Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

A splurge - tried jumbo lump crab cakes from our local seafood purveyor - pricey at $14.99 a piece, but boy howdy were they good, They lived up to their name - all jumbo lump, plus knowing it's local fresh Maryland crab makes it worth it. I might be doing it for a monthly treat.

To piggy back off of that I did the same thing. I'm about 9 hours away from Maryland but our grocery store usually has freshly packed Maryland Crab Cakes and I'll treat myself once a month because they are $$$.

My husband had to work late and can't eat seafood so I had the crab cake, garlic Parmesan shrimp and Brussel sprouts cooked with bacon, shallots and red wine vinegar. The children got frozen pizza and some of the sprouts. 

• Love 2

Tonight I made Chicken Mozzarella Pasta--it's a Pioneer Woman recipe that a friend sent me.  I liked everything but the chicken (they were in bite size pieces). Not sure what I'll sub for the chicken next time but everything else (especially the fresh mozz which got nice and gooey) was good.

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Tonight I made Chicken Mozzarella Pasta--it's a Pioneer Woman recipe that a friend sent me.  I liked everything but the chicken (they were in bite size pieces). Not sure what I'll sub for the chicken next time but everything else (especially the fresh mozz which got nice and gooey) was good.

Try artichoke hearts or sausage or both together. Yum! 

• Love 2

Last night was steak fried rice, no scrambled eggs this time because my nephew is allergic.  Then we watched Guardians of the Galaxy and ate Trader Joe's cheesecake (just the plain one in blue box).  None of us are cheesecake aficionados so it was just fine and dandy for us.

• Love 2

I've got some pork butt in the slow cooker with a random variety of stuff - some soy sauce, vinegar, hoisin, miso, touch of mirin, some ginger and dijon mustard.  And white pepper.

I'll make rice later and probably asparagus.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, MargeGunderson said:

I'm supposed to make Swedish meatballs, egg noodles and roasted Brussels sprouts but I don't feel like cooking. Maybe typing this out will spur me to get into the kitchen.

Forget the meat ball part.  Take the seasoned meat and scramble it in a skillet, add the sauce you would use and bingo done.  Serve it over noodles.  On the large side of a box grater do the Brussels sprouts and sautee in skillet with butter.  It is my favorite way to eat them!  I will never roast them again.  Fast and easy.  All this can be done in the time it takes to boil the noodles.  

• Love 2

Made a big pot of tomato sauce. Cooked the meatballs in the oven and then sauced them in one pot, heated up some vegan meatballs for the vegetarian in a separate pot, served them club rolls. 

• Love 1

I oven-BBQd a pan of chicken thighs yesterday, so tonight's dinner is leftover chicken.  And a green salad.  I'm also making a very quick vegetable beef soup so I can freeze some for lunches (I had thawed out the beef yesterday in the fridge and realized today that I needed to 'use it or lose it').  I just take some ground beef (it calls for one pound, but I only put about half a pound in).  Brown it and drain it if it's not really lean.  Add a small can of tomato sauce, a can of tomatoes (whole ones mushed up, diced, crushed, whatever you have and/or prefer), one envelope of onion soup mix, 3 cups of water and a small bag of frozen mixed veggies (since I cut the amount of beef in half, I doubled the size of the veggie portion and put a family-sized bag into the pot).  Just cook for a few minutes and it's done.  It's pretty low calorie, even with the ground beef, since it makes a big potful.  And it freezes well.  If I get hungry later tonight, I might have a little bowlful before I put it in the fridge for the night. 

• Love 1
On 3/12/2017 at 5:14 PM, MargeGunderson said:

I'm supposed to make Swedish meatballs, egg noodles and roasted Brussels sprouts but I don't feel like cooking. Maybe typing this out will spur me to get into the kitchen.

Make those Swedish meatballs when you're feeling a bit more energetic.  I made "Norwegian" meatballs a la my mom (no gravy & with some spice!! her mom grew up in Arvika on the Swedish border with Norway).  You can either serve them w/o gravy, or, make a simple gravy using McCormack"s less sodium brown gravy + add some Allspice + a little sour cream.  Easy and quite tasty.

On 3/12/2017 at 5:21 PM, wings707 said:

Forget the meat ball part.  Take the seasoned meat and scramble it in a skillet, add the sauce you would use and bingo done.  Serve it over noodles.  On the large side of a box grater do the Brussels sprouts and sautee in skillet with butter.  It is my favorite way to eat them!  I will never roast them again.  Fast and easy.  All this can be done in the time it takes to boil the noodles.  

