes/emily-bett-rickards

Listen to entire podcast here (EBR segment starts at around the 22:00 mark):
https://play.acast.com/s/poor-lil-thing/emily-bett-rickards

Short video excerpt on TikTok:
https://www.tiktok.com/@ryanandamyshow/video/7096549866012183814

-- EBR never got to meet Nickelback when she appeared in their 2009 music video for “Never Gonna Be Alone.”

-- On how "unbelievable" it was to start on Arrow as a one-episode guest star, getting asked back repeatedly, and then becoming a regular cast member, EBR: "So it's wild. It's still wild. The reason the question is asked is because - especially being a Vancouver actor and a Vancouver actor at the time - and this still happens. Like, Vancouver actors will be like asked to audition and there's a certain number of parts that need to go to local or thought to go to local, or audition for local. And then, you know, those parts will already be filled by someone that usually an American has already taken or has been offered to.... This is still like a huge thing. This is just what happens. This is the industry. This is the business. It's, you know, dominated by Hollywood, that kind of thing. Um, so, yeah, going in to do that audition - and how old was I, right? (Laughs) ... Going in to that audition at 20. [Unintelligible words], the casting director, 'they only bring you back, like, if they like you.' Like, there's all this gossip... I hadn't seen them in like two and a half years. I totally thought I had botched the audition I had done for them before. So I went in and I was like, okay, it's not about the part, it's just about to ace this, so I can continue coming in for projects that they have. And, um, I went in and I clearly did okay. I didn't make a total fool of myself. Booked the job. Called my mom. Went back to the dog shop, dog apparel shop I was working at... I had put a tag on the door... 'Gone. Back in, you know, 6 hours.' And my boss at the time was super supportive... 'Don't make it a habit.' And I'm like, I'm definitely making this a habit. And, yeah, sort of the - they ended up bringing me back after that. And then I worked that whole season sort of as a guest star, but recurring, because it wasn't supposed to be recurring, so just guest star over and over again. Season 2 rolled around, they offered me, you know, the six-year contract, which was scary because you're 20... Like, I have to say 'yes' because, like, I'm probably never gonna get another chance because I'm Canadian, living in Vancouver. (Laughs) Like, this is my thought. And also, like, I'm going to be 26, I'm going to be so old! (Laughs) ... What if I change? And you do. You end up changing. You end up changing within the contract and living your college years in this contract, and acting and learning and being on set and making family out of people you would've never met. That kind of thing."

-- On whether she ever wondered what it would've been like if she hadn't had the Arrow role, EBR: "Yeah. Obviously, you're very grateful. Like, in my own head, I call it like Fast Times at Arrow High, 'cause I feel like there's this eight-year period where I was like living in my hometown and I like didn't see my family. Like, there's this weird misbalance that happens when you're working 10 months out of the year, five days a week, 18-hour days, kind of thing. And everything kind of revolves around this thing. And you're in your 20's and things are already fast. You're already kind of confused... You don't know what's a healthy work environment and what's not. Like, who you are. Like, where you're gonna be when it's over. Like, this is amazing, this is exactly what you've always dreamed of. Then there's other thing about like figuring out your own identity and what it is in that. Um, and being 30, being much older now (Laughs)... But with some perspective and some, you know, actual time off that I chose to take as well, like, yeah, I think it's such a - it's definitely like a unique 20's experience and I'm really grateful for it, and I can't wait to act again. But there was a period of time afterwards where I was like, I need to just like stop. Things need to stop. I need to see what like actual time is like, for a moment."

-- On what she did during her time off and whether she just stopped, EBR: "I wanted to, but I ended up leaving the show at the end of the seventh season and going, um - I started like - took my contract and I was like, I think I'm done here, thank you so much. Um, I ended up doing an off-Broadway show in New York. Um, I did an indie film in Philly and then went to do a show in New York. And I was in New York for the summer. And then I came home after doing that show and I sat at my mom's house, catatonic, without like looking at anything, like just the ocean, for like, I think, close to a month. Like, I didn't answer my phone. Nothing. And then, I decided - I called my [unintelligible word-team?] and was like, I think I'm going to take a year off. And then the pandemic hit right after that year was over. So I haven't worked since that. So it's been like a longer break than the one expects. (Laughs)"

-- On winning MTV's Ship of the Year in 2015 with Stephen Amell and podcaster's confusion as to what "shipping" means, EBR: "This brings the question, too, like, is it just for fictional characters? Because I don't think this happens as, like, a verbatim when you're - what am I trying to say? When you're speaking to someone... Like, in person." She also joked that the best part of that award is that it is so heavy that, if someone broke into her apartment, she could use it as a weapon.

