Type keyword(s) to search

Star City News

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

Stars Who Almost Played Other TV Roles on The Originals, The O.C., Lost, One Tree Hill, True Blood and More
By Team TVLine / April 10 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/tv-actors-almost-played-different-roles/ 

ARROW
As Anna Hopkins told TVLine in our Memories From the Set feature, she first auditioned to play Arrow‘s Sara Lance. The part went to Caity Lotz, but Hopkins was later brought in to read for the part of a “journalist”… which she eventually learned was code for Samantha Clayton, the mother of Oliver’s secret son William!

Edited by tv echo

Kansas Citian is known for playing superheroes. Now she finds love on Hallmark Channel 
BY ROB OWEN     APRIL 10, 2022 
https://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/tv/article260036315.html 

“It’s very circuitous to me given that Hallmark originated in Kansas City,” says McNamara, who stars in “Love, Classified,” premiering at 7 p.m. April 16 on Hallmark Channel. “When the offer came through, I was quite thrilled to be a part of it.”
Romance novelist Emilia (Melora Harden) returns to her hometown and has to confront the children she left behind after the death of her husband, their father. Emilia’s daughter Taylor, played by McNamara, is a small-business owner who uses an app to find a potential love interest who turns out to be another woman, Franki (Arienne Mandi). The couple do share a kiss but it’s not the first kiss between a same-sex couple in a Hallmark program — “The Christmas House” in 2020 and the “Good Witch” finale in June got there first and second.
“The thing that I loved about ‘Love, Classified’ in particular is the message behind it,” McNamara says. “It’s a new chapter for Hallmark, and they’re taking this leap to telling a story that’s a bit more open. I love the fact that it’s just a story about letting love surprise you and letting love find you and and being open to whatever comes your way.”
McNamara said her first time back on a traditional set since the onset of the pandemic came last year with a guest role on The CW’s “The Flash,” reprising her “Arrow” character. “

On day two (of filming ‘The Flash’) I realized that I was happier than I’d been in two years, because I felt myself again. I had a purpose. I was back in my normal routine,” she says. “It’s the organized chaos of films. That is what I love and what I crave.”
As for McNamara’s upcoming work, she hasn’t gotten the call for another visit to the “Arrow”-verse but she may be back on The CW in the near future in a different capacity. She’s been cast in “Walker: Independence,” a pilot for a prequel series to The CW’s “Walker” (think: The CW version of what “1883” is to “Yellowstone”). McNamara will play Abby Walker, a high-society woman from Boston who moves West.

Edited by tv echo

KM talked mostly about her new Hallmark movie, Love Classified, but also talked a little about shooting the pilot for The CW's Walker: Independence...

Katherine McNamara live with Hollywoodlife April 12 2022
D-Di    Apr 12, 2022

KC talked mostly about her new movie, Agent Game, but there were a few Arrow-related comments (see below transcriptions)...

Agent Game (2022) - Katie Cassidy Interview
Down and Nerdy Podcast   Apr 11, 2022

-- Podcaster commented that he got Black Siren "vibes" when he was watching Miller (KC's character) in Agent Game, and asked KC if she thought there were any similarities between Black Siren and Miller.
KC:
"Um, I mean, I think, they're - not as much, because it - based off, you know, it being a grounded, real person, versus the Arrowverse in comics. So there is a little similarity, I guess, but I think Miller is her own powerhouse and her own brain and, you know, she's sort of like her own island. So I guess that's the similarity. Black Siren was kind of like her own island. Um, but obviously the fight training and weapon training and the action came in handy because when I - we signed on to this movie, you know, I was like, 'Who's the stunt coordinator?' And I was like, 'Great, I need to talk to him.' 'Hi. I actually know how to use weapons, so can I do all of the weapons - all of the things? Like, I don't need a stunt double, because it's not like I'm jumping off a building.' He's like, 'Dope. Yes.' ... If you've seen the trailer, there's like a moment where I'm doing some - with a gun and then I do this dope ass move and like - it was really cool. Uh, he - that's like sort of where that came from that wasn't - but it made it into the trailer and I was like, 'Yes!'"

-- Agent Game reunited KC with her former Arrow co-star, Annie Ilonzeh (who played Joanna, Laurel's BFF).

-- Podcaster asked, if Agent Game got a sequel, which of KC's former Arrow castmates would she love to see be a part of that sequel as a new character.
KC:
"David Ramsey... I love David motherf**kin' Ramsey! Sorry, I am going to go there, because I do. Uh, talk about - I love my people from Arrow. They're like family to me. ... It's funny because David - when you're shooting - when we were shooting, I actually - Season 1, I worked like two days an episode, and we shot nine-day weeks. And I was actually like, 'What?' I was in Vancouver. I was like, I want to work. When is my character getting to do something? My character didn't really interact much with David's character Season 1. A little bit more Season 2, not till the end. So David and I weren't really that close, but, like, because our scenes weren't really together. And then all of a sudden, like, it's three years in and now my character's in the lair and I'm part of the, like, the squat like, the team, like Miller, yeah, I'm like, yeah. Uh, so the second season. And then I'm like - I mean, I - just talk about an incredible human being, but people in general. When you're there all day, every day, then I was there regularly, they're family. David Ramsey, he's such a badass when it comes to action and martial arts. I mean, on set we were doing martial arts and jiu jitsu. Like, he comes from that world and, uh, he's a really hard worker. He's also directing. I think he's doing his own show, actually... He would totally gel well with us, if you know what I'm saying."

Edited by tv echo

Another KC interview to promote Agent Game, but she also talked a little about Arrow...

Popcorn and Soda|#41. Katie Cassidy | Agent Game
Tallal Azim    Apr 13, 2022

-- KC: "You know, I play actually Radiation Island. I don't know if you've heard about it. It's on the - I got it from the App Store. I found it during Arrow. I call it 'brain breaks,' so during setups and like - look, it's a lot. Uh, we have down time and I - again, like, I'm a little strange when I'm shooting. I like to sort of not be as social with anyone. I like to sort of just keep myself just - I mean, if it's a comedy, that's a whole other thing. But Arrow was no comedy and my character was not funny. Uh, she was tragic and then awesome. ... It's called Radiation Island. It's the best game ever. So in between takes I would literally like lock into my computer and I was - I just play on my Trackpad with my keyboard, you know, the W-A-S-E and, uh, in between takes, like John Barrowman would see me and I would be looking at my computer and I'd be like (Makes excited noises)... I would literally - like, I get very animated because I get so into it. He was like, 'What are you doing on your computer?' And I was like, 'Dude, I'm killing aliens and I was [unintelligible words].' Hello? Radiation Island." KC added that she wants Radiation Island adapted into a movie and that she wants to star in that movie (but not direct if she stars).

