Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Back when I used to have in-laws I was asked to bring a dessert or two for Thanksgiving one year. I made traditional pumpkin & pecan pie, plus a chocolate chess one & then took hours making a spice cake shaped like a pumpkin with dark orange frosting, a green fondant stem & little fall leave decorations. My MIL took one look at it & said it looked like I wasted a lot of time on a cake for a holiday that only needed pies & set the cake in an out of the way spot in the kitchen. Thank goodness I don't have that to mess with anymore.

That's just brutal.  I'd sneak my cake back out to the car just to make sure she can't enjoy it later.

• Love 4

That's just brutal. I'd sneak my cake back out to the car just to make sure she can't enjoy it later.

I did take it home. I ate one piece & then put my immature face on & used my bare feet to stomp on it imagining a certain person. To say I had issues with my ex-in-laws would be an understatement. Bonus: ever since I was a little girl & had seen some bad movie with a teenager who walked through a cake I'd wondered how it would feel between my toes. The answer is squishy, soft & oddly fun.

Tonight more fish, but we're having rice (yea easy breezy rice cooker) & I'll probably just throw some veggies & sauce in it & call it good. I like simple.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 4

Fish here too - some beautiful flounder with lemon and dill, and brussel sprouts.

I did take it home. I ate one piece & then put my immature face on & used my bare feet to stomp on it imagining a certain person. To say I had issues with my ex-in-laws would be an understatement. Bonus: ever since I was a little girl & had seen some bad movie with a teenager who walked through a cake I'd wondered how it would feel between my toes. The answer is squishy, soft & oddly fun.

1.  Kudos.

2.  Good to know.  

• Love 1

Often that's the stuff that works out the best. Sounds very yummy!

It turned out great, so much so that I ate it again last night (with roasted cauliflower in place of Brussels sprouts this time around).

Tonight it's tacos; my mom made some this weekend and, knowing she makes the only ground beef taco mixture I'll eat, brought me leftovers.  I have all the fixings, so I'll make some guacamole, fry up some corn tortillas, and eat my humble tacos while watching Top Chef.

• Love 1

I made a pork chile verde tonight.  To make it I cubed pork tenderloin and tossed it in cornmeal mixed with chili powder then browned it in a skillet.  Then I added diced tomatillos, chicken broth, and a can of chopped green chili, and simmered it for about 15 minutes.   I was supposed to add a touch of tequila at the end, but I forgot (even though I actually bought the tequila for this recipe).  It tasted fine anyway, and I added some tequila to my leftovers, so I'll see if that makes much of a difference. 

On the side I had refried black beans and corn tortillas, which were good to dunk in the chili.   

• Love 1

I think tonight is going to be chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese for the family. I'll eat a salad or salmon, haven't decided yet. Naturally I'm looking forward to my "cheat day" which will be Sunday so I can munch on some yummy stuff whilst watching football. I'm the only person in my family who follows football so all the munchies will be soley for me :) chicken wings, spinach artichoke dip and then something for the whole family will be a sausage stuffed loaf. It usese ground beef, Italian sausage, chopped tomato, green pepper chunky tomato sauce and cheese. You hollow out a French loaf and stuff it with those ingredients, wrap in foil and bake in the oven.

Of course, the caveat to all of this is that I am expecting a major stomach bug to hit me any day now so none of this food may come to fruition. The two year old had it Tuesday night, last night the five year old got it and is still going strong. It's either me or DH (who has to work all weekend) next. I hate the impending doom of vomit. Maybe it will pass me by?

Good luck avoiding the bug, Mountainair. I hope you get to enjoy your Super Bowl feast. 

Beer Marsala sound kind of icky, yet intriguing!  Please let us know how the Beef Marsala turns out, DeLurker - sounds like it could be yummy.

Tonight is kefta - pan-fried, not grilled, with tzatziki on the side.  Mixing countries, not the traditional sauce, but tzatziki goes well with it.  

Edited by harrie
  • Love 2

Tonight was something new for us.  I thawed a bag of frozen seafood (mussels, squid, shrimp) and then sauted.  Added a jar of Trader Joe's arrabbiatta sauce + a little Bertolli tomato & basil sauce to tone down the arrabbiatta a bit.  Sprinkled in some seasonings + squirt of lemon juice and served over thin spaghetti.  It was really good and easy/fast to make.  Went well with leftover tossed salad.  I'm not allowing myself to enter a supermarket until I start using up lots of stuff in the freezer (like that bag of frozen seafood).