-- On her role in the movie Brooklyn, EBR said that the audition was done over Skype because Zoom didn't exist yet. She was on Arrow at the time. EBR: "They were looking for someone who was Canadian to do the American girl in the movie. And, um, so they were like, everyone else is Irish. And I was like, oh, no, I can't do an Irish accent... And they're like, 'And you're American.' And I was like, I can do that. I've been trained! ... I got the part. I can't remember what two seasons it was between... I ended up getting really sick on set. Like, we had finished Arrow and I feel like... your body sort of pushes it to the end of the season... And then, I was like, yes, I made it, I felt great... We're shooting in Montreal. I get to Montreal. And half a day into like Wardrobe, we started shooting it and I just get like sick, sick, sick, sick, sick... I was quite young at the time, too. I was like 22 or 23... At the time, I was like, don't worry about it. Everything's going to be fine. ... It was a super fun set. My parents are from Montreal, so it was fun to go back... I was so sinus-ed up at one point, I was in the makeup chair... and my eyes just started watering... and I was so embarrassed... I felt like I was messing everything up... They gave me like this sinus spray. ... Acting with all these like amazing Irish women and like such a stacked cast, and everyone is so funny. And our director is amazing. It was really just a blast, aside from falling asleep in camera trucks in 45-minute turnarounds."

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

8 Lead Actors Who Disappeared From TV After Their Big Break
BY SUZANA MIHURKO    MAY 26, 2022
https://screenrant.com/lead-actors-disappeared-tv-after-big-break/

5/9   Emily Bett Rickards
Emily Bett Rickards rose to fame when she starred as Felicity Smoak on Arrow. She was first intended to be only in a couple of episodes, but after it became obvious she has great chemistry with the rest of the cast, she was promoted to a series regular and even became one of the leads later on. Fans fell in love with the hilarious and witty hacker who happened to be loyal to a fault.

But after she decided to leave Arrow, she pretty much disappeared from TV, perhaps taking a longer break to rest after the Arrow's success. It would be a shame to lose everything she still has to offer to her audience, as she has a range of acting that goes from funny to heartbreaking and she does all of it well. She does seem to have a lead role in a 2022 movie, so perhaps the Arrow wasn't the last we've seen of her.

(Based on EBR's IMDB page, the 2022 movie referenced in the above article may be We Need to Talk, but EBR only has a small supporting role in that movie. However, in the Poor Lil Thing podcast interview posted above, EBR explained that she took a voluntary one-year break, which was unexpectedly extended by the pandemic.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Exclusive: Emily Bett Rickards Wants Arrow to Return in Ten Years, Veronica Mars-Style
BY JEREMY DICK   MAY 27, 2022
https://movieweb.com/exclusive-emily-bett-rickards-arrow-season-9/ 

After enjoying a successful run on television, Arrow wrapped up in 2020 with the end of its eighth season. We are now living in the age of series revivals and reboots, so it's more clear than ever that a TV series ending doesn't necessarily mean it won't be continued one day. With that in mind, Rickards recently told MovieWeb during an exclusive interview that she is up for a return, even if it happens in 10 or so years from now. As the actress tells us:

"I haven't heard about season 9 yet... I was speaking about Veronica Mars earlier today, and how I was such a fan... and when you know, the sort of fandom comes back, or for a movie, or another set, it would be interesting to pick up where those characters are at in 10 years or 15 years. Maybe some more time in between. We can all get older and a little bit more wrinkly, and people won't want to even believe it's us."

Cavan Scott, Jody Houser, and Marc Guggenheim To Pen Yoda Mini-Series For Marvel
By Brian Cameron   May 29, 2022
https://www.fanthatracks.com/news/literature-art/cavan-scott-jody-houser-and-marc-guggenheim-to-pen-yoda-mini-series-for-marvel/ 

Announced at Star Wars Celebration is a new comic mini-series from Marvel set over three arcs, and a total of ten issues – focussed on Yoda!  The series will be penned by Cavan Scott, Jody Houser and Marc Guggenheim.

(edited)

Another b-t-s Arrow mystery - CH walked away from his regular cast role on Arrow because "I was too depressed and I couldn't stand working with one of my cast mates" (not identified)...

Colton Haynes Reveals the Real Reasons He Left Teen Wolf and Arrow
By DANIEL TRAINOR MAY 31, 2022
https://www.eonline.com/news/1332895/colton-haynes-reveals-the-real-reasons-he-left-teen-wolf-and-arrow 

After Teen Wolf, Colton transitioned to The CW's Arrow, where he played Roy Harper/Arsenal over all eight seasons of the superhero drama. At the end of season seven, however, Colton announced he would only be returning in a limited capacity for season eight. 

In his memoir, Colton gets honest about that departure, as well. "I had walked away from my full-time job on Arrow at the beginning of the year, supposedly because my contract had ended," he writes, "but it was really because I was too depressed and I couldn't stand working with one of my cast mates."