-- Mod asked KC, having been on Arrow, what she thought was the state of the superhero genre on both the big screen and the small screen, 
KC:
"Are you ready for this? You're not gonna love this. You're not gonna love it. I's enough. t's enough already. We've really, really played the superhero card for a long time, right after vampires. First it was vampires, not superheroes, which I love. Obviously, I played one. I also love vampires, too. But like let's just like do something new. You know, let's reinvent the wheel is sort of my take on it. Or let's - let's just be original and I just - not that we can't keep playing - having these characters. But I just - there's something to say about like original story and maybe new superheroes that we don't know, you know what I mean? Like, instead of continuously recycling the same story, like, I just - I don't know. I'm directing this movie, Daddy Issues. It's a raunchy comedy, and it's three female leads in their 30's trying to learn how to grow the f**k up but can't, due to their dysfunctional relationships that they had growing up with their fathers. It's one of the funniest scripts I've ever read. And I'm so excited to direct it. And I feel like this sort of like the 90's - going back to like a throwback, like this movie reminds me - it's so runny, it reminds me of like The Sweetest Thing, which was Cameron Diaz, Selma Blair and Christina Applegate. It was hilarious. And so it's like, again, like sort of nostalgia to the 90's, pre-craziness of the [unintelligible word] world and all of it. Um, but yeah, this movie, Daddy Issues, feels, uh, a lot like that. And obviously I can relate. I have three dads, so I have daddy issues... We're starting production this year, August, uh, four weeks in Australia and one week here in Los Angeles."

-- Mod: "Favorite character besides yourself on Arrow?"
KC:
"Nyssa."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Of her character in the upcoming Hallmark film Love, Classified (out April 21), Katherine McNamara says, “Taylor and I share one main quality, above all else, we are both workaholics.” No kidding. McNamara has been working since she was 13 years old. She had a lead role in two hit television shows — Mia Smoak on Arrow and Clary Fray on Shadowhunters. Since both of those shows ended in 2019 and 2020, respectively, McNamara has been in the Stephen King miniseries The Stand, as well as several horror films, plus she has a couple new projects on the horizon. McNamara’s Instagram bio describes her as a professional chameleon and with the amount of entirely diverse characters she has played, it’s a title she has earned.

.... Even when she is kicking ass, bloody and beaten, McNamara’s characters are consistently human and relatable. So even when she slips easily into the skin of a character in the 1800s — like in her upcoming TV series Walker: Independence — plays the daughter of a superhero —like when she was Mia Smoak on Arrow — or portrays the daughter of a romance novelist in Love, Classified, there is always that spark of vulnerability that is 100% McNamara. Maybe that’s what makes her so in demand no matter the genre.
Hiding and revealing identities is certainly a commonality between each of McNamara’s characters. Clary of Shadowhunters discovers that she is the daughter of the story’s main antagonist. Mia in Arrow is revealed to be the daughter of the show’s main couple. And in Love, Classified, the woman she matches up with on the fictional dating app becomes an unexpected catalyst to Taylor’s journey of self discovery.
.... In March it was announced that McNamara will be starring in The CW’s Walker: Independence, a prequel to the series Walker. Set in the 1800s, the show will feature McNamara as an ancestor of Jared Padalecki’s character. Also on the horizon is Jade, the directorial debut of Arrow’s producer and director James Bamford, starring Mickey Rourke. For this role, McNamara says that she will dye her hair blue and wear a prosthetic (from a quick Google search, I have a suspicion of what this prosthetic is, but I won’t say here). 

Edited by tv echo

Superman & Lois: David Ramsey Returns to Direct in "Truth and Consequences" Synopsis
By JENNA ANDERSON - April 14, 2022
https://comicbook.com/dc/news/superman-lois-david-ramsey-returns-direct-truth-consequences-synopsis-season-2-episode-11/ 

Spoiler

"DAVID RAMSEY ("ARROW") DIRECTS THE EPISODE – We pick up right where we left off with Jon-El (Jordan Elsass) smirking at Lois (Elizabeth Tulloch), who is still standing on the porch with Jordan (Alex Garfin). Jon-El, catches sight of his doppelganger Jonathan (Jordan Elsass), standing not too far away. He lunges at him and Jordan tries to intervene but Jon-El appears to be stronger and faster than him. Tyler Hoechlin, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Dylan Walsh, Erik Valdez, Inde Navarrette, Wole Parks, Sofia Hasmik and Taylor Hack also star. The episode was directed by David Ramsey and written by Andrew N. Wong."

Edited by tv echo

KATIE CASSIDY talks action, gun safety on set, AGENT GAME, and "Daddy Issues"
Behind The Lens Online    Apr 18, 2022

KATIE CASSIDY goes in-depth in this exclusive conversation taking about the action-packed spy thriller AGENT GAME, gun safety on set, and her upcoming directorial feature Daddy Issues.
One of the key components to making AGENT GAME as riveting and fraught with tension as it is is KATIE CASSIDY.

As black ops operative Miller, Cassidy delivers a cold and steely performance, infusing Miller with ambiguity as to her agenda and loyalties, not to mention mistrust of all around her.
Speaking with KATIE CASSIDY in this exclusive interview was pure joy.  Her enthusiasm and effervescence are as infectious as her passion and joy for her craft not only as an actor but in all facets of entertainment, most notably her upcoming feature directorial debut with Daddy Issues which is slated to film later this summer.  Diving right in, Katie, daughter of former teen idol and actor David Cassidy and granddaughter of actors Jack Cassidy and Evelyn Ward, understands and appreciates the rigors of the industry and being "third-generation show business".  She takes her acting roles seriously and strives for perfection with each while stretching herself personally and professionally.

Digging into her motivations for bringing her character of Miller to life in AGENT GAME, Katie is beyond enthusiastic in talking about the film, its non-linear construct, collaborating with director Johnson and her fellow cast, the action aspect of the film, and particularly that of Miller.  And Katie wants everyone to know that she did all of her own stunts and weapons work.  Given Katie's prior television work on Arrow, it comes as no surprise that Katie came into AGENT GAME with a strong foundation for action, but it's her level of skill and the depth of her knowledge about guns and gun safety on set where she gets really serious with one of the most passionate discussions about gun safety on set and responsibility that I have heard to date from an actor's perspective.

Edited by tv echo

SA looked back at his first Facebook Q&A in January 2013 - I only transcribed Arrow comments below...

-- SA did his first Facebook Q&A on January 19, 2013. At the time, he was filming episode 15 or 16 of Season 1 of Arrow. SA said that, by this time, viewers had watched the first 9 episodes of Arrow and just found out that Malcolm Merlyn was the Dark Archer. At the time, his wife Cass was pregnant, although they didn't know it yet.

-- SA: "Episode 16 was one of our very, very, very best episodes. It was directed by Glen Winter and it's the episode where I reveal myself to Tommy. But that was the episode, just thinking back to it, that Glen introduced transitions between the present day and the flashbacks."

-- SA: "There aren't a lot of episodes from the first season of Arrow that I'd want to go back and watch. You know, off the top of my head, it'd be fun to watch the first three episodes, less the second, but the third, 'Lone Gunmen,' I really liked. And then episode 9, episode 14, episode 16, those were episodes that really resonated for me."*

(* Arrow Season 1's episode 3, 'Lone Gunmen,' was the episode that introduced EBR's Felicity Smoak. Episode 9 was 'Year's End,' episode 14 was 'The Odyssey,' and episode 16 was 'Dead to Rights.')

