Type keyword(s) to search

S19. E19: Nikki Glaser; Paul Begala; Jane Coaston

• Start Topic

Yes, it was pointless, but I found the final New Rule about the water shortage interesting and informative. I'd heard about this before but it doesn't get a lot of press. I dare say the world could live without almonds . . . those in the almond industry not withstanding. I live here in the heartland and it's been 100 degrees for four days straight, and it's not even technically summer yet. Let's hear more about climate policy and less about cancel culture, please. 

• Love 15
(edited)
20 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Let's hear more about climate policy and less about cancel culture, please. 

Totally agree. Bill has beaten the cancel culture/woke-ness horse to death so hard it wouldn't even make good dog food. I had always heard that almond milk was bad for the environment, but never read why. I'd love more enlightenment like that from this show. Otherwise, last night's episode was decidedly nondescript.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yes, it was pointless, but I found the final New Rule about the water shortage interesting and informative. I'd heard about this before but it doesn't get a lot of press. I dare say the world could live without almonds . . . those in the almond industry not withstanding. I live here in the heartland and it's been 100 degrees for four days straight, and it's not even technically summer yet. Let's hear more about climate policy and less about cancel culture, please. 

Wow...Bill is really getting lazy. He did that bit on the water shortage and almond growers a couple of years ago...sounds like it was almost word for word! Talk about phoning it in!

Edited by BrownBear2012
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BrownBear2012 said:

Wow...Bill is really getting lazy. He did that bit on the water shortage and almond growers a couple of years ago...sounds like it was almost word for word! Talk about phoning it in!

Considering the current drought and other climate issues, I'm okay with it.  I found the reference to coal mining persuasive. Not every industry will survive. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I had given up on Bill ever bringing up anything but his own personal issues and pet peeves, so it was a welcome surprise that he brought up almonds.  Things were bad enough, but then almond milk became a thing, and created even more of a market for them.  

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, izabella said:

I had given up on Bill ever bringing up anything but his own personal issues and pet peeves, so it was a welcome surprise that he brought up almonds.  Things were bad enough, but then almond milk became a thing, and created even more of a market for them.  

Oh I think almonds are becoming his new pet peeve…

12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

100% That was my favorite part of the whole show. I feel guilty eating almonds now. 

• Love 3

I didn’t see Bill’s rant on this and his claim that explanations and misgivings about casting by Miranda are why “people hate Democrats” but that’s the dumbest thing he’s said so far this season. 

This really hurts Lin-Manuel Miranda’s chances in the next election.  He’s definitely lost the coveted voting block whose primary concern is obscure casting controversies in Hollywood musicals.  Wait, what’s that you say?  Miranda isn’t running for anything?  Well, that’s strange, then how does Bill’s rant make any sense whatsoev… oh.

Bill has become a doddering one-note repetitive idiot, and if the most exciting thing that can be said about his latest episode is that he talks about almond milk then he’s just too far gone and he’s never coming back.

What are his ratings like these days?  With what he’s been lazily throwing out there lately, and how many people who even used to be hardcore fans who say they’ve given up on him, it’s hard for me to imagine they’re very good.

• LOL 4
  • Love 10

What are his ratings like these days?  With what he’s been lazily throwing out there lately, and how many people who even used to be hardcore fans who say they’ve given up on him, it’s hard for me to imagine they’re very good.

They're pretty low. But they're comparable to what John Oliver is getting, so who knows. HBO is probably satisfied with those numbers.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

I didn’t see Bill’s rant on this and his claim that and misgivings about casting by Miranda are why “people hate Democrats” but that’s the dumbest thing he’s said so far this season. 

This is where it helps to actually watch before commenting.

I was half asleep but iirc, it was more the existence of Miranda's apology that inspired Bill's rant. His issues with woke Twitter aren't new.  He might even have a point that when LMM, the creator of Hamilton, gets raked over the coals by them, then it reinforces how many people feel like nothing they do is ever going to be good enough. 

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, tessaray said:

This is where it helps to actually watch before commenting.

I was half asleep but iirc, it was more the existence of Miranda's apology that inspired Bill's rant. His issues with woke Twitter aren't new.  He might even have a point that when LMM, the creator of Hamilton, gets raked over the coals by them, then it reinforces how many people feel like nothing they do is ever going to be good enough. 

I read verbatim what he said...no need to sit through an hour of this tired format and old man shaking his fist to the sky rants. I was responding to his remark about "this is why people hate Democrats". I still don't understand why it is so bad for Miranda to issue an apology...there was a casting issue...and the director has had issues in previous films he's directed. Miranda, as the creator of the play/movie clearly felt the need to repsond to valid complaints from the public. So Bill has an issue with the Twitter world on this but not the Twitter world spew of conspiracy theories and gas lighting of the insurrection? Seems to me that is a bigger problem than people calling out a movie casting issue.