Colton does not reveal the specific cast member by name.

Edited by tv echo
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

DR's new CW series is still in development...

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on CSI: Vegas, Ghosts, Blood & Treasure, The Orville, the Walker Prequel, WWDITS and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / June 1 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/csi-vegas-bigger-season-2/

Is there any word on The CW’s Justice U show starring David Ramsey? I know the network is in a bit of flux right now, but I am hoping that the show is not officially dead as it seemed like an interesting way to continue Diggle’s story. –Brian
You should “dig” this news, Brian, as I am told that Justice U is still in development at the network.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Colton Haynes (Actor/Author) on Everything Iconic with Danny Pellegrino
Danny Pellegrino   Jun 2, 2022

-- Danny Pelligrino: "There was an Arrow co-star that was tough to work with, you say in the book."
Colton Haynes:
"I did?"
DP: "I think so... I hope I didn't make that up. Was there a young lady - or was there someone you've worked with, maybe it was in a different chapter or something? Is there a young lady that's very difficult to work with, that you can tell me?"
CH: "I don't remember. I mean, I was - I was going to look in the book, but what's inside of this book is actually Anna Kendrick's book... It's just a - you know, this was the copy they gave me, um, just to have in the background."
DP: "So maybe someone Anna Kendrick worked with."
CH: "Maybe... Who knows? I don't remember that part."
(Then they talked about a director, not identified, who CH apparently had problems with.)
CH: "Everyone's going to have their ideas of who they think people are and all this stuff, but for me personally, if someone's hurt me, I don't want to hurt them back... It's almost better for me just to be like, you know what, that - going through that and putting me through that bullsh*t and that, you know, situation only made me get stronger. ... Anyway, going back to the question, I don't know. I don't remember."
DP: "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I get it. I got you. I got what you're spilling."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2

https://www.eonline.com/news/1332895/colton-haynes-reveals-the-real-reasons-he-left-teen-wolf-and-arrow

"In his memoir, Colton gets honest about that departure, as well. "I had walked away from my full-time job on Arrow at the beginning of the year, supposedly because my contract had ended," he writes, "but it was really because I was too depressed and I couldn't stand working with one of my cast mates."

I definitely want to know who it was.

(edited)

Regarding the Arrow cast mate that CH couldn't stand working with, we probably will never find out. It could be a regular, recurring or even guest star in S7. Even assuming it's a regular star, in S7, CH had scenes mostly in the future but also in the present day, and even his future scenes included several present day characters who had been aged up. Plus, you can add in speculation that it's someone who he would have to work with in S8 but didn't want to, thus leading him to reject a regular role in S8. So who knows?

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

KM was at the ATX TV Festival yesterday (June 4), promoting her new CW series, Walker: Independence...

IMG_3010.jpg

(source)

ETA: For more from this event, go to the Walker: Independence forum thread here.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Michael Rosenbaum told CL that SA said that CL was "the OG mask wearer"...

Caity Lotz on Legends of Tomorrow End, Trouble on Tour with Avril Lavigne, Love for Directing & More
Inside of You with Michael Rosenbaum    Jun 7, 2022

• Useful 1
(edited)

Superman & Lois Season 2 Finale Brings Back David Ramsey's John Diggle
BY NOAH DOMINGUEZ   PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
https://www.cbr.com/superman-and-lois-season-2-finale-david-ramsey-john-diggle-cw-dc/ 

Longtime Arrowverse star David Ramsey is set to make his return to The CW's Superman & Lois in the show's Season 2 finale.

While speaking with TV Guide, Superman & Lois showrunner Todd Helbing confirmed that Ramsey would be reprising his role as John Diggle in the upcoming Season 2 finale, and that his appearance would directly set up the events of Season 3. Superman & Lois' Season 2 finale will also address the show's place in the overall Arrowverse.

‘Dead Boy Detectives’ HBO Max Series Brings Beth Schwartz Onboard as Co-Showrunner (EXCLUSIVE)
By Joe Otterson    June 9, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/dead-boy-detectives-hbo-max-series-brings-beth-schwartz-onboard-as-co-showrunner-exclusive-1235290103/ 

The “Dead Boy Detectives” series at HBO Max has brought on Beth Schwartz to serve as co-showrunner and executive producer, Variety has learned exclusively.

Schwartz will now co-showrun the series with Steve Yockey. This is not the first time Schwartz has been at the helm of a show based on a DC property, as she served as the showrunner on the final two seasons of “Arrow” at The CW. She is also known for the Netflix series “Sweet Tooth,” on which she was the co-showrunner for the show’s first season.
“Dead Boy Detectives” was ordered to series at HBO Max back in April with an eight-episode order. It is based on characters created for DC by Neil Gaiman and Matt Wagner.