-- In 2013, when asked if he might get a chance to direct an episode of Arrow, SA said then that it was "too early... to even consider that." Now SA said: "What I would have said in Season 4 and what I will say now is that my goal on Arrow was always - was really focused on taking my work and condensing it, because there was so much of it, so that I could then maximize my time off, so that I'm not randomly getting a Wednesday afternoon off. Starting in Season 5, I really worked with production to try to get the majority of Mondays off, unless there was, uh - unless there was an issue. We did that for a variety of reasons that we don't even need to get into right now. But what I really focused on - I couldn't focus on directing while asking for time off, because A, I would have had to have an episode off to prep, um, ish... off or light. And then for that ensuing episode, I'm there for every second of every day. Or it would have had to be the premiere, which... - I probably could've gotten the premiere in Season 7 or of Season 8. I could have directed on Arrow. But I instead really, really focused on being an advocate for - for, um, other people. I did that from a directorial standpoint with - I mean, David and Katie both got their, you know - they both got there because of the commitment that [it]they[/i] made. Both of them did the WB Directors Workshop. But I stood behind them a hundred percent. And any time we had a first time director, be it Katie, David, um, Mark Bunting, our first AD, Ken Shane, our first AD, who first got episodes, or my really, really good friend, uh, Sarah Hansen, who was TAD, who was ostensibly the lowest AD... on the pecking order, on the pilot, all the way to being our first AD or our alternating first AD in our final season. I took great pride in advocating for fellow actors and fellow workers moving up the ranks... That was my big thing. As for Heels, if we're taking that question forward, heeeee, I might change my tune on that one. I might want to direct an episode of Heels, if I got a chance."

-- In 2013, he was asked what it was like to work with John Barrowman, who was known to play pranks on set. Now SA said that he's never seen JB play a prank but that JB was always "fun" and always "uplifting." SA said that he hadn't worked with JB much at the time: "We actually had a scene together that was cut in a much earlier episode."

-- In 2013, he was asked which episode of Arrow he would submit for Emmy consideration. Now SA said that the episode would probably have been the one in which Tommy dies, except that that scene was "cut down considerably" because "the cut that was submitted by the director was like an hour and seven minutes." He was never so disappointed by the difference between what was shot and what ended up on screen. They had taken money out of other episodes and put it into the finale. SA said that he had spent two months learning Mandarin so that he could say this prayer over Tommy's body, which he was so proud of, but "it never saw the light of day."

-- In 2013, when asked if he worked with "real fire and flames" in episode 10, 'Burned,' of Season 1 of Arrow, SA said that they did. He now added "There were things that we were able to do in the first season of Arrow, and big set pieces, that we never got to do again. You know, people thought that, when they watched the second season of Arrow, we had more money to spend, because there seemed to be more scope to the show. That's not true. We had less money. When the show is a hit, they tighten the reins on you, because they're looking to recoup money for all the shows they commission that don't go anywhere. So your show, actually, the screws get tightened, so to speak. And that final sequence that we had, with all of the fire, that was crazy, that day. Um, I got to see a stunt guy go, you know, the full flames. ... It's kinda scary. It's uncomfortable. Like, as you're watching it, you want to make the best television show, but you also want to walk up to the person and go, I don't think you should do this. ... There's certain stunts, there's no good way to do it. ... Yeah, we worked with actual fire...."

-- When asked about his recent social post about having his abs back for Heels and how it compared to when he got in shape for Arrow, SA: "Season 1 and Season 2 of Arrow were a problem... I created an unrealistic expectation for how I was going to execute this part through the first couple of seasons, because I would work 14 hours, whatever. Days that I was shirtless, that was two hours plus because of the application of the scars and the tattoos. And I would get home late and I would get up early and I would go to the gym on my own. And sleep was not really a huge consideration. I almost took it as a badge of honor if I wasn't getting a ton of sleep. And that was burning the candle at both ends. And it was not sustainable at all. So on Heels, the fundamental difference is that we baked the training in to - we baked the training into the schedule... The process is different... We're not making 23 episodes of television, we're making 8... This feels closer to feature film making. ... This is something I've learned to stick up for. ... I got into Oliver Queen shape on my own. And after two years of burning the candle on both ends, I would get crippling anxiety about shirtless scenes because I didn't think I would be able to match my physique from the first couple of seasons because I didn't have the time, energy or bandwidth, and they - because I didn't allow them to or force them to, as the case may be - they didn't have the infrastructure to support me. We couldn't make it through the Arrow schedule if they built in gym time for me. Or maybe I just didn't know to ask for it enough. But you live and you learn. And those two seasons were incredibly important because it did get better on Arrow but it was never - ... It's always difficult to bake something in on the fly, as opposed to baking it in and building it from the ground up, you know. If the expectation from the beginning was, hey, Stephen's going to have to be in the gym, then they could've made that happen. But once you have the template for how you make 23 episodes of television, um, there's no going back and building it in. You know? It was never something that they could really prioritize. ... Again, no one's out to get you. No one's bad in this scenario. But it was just - it was just very challenging. Then again, I was also 30 years old... Basically 10 years from starting Arrow to starting Heels. And you learn a lot along the way."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2

This is the comedy, We Need To Talk, that EBR filmed a few years ago...

Emily Bett Rickards's New Comedy To Hold an Early Screening for Fans With Q&A
By RUSS BURLINGAME - April 22, 2022 
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/emily-bett-rickardss-new-comedy-to-hold-an-early-screening-for-fans-with-q-a/ 

We Need to Talk, a new comedy starring Arrow's Emily Bett Rickards, is coming to digital this May from Global Digital Releasing, and will allow fans a chance to see it early, complete with a live Q&A with the cast. The film, a comedy set in the world of gaming and influencers, stars James Maslow (Big Time Rush), Christel Khalil (who won a Daytime Emmy for The Young and the Restless), Johnathan Hernandez (Gossip Girl), Tray Chaney (The Wire), and a long list of cameos by real-world gamers and influencers. It hails from writer/director Todd Wolfe, director of the upcoming Adultland.

Wolf said in a statement that he hopes to invoke the same emotions as the comedies he loved growing up, including those by John Hughes, Harold Ramis, and John Landis. Fans can get tickets to the May 12th screening here.

"At its core, We Need to Talk is a romantically infused coming-of-age comedy centering on Great Scott...a pampered manchild who has been spoiled by his impulsive social media 'fan' base," Wolfe said in a press release. "In the vein of cult classics like Billy Madison and Tommy Boy, We Need to Talk has an inherent heartbeat that matches pace with its sometimes crude, locker-room-style humor."
We Need to Talk premieres on digital platforms May 13 from Global Digital Releasing. The public is also invited to a special screening of the film in which they can interact with the cast, see never before seen footage, and get merch.