I love tricks like this. I used to make a Rachel Ray recipe for chicken paprikash made with ground chicken instead of chicken thighs. Quicker for weeknights, and very tasty. It was served over potato gnocchi instead of egg noodles. I'm going to have to find that recipe.

Tonight it's green beans with a ham slice cooked low and slow and corn muffins.

• Love 2

Nachos for the family. Toothless here had more soup. Tomorrow I can step it up a little, but still no pointy foods like corn chips. I would have gone with more pasta or mashed potatoes but two days of that will make me feel like I broke a pact that I made with myself to stay the hell out of carb binging for the rest of my life. 

• Love 2

So happy to be having round 2 of the vegetarian chili I made yesterday. We were on the southeast edge of the storm and got a dusting - not even enough to measure let alone shovel. February and March seem to have traded places here this year. Off to St. Petersburg, FL next week for warm weather - yeah!

• Love 2

I was so damn hungry that I just heated up a little bit of leftover mac and cheese @forumfish

And I forgot it was pi day until I saw it on Facebook today. Didn't have the stuff on hand to make an apple pie, or I would have for sure.  

Edited by JTMacc99

I pulled weeds in the front yard until it got too dark to see, so I'm glad that all I have to do for dinner is to heat up the beef vegetable soup I made last night.  I need to keep the calories low tonight, because I had Girl Scout Thin Mints for lunch.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I pulled weeds in the front yard until it got too dark to see, so I'm glad that all I have to do for dinner is to heat up the beef vegetable soup I made last night.  I need to keep the calories low tonight, because I had Girl Scout Thin Mints for lunch.

My weeds are all under a foot of snow :/  Yesterday I had grand plans to make some chicken vegetable soup, but I was pooped after shoveling.  I did roast the chicken breasts (including one I had for dinner last night with a leftover sweet potato and some asparagus), so I'm planning on fixing the soup tonight.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lovecat said:

My weeds are all under a foot of snow :/ 

Two feet here.  All of those crocuses I planted last year were just making their way out when this happened. If a flower could say WTF?!, I imagine that's what they are doing right now.

I'm thinking perogies and a bag of some sort of vegetable blend for dinner tonight.  

• Love 2

My weeds are all under a foot of snow :/

No snow here, but another reason I came in yesterday besides the fact that it was getting dark was that it was getting colder and my hands and feet were beginning to get really cold.  We're supposed to get temps here tonight in the upper 30s, which is a record for this part of the country in March.  I'm happy,though.  I want to put off having to turn on the central A/C for as long as possible.

I hadn't really thought about dinner yet, but probably it will be a pork chop and some type of green veggie (maybe roasted okra and carrots).

• Love 1

Lazy Girl Vegetable Stir Fry

This one takes a bit of prep work. Go to the store early in the week and buy a lot of crunchy vegetables you intend to eat. Forget about them for about a week.

Rinse and chop said vegetables (zucchini, carrots, onion, asparagus, mushrooms). Look twice at the mushrooms and decide they are probably OK. Thinly slice a couple cloves of garlic and some fresh ginger.

Make a sauce by pouring whatever looks right of ponzu sauce into a bowl. Add some soy sauce, a dash of peanut oil and a little brown sugar (to taste). Thicken with an appropriate amount of corn starch.

Dump the last of your peanut oil into a hot frying pan. Heat oil, add garlic and ginger. When the garlic is brown add the zucchini and carrots. Cook for 2 minutes. Add onion and curse yourself for not cutting it thick enough. Cook for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and asparagus. Mix well, add in sauce. Wash dishes for 2 minutes. Turn off eat, plate the vegetables. Finish dishes. Eat.

*and this is why I can never write a cooking blog.

• Love 8

@theredhead77:  Your first sentence is soooo me!  Frequently there will be stuff in the crisper that I bought (with great intentions) a week or so before.  I think you should write a cooking blog if you can salvage forgotten produce and turn them into a yummy stir fry, like you just did.  Go for it!!