The show is described as a ghost story that explores loss, grief, and death through the lens of Edwin Payne and Charles Rowland, two dead British teenagers, and their very alive friend, Crystal Palace.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

This weekend...

The Stan Lee's SuperCon, June 9-11, 2022 (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia)
Katie Cassidy (also Mehcad Brooks)
https://www.visitsaudi.com/en/events/the-stan-lees-supercon  

ETA: I only transcribed a few comments from these videos...

KATIE CASSIDY (Black Canary/Black Siren) MEHCAD BROOKS Jax in Mortal Kombat nasa Jeddah Saudi Arabia
RAYAN Official    Jun 10, 2022

-- KC: "I want to make it very clear to fans, I never decided to leave the show. I never wanted to leave the show... I was very upset that they killed me off. So it wasn't my choice. But I'm a team player and I understand from a writing standpoint now why you would kill off a lead, because then it's sending the rest of your cast into giving them stories. They're all going to react to that, spiralingl in their own different directions. So I understood why. And the second they asked me back, I was like, oh, yeah, absolutely. I love the show. I believe in it. I always will. You guys are like family to me. And I can't wait to [unintelligible words]. Um, so I was real excited."

-- KC: "I want to play Catwoman one day." MB: "I think I would make a fantastic Green Lantern."

MEHCAD BROOKS (Jax in Mortal Kombat) KATIE CASSIDY (Black Canary/Black siren) Live -Jeddah Superdome
RAYAN Official    Jun 10, 2022

-- On a fantasy fight between Black Canary and Jax, MB said that Jax doesn't hit women, so there wouldn't be a fight. KC: "Also, can you say Black Siren and Jax? Because Black Siren's got that deadly scream, so you can't even come close to me."

-- In response to a fan question about Oliver Queen (which I couldn't hear), KC: "For Oliver Queen? Oh, please, Oliver Queen doesn't [unintelligible words]." MB: "Come on, you gonna shoot an arrow at me, bro?" KC: "Yeah, yeah. And Laurel would be like, yeah, go for it. Kick his ass. He's an idiot."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

ETA: I only transcribed a few comments from this podcast...

288. Marc Guggenheim (Arrow, Legends, Green Lantern)
Hall of Justice (Seth Everett)    June 8, 2022
https://podcasts.apple.com/no/podcast/288-marc-guggenheim-arrow-legends-green-lantern/id1441260132?i=1000565903402 

Longtime executive producer Marc Guggenheim joined the podcast this week. ....

In this episode, he discusses the conception of the Arrow TV show, and how it ties into his writing role on the 2011 Green Lantern film starring Ryan Reynolds. He talked about the birth of the Arrowverse and then went into strong detail on the Crisis on Infinite Earths. He was pressed but gave up little information on his current project, the Green Lantern Corps TV series on HBO Max.

-- On the conception of the Arrow TV show, MG: "Basically what happened, uh, was that Greg [Berlanti] was originally under a deal at Warner Brothers... And then he left Warner Brothers to make a deal with ABC Studios - at the time it was called Touchstone Television. And that's where we did Eli Stone and that's where he - we did Brothers and Sisters. ... Greg, you know, starts thinking about, um, you know, ending his deal at ABC Studios and going back to Warner Brothers. And he has lunch with Peter Roth, who at the time was head of Warner Brothers Television. And says, you know, just talking about the ideas he has for shows. And Greg very specifically had an idea for how to do a Green Arrow show, um, you know, with the flashbacks and the island and everything... Peter's like, that sounds amazing. Um, Greg, uh, ends his deal at ABC Studios, comes to Warner Brothers. Um, the Green Lantern movie comes out. Now, uh, the Green Lantern movie experience was, shall I say, not a great experience for Greg, me... It is what it is... And the reason it wasn't a great experience was that basically it got taken away from all three of us [Greg, Marc and co-writer Michael Green]... They brought in another writer to rewrite us. Martin Campbell, you know, had his vision of the movie which differed from ours... And the reason I'm telling you all this is because, Green Lantern comes out and then in a - you know, a coincidence of remarkable timing, Peter Roth comes back to Greg and says, how about that Green Arrow show? And, you know, Greg had mentioned it to me and we were both talking about working on it together. But, uh, then Green Lantern comes out and it's like, do we really want to do this again? You know, do we want to be put through that meat grinder? ... We can't be associated with another failed DC property, much less another one with 'Green' in the title, jeez.... The arrangement that Greg worked out with Peter was that, we wouldn't be put through the meat grinder and we would retain full artistic, creative control. Because that was sort of the only circumstance under which Greg and I would be - were willing to do it... And Peter said, yes, yes, and yes. Um, we didn't develop the show in the normal, traditional fashion. Um, we basically said, look, we're not gonna do - like, normally you do a story area and an outline, and then you get notes on both. And then you go off to script and you get notes on that... And we're like, we're not doing all that. And this is going to be a lot more streamlined. What we're gonna do is, we're going to have two meetings. We will pitch at the studio level and we will pitch at the network level. And then if you like it, in a few weeks, you will get a script. And off of that script, you will decide if you want to make the pilot. Um, we're not doing the whole development process. There won't be an article in Variety, um, saying that we're working on this. Um, this will be simply be you reading the script and you saying 'yes' or 'no.' ... They said, fine. Uh, we did two pitch meetings. Um, we wrote the script. Uh, and they said, yes. ... We learned a lot from the Green Lantern experience.... The primary take-away lesson, and I think Greg would agree with me on this, is, we had to, you know, if we're going to go down, we're going to go down on our vision. We're not gonna, you know, be - be saddled by someone else's vision." He subsequently added: "I always say, if there was no Green Lantern, there is no Arrow."

