Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I had saved an Uno's frozen pizza as a reward for cleaning out my freezer so I had half of that last night and will have the other half tonight.  I also made a big veggie stir fry over the weekend that used up a good chunk of the frozen veggies I still had in there.

I have had roasted broccoli the last 2 nights for dinner. I have a huge bag of frozen broccoli and have been roasting it. I top the broccoli with dried cranberries, parmesan and a vinaigrette. So delicious. I love that I can roast it in the toaster oven, and use frozen broccoli. 

Wednesday's are soccer night for us so we have to eat dinner early (4:45) to make it to practice on time. It's past my middle kids bedtime by the time we get home so that's too late for dinner. Anyhow, tonight I made a breakfast casserole with shredded hash browns, sausage, eggs, cheddar and cottage cheeses. 

Thursday is swim lesson day so I try to do something in the crockpot so it's ready when we get home at 6. So, tomorrow we will have beef stroganoff with mixed veggies on the side. 

• Love 1

Lemongrass pork chops with tomato rice and a bowl of chopped veggies on the side.

I always have to get dinner done by 5pm because the 4yo eats really early. 

Unless it's a one pot wonder or pasta bake I usually cook his portion to order. 

• Love 1
On 4/23/2017 at 2:00 AM, Mellowyellow said:

Sticky rice with Chinese sausage, char siu and a soft boiled egg with lots of soy sauce 

I clean out my fridge but I'm super picky so I cook the stuff up and feed it to the kidlet who eats just about anything. 

The Chinese portion of your dinner sounds interesting although I'm not familiar with Chinese sausage or Char sou, care to share?

57 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Lemongrass pork chops with tomato rice and a bowl of chopped veggies on the side.

I always have to get dinner done by 5pm because the 4yo eats really early. 

Unless it's a one pot wonder or pasta bake I usually cook his portion to order. 

Yea typically we eat dinner at five on the dot. It just works better with our schedules that way plus the one year old is an early to bed type. I've even tried to have dinner ready later than five just to change up the schedule a bit but I am just so programmed to have dinner on the table at five that I can't physically do it any later!

12 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

The Chinese portion of your dinner sounds interesting although I'm not familiar with Chinese sausage or Char sou, care to share?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNHhMixeHMT8y8IjqeDb2

This is what the dish looks like. There are strips of fried egg omelette as well. I usually use a soft boiled egg instead and sometimes I add sauteed king oyster mushrooms too. The red ovals are the Chinese sausage. It's a very seasoned dried sausage that you fry before you eat. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCNAEVmLSEW9ART-ZqOtk

This is char siu. Asian style roast pork. The shops use red food colouring. When it's homemade it's not red. 

Edited by Mellowyellow

Good old Aussie meat pie. There is this place on the coast where we holiday that sells the best pies. We buy a bunch to freeze for nights when I don't want to cook. 

I am having a steak and pepper pie. Hubby a steak and mushroom pie. Kidlet had fried rice that I freeze for lazy days. 

• Love 2

Jambalaya (from a Zatarain's box, not from scratch this time).  I added some sliced smoked sausage.  It was pretty good.  I had strawberries (with a little sugar mashed in) over slices of Sara Lee pound cake with a dollop of Cool Whip on top.  Not gourmet, but tasty.  (And leftovers for tomorrow.)

• Love 2

Cheap $5 Little Caesar's pizza. We've been at a local festival at the college and were starving, but I didn't feel like paying for over-priced, greasy fair food or cooking.

We are having pizza tomorrow night. Usually we have Pizza every other Friday night but I had so much left over stroganoff from Thursday that it didn't make sense to pay for Pizza and let the left overs go to waste.

I got to enjoy an evening sans kids tonight and had dinner at my parents house before aenjoying a night out with them and my grandparents who are in town. Guess what mom made? Stroganoff! I'm ready for Pizza!

• Love 4

Lamb and veggie casserole

I love pizza but I rarely get to eat it. Our takeaway pizza is terrible so I'd have to go to a nice woodfire place to eat it. The boys plus all my friends hate pizza so I'd have to make a date of it and go by myself! 

I am not crazy about pizza either.  I like the thin crust gourmet variety with creative toppings but not the usual.  I always order any kind that does not have tomato sauce.  California Pizza's pear and Gorgonzola is delicious.   I   don't like tomato sauce on anything.  

21 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Oh my god. How bad is the pizza there @Mellowyellow that people actually hate pizza?  The idea that multiple people hate pizza doesn't compute for me. 

Hmm maybe I exaggerated. The boys flatly hate pizza. My friends are more "Meh" about it. 

Ok so the pizza that you ring up to get delivered is just not edible to most people that I know. No one I know eats it. 

So to have pizza you'd have to go out to a decent restaurant and make a night out of it or a lunch date. But if you're going out for dinner/lunch with friends why would you go out for pizza.  Hence no one to eat pizza with me! 

So to have pizza you'd have to go out to a decent restaurant and make a night out of it or a lunch date.

So make your own. It's the easiest thing in the world.

• Love 3

For Sunday dinner I fixed hamburger patties with onions and brown gravy (over rice).  A real, old-fashioned southern Sunday meal that I haven't cooked in years and years.  For dinner I had the last of the strawberry shortcake as an appetizer and the rest of the hamburger/gravy/rice.  A good meal for a rainy Sunday evening.  

• Love 4

Busy day today so wonton noodle soup with bok choi for us tonight.

Thank goodness for wontons that I mass produce and chicken stock that I also mass produce. Only need to boil and add the veg and noodles. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Bun Thit Nuong - Vermicelli Salad bowls

Marinated pieces of pork shoulder grilled and served with vermicelli, nuoc cham, herbs, cucumbers.

