Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, ebk57 said:

... On topic, dinner tonight was lemon yogurt and chips.  And wine, of course.

What kind of wine pairs well with lemon yogurt?  Depends on what kind of chips, perhaps?

38 minutes ago, 3pwood said:

What kind of wine pairs well with lemon yogurt?  Depends on what kind of chips, perhaps?

I'm wondering what Mr. ebk had for dinner ... the same thing? 

Finally moved and got wifi today. Kitchen is unpacked and set up but I'm too tired to cook. 

Big salad with wax and green beans, avocado, scallions, cottage and blue cheese with Italian dressing. It's whatever I had and I call them garbage salads. It was good. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, 3pwood said:

Honestly, no wine pairs well with any yogurt.  The deal is to eat the yogurt, drink some water, then start on the chips (regular tortilla chips) before you pick up the wine.  I'm drinking a lovely rose, which pairs well with chips.

2 hours ago, ennui said:

I'm wondering what Mr. ebk had for dinner ... the same thing? 

Mr ebk had already eaten by the time I got home.  So I do what I'm capable of doing when he isn't cooking for me - eating what's easily available.  I'm adaptable.

Tonight I went to a work social event and had some fabulous local beers.  Fortunately, there was some wonderful roasted chicken waiting for me when I got home.

• Love 1

Just pulled some scones out of the oven as the boys wanted scones with jam and cream for breakfast.

For those of you who have eaten both, what is the difference between a scone and a biscuit? I have only have a scone, not a biscuit, although the ingredients sound very similar! 

(edited)
2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Just pulled some scones out of the oven as the boys wanted scones with jam and cream for breakfast.

For those of you who have eaten both, what is the difference between a scone and a biscuit? I have only have a scone, not a biscuit, although the ingredients sound very similar! 

I am not a baker so can't answer your question. I do have a lifelong love affair with biscuits but don't think I've had a scone. I came here to say how lucky your boys are to have a mom (or dad!) who cooks so often and loves doing it. They will grow up with special memories of family meals and how mom made fresh scones for them for breakfast. I get the warm fuzzies when I think of my mom and the delicious meals she'd cook for us almost every day and night. We rarely went out to eat. So, well done, @Mellowyellow! And big props to all the dads who cook for their kids. I'm looking at you, @JTMacc99

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Bastet said:

I have no idea what's for dinner, but for lunch I just had a BLT made with my garden's first tomato of the season.  Bliss.

As for the teas, as I understand it, historically high tea was a full, family meal served when workers got home for the evening, while low tea was the afternoon social gathering for ladies of leisure (the tea and small snacks were also enjoyed by other high society members, too), who ate fashionably late in the evening and thus liked a little something to tide them over.

That's what afternoon tea is on the QM2 which we just took across the pond to Southampton. Tea starts at 3:30 pm, which meant for those of us at the 6:30 dinner sitting wasn't something we did but once, since too much food before dinner unless you skipped lunch.

We're now in Florence and I had a mediocre pizza for dinner. My husband had a better pizza in Paris earlier this week. Guess it all depends on what place you eat at.

• Love 3
(edited)

I love what's-left-in-the-fridge salads like that (or quesadillas or casseroles made the same way).

That's how I make stir-fry.  It's brown rice, onion, sometimes a protein (such as chicken) and whatever veggies I can find in the fridge or freezer. 

Tonight is Little Caesar's Hot 'n Ready Pepperoni pizza and a handful of bridge mix for dessert.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 1

@chessiegal:  I had great pizza in Carpentras and Gap, France.  Those pizzas reminded me of the wonderful pizza I grew up eating in New York (which is almost impossible to find nowadays).  So, you never know!

Dinner tonight was turkey meatloaf (or should that be turkeyloaf? no--cause that sounds gross).  I'd never had it before and liked it.  Mr. P914 didn't (he said I could have the leftovers & he'd eat other leftovers). I used part of Ina's turkey meatloaf recipe and part of Dave Lieberman's Bubbie's Meatloaf recipe.

My British family, who are now solidly upper middle class but grew up working class, refer to dinner (or supper but the evening meal either way) as tea. Just tea. High tea is a social gathering with tea, finger sandwiches, scones, jam and clotted cream.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Tonight is Little Caesar's Hot 'n Ready Pepperoni pizza and a handful of bridge mix for dessert.

Bridge mix - I remember that as a child. I loved it.  My mom actually served it (with copious amounts of sherry) at her bridge games.  Thankfully all the bridge players  lived in the neighborhood & no driving was involved after the bridge games.

