Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I've no clue. I had a petite four and strawberries for breakfast. Green beans and chicken for lunch. Crackers and cheese for snack. I need to go to the club I belong to in order to fulfill my monthly minimum requirement, but I don't know if I feel like it. Guess I should anyway...ok. I convinced myself. I'll get something to go and bring it back. Salmon maybe.

Last night I had boneless chicken thigh cutlets crusted with Panko breadcrumbs and sauted, with a side of salad and a small amount of pasta with chives.   

Tonight I'm making a soup of spinach, chick peas and pasta (it's going to be chilly here in Connecticut today again, spring weather hasn't quite arrived permanently yet), 

Baked salmon and home-made tartar sauce. The sauce is both good and easy: 3 parts mayo, 1 part garlic powder, 1 part capers.

I've never put garlic powder in tartar sauce - sounds yummy, will give it a try.  I usually use a combination of chopped gherkins and capers, plus the mayo.

Using the leftover pork tenderloin to make fried rice.  We're particular about our cooked veggies, so this will have green onions, some asparagus diced (because I found a batch of super skinny ones at the market today), and grated carrots (on the largish side so almost like matchstick carrots).

• Love 2

Trying a new Paleo recipe tonight...Cauliflower fried "rice" with chicken. Basically a boatload of stir fried veggies plus chicken, bacon and egg with fresh ginger and soy sauce mixed into cauliflower "rice." Sounds really good to me, can't wait.

• Love 2

I made some asparagus soup with lemon and parmesan Saturday while it was raining, and even though it was in the 80s today, I'll have some with dinner tonight, along with a piece of salmon.  The soup was a new recipe for me, which caught my eye for not using cream, and it was a tasty twist on my typical asparagus soup.

Tomorrow I'm taking the day off; I have a delivery for which I need to be here in the morning (they gave me a one-hour window, but we know how that can go) and a 1:00 dental appointment, so I'm just going to work from home until then and go over to my parents' house afterward to do some more cooking.  I have some surprisingly tasty tomatillos for this early in the year, so I'm going to make chicken enchiladas with a green, sour cream-based sauce (just tomatillos, cilantro and jalapeños in the food processor, then stirred into sour cream). I'll get it to the "ready to go in the oven" stage and stick it in the fridge, since I won't be staying until dinner.

I'm also going to make a casserole with rigatoni, Italian sausage, cremini mushrooms and fontina cheese that is designed to be assembled a day in advance.  That way my dad can just pop it in the oven tomorrow night.

I love both dishes, so when I go to my parents' house again Thursday to take my mom to her physical therapy appointment, I'll be taking some of the leftovers home with me!

Oh, and my dad is going to change my oil for me while I'm there tomorrow.  I mentioned that I didn't get around to doing it this weekend (because I wound up having to fix my floor jack, and by the time I was done with that I no longer had time to get the oil changed before I had to leave for dinner), so he said he'd trade an oil change for food.  :-)

• Love 3

Bastet those chicken enchiladas sound great.   I make chicken enchiladas frequently, using various recipes depending on what ingredients I have and how much time I want to spend cooking. 

Last night I made tilapia po'boys (the recipe called for catfish, but tilapia was on sale).  I just cut up tilapia into strips, dip into milk and then shake in a bag with seasoned corn meal, and saute in canola oil.   The fish goes onto a grinder (hero, hoagie, sub) roll, and gets topped with broccoli slaw, sliced tomatoes and avocado. 

• Love 1

The fish goes onto a grinder (hero, hoagie, sub) roll

While I do know grinder is a synonym for sub, it's not my first association, and thus until I got to your parenthetical I read that as, "The fish goes into a grinder," and I was most perplexed why you'd stick the fish in a meat grinder after all that.  I don't function well early in the morning.

I've only heard "grinder" for a sub sandwich used in New England.  When I was a young kid, I lived outside of Phladelphia, and we called them hoagies.   As a teenager, we moved to Long Island, and they were called heroes.   When I moved to Connecticut it took me a while to get used to calling them grinders, but since that's what everyone around me calls it, that's what I call it now. 