ETA:
We Need To Talk Trailer (2022) - Emily Bett Rickards
Box Office Charm   Apr 24, 2022

Edited by tv echo

Russian Doll's Charlie Barnett On Season 2, His Character's Possible LGBTQ+ Storyline, And Arrow - Exclusive Interview
BY XANDRA HARBET    APRIL 21, 2022 
https://www.looper.com/839104/russian-dolls-charlie-barnett-on-season-2-his-characters-possible-lgbtq-storyline-and-arrow-exclusive-interview/ 

You also played John Diggle, Jr. in "Arrow." What was it like working with Kat McNamara and being on that set, and would you be willing to appear in the Arrowverse in the future? And what's your favorite? Which one would you like to be in? Which show?
I'm never going to say no to a job, but oh, it was really fun. It was an unexpected thing. I was not a fan of "Arrow" prior. I wasn't even a big fan of comic books as a kid. I got into them later in life. Honestly, a lot through Yuri Sardarov, [who] opened my eyes while working on "Chicago Fire." My partner is a huge ... he grew up watching Batman and the Joker and all the cartoons and stuff. I've had a love interest that drew me in, and it was so much fun because it was something different. 

I've never gotten to play a supervillain/superhero, not [the] same word, depending on what side you're on. I really wanted to, and I went into that audition thinking "Whatever, they're not going to cast me. It's f****** CW." I'm sorry, cast, but it's CW, they want somebody [aged] 22 and beautiful. I'm weird," [but] they did. They took a chance, so I was really happy.
It was such a fun one, but Kat is one of those women that ... Not to dog on the men in my life, because they were a lot of great men in my world that I look up to, but I feel like I meet women in this industry specifically who are the most powerful living souls I've ever met. [They have] abilities that are ... I can't even imagine.

Kat can do everything in anything she puts her mind to. A person like that is someone that ... I need to latch on and understand how [to] do it. I'm always blown away by her. I did also get to work with her on a friend's really small budget film in Texas. I didn't even know Kat was going to be there. I walk in, and I was like, "Kat!" We had a lot of ... We were there for like one day. It was like passing ships in the [night] but...

Can you name-drop it?
I can. God, what is it called? "Dance Dads." They might change the [name], but it says, "Dance Dads" — bunch of friends. We'd started getting together after a lot of the COVID restrictions came up, and we were like, "F*** it. We're not working right now. Let's go do something for fun and reinvest our own love of this industry into our own work." Two of my friends, Brock Harris and Jared Bonner, are the directors and writers and also starring in it, but they are friends with Kat and me as well.

Edited by tv echo

Even though We Need to Talk's digital release date isn't until May 13, this guy apparently watched it already and really liked it,,,

-- JJ Lomas: "I was kinda disappointed that Emily Bett Rickards was only in it for six or seven minutes total."

We Need to Talk - Movie Review
JJ Lomas Entertainment   Apr 26, 2022

• Love 1
(edited)

'Arrow': 11 Episodes That Show the Best of Felicity Smoak
BY LLOYD FARLEY     PUBLISHED 2 DAYS AGO
https://collider.com/best-felicity-smoak-arrow-episodes/ 

... Funny, awkward, and good-hearted, Felicity became an essential part of the team and its heart, as evidenced below.
"Time of Death" (Season 2, Episode 14)
.... Throughout the episode, there's an underlying storyline revealing how inadequate Felicity feels within the team before realizing her talents are needed, a broad range of emotions brought to life by Rickards.
"Due Process" (Season 7, Episode 6)
.... Rickards sold how someone as good as Felicity could be changed into someone you actually believe is capable of killing a man - and eventually, in an erased future, become a villain with a plan to destroy Star City.
"The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak" (Season 3, Episode 5)
... Rickards proves she can carry an entire episode on her own, and as a bonus we are privy to the sweet relationship between Felicity and Donna.

"Lone Gunmen" (Season 1, Episode 3)
"The Odyssey" (Season 1, Episode 14)
"Time of Death" (Season 2, Episode 14)
"City of Blood" (Season 2, Episode 21)
"Underneath" (Season 5, Episode 20)
"Due Process" (Season 7, Episode 6)
"The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak" (Season 3, Episode 5)
"We Fall" (Season 6, Episode 11)
"Uprising" (Season 3, Episode 12)
"You Have Saved This City" (Season 7, Episode 22)
"Fadeout" (Season 8, Episode 10)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

EBR clip from We Need to Talk...

We Need To Talk (2022) - It Was All A Test | MOVIE CLIP
Todd Wolfe   May 2, 2022

Katrina Law on the cover of TV Guide (as part of NCIS cast)...

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Also in KL news...

‘NCIS’ Actor Katrina Law Joins Frank Grillo In Werewolf Horror-Thriller ‘Year 2’
By Matt Grobar    May 2, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/05/katrina-law-joins-frank-grillo-in-werewolf-horror-thriller-year-2-1235014222/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Katrina Law (NCIS) has signed on to star opposite Frank Grillo in the horror-thriller Year 2, from director Steven C. Miller (Line of Duty), which is heading into production this month.

One year ago, in the film written by Matthew Kennedy (Inheritance), a supermoon event caused a latent gene to turn everyone exposed to the moonlight into a werewolf for one night. Millions died—and now, the supermoon is back. Law is playing the brilliant geneticist, Dr. Amy Chen, who goes on a dangerous journey with Grillo’s character to saved loved ones, against a ticking clock. Myles Nestel (Blacklight) and Craig Chapman (Honest Thief) will serve as Year 2‘s producers.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Katherine McNamara and Joseph David-Jones were at Starfury's The Ultimates: Crisis con (in Birmingham, England) this weekend...

Caity Lotz was also at this con (fyi, she just announced her engagement to actor Kyle Schmid)...

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

At next weekend's Motor City Comic Con, Katie Cassidy and Caity Lotz are scheduled for a joint panel on Saturday, May 14, at 10:30am ET...
https://motorcitycomiccon.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Event-Schedule.pdf

MAY 14, 2022
10:30 - 11:20
KATIE CASSIDY/CAITY LOTZ PANEL

Things aren’t always black and white but today we are bringing you Black
Canary and White Canary actresses Katie and Caity to share some insight
into the crossover worlds of the CW’s Arrowverse.

Also next weekend, at Tidewater Comicon in Virginia Beach, VA, Brandon Routh is scheduled for a solo panel on Saturday, May 14, at 3:00pm ET...
https://www.tidewatercomicon.com/about/schedule/

SATURDAY PANELS
3pm-3:45pm ... Q&A Session with Brandon Routh! Star of Superman Returns and known for his many roles in Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, Arrow, The Flash, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, and many more.

(edited)

TIME TRAVELING
Legal Dispatch 0.21

Marc Guggenheim   May 10, 2022
https://marcguggenheim.substack.com/p/time-traveling?s=r 

It may be a few days before I publish this edition of LegalDispatch [EDIT: See? True to my word.] but yesterday (as of this writing) Neal Adams passed away. Neal’s impact on the comic book industry — and, more importantly, the art form of comic books — cannot be overstated, nor should it be. “He changed the game” is praise that cannot fairly be bestowed on many artists, but it’s not only apt to Neal, but applies to several games: Batman. Realistic art. Socially conscious comic stories. Artist rights. The list goes ever onward.
e5e4bf80-8b72-4bfe-abfc-f5618b956955_281

This is the “police sketch” seminal Green Arrow artist Neal Adams produced for Arrow Season 6
On Friday, May 6 (yesterday, as of this writing), George Pérez passed away after a battle — as heroic as his creations’ — with pancreatic cancer.

