Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

(edited)
17 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Fuck... maybe I've got this heaven and hell thing all wrong if hell has the potato salad. 

No, Quof is confused. Hell has the slimy macaroni salad. Heaven has my mom's potato salad, by popular request.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 3

I'll be fine either place because I love both potato salad and macaroni salad, though I do hate heat so that might be an issue.

My boyfriend has been having issues with allergies recently so we decided to stay in instead of going to a friend's BBQ, so we are doing burgers (chopped beef method demonstrated on The Chew a few days ago), oven baked fries, and I made some black bottom cupcakes for dessert. Plus, mango shakes with the ice cream I made last week and tons of rum.

• Love 3

No, Quof is confused.

Um, no....   : ) 

Cold potatoes swimming in mayonnaise. Shudder.

I am a fan of German potato salad because (1) it is served warm, (2) it involves a vinegar and oil dressing, not mayo, and (3) bacon.   

(edited)
17 hours ago, Quof said:

I am a fan of German potato salad because (1) it is served warm, (2) it involves a vinegar and oil dressing, not mayo, and (3) bacon.   

So... And also this:

On 7/3/2017 at 5:26 PM, 2727 said:

Everybody likes their own potato salad version best, right? I've never had any in a restaurant or deli that I thought measured up.

When I was 17 years old, back in the dark ages, I got a job with one of the delicatessens in town. The owner was an Italian guy. He bought the shop from a German guy at least 5 years before I started working there. All of the salads were made there by the staff. The potato salad was made by the previous owner, who would come in fairly regularly to make batches of the stuff. 

Both regular and German started out with the same process. The potatoes spend a night soaking up a mixture of vinegar *, sugar, salt and I think water. The mayonnaise based salad then got the celery, onion, etc. and went in the cold display. It was fantastic. I found a guy who makes the same style in my new home town and will go out of my way to get it once in a while. I do actually prefer the recipe I use for my own homemade, but not by much.  

The German style got the bacon (Woo! Bacon!) and the rest of it's stuff and went into the warm pans.  Also fantastic. 

And this may or may not have been the start of my love of potato salad, but there is no denying that it is very high on my list of comfort foods. It is not great that I have such a large amount of it in my refrigerator right now, but at least my son loves it, so I can be sure it will disappear fast. 

* For me, vinegar is what makes potato salad awesome. If I don't catch the tang of vinegar in a store bought potato salad, I won't buy that one again. Not quite as important, but another example of a flavor I need in something is Worcestershire Sauce in meatloaf. That background note in meatloaf just makes me happy. 

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 2

Potato salad is good (but takes much longer than macaroni salad to make!).  I remember, as a kid, having potato salad with a vinaigrette like dressing.  My aunt and uncle would buy it in Mt. Vernon at a German deli, bringing it upstate to us (along with fabulous cold cuts and rolls).  I've never made it but I remember Ina making it and also reading somewhere that it's a French style potato salad.  I also love the German warm potato salad but would never try to make it. Back to regular, cold potato salad with mayo dressing: sometimes I put some horseradish in the mayo which is quite good.  There's also a Dilled Potato and Pickled Cucumber Salad that has a little of both styles.  The cucumber slices and fresh dill soak up the vinegar, are drained and then you add the potatoes, radishes & mayo. Quite good!

Back on topic:  Supper/dinner last night was Asian style salmon and sesame noodles.  Tonight will be leftovers from Monday's grilling of brats and burgers, and some macaroni salad :>)

• Love 2

Tonight will be Chicken Picatta and steamed clams. 

On potato salad. After I drain the tatties I lay them out on a sheet pan to cool but squeeze a lemon over them as they absorb it much better when warm and it gives the salad a bit of lemon zing. Will also sometimes use a lemon herb aoili instead of just mayo. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

On potato salad. After I drain the tatties I lay them out on a sheet pan to cool but squeeze a lemon over them as they absorb it much better when warm and it gives the salad a bit of lemon zing. Will also sometimes use a lemon herb aoili instead of just mayo. 

I do something similar, but instead of lemon I use a mixture of vinegar (or dill pickle juice) and yellow mustard.

• Love 2

I love my great grandmother's potato salad. Her's is  the way we've always made it and eat it. It is mayonnaise based with vinegar, a bit of mustard, then sweet pickle, eggs, celery and onion. It is mixed to our taste profile while the potato cubes are hot and once made it is never refrigerated. It's made about an hour or so before eating. We tell people it hasn't been refrigerated so they can opt out but those who do eat it love it and no one has ever gotten sick. My dad and I are the only ones who would eat the chilled leftovers. Chopped bacon and potato salad sandwiches on white balloon bread

I'm picky about potato salad. There are others I like but they are few and far between. My German nanny made a potato salad that was out of this world.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I do something similar, but instead of lemon I use a mixture of vinegar (or dill pickle juice) and yellow mustard.

I use either rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar on the potatoes. I also add a bit a vinegar to the mayo.

(edited)
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Tonight will be Chicken Picatta and steamed clams. 

Crap. Went to two places. No clams until afternoon tomorrow so I'm making crostini with fig jam and goat cheese instead. Darn. 