-- On how they reached the decision to make Arrow so dark and edgy, and so different from the comics' Green Arrow, MG: "You know, it's funny, there's a variety of different versions of the Green Arrow... When Greg first mentioned the idea of doing a Green Arrow show to me, the first two comic books that came to my mind, um, that were touchstones for me, were The Longbow Hunters series by Mike Grell and, uh, Green Arrow: Year One, uh, by, uh, you know, Andy Diggle and Jock. ... Year One is proof of concept that you can get five years' worth of story out of the island. ... So, yes, we could've gone - there's a much lighter version of Green Arrow. Um, we didn't want to spin off of, you know, Smallville, mainly because we - that would have actually driven a lot of tonal choices... not the least of which being, then you're in a world of super powers, which originally was not our intention. Our intention was, there would be no super powers... It honestly is true... It wasn't until the middle of Season 1 that Greg started to - to think of like, oh, wait a second, we could - we could start expanding this out. Um, the original, original intent was that it would be totally grounded and, um, there wouldn't be, you know, any super powers. And the other sort of two influences in terms of tone and everything were obviously Batman Begins, um, and the whole Dark Knight trilogy. Um, but the other comp, as we like to say, was Homeland... The idea of Damien Lewis' character comes back home from a, you know, torturous, mentally and physically torturous experience, and he's changed, and you don't know how he's changed, and there's an element of danger there. ... That was a real touchstone for us... None of that, I think, would've worked in the Smallville universe.... That being said, you know, Smallville went off the air and we went on the air, and we basically inherited the Smallville crew and the Smallville stage sets... We are not a literal spinoff of Smallville, but we're an institutional spinoff of Smallville."

-- On expanding into the Arrowverse, MG: "It was never planned out as this massive thing. It was brick by brick... There was no, oh, we''re gonna do this, we're gonna do this, we're gonna do this. It was like, Greg had the idea of, like, you know, I want to do a Flash show... The Flash has always been Greg's favorite character... Ahd that was it... Arrow and Flash. ... And then, the next thing that happened is ... It's funny, a lot of these conversations just sort of start with someone at the studio or network going like, what about this? ... We'd been having our own internal conversations about this, so it's funny that it sort of paralleled. But Mark Pedowitz at The CW sort of like, he looked at like... he looked at sort of the shows and he's like, you're got all these characters that you've established... By this time, we had Season 4 of Arrow, Season 3 of Flash... We had Captain Cold and we had Heatwave. We had, you know, Canary. We had, you know, the Atom... You start to look at all these characters and you go, that's a potential show there... That's how Legends of Tomorrow happened. Meanwhile, Supergirl is getting developed on a totally different network. You know, that's why she's on a different Earth... She's on Earth-CBS." 