I never had the privilege of meeting George in person, but we did correspond via email, most often when I was working on adapting his epic Crisis on Infinite Earths to live action. To say that George was a huge influence on my own work is an understatement as huge as the epic scenes often depicted in his art. He was a master of the craft and, arguably, the greatest comic book artist who ever lived.
7832876e-8b27-44f8-b213-3b19a0755dc0_971

In keeping with an apparent theme, this is the “police sketch” George drew of the Vigilante (who he co-created with Marv Wolfman) for Arrow Season 5. He gifted it to me afterwards and it hangs proudly in my home office.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

EBR has been doing some interviews for We Need to Talk (which is being released on demand today), but in the following ET Canada interview, she also responded to two Arrow questions, described her audition for the Nickelback music video, and explained why she's been absent from performing for the past two years...

Emily Bett Rickards On The Possible Return Of 'Arrow', New Movie 'We Need To Talk' | EXTENDED
ET Canada    May 12, 2022

-- Shakiel Mahjouri (ET Canada): "Obviously, you know, a lot of people came to be familiar with you through Arrow. Felicity Smoak. It was supposed to be kind of a one-off appearance and, from what I understand, everything just gelled so well and everyone involved was so happy with it that you end up becoming a very integral part of that show. I read that Stephen Amell - shout-out to our fellow Canadians - is one of the people who - who sort of advocated to have Felicity reappear. Do you remember anything from that time in regards to Stephen sort of pushing or advocating for more of you in that show?"
EBR:
"Yeah. I mean - I - Stephen always had my back and, um - in, like, you know, more ways than one. We were a great team for so long. And, um, yeah, I think a lot of people didn't really know what to do with me, to be honest. Like, I didn't even know. Like, you know, you're writing a show, you're the third episode of a brand new show, you hope it goes a long time. And we went, you know, eight seasons. But the reality of it is, like, most shows go a season. And so you just - you just don't know... Like, you're building the story and I think that's the best part of writing and creating something, um, you know, especially  - especially like Greg, who's - who is our showrunner and creator. Like really building a world. And so it's finding those places that people fit in. And I don't know, I'd have to ask him, like, did you see eight, like, eight separate shows going all at once? Like, did you see that? Or did you want to start like - and it kind of just goes along, right? ... Like a Russian doll. It keeps going."

-- Shakiel Mahjouri (ET Canada): "Stephen Amell recently stated about a month ago that he'd actually be interested in doing a ninth season, either a limited run or a full run, um, maybe some more blood in there. He said - I think he wants to mature it up a little bit. Would you have any interest in returning, should there be a ninth season?"
EBR:
"Wow. Hilarious. I've actually never been asked that... I was a huge fan of Veronica Mars. Like, I was a die-hard Veronica Mars fan. I still am. I love Kristen Bell. I think anything she does, I'd watch it. When the Veronica Mars like movie came out and, like, fandom was all about it, it's like a fan-based movie, I understand that and I understand like working with people, um, that like you'd want to work with again and also characters that you start missing. So - I don't know, it would be - it would be interesting. Yeah, I think - I also think like there's - there's opportunity for it. But maybe more time needs to pass. Like, there's something special about like Veronica Mars coming back so late. Like, I was older and I was just like, oh my goodness... Like these characters still live on. And I think that's - that's what's always so interesting about  like film and TV, you know, that aren't based on - I shouldn't say 'real lives,' but, you know, people who we know were here and - and, um, but you - you kind of only see like the clips of the lives that, you know, we, the team, are showing you, or get shown. And, um, it's like what happens in between all those things."

-- Shakiel Mahjouri (ET Canada): "Memories from the 2009 Nickelback music video, 'Never Gonna Be Alone'? ... You played Woman."
EBR:
"I did. I played Woman, which I still play on a daily basis. Um, the audition process was in a dark room with a casting director, who said, 'Okay, stare at this X on the wall.' I was like, okay, I got this. And she was like, 'And now the X disappears'... and she's like, 'And you're sad about it.' And I was just like, oh, sh*t!  And I just like started becoming sad. (Laughs) I walked out and I was like, who knows, you know, it's a big audition... Maybe I got it, maybe I didn't. Called my mom. Are you proud of me? You know, it's a big deal."

Associated article:
Emily Bett Rickards Has ‘No Filter’ Playing ‘Chaotic-Chaotic’ Character In ‘We Need To Talk’
By SHAKIEL MAHJOURI    May 12, 2022
https://etcanada.com/news/895571/emily-bett-rickards-has-no-filter-playing-chaotic-chaotic-character-in-we-need-to-talk/ 

“What’s really important for me is having a creative outlet that’s not work involved as well,” she shares. “So whatever that means. I think a lot of people are like ‘I’m not a creative person.’ Everybody has creativity. Every single person. If you are a being of this Earth, you have creativity. Find out what that bliss part is.”

To that effect, Rickards took a two-year hiatus from performing not long after “We Need to Talk” wrapped up production in 2020.

“So after I did, ‘We Need To Talk’, I went to New York and I did an off-Broadway show there,” she says. “After that, I decided to take some time off. I wanted to write and spend time with my family because even though I was working at home, during those eight years I wasn’t seeing my family a whole lot. I didn’t realize that until it was all over.

“Some really important family members had passed away and some big life-changing moments happened that I just wasn’t really present for and that became a very important notice for me. I think I needed time to sort of be without any input creatively. I came home after New York and I kind of just sat there catatonic for a little bit and just sort of digested, metabolized what had happened for the better part of my twenties. Now there’s some fresh air around and that’s nice.”

This time away from performing has had a meaningful impact on allowing Rickards to recalibrate.

“Some of it was forced and some of it becomes the thing you think you’ve chosen,” she says. “I think that that’s life, too. You kind of are there and then you get the jitters. I mean like, Oh, I want to be working.’ And then it’s like, ‘Oh, I chose this. Like, what?

“Where is that uncomfortably and sort of learning what that uncomfortably is and how I personally at least deal with it has been a very interesting revelation for getting to know myself?”

Another interview:
Rickards and Tray Chaney Chat Gamer-Comedy We Need To Talk
BY TIM KRAFT    MAY 12, 2022
https://movieweb.com/emily-bett-rickards-tray-chaney-we-need-to-talk/ 

Rickards shared a similar sentiment, also noting that James was great to go back and forth with when delivering jokes in the script as well as capturing them in the moment of banter, as her character acts as an antagonist to his. “James’ character just wanted answers, and so I feel like from that objective, it’s just about hearing what is getting thrown at you and sifting through… James himself, he’s easy going and present and was able to take Amber through his character.”