• Love 1

i made sausage and pepper heroes for dinner last night, really good and very easy.  I just cut up Italian turkey sausage, sautéed it, then added some chopped onions and garlic, and then a cup of spaghetti sauce and strips of red pepper. Then I simmered that for a few minutes until the pepper was crisp-tender.  I put the mixture on toasted sub rolls, then sprinkled with mozzarella and put under the broiler for a minute.  

• Love 1

Good luck avoiding the bug, Mountainair. I hope you get to enjoy your Super Bowl feast. 

Beer Marsala sound kind of icky, yet intriguing!  Please let us know how the Beef Marsala turns out, DeLurker - sounds like it could be yummy.

Tonight is kefta - pan-fried, not grilled, with tzatziki on the side.  Mixing countries, not the traditional sauce, but tzatziki goes well with it.  

The Beef Marsala turned out pretty good actually.  Since there was a fair amount of prep before putting it in the slow cooker and then after too, it was not as simple as a normal slow cooked meal (at least not for me). It called for cipollini onions which I have never heard of, so I subbed gold pearl onions.  Next time I think I will use whatever I have on hand since pearl onions are not a standard pantry item for me.  The flour-Marsala wine slurry to thicken things did not too out lump free but an immersion blender took care of the resulting problem.

But all of us liked it - I served it with the sauce on the side because 1) it was a new dish for us and 2) my kids are iffy on gravy-type things.  My son liked it fine as long as it was sauce free and my daughter preferred the sauce on the side for dipping. 

• Love 2

I bought a small amount of rosemary last weekend. I have made rosemary potato bread and rosemary potato focaccia; most of it has gone in the freezer. Tonight I am thinking of Ina's rosemary roasted potatoes and rosemary pork tenderloin.  Too much??

• Love 1

I'm making Coq Au Vin tonight.  It takes a while, but I really love making it and since I don't have to work today, I don't mind spending the time.  No Super Bowl party at my house, neither of us is interested in football.  It isn't on purpose, but I guess I'm making something that is the opposite of "Super Bowl" food.   

I'm glad a checked before I posted this.  I actually typed "Super Bowel" twice.  In my defense, I work as a medical transcriptionist, so I type "bowel" all the time, much more than "bowl".  

• Love 7

I'm making Coq Au Vin tonight.  It takes a while, but I really love making it and since I don't have to work today, I don't mind spending the time.

ALenore, do you have a good recipe for coq au vin? I've tried the Julia Child and a couple of others, I haven't really liked the results I've had so far. Thanks.

Hmm. So, at home tests are saying I'm pregnant, so im trying to cook very healthy at home. I went to Central Market a few days ago and bought some items to start with. So far, so good.

Tonight, I'm making grilled chicken with a type of bbq sauce made for chicken. It has sugar, but I'm not eating anything else with added sugar. I'm having a few baked small yellow potatoes and a bit of wild rice. I'm also lightly boiling some fresh french beans.

Other than that, today I had Kashi Autumn wheat cereal, DHA fortified milk for breakfast and orange juice, baby green salad with yellow and orange peppers, and a banana for lunch.

I might have some almonds for snack before dinner.

Lots of water and vitamins.

Not inventive, but I don't know how to do complicated recipes and dont have a beautifully stocked pantry. I'm also worried about eating something harmful. This pregnancy may not work out it's so early, but I'm doing what I can.

• Love 2
ALenore, do you have a good recipe for coq au vin?

The recipe I use is from The New York Times Cook Book by Craig Claiborne, 1990 edition.   I make it pretty much as written, but I use bacon instead of salt pork, and I add more onions and mushrooms than the recipe calls for.  

• Love 1

Hmm. So, at home tests are saying I'm pregnant, so im trying to cook very healthy at home. I went to Central Market a few days ago and bought some items to start with. So far, so good.

Congrats and best wishes!

Dinner was boiled potatoes, leftover beef roast, and yellow beans. Supper will be grilled cheese sandwiches and home-canned tomato soup. I love the soup so much - it's like a little slice of summer in the middle of this winter storm we're having!

• Love 2

Please allow me to second the congratulations and good wishes!  That's very exciting.

The big storm is headed this way, and even though chips (well, potato chips) are outlawed at my house, I love the idea of #stormchips. (We are, however, set with #stormbeer, so there's that.)  

• Love 4

I made spinach and artichoke dip for a super bowl party, so that, plus pigs in blankets, chicken strips, baby carrots, chex mix, Blue Bell Mardi Gras King Cake ice cream (cinnamon ice cream, yum!), one beer and probably some odds and ends I'm forgetting...

• Love 1

Made quinoa and chopped vegetables (cheated and bought them pre-chopped) in a slow cooker as a side dish.   The recipe I used said to set it on high for 2-4 hours, but it was done at around 1 1/2.  Quinoa was light and fluffy. 

• Love 1

I cooked beef strips and added them to taco shells with salsa verde, reduced fat sour cream, avocado, and some cheese. On the side, I had a few grape tomatoes.

It didn't "go," but I'd also bought some organic fresh broccoli crowns today, so I cooked one, too. Such an amazing difference from frozen broccoli. It tasted like the broccoli I get from some fine dining restaurants. I'm doing that again!

I don't currently have any onion, but after having half a leftover avocado, I read online to store it in an airtight container with some onion. Has anyone here tried preserving a cut avocado for short periods like that?

I don't often have leftover avocado, but when I do only use half I simply leave the pit in the other half and wrap it very tightly with plastic wrap so air can't get in.  Works like a charm; it's never sat in the fridge for more than a few days, so I don't know how long it would work, but it works for short-term purposes.

• Love 1

Okay. Plastic wrap is what I used today. That should work well enough until tomorrow evening. This cooking for one (and a blastocyst/upcoming embryo) and trying to only eat relatively healthy things and get in a variety is ...not hard...just takes some planning to not be miserable or wasteful. I've cooked a little before but not 2-3 meals a day just for myself.

This summer I made this big old lasagna with lots of different meats and cheeses. It took many hours and was awesome, but not appropriate for me right now. Feeds a lot of people or you find it in the freezer for several months.

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/23600/worlds-best-lasagna/

I had a fair bit of leftover roast chicken I needed to use up, so I filled a baking dish with a layer of wilted spinach, a layer of chopped chicken, and a layer of chopped Portobello mushrooms, then poured over it a sauce made with last of my Swiss cheese and sprinkled on a 50/50 mixture of Parmigiano-reggiano and bread crumbs.  Similar in flavor to my "let's throw together what I have in the fridge" use of a cut-up whole chicken recently, and just as tasty.

• Love 1

Someone way upthread mentioned Hoppin' John which sounded good to me so I made some yesterday.  I used Emeril's recipe and it was delicious. The only change I made was using a cut up smoked ham steak instead of pork hock because my grocery store didn't have any hocks packaged singly and a tray of four was three more than I could use.  I'll be having that again tonight and freezing the rest for later.

• Love 2

I have no idea what's for dinner.  I'm going to start clucking, I have eaten so much chicken lately (and that's saying something, as I always eat a lot of chicken), but in picturing the other contents of my fridge and freezer, nothing is inspiring me.  Maybe shrimp tacos.

• Love 2

Last night I made Tilapia Po' Boys  (recipe called for catfish, but I used tilapia instead).   I just cut the tilapia into strips and dippled it in milk, then into chili-spiced cornmeal and sauteed it in a frying pan.   The fish is put on hero rolls with brocolli cole slaw, tomatoes and avacado.  

Tonight I'm making Korean Chicken Lettuce Wraps.   I had groceries delivered this week, and unfortunately they were out of the lettuce I planned to use for this meal.   But luckily, the cafeteria where I work is making Thai Lettuce Wraps for lunch today, and I'm going to buy some of the lettuce and take it home to use in the wraps .

• Love 1

Last night I made the kids personal pizzas. I used premade gluten free crusts. They come two to a package & aren't that big so they're perfect. My youngest went simple: a little meat, a medium amount of cheese & lots of red sauce. My oldest likes complex pizzas & went with an olive oil base with whole basil leaves & crushed garlic; crumbled sausage & mozzarella; onion, artichoke hearts, roasted red pepper, sun dried tomatoes & avocado. She loved it. Next time she wants more basil, more avocado & roasted red pepper & to drop the sun dried tomatoes because she thought they didn't add anything. Me? I had a teff tortilla (I love them!) with some cheese melted on it & salsa to dip it in.