• Love 1

Tonight I finally get to eat the chicken enchiladas I made for my parents on Tuesday.  They called that night to say they came out great, so I'm looking forward to it. 

Between now and then, I need to figure out what I’m making for sides; something simple, as I’m feeling lazy.  (And I don’t like rice and beans, so the obvious is out.)  I have tortilla chips, so maybe I’ll make some guacamole – and a margarita – to snack on when I get home, and then just roast some broccoli or something to go with the enchiladas.

I've been working in the yard all day and just came into the house all tired and filthy, so right now it's hard to think about what to fix for dinner.  However, once I get cleaned up and rest a little I'll get hungry.  Earlier in the day, I planned to oven BBQ a pork chop and have a green salad.  I'll probably also make some brown rice and mix it with lots of nice caramelized onions and a splash of stir fry sauce.  It sounds weird and looks like the dog's dinner, but it tastes good and is very filling.

• Love 2

I decided to just go with the brown rice and caramelized onion mixture (aka the 'dog's dinner).  I'm too tired to fix anything else.  I'll plan ahead tomorrow and over-BBQ some chicken for dinner.

• Love 1

I decided to just go with the brown rice and caramelized onion mixture (aka the 'dog's dinner).  I'm too tired to fix anything else.  I'll plan ahead tomorrow and over-BBQ some chicken for dinner.

Throw in some lentils and you have mujadra, one of my favorite dishes.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I really enjoy tomato sides- either a cold salad or roasted tomatoes

Me too, but tomatoes are something I only enjoy fresh from the garden (mine or someone else's) and the crops aren't in yet.  (In fact, I haven't even planted mine yet; I'm falling behind this year.) 

I have no idea yet for tonight's dinner; I, too, have been working in the yard most of the day and thus don't feel like cooking.

But I have pork spare ribs marinating for tomorrow's dinner (at my parents' house); I'll do them on the rotisserie.  Macaroni salad and roasted Brussels sprouts as sides.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I made one pot spaghetti with spinach and tomatoes last night, with chicken thighs on the side.  Tonight, in celebration of the warm weather, I'm grilling steak and zucchini, and serve them along with baked potatoes. 

Veggie dog, baked potato, tomatoes, and a banana. I guess that's fairly healthy. I blew up while at Disney. I had 3 strangers ask when I'm due. My maternity pants I bought that 2 weeks ago were falling down...not anymore! Yikes.

• Love 1

Probably too much sodium so you've got some water retention going on. It's super challenging to watch your sodium intake when you are traveling and have to eat out or on the go all the time.

Tonight I caved & made Corn Dip for my kiddos. It's not exactly a healthy dinner by itself, but they both have an extremely stressful day in store tomorrow so I decided it was okay. I tried to find a recipe to link to but every one is different & none are like mine. White shoepeg corn, sour cream, mayo, shredded cheddar cheese, diced pimentos, chopped cilantro & tabasco. It sounds odd but it's strangely addictive. They'd eat it with a spoon if I let them, but usually use corn chips or carrots.

It sounds odd but it's strangely addictive. They'd eat it with a spoon if I let them, but usually use corn chips or carrots.

The chip or carrot is clearly just a delivery mechanism to make Mom feel better.

I've never heard of it and it does sound odd, but compelling!

(edited)

The chip or carrot is clearly just a delivery mechanism to make Mom feel better.

I've never heard of it and it does sound odd, but compelling!

Ha! You're probably right. If they use carrots I can pretend it's healthy. I had it as a dip at a party the first time I had it so I suppose I'm attached to that idea. I know, from reading recipes, that some people substitute parsley for cilantro &/or jalapeño for pimento. I like to add a little extra tabasco & it's even better after it sits a day.

I must've been posting as you were forumfish. :) I've never added the corn in a particular order, but then again it usually disappears so quickly I don't know if the corn is squished or not.

Edited by ramble

Green Giant makes Mexicorn.  Check in the caned veggie aisle in the corn section.  (I used to buy that all the time.  I might have to get a can soon for old-times sake!)