3 hours ago, Giselle said:

. Chopped bacon and potato salad sandwiches on white balloon bread

I

That actually sounds good but please explain to me what white ballloon bread is. Never heard of it. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
(edited)

Homemade lo mein with bell peppers, cabbage and pork. It was okay but it didn't taste like I wanted it to. Our favorite Chinese delivery place went under new management a couple of years ago and became terrible, and we haven't been able to find a new place. So I tried to make it myself but the sauce was too sweet and gloppy. Back to the drawing board!

Oh well, there's still cake!

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/3/2017 at 5:26 PM, 2727 said:

Everybody likes their own potato salad version best, right? I've never had any in a restaurant or deli that I thought measured up.

On 7/3/2017 at 5:58 PM, Bastet said:

I don't eat potato salad (I hate potatoes), but substitute macaroni salad, and that's me -- I will not eat anything other than my mom's anymore, because I got tired of any other version I tried inevitably not being "right."

On 7/3/2017 at 8:07 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Oh, and thanks to you all, I'm going to have to go out tomorrow and get the ingredients for macaroni salad.

'Tis the time of year when I get my first cravings for my mom's macaroni salad.  She's been gone these past 12 years, but I learned the recipe at her knee and it's not summer unless I've made it at least once.  I made a big bowl on the 4th of July, and we're still working on it.  Onion, green pepper, Spanish olives, dill pickles (all chopped v. v. tiny, which my slap chopper has made infinitely easier).  Add a couple globs of mayo and a generous splash of pickle juice (the secret ingredient!).  Sprinkle with a generous dusting of Italian seasoning, a smidge of salt, and some pepper.  Stir it all up and add the macaronis.  Stir well until the macaronis are coated with the dressing.  It will seem a little runny, but once it sits in the fridge a spell it thickens up; stir it up again, and you can add more mayo if you want.  Heaven in a bowl. 

I'm sure there are some making horrrrrrfing noises right now, but there truly is nothing better than your own mom's macaroni and/or potato salad.  Future hubby FLOVES his mom's potato salad, and is all "It's a'aight, dog." about my mom's mac salad, while I'm just the opposite.  It's really all a matter of what you grew up with.

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 4

I am trying to do a freezer purge.  To my delight, I found some sea scallops that I forgot about. Tonight seared scallops, mushroom risotto, fresh peas from my neighbor's garden, & lemon Italian ice for dessert.  I found a stick of lemon parsley compound butter in the freezer.  Some of that will be used too.

• Love 1
(edited)
23 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

That actually sounds good but please explain to me what white ballloon bread is. Never heard of it. 

I'm guessing it's Wonder Bread. There were balloons decorating the wrapper. I guess they're dots, not balloons?

product-classic-white.png

Edited by ennui
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, ariel said:

Can you share your recipe for spring rolls?

I don't really have a recipe it's kind of whatever I have on hand when I crave them these will have tofu, red pepper, cucumber, rice noodles, serrano chili's, mint, Thai basil, and cilantro wrapped up in rice wrapper. 

With this peanut sauce 

3/4 cup natural-style creamy peanut butter, 1/3 cup water, 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 4 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, 2 1/4 teaspoons chili Galicia sambar,  medium garlic clove, 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil all put in a blender. 

• Love 1
(edited)

You guys really have me craving potato salad.  I had one serving at a 4th of July cookout, but I limited myself to one scoop.  I like most versions of potato salad (warm and cold, vinegary and mayo-based) and most of cole slaw (again, both vinegar and mayo-based kinds).  As long as you don't put either olives or cilantro on them I'm good.  (I only like olives on a relish tray, not cut up in foods and cilantro is of the devil). 

I worked in the yard this evening, so I put two chicken thighs in the oven (sprinkled liberally with some Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning) and a nice-sized potato.  They were ready when I came in just now.  

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 2

My favorite omelette:  roasted red bell peppers & goat cheese.  Served with Triscuits instead of toast (because using the toaster while the air conditioner is running blows a fuse), followed by canteloupe balls tossed with lime juice & honey.  

Leftover sauteed flank steak (do you sense a pattern here?) and fresh corn on the cob.  The corn is getting better with each stop at the produce stand.

All washed down with a lovely White Bordeaux. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Leftover sauteed flank steak (do you sense a pattern here?) and fresh corn on the cob.  The corn is getting better with each stop at the produce stand.

All washed down with a lovely White Bordeaux. 

The corn is finally available were I live  & I'm going out to a local farm  tomorrow to get some.  I'm still impatiently waiting for the heirloom tomato's.  White Bordeaux sounds nice to pair with the corn.

• Love 1
On 7/5/2017 at 0:56 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Crap. Went to two places. No clams until afternoon tomorrow so I'm making crostini with fig jam and goat cheese instead. Darn. 

White balloon bread is a classic commercial loaf of bread with a with a light airy tender crumb and soft crust. Wonder Bread is a well known brand. We called it balloon bread because it was so light and fluffy but could collapse down to nothing. 

We would lightly slatherer it with butter or mayo or mustard, a scoop of potato salad spread about then bacon liberally crumbled on top of that and pressed in, sometimes a slice of tomato. Slap it together and enjoy.