-- On the origin of Legends of Tomorrow, and how it changed from what it originally was to what it became, MG: "Basically, when The CW said, we'd like a third show, we originally were developing a Hawkman and Hawkwoman show. It started out as basically like a two-hander spinoff. ... Our problem was, the more we talked about it, the more we realized, what's different about this from Flash or Arrow? And the answer was, not enough... It wasn't different enough to justify its own show. Meanwhile, you know, Mark Pedowitz is doing the same math we are, which is, there is a group of heroes and villains that have been populating, you know, Arrow and Flash for a number of years at this point. Why not do an ensemble? ... We haven't done a superhero ensemble. Quite frankly, no one had done a superhero ensemble on television. Um, and that got us very excited. ... Let me rephrase your question... Why does Legends Season 1 suck so badly and how did you know to change it in Season 2? ... I actually don't think Season 1 sucks... I do think this. Um, in normal course of business, especially in network television, you do a pilot and the pilot shows you everything. The pilot shows you what's working, what's not working, oh, that scene plays really well, that doesn't play the way we thought it would, and, you know, this actor is great, this actor's really weak... You do the pilot. You take a break. And then you design the series off of the pilot. Um, we didn't do that. Um, we went straight to series with Legends. So that moment of post-mortem self-reflection didn't come at the end of Episode 1. It came at the end of Season 1. And the whole reason Season 1 and Season 2 and beyond are so different from each other is because of that conversation. Like, what's working, what's not working. Um, and we very intentionally sort of retooled the show in Season 2, um, really to match what was working, you know, and steering away from what wasn't working... So that's the reason why, if you were to watch those two seasons back to back, you'd be like, what the hell happened there? ... Again, I think Season 1 is often unfairly maligned... To me, the way I would sort of sum up the epiphany that we had was, we thought we were doing The Avengers when what we had was Guardians of the Galaxy." He subsequently denied any focus group influence and said: "It was us going, what works and what doesn't.... I always say like, as zany as Season 2 and beyond are, and they definitely got zanier, was, the DNA is in the first episode. That bar fight scene to 'Love Will Keep Us Together' ... like, that's the show. That's where the show, you know, is at its best... And, yeah, the show sort of evolved and got zanier as it went - very much to the good... Actually, one of the things I love about Legends is, I love shows that evolve and change... Again, you learn things, you try things... I hate shows that are frozen in amber... I don't have a need to watch those shows, because episode essentially becomes the same."

-- A lot of talk about Crisis On Infinite Earths, but I didn't bother to transcribe any of MG's comments from that discussion.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2
(edited)

I've updated my two recent posts above (regarding MG's Hall of Justice podcast and KC's Stan Lee SuperCon videos) to add a few transcriptions.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

STEPHEN AMELL & CASSANDRA JEAN
HELLO, BABY #2!!!

June 11, 2022
https://www.tmz.com/2022/06/11/stephen-amell-welcomes-second-child/ 

Stephen Amell's family just got a little bit bigger, because we've learned he and his wife, Cassandra Jean, have welcomed their second child into the world.

Sources tell us Bowen Amell was born in L.A. last month -- this is the second child for Stephen and Cassandra. The couple had their first, daughter Maverick Alexandra Jean Amell, back in 2013.
It seems Bowen was born via surrogate, as Cassandra didn't appear to be pregnant at a music festival in April ... just a month before Bowen came into the world. The whole family also attended an event just days before the baby's birth.

(edited)

Katie Cassidy discuss acting, Saudi fans and Jeddah’s heat at Stan Lee’s Super Con
Arab News   Jun 13, 2022

-- KC: "When it comes to action, I try and - I try and - I don't like to get ready. I like to be ready, as I like to say. So even when I'm not filming, I'm constantly keeping up with fitness and health and staying in shape, because that way, when an action role comes, I'm - it's seamless for me. So I don't have to worry as much about the physicality. And I am still in fight training, kickboxing, muay thai. Um, so I just keep up with that, so that when I do finally -  you know, when I am shooting, I can get into the head space of the character and do more of the artistic, uh, script analysis, back story, and focus more mentally on the character, rather than just the physical part, because the physical part will hopefully already be there."

Edited by tv echo

Inside Line: Scoop on Stranger Things, The Boys, All Rise, Heels, Sweet Valley, Call Me Kat, The Orville and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / June 13 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/stranger-things-will-steve-die-demobat-bite-season-4/ 

Do you have any info about Season 2 of Heels? –Steve V
What if I told you that Starz’s Stephen Amell-led wrestling drama will have some Arrow tie-ins during its sophomore run…?

Will Mia Smoak be returning to The Flash again in Season 8? –Michael
Persistence pays off, Michael! I finally got your Q to showrunner Eric Wallace, who reported back, “Not this year, but I do hope to have her back in Season 9.” Bonus scoop!: There is no predicting this week’s B-story, but it doesn’t take place in Central City and it is a doozy.

• Useful 1
(edited)

During the LoT panel at Planet Comicon on April 23, Brandon Routh was asked if he was told, when he joined Arrow as Ray Palmer aka The Atom, that he would be going to another show. He replied: "No... When I originally took the role of Ray Palmer on Arrow, it was to be for that whole - for the third season. And I thought that, with success, that maybe if the character took off, that they would, you know, maybe there'd be another show with the Atom or whatever... But not a whole other show with all of the wonderful people on Flash and all the other shows combined."

