Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Yea, I make 15 bean soup a couple of times a year. Typically I put kielbasa or smoked sausage in mine. My husband likes the Cajun kind they sell at the store but it's a bit too spicy for my kiddos so I have to take out a couple bowl fulls before I add the seasoning packet.

The last time I made mine in the crockpot the beans were a little crunchy though. I soaked the beans overnight and then cooked on low for 8 hours. I think next time I'll have to turn the heat to high for the last little bit.

My mom made some the other day and accidentally added a can of tomato sauce and said it tasted great, even better than usual.

I'm surprised 15 Bean soup was a hidden secret around this board :)

• Love 1

Yea, I make 15 bean soup a couple of times a year. Typically I put kielbasa or smoked sausage in mine. My husband likes the Cajun kind they sell at the store but it's a bit too spicy for my kiddos so I have to take out a couple bowl fulls before I add the seasoning packet.

Have you tried adding in some sour cream for the kids if it is too spicy? 

I never knew this until we did a potluck at work and the spaghetti sauce was way too spicy for me (I am a spice wuss, but everyone said it was pretty feisty).  A co-worker said to add a tablespoon of sour cream to my plate, mix it in and it will mute the spiciness.  I was skeptical, but tried it and it really worked.  So now I do that at home on a lot of dishes where my daughter likes it much milder than my son.

• Love 2

Between the bean soup talk here, and then coleycooks.com (the blog of an ex-Food Network Star contestant from the season the horrible Lenny won) throwing a Tuscan Bean and Kale soup at me, I am fairly certain I will be making some sort of bean soup by this weekend.

However tonight will be fried rice.  I cooked a pork loin on the grill on Sunday, and there's just the right amount left over to dice up and make fried rice.

• Love 1

I just finished a batch of 15-bean soup last week (it was a bag of 16 beans, but I hate lentils, so I picked all the lentils out). I used bison stock because I was curious (tasty, but it's expensive, so I won't do that again), and kielbasa, and then added cooked rice and chili powder when I heated up leftovers.

This week I've been eating a lot of buffalo cauliflower: roasted cauliflower with wing sauce and blue cheese. 

Between the bean soup talk here, and then coleycooks.com (the blog of an ex-Food Network Star contestant from the season the horrible Lenny won) throwing a Tuscan Bean and Kale soup at me, I am fairly certain I will be making some sort of bean soup by this weekend.

However tonight will be fried rice.  I cooked a pork loin on the grill on Sunday, and there's just the right amount left over to dice up and make fried rice.

Thanks for the link, JTMac99.   Looks yummy - I think I'll be making that next week. 

Eighteen Twelve, I love your bison/buffalo theme, even if it might have been unintentional.

Tonight is tasty Thai takeout. I'm doing shrimp with a spicy cashew sauce and the hub is doing cilantro-free pho. 

Edited by harrie

I like cabbage, but I don't like corned beef (I'm not a big beef fan in general).

I think salmon and asparagus tonight, because I'm not really in the mood for anything in particular and that's quick and easy.

i know it's boring, but: Corned beef & cabbage, potatoes, carrots, prepared in the almighty pressure-cooker. I just wish I could find a place that has cuts of corned beef that are as large as the ones my grandmother used to use, since the leftovers make excellent sandwiches.

We're doing a corned beef on Saturday; but for me, it's all about the hash made from the leftovers (with sunnyside up eggs on top - you break the yolk and enjoy the goodness.....).  The actual corned beef is just a way to get to the hash, so I'm looking forward to Sunday or Monday.  

• Love 2

I'm making chicken cacciatore tonight with the best, freshest chicken I've ever had. I'm an animal lover so it's hard for me to see these guys alive one day and in my pan the next but I think it's important to know and understand the process. I know and have seen how the chickens are raised and how they are killed and cleaned. I even helped clean the chicken I'm cooking tonight.

I'll make extra and freeze a batch. It's hard to cook for one so if possible I usually make enough to freeze some too.