(edited)

I’d heard of a dish called “Mexicorn salad,” but not the canned product.  I just looked up the Green Giant offering – it’s corn with red and green peppers (plus sugar and salt).  The salad I saw referred to by that name had beans in it, so I didn't eat it.  But corn and peppers is a classic mix.

Edited by Bastet
(edited)

For some reason, today I have been eating like I have a tapeworm.  For dinner I had the last of the sausage, cremini, and rigatoni casserole I made for my parents last week, plus a side salad.  This was after having a large helping of leftover macaroni salad and spare ribs for lunch.  And I'm still hungry!  (I fell asleep last night to Julie & Julia, so maybe that's why I woke up hungry, but that doesn't explain the day-long ravenous appetite.)  Tomorrow night I'm roasting a chicken, so hopefully I'm not still in the mood to eat half of it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Last night I made Shrimp and Pasta Arrrabiata, which is a spicy tomato sauce.   Came out pretty good I think.  Tonight I'm working late so I'm thawing out pulled chicken sandwich meat I made a few weeks ago.   This is the last night I have to work late before I lose my job on May 15. I'm not happy about being laid off, but on the plus side, I'll have more time to cook all sorts of interesting meals.  

• Love 1

Last night I made Shrimp and Pasta Arrrabiata, which is a spicy tomato sauce.   Came out pretty good I think.  Tonight I'm working late so I'm thawing out pulled chicken sandwich meat I made a few weeks ago.   This is the last night I have to work late before I lose my job on May 15. I'm not happy about being laid off, but on the plus side, I'll have more time to cook all sorts of interesting meals.  

Sorry to hear about the loss of the job, but I know myself and other posters really enjoy your What's for Dinner posts. :)

• Love 2

Nachos tonight for the kids.  It is 5/5, and as far as they know, nachos is a reasonable thing to have today.

We have just enough leftover meat from tacos over the weekend for me to sprinkle it over some corn chips.  I'll whip up some cheese sauce and either blend in the salsa with it, or deliver the salsa over the meat and the cheese sauce over the salsa. That will be a nacho-time decision.

I'm going to make them eat a salad or some fruit before I give them the nachos though, which is my equivalent of making them use a carrot to scoop up the awesome sounding corn dip.

• Love 2

Athena and forumfish, thanks for the condolences. I work as a medical transcriptionist and my hospital merged with another, much bigger hospital.  They outsource all their transcription, so it was decided that we would be outsouced too.    I am getting severance pay, plus vacation pay, and eventually unemployment.    Right now the plan is for me to help set up my husband's art business. (he is a book cover illustrator, but sells paintings and prints on the side, we want to sell more).  

Working from home will give me enough flexibility to do more cooking (and post about it).   I don't think I'd want to do it as a career though, I like just cooking for myself and my husband (and occasoinally for  friends). 

• Love 3

ALenore, I'm sorry about your impending job loss.  On the other hand, if it means more time to play with your food, yay, sort of.  I don't know if blogs generate any income, but you write so well and make such interesting meals -- well, I'd read your blog.  (I'm getting canned at the end of the month, but my plans are nowhere near as concrete or interesting as yours.)

Tonight was fish tacos - mahi mahi, but we weren't that hungry so we only had the one mahi.  (It's a joke that gets old fast, but I couldn't resist.)  Instead of guac, I made a mango and avocado salad thing with a balsamic vinegar dressing.  It was kind of ugly but the flavors worked together quite nicely.  

• Love 4

ALenore and harrie, I'm awfully sorry to hear about your work. I sincerely hope things get back on a good path asap.

I was so worn out today, I just went to Chic fil a. I know. I know. Please don't hate me. I ate a sandwich, fries, and tried the frozen lemonade another poster mentioned (I think on the fast food board). That drink was the best thing I've had in a long time. Finished it before I got home. I'd just had a protein bar and two veggie dogs earlier, so I was very hungry.