PCCKC Legends Panel Part 2
Alie Black   Jun 12, 2022

Edited by tv echo

From 'Arrow' to 'The Punisher': 10 Best TV Shows For the Darker Side of Superheroes
BY AIMEE MILLS  JUNE 14, 2022
https://collider.com/tv-shows-darker-and-grittier-superheroes/ 

Arrow (2012 - 2020)
Over its eight-year run, the writers at Arrow became professionals at tearing our hearts into a million pieces, so much so that we just grew to expect the pain, not that it made it any easier. The show was one of the earliest takes on the darker and grittier world of superheroes, and it definitely delivered some hard-hitting blows.

From beloved character deaths like Tommy and Quentin to mentally draining storylines like Prometheus and Oliver's torture, the show wasn't lacking emotion. Arrow may have ended two years ago, but the memories of Stephen Amell's fan-favorite vigilante will forever live on in our hearts.

(edited)

This fan tweeted a lot of video clips from Caity Lotz's panel at Fan Expo Dallas yesterday - here are just the ones touching on Arrow's Sara Lance...

-- CL: "At the beginning of Legends, yes. I think I had a hard time letting go of that dark Sara, um, because I liked - I did like her a lot. I liked how guarded she was, and tough and tortured. Um, and I love heavy drama... In the beginning, I was like, guys, that's why everyone loves Sara... We don't want to lose that essence of who she is. She is this, like, super strong and dark character. And then it just - the show kept getting lighter and lighter and lighter. And I think I was a little worried about losing the thing that everyone loved about Sara. But, over time, somehow I think - you know, Sara grew. She had to grow, as a character, as a, you know, person. And... it worked. So I think... I really enjoyed towards the end, getting to lean into the comedy a little bit more."

-- On whether she got to take home her superhero suit, CL: "You know, I didn't actually ask for it. I want the black one. But also, where am I going to put that? I have a very small house... Just have a big glass case."

-- CL: "'We're going to kill you off. You're done.' And then it was like, it's done, bye. They weren't like, 'Don't worry, because there's something else.' They were like, 'So sorry, bye.' Don't let the door hit you on the way out... And then it turned into Legends... I don't know if they knew. Honestly, I don't even know if they had that plan or it just kinda happened. I think Sara Lance was just this really amazing cockroach that you can't kill."

-- On what Legends Season 7 Sara would tell Arrow Season 2 Sara, CL: "I think she'd say, 'I know it sucks right now and I know it hurts, but it's gonna get better. And it's gonna get so much better. And you're going to be happier than you ever could've imagined you could be.' This is the same thing I would tell anybody that's struggling out there. It'll get better, I promise. It gets better."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

David Ramsey made a brief appearance as John Diggle in last night's episode of Superman & Lois (this scene had absolutely no connection to the rest of the episode)...

Superman & Lois 2x15 John Diggle Cameo Scene
SpoilerTV   Jun 29, 2022

FYI: Superman & Lois' showrunner Todd Wallace recently clarified that their show takes place on a different Earth, so this is a different Diggle.

Also, Flash showrunner Eric Wallace has explained why they wrapped up David Ramsey's Diggle story arc the way that they did recently on their show...

The Flash Boss Teases 'Awesome' Finale Reveals, Sheds Light on Wrap-Up of Diggle's Green Lantern-y Arc
By Matt Webb Mitovich / June 28 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/06/28/the-flash-season-8-finale-preview-why-diggle-green-lantern-ended/ 

During TVLine’s in-depth Q&A with Wallace — the bulk of which will be published Wednesday night after the finale — we also asked about how/why Arrow hero John Diggle’s “Green Lantern”-y arc was recently brought to a close, and quite randomly, as The Flash‘s season built to its own climax.

Simply said, The Flash was not renewed for Season 9 until after the script for the finale had been written, so anything preceding that assumed that the Arrowverse’s senior-most series would not be around much longer. Wallace thus felt a duty to bring Dig’s arc to a close.

“We were thinking, ‘Oh my goodness, we have to do this because maybe no one will get a chance to!'” Wallace told TVLine. “I talked to David [Ramsey] myself, and told him, ‘I’d like to give this some closure,’ and he was all in favor of it. And when I told him what we had planned, he thought it sounded fantastic.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

10 Episodes From The Arrowverse That Broke Our Hearts
BY AIMEE MILLS     JULY 6, 2022
https://collider.com/episodes-from-the-arrowverse-that-broke-our-hearts/ 

'Arrow' Season 2, Episode 20 - "Seeing Red"
Talk about a nail-biting and edge-of-your-seat experience! Episode twenty of Arrow's second season saw one of the most emotional of the show's early seasons. To get revenge, Slade Wilson gives Oliver (Stephen Amell) an impossible choice, to save his mother or sister.