Rickards continued, expanding on Amber, “Perhaps the ticket was that she was chaotic and had long chunks of dialogue without much particular grammar, which is always freeing for a character because that means they’re flying by the seat of their pants.”
We Need to Talk has plenty of locker-room-styled moments, but it also leaves viewers with a message to take home; appreciate those who truly care for you. Which can be easily forgotten with all the modern distractions at our disposal. “I think it’s easy to connect because no matter what age you are, or what decade you were born in, by now you have a screen, a black mirror in front of you… and debatably that is a type of presence but just in a different way, but at least in my opinion, I’m not an AI yet. So, I think that the people around me are the ones that help me feel more like humanity isn’t just this one sludge heading towards darkness.” Joked Rickards.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

EBR is getting praise for her (too brief) performance in We Need To Talk...

We Need to Talk Review : James Maslow is brilliant in this sweet, self-motivational film
by Ron Trembath   May 10, 2022
https://moviehole.net/we-need-to-talk-review-james-maslow-is-brilliant-in-this-sweet-self-motivational-film/ 

It would also be unfair, and unwise, not to mention that We Need To Talk benefits immensely from having an incredible cast appearing throughout the film. The film’s key player, Scott (Great Scott, if you will), is portrayed brilliantly by James Maslow, and does a great job of making you feel just enough pity for the guy but with sprinkles of resentment due to his obvious cowardice. And while I would have loved to see more of the always great Emily Bett Rickards, the moments that she is on screen are an absolute delight, as to be expected. And a big shoutout to Johnathan Fernandez for making one of the most stable characters in the film still manage to be extremely intriguing.

WE NEED TO TALK
By Jason Delgado | May 12, 2022
https://filmthreat.com/reviews/we-need-to-talk/ 

The core cast of Maslow, Khalil, Johnathan Fernandez as Scott’s video editor and buddy Joe, and Emily Bett Rickards as Aly’s outspoken best friend Amber are all convincing and entertaining in their roles. They find the right balance between the comedy and drama. The supporting cast is also great at embodying the trash-talking yet close-knit community of gamers.
Overall, I enjoyed the gamer community that We Need to Talk recreated. The interactions between Scott and Amber were my favorite scenes because of the raw and open character played perfectly by Rickards. She’s one of the few characters who see through Scott’s BS and actually calls him out on it in a funny way. More of Rickards would have been great, but maybe we’ll see that in a sequel titled something like We Need to Talk 2: This Time it’s Serious.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

25 Acting Duos Who Were So Perfectly Cast Together, They Are Too Good To Go Unnoticed
by Lauren Garafano   May 6, 2022
https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurengarafano/tv-moms-and-kids-that-look-alike

We asked the BuzzFeed Community which TV kids and parents look so alike, they could be related IRL. Here's what they said:
10. Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) and Mia Smoak (Katherine McNamara) from Arrow
"They look so similar!!! William and Oliver look pretty similar too. The Arrowverse in general does a really good job with this."

—aught

The Arrow Scene That Gets Fans Teary-Eyed The Most
BY JACOB WILLEFORD     MAY 6, 2022 
https://www.looper.com/855299/the-arrow-scene-that-gets-fans-teary-eyed-the-most/

... Even with the team often featuring characters like Roy Harper's Red Arrow (Colton Haynes), Laurel Lance's Black Canary (Katie Cassidy), and Rene Ramirez's Wild Dog (Rick Gonzalez), the core group is always Oliver, Diggle, and Felicity. 
Fans get teary-eyed when Felicity can walk again
According to fan comments on YouTube, one of the scenes that gets them the most emotional throughout all of "Arrow" involves Felicity and Curtis Holt, aka Mr. Terrific (Echo Kellum), during the Season 4 episode "Code of Silence." Team Arrow is in the middle of trying to track down H.I.V.E. while Felicity supports them as Oracle, although this time she's still in the wheelchair after being paralyzed by the criminal organization during "Blood Debts" a little while back. However, at the end of "Code of Silence" during Oliver and Felicity's commitment party, Curtis gives Felicity a microchip that he developed that will help her walk again, possibly in time for her and Oliver's wedding.

It's a very emotional scene for the characters as no technology had yet been developed for this to even be possible, and fans loved it. User Jake McAuley noted: "I'm not even emotionally invested and this made me teary." Another user named Chuck Jones wrote that it might be their favorite scene in the series due to Curtis using his genius to help someone "without a second thought." Users Kaitie Allsup and Damian Hall both noted that it made them smile and cry happy tears, especially seeing Felicity and Oliver's emotional reactions to the gift.

Although there are certainly a lot of tear-jerking scenes in "Arrow," it's pretty hard to beat a moment that features such a selfless gift. All episodes of "Arrow" are streaming on Netflix.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

I'm surprised that this MG pilot didn't go forward (fyi, the cast would've included Juliana Harkavy and Kacey Rohl)...

Today, we got the news that our pilot for a continuation of LA Law won’t be going forward at ABC.

As I believe I’ve mentioned, this was my dream gig, the one I’ve been readying for all my life, starting with wearing out the VHS tapes watching and re-watching and re-rewatching the episodes I dutifully recorded every Thursday night for eight years.

When a pilot doesn’t go to series, it’s usually because it’s not very good. However, that is absolutely not the case in this instance. Anthony Hemmingway directed a simply incredible hour of television (well, 44 minutes and 22 seconds). And the folks at ABC/Disney really liked the pilot — but there were two pilots that they thought would have a greater chance of success with.

My friend, the brilliant writer Michael Green, likes to say “This is a hard business for people who care.”

Michael, per usual, is right.

I take solace in two things. First, I helped write and produce the 173rd episode of LA Law. If you’d told my 16 year-old self I would one day do that, he would have asked what you were smoking.

Second, we assembled a group of talented actors, producers, and artists who came together to make a show and ended the experience as a family.

Obviously, I’ve spent the day on the phone, on email, on text commiserating with the partners who have become a family.

c9270ba5-095a-43d1-86b4-08c03378088f_403

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

EBR: "On the film front, I have some cool stuff coming out around September." ....

Exclusive Interview: Emily Bett Rickards Talks We Need to Talk, Her Love for Comedy, and More
BY KEVIN     MAY 13, 2022
https://pop-culturalist.com/exclusive-interview-emily-bett-rickards-talks-we-need-to-talk-her-love-for-comedy-and-more/ 

PC: You’ve done it all throughout your career. What was it about Amber that attracted you to this project?
Emily: The audition was a full scene of straight beats. She’s full of comedy beats, and doing comedy brings me alive. It’s an indie film with a comedic character. I was like, “This is a perfect fit.” She pops in, she pops out. She has no filter. That was really, really fun. Lifting her off the page was incredibly easy and fluid.
PC: There’s such great chemistry that comes off the screen between you and the rest of the cast. How were you all able to build that bond? Was that natural from day one?
Emily: It was natural. I was on set for less than twenty hours. I flew in one day, and I did my scenes. Then I had to go to New York to do a show. Johnathan [Fernandez] and I have stayed really close. It wasn’t like we knew each other for less than two days. It’s been great, and I’ve made easy connections.
PC: Is there a scene that you’re really excited for your fans to see when the film drops later this week or a favorite one-liner of Amber’s?
Emily: Amber is so fun. “You’re toast” is my favorite line that I’ve ever gotten to say on a project. I think about that line all the time. I’m trying to find ways to apply it to my own life. It feels so ’90s, like you’re biking away from another kid and you’re like, “You’re toast.” She says it right to his face. Watch out for that.