• Love 1
(edited)

@Spunkygal Aww thank you thats such a lovely thing to say! I am lucky I just enjoy cooking the way someone would enjoy going to the movies! I go about my day and if my mind not occupied with other things then it's in default mode plotting recipes and meal plans.

ETA: Dinner is lobster and scallop pasta. So handy to have Costco frozen lobster tails available for a quick meal! 

Edited by Mellowyellow

Bridge mix - I remember that as a child. I loved it.

My mom used to buy bridge mix at one of our local department stores.  They had a 'serve yourself' Brach's candy counter where you would use the little silver scoops to put the candy in the little waxed paper bags (I used to beg for a little bag of Jordan almonds or some of the little nougat squares that had the colorful bits of jelly in them--I always thought they were so pretty).  The bridge mix I bought was the Nice brand from Walgreen's.  It was okay, but my favorite pieces in the bridge mix were the ones that had the vanilla, cherry or strawberry 'creme' inside.  There were some, but the bulk was mainly chocolate-covered peanuts or raisins.  

Dinner tonight is pot roast the I put in the slow cooker around lunchtime today.  I worked in the yard for an hour or so (the sound of thunder coming close drove me inside for the day) and the house smells really good and pot-roasty-oniony.  I'll just have some rice and gravy with it.  I'll have veggies or salad tomorrow! (after having a pot roast sandwich for lunch.)

• Love 1

Heat wave here, so I had a root beer float for dinner last night.  But my energy was too sapped by the heat to finish it, so there were leftovers & those turned into breakfast this morning.  Not healthy, but so good I may do the same thing tonight & tomorrow morning.

• Love 1

Spaghetti, salad and crusty bread. Enough for leftovers.

Dessert is gorgonzola, walnuts and Medjool dates.

Later tonight, after dinner I'm making Clearman's red cabbage slaw for meals. It's one of those things that tastes good fresh but gets better overthe next couple of days.

(edited)

I want to take a Winnebago eating tour of North America and stop at all of your houses!

Tonight I tried to recreate Walmart's bagged Southwest chopped salad -- it was one of my favorites and some doofus completely changed the recipe. My attempt included chopped cabbage/carrots, cilantro, fresh salsa, chicken strips and grated cheddar. Chipotle dressing. I didn't have tortilla chips but chili cheese Fritos did the trick.

It's quite the low calorie marvel.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'm having cream of cauliflower and bacon soup. MrMellow is eating yesterday's leftovers because he doesn't believe in soup for a meal unless it comes with other courses.

I've been on a vegetable cream soup kick for a couple of months -- always squash, broccoli or asparagus. Now that you mention it, I'll try cauliflower this week. I top the soup with baked cheese rounds, so yeah, it acts primarily as a crouton delivery device. Would bulky bread/bread substitutes perhaps persuade your husband to change his soup stance?

Edited by 2727

Tonight is chicken picatta with lots of capers (love those salty bites) and sautéed zucchini and of course a glass of the leftover white wine (Thanks to my bro and SIL who gave me a wine fridge as a housewarming gift). I'm debating about whether I want rice or pasta with it and might end up with neither. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, 2727 said:

I've been on a vegetable cream soup kick for a couple of months -- always squash, broccoli or asparagus. Now that you mention it, I'll try cauliflower this week. I top the soup with baked cheese rounds, so yeah, it acts primarily as a crouton delivery device. Would bulky bread/bread substitutes perhaps persuade your husband to change his soup stance?

If I add a cheese toastie he'll eat it for lunch but not dinner unless I give him spring rolls (I withhold spring rolls so he'd do just about anything for them) or a hunk of meat with it. 

• Love 1

Crab cakes here, too.  With roasted asparagus (drizzled with olive oil infused with garlic and rosemary) and a slaw made with two kinds of cabbage, carrots, celery, corn, scallions, and dill. 

• Love 1

I'm curious do you guys pick your own crabs or do you buy crabmeat?

How much is your crabmeat?

Aussie crabmeat (delicious) is $40 for 500g (about a pound). The stuff from Asia is cheaper but smells like fishy cat food! 

Dinner tonight is: Parmesan and Rosemary crumbed lamb cutlets, cabbage sautéed in butter and roast potatoes

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Aussie crabmeat (delicious) is $40 for 500g (about a pound). The stuff from Asia is cheaper but smells like fishy cat food! 

Dinner tonight is: Parmesan and Rosemary crumbed lamb cutlets, cabbage sautéed in butter and roast potatoes

We bought a one-pound can of lump crab meat, which was on sale for about $9 US.  This particular crab was from Indonesia, though packed in Florida, and was not at all cat food-like.  