And let me tell you, I've never had such great chicken in my life.

Now I just need to find somebody here with some pork and with the garden I have planned I'll never have to go into the city again.

Edited by Talky Tina
  • Love 3

Last night's dinner plans were pre-empted.  The 15 yo daughter got a haircut, much needed, and for reasons that only the teenage mind can understand, is not happy with the outcome despite it pretty much looking like what she described she wanted and the picture she provided the stylist.

In order to sooth the haircut induced trauma, she got to pick which was something that we call X Casserole - pasta, browned ground beef, a touch of salt and pepper, and absolutely plain tomato sauce.  If you are fancy, add grated cheddar cheese.  So the equivalent of Chef Boyardee Mini ABC & 123 with meatballs.  It is her comfort food.

Luckily, there was leftover taco meat for my son to have since he is not a fan.

• Love 1

I bought two pieces of corned beef brisket.  I'll cook both in my slow cooker sometime then half will be made into hash and the other half will go into split pea soup.  I don't bother having it in slices as an entree.

ETA my actual dinner tonight will be the last slice of flatbread I topped with caramelized onion, asparagus and the last of the ham I bought at New Year's and stuck in the freezer.  It seems I can only eat meat in its leftover form...

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 2

Tonight is actually 15 bean soup (Cajun style) for dinner. My husband picked up a bag when I was on bed rest and never got around to making it. Of course he failed to get any meat, tomatoes, onion, etc to add to it so Imwent out and got what we needed. I asked him about his plans and he said he was just going to cook the beans with water. Had I attempted to serve him that he'd be asking, "where's the meat?!, where's the flavor?!"

• Love 2

Sorry, all gone, but I can give you more warning the next time! There will be a next time.

Funny thing is that I will be down on the gulf coast the next couple days, so more shrimp is in my future I think.

• Love 1

Last night's dinner was going to be take out since it was a hella day.  Kids opted for McDonalds.  I normally charge the kids a fry tax since I don't typically order any myself (so each gets levied a 5-7 fry surcharge), but last night I ordered my own.  And they were delightful.

• Love 4

Trying to find delivery for today. Not so much dinner today but breakfast and lunch. 

ETA: Settled for 2 tamales and a green salad with avocados and tomatoes. This after getting a text from my trainer banning salt, sugar and other fun things. Kinda killed the Thursday eat what I want agenda...

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 1

We made this and it was excellent.  Had it for two meals, and the second time around, it tasted even better.  Thanks again, JTMac99!

Tonight is a big salad with hard-boiled eggs, bacon, and avocado (if it's still good) as toppings.  

• Love 2

I'm making ham in my slow cooker, cooked in pineapple juice, maple syrup and brown sugar.   I'm going to try Jamie Oliver's Potatoes Dauphinois, and have roasted broccoli on the side.   

We're doing a corned beef on Saturday; but for me, it's all about the hash made from the leftovers (with sunnyside up eggs on top - you break the yolk and enjoy the goodness.....).  The actual corned beef is just a way to get to the hash, so I'm looking forward to Sunday or Monday.

I feel exactly the same way.  I love home made corned beef hash, and the only time I can find reasonably priced corned beef is around St. Patrick's Day.   Similarly, I buy ham when it's on sale around Easter, and used it for soup, sandwiches and casseroles.   I bought a spiral ham and am planning to divide it up into several portions and freeze it using the vacuum freezer system I bought recently.  I usually divide up the ham and freeze it, but it still winds up getting freezer burn, I'm hoping the vacuum packing will let it keep longer.

• Love 1

Oven baked lamb chops with steam asparagus, red peppers and steamed green beans. Trying hard not to do dessert. Forumfish, I looked over the recipe for the meringue. It uses Swerve so it will be my first time trying both. The Swerve does not leave any aftertaste which is what the Stevia turn off is. Thanks for the link. And feel better...