PC: Besides We Need to Talk, what’s next for you?
Emily: I have a brand called KissX Club. We’re relaunching some new products with a company out of Mexico. Then we’re also doing a summer launch, which is so great. On the film front, I have some cool stuff coming out around September.

PC: You’ve brought so many dynamic characters to life on the screen. What is your vetting process like when you’re deciding what projects you want to go out for?
Emily: Honestly, I never think I’ll be good for a project unless I’m frightened by it. If I don’t connect with the character or I don’t totally understand it, I either have to accept that it’s not for me or I have to go talk to somebody about it who knows more about it and have that tactical collaboration.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

During Katie Cassidy and Caity Lotz's joint panel at Motor City Comic Con yesterday (May 14), KC apparently confirmed that Arrow's original Black Canary plans changed, which upset her...

Google translations of above two tweets:

🔊| At the motor city comic con, Katie Cassidy revealed that originally when she was cast, Laurel Lance would likely become the Black Canary at the end of Arrow's S1. But that changed and she later found out that whoever would be the canary first was her sister (Sara).

She said that at first she was upset, but then she met caity and was happy that they cast someone "so amazing" and the 2 became great friends.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

This fan tweeted a lot from the KC/CL panel at Motor City Comic Con on May 14 - here are some of her Arrow-related tweets...

(Continued below)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Katherine McNamara will most likely be part of this panel, since she is the star of Walker: Independence...

‘Walker: Independence’ Screening & Panel Announced for ATX TV Festival
By Briar    May 13, 2022
https://www.nerdsandbeyond.com/2022/05/13/walker-independence-screening-panel-announced-for-atx-tv-festival/ 

ATX TV Festival has announced that the newly picked up series Walker: Independence will have a screening of the pilot, as well as a panel.

The screening will take place on Saturday, June 4 at the State Theatre. The panelists are still to be determined.

According to the ATX TV Festival schedule, the Walker: Independence panel is scheduled for Saturday, June 4, at 10:00am (CDT).

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

During Saturday's Titans panel at Motor City Comic Con, Brenton Thwaites apparently revealed that he declined to appear in Crisis On Infinite Earths...

EXCLUSIVE: Brenton Thwaites On “Crisis” Cameo, ‘Nightwing’ movie, and ‘Pirates 6’
Uday Kataria    May 16. 2022
https://www.thecosmiccircus.com/exclusive-brenton-thwaites-interview/ 

*Here is Brenton Thwaites quote from the Motor City Comic Con Titans Panel on 5/14/2022

Q: When you had your moment in the Arrowverse “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossover, did that sort of feel like a nice warm hug from the larger franchise, that like, “Oh! They’re including us on this!”

BT: I actually decided not to do that. I mean I know that my image is in it. But I… I declined because of the reason I said before, we’re creatively a different show, and I’m very proud of Titans.

You know, all of the people involved, the camera crew, the writers, the producers; And to just bring in another show and crossover and say, let our characters we’ve developed and we’ve brought to the screen – you know, the costumes we’ve designed, the relationships that we’ve developed, the emotional arcs and journeys that we’ve gone on…

It’s not better or worse, it’s just different, unique. And I find it’s creatively a little bit of a… attention grab, I think, to crossover if it doesn’t really support both storylines. If it does, great. If the stories are really enriched and kind of drawn out and follows this wonderful arc that interweaves with the other then fantastic. But if it’s really just for a cross-promotional thing then it feels funny to be a part of it.

Edited by tv echo

Review ‘We Need to Talk’
 May 14, 2022
https://theextramile.ca/review-we-need-to-talk/ 

... Emily Bett Richards is marvelous in her role as the devious, highly spirited, foul-mouthed girlfriend who is hellbent on breaking up Scott and Aly at any cost. We all need such a devoted friend in our lives looking out for our interests.  Does she succeed?  Well, you’ve got to see the film and find out for yourself. ....

(edited)

This podcast is hosted by former New Girl co-stars and real-life friends Zooey Deschanel, Hannah Simone, and Lamorne Morris (I only transcribed Arrow-related comments)...

A Conversation with Stephen Amell
Welcome to Our Show   May 16, 2022
https://omny.fm/shows/welcome-to-our-show/a-conversation-with-stephen-amell 

-- SA said that 2010 was his first year acting in the U.S. and he booked some guest spots. Then in 2011, he became a regular on Hung (HBO). While on Hung, he was allowed to do some more guest spots, including on CSI and 90210. He was offered a role on Private Practice. He also got a guest spot on New Girl. When he auditioned for New Girl, he had no comedy experience, so he got coaching before the audition. SA said that he came "close" to getting a lot of roles back when he did New Girl. For example, he was flown to New Zealand to audition for the lead role in Spartacus. SA said that if Hung had been renewed for a fourth season and ratings were good, then he would not have been available to audition for Arrow.

-- On how he approached being Number 1 on the call sheet for Arrow, when they had so many people coming and going on that show, SA: "What I tried to, as best I could, as an acting partner, be whatever you needed me to be. Because I had so much work on my plate, the way that I would prepare, would be to just know the script from front to back, from top to bottom, almost know it - almost know everyone's lines. Not memorize them per se, but just - I've got a really good capacity for knowing where we are in the story, what's happening, what's important from a continuity standpoint. To the point where I would have crew members come up to me and say, 'When you stop a blocking for a scene because of a continuity problem, it's really annoying, but principally it's annoying because you're almost always right.' ... But when it came to acting, it's like, well, what kind of scene partner are you? I worked with people that were - that learned their lines word for word, word perfect. If you gave them a revision before we started shooting - I mean, like the night before or the day of - it would really shake them. I worked with people that worked more like me, which is more - not improvisational, but I'm never word perfect. I like to be about 90% of the way there, so I can find the rest 10 - find the final 10%... I just try to be almost like... It's okay, hey, it's my house, but you're my guest, and I'm serving the meal and there's a bunch of different stuff for you to choose from. Choose what you want and I'll eat what you're having - type of thing."

-- SA: "The only problem that you run into sometimes, in that position, is that you're going to be having plenty of exchanges with people that are in my head and then out of my head, because I'm on to the next thing, and it stays with them. Right? So sometimes I'll say something or - I ran into a situation where I was - I kinda made a flippant joke when we were, not even blocking a scene, but we were putting the scene on its feet, we were just saying the words. And I made a joke while someone else was speaking and - um, again, because it was the beginning of the day, we were an hour and a half away from shooting - and, um, that actor* pulled me aside afterwards and said, 'This is a really big moment for me and I really prepared and I didn't appreciate what you just did.' And I was really taken aback, like, wow, I certainly didn't mean any offense, and I apologized. And I always tried to be more conscious of that going forward. But it left me thinking, and this is an answer that I'll never know the answer to this, but it left me thinking, how many other times have I done that? ... How many times have I thought that an exchange with someone or a scene or something went well, and that other person because of what it meant to them relative to what it meant to me ... not that it's more significant or that I don't care about every scene, but it's just different. ... The incident that I'm talking about, I think it happened six or seven seasons into Arrow. ... It was such a gift and I'm able to carry it forward. ... There's no handbook for this."

(* IIRC, SA has related this same story in previous interviews and identified Rick Gonzalez as the actor who pulled him aside.)

-- SA: "I gripped very, very, very tightly for the first couple of seasons on Arrow and was short-tempered. Never to anyone and never disrespectful to anyone. But I just - my fuse would get short and I would focus on things that weren't as important, be it someone's cell phone ringing or buzzing, for that matter, or someone walking in the background. And then I had the great fortune to go between Season 3 and Season 4 and film for two months in Manhattan, where nobody cares. Not that people weren't professional, but you're out there on the street and people are yelling your name and, you know, a million different things are happening. And it wasn't until I had that experience that I realized what a curated, cultivated, safe environment they had created for me on Arrow. And I went back and had this real, newfound appreciation for the whole thing."

-- On also having to train a lot during the first few seasons of Arrow, which made him even more tired, SA: "I built up a little resentment through that process. In a lot of ways, it was of my own making, insofar as, in those first couple of seasons, when you're just running on adrenaline, and you can work until two o'clock in the morning, but then get up at seven a.m. and go to the gym, and you can change your diet... This was 2012, when you had to go to the deep recesses of the health food store to find gluten-free stuff. Now it's everywhere. But I never relied on the production to build the infrastructure that would allow me to maintain that. I simply did it myself for the first couple of years. And then, when that newness wears off and that adrenaline wears off, and you look around and you feel like you don't have the support system, that created a little bit of a tough crossroads for the production."

-- On how Arrow ended for him, SA: "I had a six-year deal and then added a seventh year. And during Season 6, right around - right around January, which isn't the halfway point of our season, but we would start in July, and by January we'd be at episode 14 or 15 out of 23 - 22 or 23. And I called up Greg Berlanti and I said, 'I think that's it' - Greg, being the big boss of our show. I said, 'I think that's it,' at the end of 7. And he said, 'Please, no, this is the worst phone call ever. Take some time and think about it.' And I took some time and thought about it... And I called him back up - because he said, 'Once I make these calls to Peter Roth at WB and Mark Pedowitz at The CW, it's going to set things in motion that can't necessarily be undone.' Not that it was going to be contentious. It was actually quite lovely. But I thought about it. And he said, 'Just one caveat.' He said, 'Think about an eighth year.' I said, 'No.' He said, 'Think about a truncated eighth year, where you come and do 10 episodes.' And, you know, from a bargaining standpoint and from a restructuring of your deal standpoint, it was like, am I going to work until April of 2019 for X, or am I going to work until November of 2019 for X? And it was smart... Option B... Second door, please... It was good... The last season was - because we got to end it on our terms - was this real long good-bye. And it was only 10 episodes. So we really had a chance to think through it, whereas in previous seasons we have our North Star of where we want to get to at the end, but there's always a little filler that has to go into a 22 - a 23 or 22 episode season. But it was really emotionally, emotionally challenging. I was drained. I had been on the hamster wheel for a long time. I wasn't as healthy, mentally and emotionally and physically, as I could have been. Just, again, it's those first couple of seasons, getting back to the beginning of this, where you have that adrenaline and you can just go and go and go and go and go... That candle started to burn down... and I could never bring it back up. ... We ended up with 170 episodes of the show."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Katherine McNamara's new series, Walker: Independence, will premiere on The CW this fall on Thursday nights at 9pm...

CW Fall Schedule Has Winchesters, Stargirl, All-Walker Thursdays; Flash, Superman & Lois Held for Midseason
By Ryan Schwartz / May 19 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/05/19/the-cw-fall-schedule-2022/  

Also, The CW has released a few photos from this new series, including the following one of KM as Abby Walker...

WID101b_0105r.jpg

(source)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

CW Boss On Future Of Net’s DC Universe Amid Ownership Changes: “We Are Staying In the Superhero Business”
By Nellie Andreeva    May 19, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/05/the-cw-dc-universe-future-superhero-business-the-flash-final-season-1235028121/ 

Noting that there are only three returning DC shows, he acknowledged that the CW’s DC Universe “is not as robust as we were in years past.”

Still, “we started with one, which was Arrow 10 years ago, and we have now moved on to create a whole bunch of superheros  and we are proud of it,” Pedowitz said. “We plan to stay in this business no matter what the outcomes is in the event of a sale or no sale. I think the Warner side realizes the value of having these properties up, DC Comics realizes the value of what it does for their marketability in terms of what these franchise are. Legends created a whole new life for characters they may not have even existed or used; they had not seen the light of day. We have brought enormous value to DC and Warner Bros. in terms of realization of the universe Greg Berlanti and his team have created.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Katie Cassidy Talks 'Complicated Situation' of Having 3 Dads, Including Late David Cassidy
By Scott Huver and Glenn Garner   May 21, 2022
https://people.com/tv/katie-cassidy-talks-complicated-situation-having-three-dads-including-late-david-cassidy/ 

The Arrow alum, 35, opened up to PEOPLE about her "complicated situation" of having three father figures in her life as she attended Friday's 29th Annual Race to Erase MS Gala in Los Angeles.

"I'm directing a film that I actually got Nov. 2019 called Daddy Issues. It's a raunchy comedy about three women in their early 30s trying to learn to grow the f— up but can't due to their dysfunctional relationships with their fathers," Katie said. "I have three fathers so this script, it's so close to home to me ... I was like, there is no one better to direct this film than me."

She noted that she didn't meet her biological father David until she was in the fourth grade, and until then, her inner creativity just felt natural. "And the Cassidy side of my family, it's in my blood, that's in the gene pool. I was born this way," she said.

"The gene pool is so strong. I'm close with my uncles and I talk with them often. And some of the things that my grandfather, who I never met, some of his mannerisms and behavior patterns are similar to what I've done," Katie explained. "My uncle Ryan and my uncle Shaun have shared that with me. And it blows my mind. And even my uncle Shaun, I've been writing more now and producing and directing. And he's sees a lot of my dad in me but he also, I think, sees a lot of himself in me in a way. It makes me feel like, 'OK, I'm not an oddball.' "
Katie's mother, model Sherry Williams, married "wonderful, lovely" ER doctor Richard Benedon when the actress was still young, and the couple raised her together.

"Thank goodness for him because it taught me left and right brain, which is what you need as a director," she shared. "Because as an ER doctor, it's all paperwork, it's all this other side rather than the creative side. And as a director that's what you're doing. You have to have this creative side but then you also have this type A side that's very organized and very on top of s—, which my father Richard was growing up."

"And then my [half] sisters' father is someone I look at as my own because he treated me like his own. So I know it's complicated," Katie added.
"I think it's just a matter of stepping into this space, like this is who I am and this is the family I come from. And I'm proud of it," Katie said. "And I have three dads and I have a complicated situation, but you know what? I'm grateful I'm still here and that we're all still here."

Edited by tv echo