(edited)
10 hours ago, Giselle said:

We would lightly slatherer it with butter or mayo or mustard, a scoop of potato salad spread about then bacon liberally crumbled on top of that and pressed in, sometimes a slice of tomato. Slap it together and enjoy.

I watched some of The Breakfast Club last night including the part when Ally Sheedy made her sandwich for lunch which consisted of two slices of white bread, several pixie sticks and then a generous handful of Captain Crunch. Slapped it together and enjoyed. Heh.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Cheese, crackers, and ice cream. Fortunately I don't have to set a good example for anyone. 

What kind of crackers? Sue me, AMA, but cheese and hard salami on Ritz is one of my favorite meals. I'm also currently on a kick of tuna salad on Chicken in a Biscuit crackers.

A friend's coming over today to walk me through making her onion and olive pizza with white sauce. She brought it to a pot luck and I've become fixated.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, 2727 said:

What kind of crackers? Sue me, AMA, but cheese and hard salami on Ritz is one of my favorite meals. I'm also currently on a kick of tuna salad on Chicken in a Biscuit crackers.

They were buttery crackers (like Ritz/TownHouse) with beer cheese spread. It wasn't even real cheese! But it was delicious. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, ennui said:

I'm guessing it's Wonder Bread. There were balloons decorating the wrapper. I guess they're dots, not balloons?

product-classic-white.png

I always thought of them as balloons--still do.  When I was in grade school, we went on a tour of a local commercial bakery where they made Wonder Bread.  As we were leaving they handed out teeny tiny loaves of Wonder Bread in the same wrapping.  We kids were thrilled and I know I've never forgotten that cute miniature loaf of bread.  My mother disliked WB and never bought it, much to my despair (kids love that kind of bread, don't they?).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

When I was in grade school, we went on a tour of a local commercial bakery where they made Wonder Bread.  As we were leaving they handed out teeny tiny loaves of Wonder Bread in the same wrapping.  We kids were thrilled and I know I've never forgotten that cute miniature loaf of bread.  

I remember doing that too.  Those tiny loaves were so cute & it felt like it was mine.  My brother got one too so there was no sibling rivalry .

• Love 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

My mother disliked WB and never bought it, much to my despair (kids love that kind of bread, don't they?).

I never did, so I was always disappointed when I was at a friend's house and that's what we were given.  (I politely ate it, of course.  But inside, I was wishing for some wheat bread.  Or rye.  Or sourdough.  Just not that white bread!)

• Love 1

My mother always bought whole wheat so it was a treat to occasionally have Wonder Bread served at a friend's house.

My sister and I would sometimes buy a loaf with our allowance and mash small pieces into the shape of communion wafers so we could play Mass with the neighborhood kids. Kneel and receive this piece of bread I squashed with my grimy hands!

• Love 5

Went to a favorite Latin restaurant tonight (Samantha's in Takoma Park for any DC area folks).  Had a cheese pupusa to start, then the chicken enchiladas.  I brought home enough to eat for lunch and dinner tomorrow.  As I often say in these instances... I'll never eat again! (well, until I hit the leftovers tomorrow)

And yes, there was wine. 

• Love 4

That sounds pretty good.  Kind of like egg salad, but with potatoes added.  

I grew up eating Sunbeam brand white bread and probably Colonial brand.  Now on the rare occasions I buy white bread it's usually Bunny Bread brand.  I know about Wonder bread, but I'm not sure if I've ever eaten any (except maybe at a friend's house).  Speaking of bread, I had been given some home-grown tomatoes from my dad's garden, so I bought a loaf of white bread specifically to go with the tomatoes (Bunny Bread).  I had two tomato sandwiches for breakfast. 

• Love 1
On Friday, July 07, 2017 at 7:19 AM, JTMacc99 said:

I watched some of The Breakfast Club last night including the part when Ally Sheedy made her sandwich for lunch which consisted of two slices of white bread, several pixie sticks and then a generous handful of Captain Crunch. Slapped it together and enjoyed. Heh.

So did I and wondered how Molly Ringwald and Emilio Estevez didn't get sick since she had sushi and he had a cartoon of milk that had to be sitting out for hours unrefrifgerated.

• Love 1

I made a frittata and threw in stuff that was in the fridge (cut up ham cold cut, sauted mushrooms, some minced bell pepper, etc) and a new salad that I found in Parade Magazine this morning that called for grilled peaches (I had nectarines).

• Love 1

Corn on the cob (noticeably better than earlier in the week!), green beans and leftover... tri tip (you thought I was gonna say flank steak, didn't you?)

Finished the white Bordeaux.  It was quite lovely.  I hope I can find it again.

• Love 2

Well since it's Sunday, and my parents will be coming round any time soon, I will be cooking a good old traditional British Sunday dinner -  Roast Beef, with all the trimmings (roast potatoes, mixed veg, new potatoes, parsnips, Yorkshire Pudding, beef gravy and English mustard)

• Love 6
9 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Corn on the cob.

I was thinking about heading over to one of the local farmers markets today and seeing if anyone had corn brought up from Jersey yet. Now I'm definitely going to do that.