Edited by BrownBear2012
  • Love 9
On 6/19/2021 at 3:15 PM, BrownBear2012 said:

Considering that nothing has changed wrt to the almond/water issue, I don't have a problem with Bill bringing more attention to it. I will say though that I think it would have been nice if he'd pointed out that people could try alternatives to almond products they like, maybe substituting oat milk for almond milk, that sort of thing. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

Considering that nothing has changed wrt to the almond/water issue, I don't have a problem with Bill bringing more attention to it. I will say though that I think it would have been nice if he'd pointed out that people could try alternatives to almond products they like, maybe substituting oat milk for almond milk, that sort of thing. 

You know what a bigger water issue is? Golf courses…the constant watering of golf courses, of which there thousands, especially in desert communities like Palm Springs, Las Vegas, any and all golf courses in Arizona…Even in other non desert areas the watering of golf courses takes a lot of water for a hobby or recreation. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, tessaray said:

I was half asleep but iirc, it was more the existence of Miranda's apology that inspired Bill's rant. His issues with woke Twitter aren't new.  He might even have a point that when LMM, the creator of Hamilton, gets raked over the coals by them, then it reinforces how many people feel like nothing they do is ever going to be good enough

Here's an example with the messenger (Bill) muddying the message because he talks about it too much. The casting issue was all over the place, and I don't listen to typical 'left' news. While LMM is his own person, and should apologize if he feels like it, the salient question Bill brought up, though not explain well imo, do you need to always apologize to address an issue?

I also abhor the argument 'you could have done more' which is inherent in the bolded text up there. Because of LMM just defaults to apology, it gives more credibility to not being able to do good enough. I do think Bill was right in that LMM probably just apologized to get it out of the way. Sometimes it's ok to tell people to stfu for 5 minutes too (I literally just typed that as Bill said it). You don't like the casting of the movie? Do you know how hard it is to make a movie? Make your own. It's not that easy.

Yes, you should be asking 'how can I do better?' That's laudable. However, to tie in with Bill's recent monologue, you can say, 'hey, we've done some good stuff here. What's next'? Maybe this movie opens the door for more movies that have majority-minority casts. Maybe it lets LMM produce more of these movies. That's good. 

I love everything about Glazer. She's been a top comedian since she broke out. She is right in that it's ok to apologize. I don't have a problem doing it either, but she's also right that you don't have to always do it just to do it. (Seriously the joke about Griffin was brilliant.) 

I loved Glazer's take on the college crowds for comedians - 'it's a bad crowd.' And her shot at Seinfeld saying he's not going to do colleges. Why would he? 

Coaston was a great guest. Bill talked about a full audience after the break. I hope in terms of changes they keep the 2 person guest, but add a mid show guest again. 

9 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

You know what a bigger water issue is? Golf courses…the constant watering of golf courses, of which there thousands, especially in desert communities like Palm Springs, Las Vegas, any and all golf courses in Arizona…Even in other non desert areas the watering of golf courses takes a lot of water for a hobby or recreation. 

I don't know the water use for almonds v golf courses, but they both have to be way up there. It's not that hard to not buy almonds/milk. I stopped. You can make a good argument as to who benefits from the golf courses v who really needs water though in that the golf course might be the more salient issue. 

• Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

Considering that nothing has changed wrt to the almond/water issue, I don't have a problem with Bill bringing more attention to it.

As he opened the monologue, the wildfires are nearly constant now too. And he was trying to point out that the farmers are being subsidized and don't really need it. This is something he should continually be hammering much more over twitter, and I generally agree with him on that too. 

Bill is a show biz guy and always will be. He does 100+ days on the road. I like comics like that because they have to develop new material nearly on the fly. I still like the show, but it has dragged. I'm wondering if getting back on the circuit might energize him and subsequently freshen up the show. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I love everything about Glazer. She's been a top comedian since she broke out. She is right in that it's ok to apologize. I don't have a problem doing it either, but she's also right that you don't have to always do it just to do it. (Seriously the joke about Griffin was brilliant.) 

I don't know anything about her but I liked her here. I know comedians have to constantly go over the line when they develop material; that she is comfortable apologizing to someone who is triggered in the process is refreshing. It lets her be fearless and a decent human being. 

• Love 4

She's a long time friend of Bill's and has been on several times. He had her on when he was broadcasting from his house and she had moved in with her parents. Standup as a craft, is fascinating to me, and you can see here Bill and her easily can get into the weeds. She's a "comics' comic", and it's no surprise Bill invited her to the NYE show.  That's why I liked her take on the college circuit - it's a bad gig, not because of the 'woke factor' but because the crowd just isn't savvy enough for her comedy. 

I'm kind of surprised she's doing this reality show, unless she's also head writer. It doesn't seem like her fit. 

2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm kind of surprised she's doing this reality show, unless she's also head writer. It doesn't seem like her fit. 