• Love 2

I'm making my 'mock stir fry' again tonight.  I mowed the front and side yards when I got home from work (the back yard is all weedy and doesn't need mowing yet), so I'm really hungry but don't have the energy to really cook.  Brown rice, chicken filets, onion and stir fry sauce.  I'll be low on my calories today, but one day of staying under my minimum definitely won't hurt me (two eggs for breakfast and popcorn for lunch.  I know, that's not healthy).   I'm making my grandmother's 'okra soup' tomorrow for weekend eating (canned tomatoes, can of Rotel for some kick, onion, bag of frozen sliced okra, diced up potatoes, and some speckled butter beans when I can find them).  

• Love 1

We had corned beef as well. I bought mine last week and told my husband to look forward to it and his comment was, "it must be stomach virus time". Sure enough, me and two of the kids got the stomach bug Wednesday and my husband has been in bed all day with it today. I told him it was his fault. In his defense it seems like whenever I serve corned beef we come down with the stomach bug and end up tossing it all up afterward. I don't know why I still like it after all those awful memories but I'm a sucker I guess. 

It was yummy and every year my two boys like it more and more. To start with they wouldn't eat it and now my seven year old asks for thirds so I say that is an accomplishment! 

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Mountainair said:

It was yummy and every year my two boys like it more and more. To start with they wouldn't eat it and now my seven year old asks for thirds so I say that is an accomplishment! 

Every year I say to myself, why don't I make this more often?  

• Love 1

I usually make it 2-3 times a year. I always buy two this time of year when they are on sale and freeze one for later and then I end up splurging and buying another one at full price around fall. We love it unfortunately it always coincides with stomach bug time in our house for some reason ;)

On 3/15/2017 at 1:26 PM, JTMacc99 said:

Two feet here.  All of those crocuses I planted last year were just making their way out when this happened. If a flower could say WTF?!, I imagine that's what they are doing right now.

I'm thinking perogies and a bag of some sort of vegetable blend for dinner tonight.  

Great minds think alike - we had pierogies and sauerkraut Wednesday. Last night was takeout - pizza with chicken, sausage and hot peppers. Tonight was twice-baked taters with tofu, cheese and peas blended in.  Corned beef (and the whole reason for having it, the hash made up of leftovers) will have to wait a couple of weeks due to life and stuff.

Edited by harrie

Last night, we had broccoli and garlic (bought from the prepped station at a grocery store), oven-ready chicken skewers (for my husband) and fish skewers (me, because of Lent), grain-free tabouli and pitazza (basically pizza on a pita).  It was fairly green in colour (for St. Patrick's Day)!! :)

• Love 2

Don't know what's for dinner, but lunch is about to be some smoked chicken breasts I made on my new smoker I talked about in gadgets. So excited to see how they came out. 

ETA: Perfect. Shredded and sauced them. Served on a club roll. 

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 3

We went to a catered St Patrick's dinner last night at the clubhouse in our development.  We had: corned beef & cabbage soup (wonderful--even tho' I dislike regular corned beef & cabbage); mini pot pies w/ cheddar cheese crust (meh); veggie Shepherd's Pie (delicious); and mashed potatoes with cabbage & bits of pork belly mixed in (they should've really diced & cooked that cabbage better).  Great big cupcakes w/ fabulous cream cheese-y frosting for dessert.  It was a fun dinner w/ neighbors & families.  Tonight I'm making the Pioneer Woman's shrimp curry.  Has anyone here made it?  I think it will be good. Going to serve it w/ basmati rice.

Edited to add:  It was delicious but only after quite a bit of additions!

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1

After spending a good part of the day assembling a new futon bunk bed for my daughter (twin is the top bunk) and only getting about 2/3 of the way done, we went to Culver's for a fast food, but very satisfying easy dinner.

I've called for reinforcements for final assembly from my mechanically inclined nephew.

• Love 1

Ended up making pizza for dinner. The Hanaford's I visited has excellent pizza dough which made the decision for me. 

I'm planning to go a few towns over today to a really cool small supermarket/garden center for a couple reasons. First, they have top notch produce, butcher shop and cheeses. I have a hankering for sausage and peppers and they make terrific turkey sausage. Second, it is in the same town as a friend, and I'm going to see if l can lure her out for lunch. 

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 2

Stouffer's chicken and noodle bake plus a tossed salad with a dressing I created today: pureed papaya, mayo, honey, little champagne vinegar, little chardonnay. Loved the color!  It tasted good but I bet it would be great on a fruit salad.

I sub Greek yogurt frequently for mayo, I typically thin the yogurt with a little oil to make it more consistent texture wise.

A homemade version of a Shake Shack burger and oven baked french fries.

• Love 1