Dinner last night was Papa John's because I was bone tired.  They now have green olives at a topping choice and there was much rejoicing.  Well, I rejoiced, my kids wanted no part of my contaminated pizza half.

Real exciting stuff...like leftovers that were frozen or sitting in the fridge.  Got to make room in the freezer so the last few days I've been thawing frozen items and setting them on the counter.  We just pick and choose items we're interested in and make our own meals :>)

I've got a question:  where do you buy masa?  I've looked in the supermarkets nearby and can't find it (in the international section).  I need it for a copycat recipe for California Pizza Kitchen's tortilla soup.  I've been grinding up corn tortillas but they're not getting ground up fine enough.

• Love 1

Real exciting stuff...like leftovers that were frozen or sitting in the fridge.  Got to make room in the freezer so the last few days I've been thawing frozen items and setting them on the counter.  We just pick and choose items we're interested in and make our own meals :>)

I've got a question:  where do you buy masa?  I've looked in the supermarkets nearby and can't find it (in the international section).  I need it for a copycat recipe for California Pizza Kitchen's tortilla soup.  I've been grinding up corn tortillas but they're not getting ground up fine enough.

Do you have any Hispanic food markets in your area? I find it amusing that in our relatively rural town of Edgewater, MD (south of Annapolis), there is a Hispanic market.

Last night we went to a market and deli at our marina that was having a shrimp & grits special. It was spiced with Old Bay, and had a sausage gravy on the grits. Boy howdy, was it good!

• Love 2

I think I may have posted this last time I made it, but last night I made the Turkey and White Bean Chili featured on "The CHew".   It turned out great, I added some stuff so I had extra, I'm bringing some to my dad's house.

Turkey and White Bean Chili
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 pounds ground turkey
• 1  large onion (peeled and chopped)
• 3  cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
• 2  jalapenos (seeded and diced)
• 3 cups chicken stock
• 2  cans diced tomatoes
• 3  cans cannellini beans (drained and rinsed, 15 ounces each)
• kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)

Serve With
• pico de gallo, corn tortilla strips, cheese, sour cream, red onions, pickled jalapenos, avocados, cilantro and scallions.

step-by-step directions
1 In a large pot, add olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add turkey and stir to combine breaking up meat with back of a wooden spoon. Cook until browned, about 7 minutes. Add onions, garlic, tomato paste, oregano, cumin, cinnamon, chili powder, nutmeg and jalapeno and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
2 Add chicken stock, diced tomatoes and beans, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 1 hour.
3 Serve in bowls garnished with pico de gallo, corn tortilla strips, cheese, sour cream, pickled red onions, pickled jalapenos, avocados, cilantro and scallions.

I added an extra can of tomatoes - I used the fire-roasted one, and an extra cup of chicken stock.  ​

And our garnish is just broken tortillas and another jalapeno, and shredded cheddar cheese.

• Love 5

Leftover Spaghetti and Meatballs for the family tonight. I'll probably eat the leftover roasted pork loin with some vegetables, or maybe I'll turn the pork into a skinny man's Cubano sandwich. I'll just switch out the big loaf of crusty bread with some marble rye. I think I have the rest of the stuff on hand.  (Oh great, now I'm hungry and a good 90 minutes from making that happen.)

Because I did not know what was on the FODMAP diet I was given today I stopped on the way home from the doctor's and indulged myself.

Three tacos... cabeza, carnitas and a lengua; some beans, chips and guacamole. I so enjoyed everything.

I so read the diet particulars and it nixed avocados but the rest of it was on the safe list. I have to do this for 6 weeks which is way better than the "always" I was thinking.

I bought an excellent masa from Amazon. It is organic too.

• Love 1
(edited)

ethalfrida, FODMAPS suck, but it is really hit and miss.  For example, two big categories to avoid are gluten and dairy, however I can eat them with no ill effects (thank god, cuz I'm not giving them up).  There are some foods that I can't eat in even the smallest quantity, and others that I can eat a little.   It's live and learn.