While I love to eat lobster and crab, I am squeamish about the whole whacking process (yes, I am a hypocrite) and so leave the room. With the number of crabs it would take to get a pound of meat, the occasional can works for me. 

I think tonight we're hitting the local pizza joint, but for regular food.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Here, the cheapest place to get good, fresh crab meat is Costco.  It's pretty much half what you'll pay at a fishmonger ($20-ish per pound versus $40-ish).

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/16/2017 at 5:15 AM, Mellowyellow said:

According to Bon Appetit, a scone is not a biscuit:

Point being, a biscuit is not a scone. Sure, they're made up of almost the same stuff—flour, leavener, fat, dairy—but they are two altogether different things and you better not try to trick me into thinking one is the other. Let me be clear that this is in no way a hate letter to biscuits. I love biscuits. I may marry one someday. But they are different then a scone and cannot, should not, be dressed up to look like one.

Biscuits should be light—airy even—with well-defined flaky layers. Tender, yes, but sturdy enough to support or be dragged through gravy, a runny egg yolk, or a generous serving of maple syrup. A scone should not flake like a biscuit. It can have layers of course, but they should err on the side of crumbly. A scone is slightly dryer than a biscuit and yet, when done well, not dry at all. Scones are intended to be consumed with a hot beverage of your choice after all. And clotted cream, or butter, or jam. Or, hell, all three.

A scone's finer crumb welcomes an addition, be it herbs, chocolate, or a simple handful of currants. Ever try to add raisins to a biscuit? Of course you haven't because you're not a crazy person. Would you want to eat that poor burned raisin hanging off a biscuit cliff for dear life? I didn't think so.

Tonight, I think I'm having Trader Joe's shrimp potstickers.  Something light, anyway.

Edited by ennui
speeling. ;)
  • Love 6
(edited)

I had a broken crown removed today and was in the chair for over two hours. Found a bottle of chardonnay in the fridge, so that's dinner.  I love my dentist, but I SO hate him. 

Well, crap, I feel guilty. In the interest of full disclosure, I found the bottle in the grocery store's refrigerated section. Don't judge.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 11

Oh noes you poor thing @Spunkygal. But if you're on a liquid diet may as well make it a liquid you enjoy!

Dinner will be a play on beef sukiyaki but with a lighter soup and using soba instead of udon. Breaking out the wagyu beef though!

Heading to the besties house with home made tomato soup and cheese toasties (will toast when I get there). Also picked up a yuzu coconut cake for our dessert. Her premmie twins are coming home this weekend so we're going to have one last peaceful lunch before we spend the next few months bouncing babies.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Oh noes you poor thing @Spunkygal. But if you're on a liquid diet may as well make it a liquid you enjoy!

Dinner will be a play on beef sukiyaki but with a lighter soup and using soba instead of udon. Breaking out the wagyu beef though!

Heading to the besties house with home made tomato soup and cheese toasties (will toast when I get there). Also picked up a yuzu coconut cake for our dessert. Her premmie twins are coming home this weekend so we're going to have one last peaceful lunch before we spend the next few months bouncing babies.

Have you ever considered trying out for one of the cooking shows? I don't mean this personally, but you make me drool.......

13 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Have you ever considered trying out for one of the cooking shows? I don't mean this personally, but you make me drool.......

Haha no Masterchef Australia is intense and I only cook simple dinners for the family. My Kitchen Rules Au is CRAZY and generally full of nutters! I'd never get a job in the real world again! 

Dinner tomorrow will be: Bi Cuon Chay - Vegetarian summer rolls made with mushrooms, jicama, carrots, tofu and vermicelli with a soy dipping sauce. MrMellow will be eating 3 rolls as his veggie component and cracking into the frozen rice and braised pork ribs that I save for days like this when I want to eat an "out there" meal that he does not count as dinner. It is a shame he does not eat as well as the kidlet who is game for almost anything! 

• Love 1

It's hot, and I'll be having a fairly filling lunch, so I'm just going to make a simple ceviche salad for dinner -- ceviche shrimp over butter lettuce with avocado and scallions, and a little extra cilantro (lots of cilantro in the ceviche marinade).

• Love 3

I made Avocado Caprese Skillet Chicken using two thin chicken breasts (the last from Trader Joe's bag of froz chicken breasts).  Mr. P914 told me it was good--twice!  And it was.  The only thing I didn't do was drizzle a balsamic glaze over it - doesn't need it.

I use canned lump crabmeat when I make crab salad or crab cakes and I usually wait until they're on sale and make them right away.  Crab cakes are hard to make though (keeping them together - they fall apart on me as I'm getting them in the skillet or flipping them over).

• Love 1