It's one of the most mentally tormenting scenes between the Queen family, as Slade demands Oliver choose who will live and who will die, as he had done previously with Sara and Shado in a flashback on Lian Yu. Oliver begs Slade to kill him and let his family go, but he refuses and only insists on Oliver choose who will die. In a heartbreaking, brave stand, Moira Queen stands face to face with Slade, sacrificing herself for her children. From the look of pure heartache on Oliver's face to Thea's screams as Slade kills their mom in front of them, the sheer brutality alone made this a hard one to watch.
'Arrow' Season 6, Episode 23 - "Life Sentence"
A beloved member of the Arrowverse since the beginning, Quentin Lance appeared in over one hundred episodes during his time on Arrow, becoming a fan-favorite character very quickly, and remaining so even after his untimely death in the season six finale.

"Life Sentence" dealt us more than one emotional blow. Quentin and Oliver had one of their most emotional scenes when the latter told him that he'd had a great father figure in him, and Oliver revealed that he'd given himself up to the FBI so the rest of the team would be immune. Not only this, but the doctor broke the news that Quentin had suffered a seizure during surgery and had sadly died, leaving Team Arrow and us utterly devastated. Sara didn't even get a chance to say goodbye.

(edited)

Caity Lotz talked a lot about Arrow during her May 21 panel at Megacon Orlando (video only recently posted)...

Caity Lotz & Jes MaCallan - Legends of Tomorrow - AvaLance - Full Q&A Panel - MegaCon 2022
1BrokeGamerGirl    Jul 9, 2022

-- On when she fully owned her character, Caity Lotz: "There's different iterations of it because I think like Sara had to do that on Arrow, um, and find who she was... I loved how strong she was and kind of guarded and tough... And then when we did Legends, it was like [unintelligible word] a completely new character because all of a sudden all the lines and stuff, even in the pilot where I was like, Sara would never say this... Sara did not joke on Arrow. Sara was not like, heh, heh, heh, on Arrow at all. She was like dark. ... She was really, really dark and not - there was no - there wasn't humor. But Arrow was dark. And so it's just a different show. And that - that was interesting to find. And I don't know when - when I found it? I'm not sure. ... So I don't know. A lot of possibilities, though."

-- On whether she felt, when she joined Legends, that she was surrounded by a creative team that really "got" her and knew what she was capable of, CL: "No... Not like in a mean way, but there was a lot of characters and they were just trying to figure out what they were doing with the show. Um, and I think it was hard for me because I liked Sara on Arrow. And everybody - like, the fans loved Sara on Arrow. And all of a sudden they're like, yeah, but now we're gonna do something - like a different - and I was like... but we love this version. Like, this version works. Why are we doing something different? Like, why are we changing her? Um, but it - it was fun to kind of meld the two and make it feel like they could still be the same character."

-- On her favorite story arc, CL: "I loved the story arc for Sara on Arrow when we first kind of met her and really got to see, uh, the flashback stuff and when the League of Assassins were coming back for her and with Nyssa, like finding out about that whole thing. I think there was some really... just, you know, just so tortured. And it was such a cool storyline. So I quite liked that storyline the best, I think."

-- On how she felt her character evolved from Arrow to the ending of Legends of Tomorrow, CL: "I think you guys know... It's one of those things that's so much that it's kind of hard to put into words. But I think we just went from somebody who was a total lone wolf, um, and somebody who didn't like themself very much, and she grew into somebody who - I think, the thing that she learned was to not think about herself so much. I think, before it was like all about herself in a like down, dark way and - and, you know, she pushed everyone away. And so she just in this all the time. And then when she became the captain of the Waverider and started taking care of everybody else and, um, connecting with other people and having stuff that's outside of her beyond her, it kind of freed her from - from all of that stuff, because she just learned how to be of service to others, I think."

-- On her favorite episode and/or scene, CL: "It's easier for me to pick a favorite episode from Arrow because I didn't do as many... I think it was Season 2, episode 5... There was a lot of good stuff with Sara and her dad... That was probably my favorite episode... Yeah."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Colton Haynes and Katherine McNamara were at Montreal Comiccon this past weekend...

Entrevue avec Colton Haynes! // Interview with Colton Haynes!
Montreal Comiccon   Jul 9, 2022

Entrevue avec Katherine McNamara! // Interview with Katerine McNamara!
Montreal Comiccon   Jul 9, 2022

(edited)

David Ramsey had a joint Arrowverse panel with Danielle Nicolet at London Film & Comic Con yesterday (July 10)...

Stephen Amell was also at London Film & Comic Con, but he had a solo panel on July 10.

Edited by tv echo

Keto Shimizu, who went from being an Arrow writer to a LoT showrunner, recently did a Q&A with the @CampaignLegends twitter page, in which she revealed that she opposed killing off Sara at the start of Season 3 of Arrow...

FW1NpQLXwAET3Zf?format=jpg 

• Useful 1