The good news? After a year of eating low FODMAP, I have stopped taking my colitis medication.  

ETA I just saw your comment about avocado being prohibited.  I had guacamole today. It was yummy, and I'm feeling fine. 

Edited by Quof
  • Love 1

ethalfrida, FODMAPS suck, but it is really hit and miss.  For example, two big categories to avoid are gluten and dairy, however I can eat them with no ill effects (thank god, cuz I'm not giving them up).  There are some foods that I can't eat in even the smallest quantity, and others that I can eat a little.   It's live and learn.

The good news? After a year of eating low FODMAP, I have stopped taking my colitis medication.  

ETA I just saw your comment about avocado being prohibited.  I had guacamole today. It was yummy, and I'm feeling fine. 

Thank you for this information. Your analysis is going to work well for me and I will follow your lead.

Yeah, milk is something I cannot have unless it is goat, kefir or just not straight milk. It is against the law what happens if I drink it! So I am not going to have to deal with that. But I do make my own cheese from full fat yogurt. But you know what my real, big problem is? Fruit!!! Give me some fruit and some sort of protein and I am a happy sister! Hopefully, if I can do this I can stay on it for longer than 6 weeks. Thanks again!

It is strange that "healthy" foods like fruits and vegetables are verboten.  Again - experiment.  One of the first things I eliminated was apple, because it was easy to remember.  I eventually went back to eating them, and it's fine.   The only fruits I have to avoid are watermelon and mango.  Makes me very sad.  The only veg I have to avoid, and that I miss, are asparagus and cabbage (something that I eat only in coleslaw, but it's surprising how often that is served as a side in restaurants).  Other random foods I miss are hummus (I can eat a few chickpeas, but not concentrated like that), and turmeric.  I used to wonder why I got agonizing pain in the middle of an Indian meal I was otherwise loving; it's the turmeric. 

• Love 1

@backformore (or anyone else with an opinion on this), I was looking at your chili recipe (and thanks for posting) and wondering about the ground meat & onions. I *always* cook the onions before adding the ground meat, because I think that helps give the meat more flavor (and also seems to make it easier for a lot of people to digest the onions, given the fodmap mentions, although I gather if you really have an acute problem, they're taboo anyway). So I'm genuinely curious: why would you cook the meat first (and without the onions)?

Dinner: enchiladas with creamy jalapeño sauce and pinto beans. Yesterday, broiled fish with mustard seed breading and creamed spinach with gorgonzola sauce. (I love the way mustard seeds crunch when you bite on them, and I could happily swim in gorgonzola sauce. Portion control keeps that from negatively outweighing the benefits of the spinach. *sigh*)

@backformore (or anyone else with an opinion on this), I was looking at your chili recipe (and thanks for posting) and wondering about the ground meat & onions. I *always* cook the onions before adding the ground meat, because I think that helps give the meat more flavor (and also seems to make it easier for a lot of people to digest the onions, given the fodmap mentions, although I gather if you really have an acute problem, they're taboo anyway). So I'm genuinely curious: why would you cook the meat first (and without the onions)?

That's the recipe I copied from the website.  I don't do it exactly that way, mostly because 2 pounds of ground meat and a large onion, won't fit in my largest frypan.  So I brown the meat first, put that in the chili pot, then cook the onions and other stuff, and add all of it to the large pot. 

Now I want chili!

I'm having oven-BBQ'd chicken, coleslaw and a baked potato.  Tasty and the good news is that it's within my calorie and nutrition count for the day!  (I love it when that happens.)

• Love 4

Oh, Nutmeg, be happy you don't need to know.....   It's an acronym for Fermentable Oligo and Di Mono something something.  They are naturally occurring carbohydrates that cause or exacerbate symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease - Crohns, colitis, etc. Part of the management of these conditions is a low FODMAP diet.   It means eliminating a lot of foods you might think are actually healthy, including a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables.