Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

(edited)

Running errands today and walked by Swan Oyster Depot and there was a short line but a single seat available because they were a group which meant I had to stop so I had half a dozen oysters and their daily crudo and an Anchorsteam as an afternoon “snack”.

Tonight with be 3 cup Chicken and Szechuan broccoli with rice which I probably won’t eat that much of because of my snack but it was worth it. 

Edited by biakbiak

Breakfast: two scrambled eggs with hot sauce; two slices of sprouted whole grain bread, one with butter and one with sunflower butter; a giant plate of strawberries and blueberries; a mug of unsweetened soymilk; fish oil and vitamin D3 supplements

Lunch: a combination of red lentil rotini and ancient grains penne with Victoria fradiavolo sauce, Gardein vegan "meatballs," and nutritional yeast...so good.

Snack: two mugs of decaf loose-leaf green tea, and a few squares of Endangered Species dark chocolate with cacao nibs

Dinner: a salad with spinach, radish greens, radishes, tomato, red bell pepper, tofu cutlet, artichoke and kalamata olive hummus, and hot sauce

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

What is this meal "breakfast" y'all keep referring to?

LOL well a few weeks ago I tried to make a "what did you guys eat today" thread, but the mods combined it with this thread for some reason. I usually post whatever I ate that day since it helps motivate me to eat healthy, and some people post dinner.

Honestly though my breakfast time is more like lunch time because I don't eat for a few hours after I get up. I guess I'm kind of doing "intermittent fasting" except not on purpose because usually all my meals are naturally in an 8 to 10 hour window.

(edited)

Breakfast: two slices of sprouted whole grain bread, one with 1/4 avocado and one with sunflower butter; another 1/4 avocado with black pepper; tofu cutlet with hot sauce; plate of strawberries and blueberries; fresh mozzarella; fish oil and vitamin D3 supplements

Lunch: same thing as yesterday plus decaf loose-leaf black tea

Snack: lemon seltzer

Dinner: chia pudding (chia seeds, cacao powder, unsweetened soymilk, raw honey)

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
9 hours ago, chessiegal said:

What is this meal "breakfast" y'all keep referring to?

I do brunch...that leaves me a lotta leeway as to when I "rise & shine for the maritime" (my dad used to bellow that Navy call every school day morning at 6:45 AM)☺

Last night I made fettucine al fredo, something we haven't had in a long time. Plus a salad, and French bread with anchovies along the top (they mellow out while baking & are a nice contrast with the pasta). 

For breakfast left over combo pizza with 3x amt of roasted grape tomatoes ( I nibble on them), from last night. 

Protein shake for lunch.

Dinner is roasted chicken, gravy, cornbread dressing, simmered green beans, roasted carrots, and arugula salad with lemon poppyseed vinaigrette.

Caramel cake for dessert 

3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Tequila lime grilled chicken wraps

Coincidence - I'm marinating chicken breasts in Ina Garten's tequila lime recipe right now (tequila, lime juice, orange juice, jalapeño, garlic, and chili powder) and will grill them shortly.  I haven't yet decided what to do as the veggie, but the salad will be mixed greens with avocado, a cilantro pepita dressing I made earlier in the week, and some extra cotija cheese and pumpkin seeds.

• Love 1
(edited)
19 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I also used Ina’s recipe except with chicken thighs instead of breasts, super easy and super tasty.

I really like the marinade (I just don't marinate the meat for anywhere near as long as the recipe calls for), and have used it on thighs and wings, too (plus bone-in chicken breasts that I then bake instead of grill), as well as shrimp and fish for tacos.  It's versatile, tasty, and made of ingredients I always have.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

It was a horrible, cold, rainy day here yesterday, so I spent the afternoon cleaning and intermittently cooking things that we could eat later this week for dinners. Made a batch of tomato sauce (only one quart left of my canned tomatoes from last year!), and then split it into some for the vegetarian and cooked a batch of meatballs in the rest. Real, not fooling around, beef & port meatballs as opposed to lightening them up with super lean beef or turkey.  

I also cooked up a box of macaroni and made macaroni salad, a Macc Jr favorite. We'll probably have meatball heroes tonight, and then grilled [something] tomorrow with the macaroni. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

Let’s see, there were gummy bears for lunch (don’t judge, they were organic!) and then potato and eggplant coconut curry, chana masala from a can (Wegman’s brand, pretty good), naan and raita for dinner. 

I didn't know what chana masala was (canned or otherwise), so I looked it up and found that it's also known as chickpea curry and can be made with canned chickpeas and canned tomatoes, so it follows that a canned version might be "pretty good".  No Wegman's here in Calif but plenty of Indian recipe ingredients, so I might try to make it.  I have really liked the few Indian dishes I've tried -- the only non-bland hospital food I've ever had was when I requested a meatless menu and received a multi-course Indian dinner that looked beautiful, smelled enticing, and tasted magnificent.

• Love 3

My brother and my sister-in-law were making a quick weekend trip to my neck of the woods, so I met them for dinner tonight.  We ate at a local seafood place.  It was very nice.  It was cool and breezy enough so that we could eat outside.  The restaurant is built way up high on pilings, so the view of the water was very pretty. We even caught a glimpse of some dolphins out in the channel. The others each got shrimp and fish plates and I was fried shrimp all the way.  We also got fried crab claws as an appetizer.  (I just realized that I was supposed to get coleslaw with my dinner and they forgot to bring it.  Oh well, it's not like I missed it.  We were all stuffed when we finished.)  

• Love 1

Babysitting an 8 year old and dinner was her choice so chicken and black bean nachos eaten right off the sheet pan with pickled jalapeños, guacamole and sour cream. Plus, brown butter coconut cookies for dessert.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sick with a bad cold/sore throat today, so no cooking for me.

Breakfast: none

Lunch: From a local halal place (I love my town, we have three places where I can get falafel) -- falafel balls, hummus, pita, salad, tahini dressing, and baklava for dessert. The hummus and baklava were REALLY good.

Snack: Two mugs of decaf green and spearmint loose-leaf tea, and a bit of raw honey on the side...trying to help with my sore throat but it didn't really work.

Dinner: Wasn't too hungry so just had a protein shake with chocolate vegan protein powder and unsweetened oat milk. This actually helped my sore throat a lot for some reason.

Snack: Key Lime Pie Larabar (it's ok but I thought it would have more lime juice) and some unsweetened vanilla cashew milk for my throat.

Also xylitol mints throughout the day because cough drops are disgusting. Also about to take my melatonin to at least get a good night's sleep hopefully.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
(edited)

One of the things I like about having a well stocked kitchen we had unexpected overnight guests everyone slept in because its cold and rainy so for brunch I took mashed potato cakes that I had in the freezer (with cheese, scallions and bacon) baked them and topped them with ham, poached eggs, and Trader Joe’s jalapeño sauce with an arugula pear salad. We also had Prosecco in the fridge so their were mimosas as well.

Since it continues to be cold and rainy I am making chili in the Instant Pot and make cornbread for dinner. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

We had our first sail of the season today - clear skies, highs in the upper 70s, light winds and calm seas. I packed an egg salad sandwich on wheat with tomato and lettuce. Washed it down with a glass of Prosecco. Food always tastes better when we're sailing.

Dinner will be crab cakes, steak fries, and cucumber salad.

• Love 1

I could lie and claim something healthy, but the LONG-OVERDUE gorgeous weather here meant no cooking, so I had a Red Robin Bacon Cheeseburger, Fries, and a side of Mac 'N Cheese delivered. And it was so good, I can't even be sorry or feel guilty about it. 😄

• LOL 3

Used leftover roast chicken to make a chicken salad with cabbage, carrots, red pepper, snap peas, cashews, wonton skins I fried and a sesame dressing! Other than the presence of wonton skins and sesame dressing it isn’t  Chinese/Asian so I don’t call it that but it is tasty. 

Falafel that I had previously frozen all the fixings including some pickled turnips I made a few moths ago and forgot about and a bulgur tomato pilaf. For desert a cherry clafoutis with some yummy cherries I picked up at the Farmers market today.

• Love 1

Ordered from a new(ish) pizza place tonight.  Three pies - a pesto chicken, eggplant (red sauce) and one with speck, apples and walnuts and drizzled with honey.  Apps as well.  Unfortunately, the pizzas were kind of on the cold side and the crust was hard.  We still ate it, since we were hungry but we aren't ordering from there again.  😞

• Love 1

My boyfriend bought some black eyed peas at the farmers market and since it’s cold and rainy I am making Hoppin John in the Instantpot with Collards and rice, plus corn bread.

• Love 1

I had no idea potato chips could go bad. We were sailing today and I found some Panera Bread chips that had been on the boat since last year. One bite and I realized they were rancid. I spit it out and got rid of the taste with a few sips of Prosecco. Note to self: do not leave food on the boat over the winter.

• Love 1

Had a chill Memorial Day today with my husband.

Breakfast: Didn't have.

Lunch: Went to local diner (I live in NJ so diners are a big thing), had: an omelette with mushrooms, tomato, bell peppers, and avocado; home fries; toast with butter; and the requisite unsweetened iced tea (with lemon and mint leaves this time). I like the combination of avocado and eggs, not a huge fan of potatoes in general though so I'll substitute it out for salad next time if they let me.

Snack: Went to local coffee shop, got iced coffee and banana bread. I drank half the iced coffee black and added unsweetened soymilk to the other half later after I got home. I've never really been a coffee drinker but I've been having it more lately. I may need to buy a coffee-making apparatus to make it at home and save money if the coffee habit continues.

Snack: A can of black cherry sparkling water.

Dinner: Many leftovers. Yesterday I made some tempeh "chicken" salad (it's tempeh with flaxseeds, Veganaise, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, and various seasonings...also should have something crunchy in it like radishes, but I didn't have anything on hand) so I had half of those leftovers on sprouted whole grain bread. I also had a salad of kale, tomato, and baby carrots with the other half of the tempeh "chicken" salad as well as some leftover ginger marinated tofu. I also had a tiny piece of leftover fresh mozzarella, some coconut-almond milk, and an apricot. Yay summer fruits are in season!

In the too hot to cook category - it was in the 90s here today. I had grilled shrimp tacos at a local watering hole with a glass of Prosecco for lunch. For dinner we split a Panera Bread chicken poppy seed salad. It's my favorite salad, and it's seasonal, so we're enjoying it while we can.