ETA: I had the younger one eat some veggies on the side. I try to do balanced meals to the best of my ability. I counted my salsa as a veggie because I was tired.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 3

It is one of those very rare days when I had a plan and knew exactly what I wanted to make for dinner.  Furthermore, I wanted to get it all done by noon so that I wouldn't have to sweat dinner this evening, and wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles (no tailors were harmed in the making of this meal), I got it done.  

I made pita bread.  Hummus with Hungarian Hot Paprika and roasted beets.  Oven roasted tomatoes.  Marinated beets, avocado, chopped raw spinach and herbs.  

I just had some, because part of the reason I wanted a weirdly spring-like meal is that my husband will be a bit late and I could eat whenever I wanted to.  

It was fabulous.   

• Love 2

Scrambled eggs with spinach, asparagus, cheese, and tomatoes with sriracha. Pumpernickel toast with a little butter.

I'm starting to feel some of what I assume is morning sickness. The thought of eggs sounds awful, but my gag reflex settles down when I think of the warm bread and, surprisingly, tomatoes.

Edited by Betweenyouandme
  • Love 2

I bought a big salad at SAMs yesterday which has lasted me four meals now. For the kids and hubby I just made a digorno pizza for dinner.

I've been busy cleaning and cooking for tomorrow though. We are having some new friends over for dinner. Im making pork loin which is currently marinating in the fridge in my Grandpas super secret marinade. Not sure if I want to bake it or grill it tomorrow. It's actually supposed to be nice out. To go with that I have fettuccine Alfredo with homemade sauce, spinach orzo salad, succotash and garlic bread. For desert I made Hershey Bar chocolate cake. They have three kids, two that go to preschool with our boys so it should be a fun night!

• Love 3

I'm making curried chicken salad wraps tonight.   The cafeteria where I work sells these, they used to make a version a really liked with golden raisins, almonds and scallions, but now their version is just chicken, mayonnaise and curry powder.  I found a recipe on-line that was pretty similar to their old version, so I'm making that, and adding chopped apple as well.  I'm using one of the many chicken cutlets I have saved up in the freezer, since I buy them whenever they're on sale.   

• Love 1

Yesterday, it was dinner with the parentals.  Tonight = lazy Sunday (aka Downton Day) and we bought a pre-roasted chicken from the grocery store (whole).  Will eat half and then freeze the rest for alter in the week (I might make chicken fried quinoa or sorghum (i.e. chicken fried rice, replaced with quinoa or sorghum).

• Love 2

We did grocery store rotisserie chicken on Friday night. As much as a I love cooking, it's nice to do stuff like that from time to time. We finished it off in one dinner and lunch the next day.

Tonight I'm making golombki, which is a beef and rice mixture inside cabbage rolls with tomato soup over it. Great winter dinner, and super yummy!

• Love 1

Tonight I'm making Cincinnati Chili, a great meal for cold weather.   It's a mildly spiced, slightly cinnamon-flavored chili which you serve on top of spaghetti and kidney beans, top with cheddar cheese and chopped onions.  I'm making a lot of the chili, so I can freeze half for later, when all I'll have to do is thaw the meat and cook some spaghetti.  

• Love 2

Oh, golumbki is the best - one of our favorite things!  We use tomato sauce, a little vinegar, and about 1T brown sugar  instead of tomato soup  -- that's the way the hub's babcia did it. Tonight is tuna noodle casserole at my house. 

Edited by harrie
  • Love 1

Oh, golumbki is the best - one of our favorite things!  We use tomato sauce and a little vinegar instead of tomato soup  -- that's the way the hub's babcia did it. Tonight is tuna noodle casserole at my house. 

Hmm, I'll have to give that a try - something more "authentic" it sounds like. It's not something I grew up eating but I just love cabbage and saw a recipe in a magazine, and it's become a favorite.

Tonight I'm making Cincinnati Chili, a great meal for cold weather.   It's a mildly spiced, slightly cinnamon-flavored chili which you serve on top of spaghetti and kidney beans, top with cheddar cheese and chopped onions.  I'm making a lot of the chili, so I can freeze half for later, when all I'll have to do is thaw the meat and cook some spaghetti.

The only time I had access to Cincinnati chili was at my last job and it was fantastic. I guess I could make it myself, but it was a real favorite in our old cafeteria and I haven't sought out the recipe yet. Mmm.

• Love 1