It doesn't seem to me she'll be the typical reality host.  On roasts Nikki can be particularly savage.  I would imagine she would sharpen the knives for this show.

6 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Here's an example with the messenger (Bill) muddying the message because he talks about it too much. The casting issue was all over the place, and I don't listen to typical 'left' news. While LMM is his own person, and should apologize if he feels like it, the salient question Bill brought up, though not explain well imo, do you need to always apologize to address an issue?

I also abhor the argument 'you could have done more' which is inherent in the bolded text up there. Because of LMM just defaults to apology, it gives more credibility to not being able to do good enough. I do think Bill was right in that LMM probably just apologized to get it out of the way. Sometimes it's ok to tell people to stfu for 5 minutes too (I literally just typed that as Bill said it). You don't like the casting of the movie? Do you know how hard it is to make a movie? Make your own. It's not that easy.

Yes, you should be asking 'how can I do better?' That's laudable. However, to tie in with Bill's recent monologue, you can say, 'hey, we've done some good stuff here. What's next'? Maybe this movie opens the door for more movies that have majority-minority casts. Maybe it lets LMM produce more of these movies. That's good. 

I loved Glazer's take on the college crowds for comedians - 'it's a bad crowd.' And her shot at Seinfeld saying he's not going to do colleges. Why would he? 

Coaston was a great guest. Bill talked about a full audience after the break. I hope in terms of changes they keep the 2 person guest, but add a mid show guest again. 

I don't know the water use for almonds v golf courses, but they both have to be way up there. It's not that hard to not buy almonds/milk. I stopped. You can make a good argument as to who benefits from the golf courses v who really needs water though in that the golf course might be the more salient issue. 

My point was that almonds aren’t the only water sappers. Personally I prefer cashew milk…unsweetened vanilla cashew milk. Creamy and delicious.

I guess with water levels rising in Florida (salting the ground so much that fruit will not grow) and the lack of water in California we are going to be eating less fruit and nuts grown in the US and Mexico.

He keeps harping about climate change and most people don't care until WW3 starts over the lack of water in Asia.

I agree with Nikki about college crowds (now), but the problem I have with the pretentiousness of some older comics is that they expect to do their same shtick no matter where they are. They don't want to put in a little extra work to tailor their set for a different audience. You can't do that anymore, because college crowds are not the same as they were 20 or 30 years ago.

• Love 1

I also think Bill might feel it’s a slippery slope for people in the media. He was once fired for saying something that I actually agreed with.  That’s what he does—he says what he believes, knowing it will piss off some.  So his concern with this cancel culture is understandable. IMO, it’s a dangerous precedent.  Anyway, while Bill is a strong Democrat, he doesn’t kowtow to any political party or any liberal/conservative ideals.  He says what he thinks. And I think he hits the nail in the head very often, agree with him or not.

As for playing to college kids….I know to keep current one would have to do that, but are college kids ever going to watch anyone approaching 70? Meh

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Tara said:

I also think Bill might feel it’s a slippery slope for people in the media. He was once fired for saying something that I actually agreed with.  That’s what he does—he says what he believes, knowing it will piss off some.  So his concern with this cancel culture is understandable. IMO, it’s a dangerous precedent.  Anyway, while Bill is a strong Democrat, he doesn’t kowtow to any political party or any liberal/conservative ideals.  He says what he thinks. And I think he hits the nail in the head very often, agree with him or not.

As for playing to college kids….I know to keep current one would have to do that, but are college kids ever going to watch anyone approaching 70? Meh

I don't disagree with everything Bill says regarding cancel culture. I just think he takes it too far. There are so many other important issues he could talk about. There are people who do deserve to deal with consequences as well. It's not just liberals who want to cancel people either. Right-wingers can be hypersensitive if they don't find a music artist or athlete patriotic enough by their standards. Many of them have wanted Bill off the air for decades. Bill acts like everyone on the left is done with you after one mistake. Are those people out there? Of course! But that is definitely not a lot of reasonable, forgiving people. He has managed to keep his career going after saying some pretty messed up things over the years. That is thanks to what must be a mostly leftwing audience. 

I'm not sure tbh. While it's also hard for me to picture a bunch of college kids excited about someone his age, without naming any names, the younger generation definitely doesn't discriminate against older politicians . . .

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Tara said:

Speaking one's mind does not mean that one is correct. And Bill's been wrong far more than he's been right these past few years. When you parrot right wingers' talking points about calling the coronavirus the China virus and whine about cancel culture running out of control, EVERY! SINGLE! TIME! then don't be surprised when people turn away from you because they find you eyerollingly tiring and obnoxious.

There's nothing to admire about a borderline racist, sexist humorless troglodyte like Bill!

• Love 4
On 6/27/2021 at 5:21 PM, Victor the Crab said:

There's nothing to admire about a borderline racist, sexist humorless troglodyte like Bill!

I may not always agree with what you say, but I sure love the way you say it!

• Love 3