Well to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, I made some delicious guacamole which consisted of six mashed avocados, lemon juice, chili powder and garlic salt.  Had this first with some chips and then as a topping for fajita tacos.  Steak cooked with peppers and oniosns.  Also had cotjia cheese and salsa.  But instead of a margarita I had a hard cider to go with my dinner.

• Love 2

I'm have Gnocchi with Turkey Ragu. I chose the recipe partly because it uses up an extra bag of gnocchi that I bought on sale, and 8 ounces of ground turkey that I had leftover from a 1 1/2 pound package. \

I've been going through my freezer looking for stuff I forgot about, I want to use it while it's still edible.   Sunday I found a porterhouse steak I froze 8/31/14.   It was triple wrapped and didn't look freezer burned at all.   I grilled it and it tasted fine.  

I've been going through my freezer looking for stuff I forgot about, I want to use it while it's still edible.   Sunday I found a porterhouse steak I froze 8/31/14.   It was triple wrapped and didn't look freezer burned at all.   I grilled it and it tasted fine.  

Nice. Just last night I was trying to shove something in the freezer when my very astute 3rd grader pointed out that we had a lot of food in there. I told her that she was right, and that instead of buying more stuff, maybe we should go through it and cook some of the stuff in there.  Who knows what will come from that, but it will probably get me out and grilling all sorts of things.

• Love 1

Nice. Just last night I was trying to shove something in the freezer when my very astute 3rd grader pointed out that we had a lot of food in there. I told her that she was right, and that instead of buying more stuff, maybe we should go through it and cook some of the stuff in there.  Who knows what will come from that, but it will probably get me out and grilling all sorts of things.

My husband and I are in the middle of our "Pantry & Freezer Challenge" (it sounds more fun when you give it a name), which is when we try to only buy fresh items at the grocery while we clean out all the random stuff in our freezer and pantry. Tonight it's shredded beef sandwiches from a roast a few months ago. Any suggestions for what to do with a container of turkey gravy from Thanksgiving?

• Love 1

Any suggestions for what to do with a container of turkey gravy from Thanksgiving?

Quick pot pie?

Frozen puff pastry sheet on the bottom of a pie plate. Cook up some onion and a garlic in a little oil. Then toss in diced cooked chicken or turkey, peas, carrots, and that gravy.  Heat it up, pour into the pie plate. Cover with more pastry and bake it.

• Love 1

Any suggestions for what to do with a container of turkey gravy from Thanksgiving?

Use in a homemade potpie?  I'm not picky, so chicken or turkey would be interchangeable.  Or thinned down as a soup base.  Or in a Shepard's Pie (might work with ground turkey).  If you can section some out, throw it in when making rice.

• Love 1

So sorry about your job loss.

ALenore, I'm sorry about your impending job loss.  On the other hand, if it means more time to play with your food, yay, sort of.  I don't know if blogs generate any income, but you write so well and make such interesting meals -- well, I'd read your blog.  (I'm getting canned at the end of the month, but my plans are nowhere near as concrete or interesting as yours.)

Tonight was fish tacos - mahi mahi, but we weren't that hungry so we only had the one mahi.  (It's a joke that gets old fast, but I couldn't resist.)  Instead of guac, I made a mango and avocado salad thing with a balsamic vinegar dressing.  It was kind of ugly but the flavors worked together quite nicely.  

I am so sorry about your job loss at the end of month.

(edited)

Well to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, I made some delicious guacamole which consisted of six mashed avocados, lemon juice, chili powder and garlic salt.  Had this first with some chips and then as a topping for fajita tacos.  Steak cooked with peppers and oniosns.  Also had cotjia cheese and salsa.  But instead of a margarita I had a hard cider to go with my dinner.

For Cinco de Mayo yesterday, I made the rest of an instant rice pilaf I had (it had pinto beans and spices, so it was kind of like Mexican style rice) and served it with a fajita filling like dish made with bell peppers, turkey breasts, onions, pico de gallo and various other spices.  Also bought some guacamole and chips (my husband loves chips.  I just find them okay).  Tonight, I'm just going to be simple and cook ground beef, onions and vegetables.  Probably serving it with cauliflower "rice."

Edited by PRgal