One of my favorite summer meals! I need to put that back in rotation.

• Love 1
On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 5:20 AM, Quof said:

So make your own. It's the easiest thing in the world.

I occasionally do a quick & dirty "starving student" pizza: Bread, ketchup, a jack cheese slice, and a couple of salami slices. Microwave it until the cheese melts.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

I occasionally do a quick & dirty "starving student" pizza: Bread, ketchup, a jack cheese slice, and a couple of salami slices. Microwave it until the cheese melts.

I've done similar but used jarred pasta sauce & day old (or two)  crusty bread & my oven.  I think it works in a bind quite well.  I think it tastes just as good as Souffers French Bread pizza at a fraction of the cost.

Edited by ariel
(edited)

I have about 30 minutes to make dinner for my kids tonight before I have to run back out for an appointment. I think they're getting half-ass chicken parm sandwiches with some vegetables and fresh fruit. Half-ass meaning that I'm going to take breaded chicken cutlets out of the freezer, one real chicken, one soy, cook them in the toaster oven, adding tomato sauce and cheese about half way through and serve them on a roll.  My version of fast food.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 3

The weather is nice & we're going to grill some burgers.  Bushes baked beans will be the side.  Sadly Duke, the cute BBB  golden retriever has other plans & won't be stopping by for dinner.

'

• Love 4

I think I have just enough leftover corned beef to make a sandwich of with the biscuits I "made" to go with split pea soup.  Sadly, around here, it's still hot soup weather.

• Love 1

Mmm... corned beef. I'm in full blown spring mode when I have the chance to cook right now, but at some point I'm going to defrost the second one I bought when they were on sale for St. Patrick's Day and after eating it, ask myself why I don't make it more often. (As is my pattern.)

defrost the second one 

I knew, given my schedule, that it was a now or never situation so I put both of the ones I had in the slow cooker together.  One got made into corned beef hash and the other is in the split pea soup.  I like it better in there than ham.

• Love 1

I have hurt my back. I can't bend, or reach, to retrieve pots, food from the freezer, etc., nor do I have the fortitude to cook anything anyway.  Luckily, the cereal, milk, spoons and bowls are all at waist height.   Fortunately, my cereal collection rivals Seinfeld's. Hopefully I will recover before I run out.

• Love 4

It's unexpectantly hot and has been a long day. I think the little guy will get his favorite hot dogs & ketchup, I'll have cold cereal, and the other adult in the house can fend for himself.

• Love 1
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Bastet said:

This simple recipe for pan-seared scallops with asparagus and pancetta, served over a mixed-greens salad.

That looks good.  I have some sea scallops in the freezer that I should use soon to make more room.  Sometimes it sucks being a foodie.  I buy stuff when it goes on sale.  When my freezer gets full, we use up what's in there just to be able to stock it up on things again sale time.  I can kind of justify it in the winter because I live in the northeast. The spring/summer I can't.

I am looking for ramps.  Does anyone have a good recipe for them?

Edited by ariel
(edited)

Anyone here keep an extra freezer? I have available extra freezer because the boys eat so much and I too like to take advantage of discounts on meat etc. 

We have like 10 packs of the good Italian dried pasta right now because it was half price last week!

ETA: Dinner tonight is defrosted Bo Kho with pasta for the kidlet and truffle chips and chocolate milk for me! Rare treat the hubby is at a conference so I don't have to make a proper dinner!!!!!!

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Anyone here keep an extra freezer?

I do. It's loaded with meat, bags of frozen vegetables, and the extra soups and tomato sauces I make for second meals. 

10 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Anyone here keep an extra freezer?

I live in an apartment but we keep a chest freezer in our guest room it's full of stocks, tomato sauce, leftovers, fruit and vegetables, etc. There is just two of us but it's super handy.

2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I live in an apartment but we keep a chest freezer in our guest room it's full of stocks, tomato sauce, leftovers, fruit and vegetables, etc. There is just two of us but it's super handy.

I can use an extra freezer & a chest one would be great.  I just have to get Mr A on board for the purchase.

Salsa chicken:  4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts + 1 large jar of salsa + 6 or so hours on low in the crock pot.  Shred chicken, mix everything up, and nom over rice or rolled up in tortillas, with condiments/toppings (cheese, sour cream, etc) of your choice.  The most yum per unit of cooking effort EVER.

• Love 2
(edited)

Tomorrow is Derby Day.  I'd love to say we will be sipping mint julips on our veranda, but sadly we don't have a veranda. We will however have mint julips.  What food goes well with them? I was thinking some kind of appetizer/finger food.  Please no Sandra Lee/Pioneer Women recipes.  ;)

Edited by ariel
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, ariel said:

Tomorrow is Derby Day.  I'd love to say we will be sipping mint julips on our veranda, but sadly we don't have a veranda. We will however have mint julips.  What food goes well with them? I was thinking some kind of appetizer/finger food.  Please no Sandra Lee/Pioneer Women recipes.  ;)

Pimento cheese on crackers or as mini sandwiches?

• Love 1
(edited)
57 minutes ago, ariel said:

Cucumber sandwiches. 

From Southern Living -- Kentucky Derby Menu:

Roasted Brown-Butter Pecans

Spring-on-a-Plate Salads

Assorted Vegetables with Whipped Lemon Aïoli

Biscuits and Ham with Fig Chutney & Blue Cheese Butter

Watercress Canapés

Derby Truffles

Mint Julep Bar

Edited by ennui
  • Love 1