Type keyword(s) to search

All Rise - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I mean, don't lots of people fail the bar the first time?

California has one of the highest bar failure rates in the country. I've even seen a documentary following students trying to pass. I think something like less than a third of people pass the exam.

I found this episode to be pretty boring. They're trying to do too much; they're branching out with storylines that I don't find interesting: the election crap; Emily's occupation; Luke's friendship with the bailiff; the other law office; Sara's new occupation, which I don't quite understand.  I don't care for Nessa's brash character at all but I did like that she failed the bar (as do most people).

Close to quitting this show. I've dropped around four network shows already; I couldn't even bring myself to watch the recorded series finale of one of those shows. I think I'm aging out of television. I have less and less tolerance for the dumbed-down, cheesy shows.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I prefer Lola with curls.

Nothing about Emily and Luke makes sense. She sold her house? Why? She could afford to buy in LA on a public defender’s salary? How?

I've been wondering about those economic things since Jon and Ponch's beach condos on CHiPs

• Wink 1
  • LOL 3
12 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Nothing about Emily and Luke makes sense. She sold her house? Why? She could afford to buy in LA on a public defender’s salary? How?

And WHEN did she buy a house? She had originally been living with her brother, than she and Sarah were roommates. I guess she lived by herself for awhile after that, but she couldn't have owned it for more than a year. Who sells a house after less than a year?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

And WHEN did she buy a house? She had originally been living with her brother, than she and Sarah were roommates. I guess she lived by herself for awhile after that, but she couldn't have owned it for more than a year. Who sells a house after less than a year?

Right- I remember a couple of episodes where she was in her own place, and I remember that she stayed with her brother during COVID, so I guess she went from her brother’s place to that place, and is now back at her brother’s. Her brother must be sick of her revolving door in and out of his house.

14 hours ago, Jillybean said:

The OWN version of this show is pretty soapy and im struggling to be interested. This may go the way of New Amsterdam for me.

Yep, me, too...on both shows. Couldn't even bring myself to watch she season finale of NA. 

It seems that they're trying to be more of an ensemble cast series. Trouble is, no one's story is interesting beyond their workplace. For me, the only scenes of interest were between Sherry and Lola and Lola and Mark. 

• Love 1

This is a minor complaint, but in the scene where Lola and her husband were just waking up and the baby toddled into their room: Lola was going to be off for a long day of work and I expected her to say good morning sweetheart or give her a quick cuddle but she never glanced at the baby. She did kiss the baby’s head on the way out but I can’t imagine her just ignoring the baby since she likely won’t be home until she’s in bed. I also  don’t like Lola and Sheri at odds.

I have had just about enough of Lola groveling for Sherri's forgiveness. Sherri made a mistake, and she needed to own up to that. Whatever "look" Lola gave her when the 500k bombshell was dropped was just that- a surprise to both of them. Lola did nothing wrong. Doggone it, if Sherri's determined to be mad about that after the trouble she caused (inadvertently, but still), then she should go.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

I agree that Sherri really needs to get over herself at this point. Especially since Lola has apologized multiple times and explained what the look on her face really meant.

I think this was the best episode of the season so far. Surprised that it's TBC. Actually looking forward to how it plays out. 

• Love 6

I hope there's another twist and Luke ends up losing.  I feel like this show can't get out of its way when it writes the low income/public defender side of the show.  It's almost like they never lose which would be one thing if this were mean to be a show that focused on one side but it's supposed to be about all sides of the system.  Therefore, when the prosecution stars and defense stars go head-to-head, I think it should be more even or, if they wanted to be more realistic, have the results slant towards the prosecution.  Instead, I feel like Mark is doomed going up against the "underdog" Luke.

I hope we've seen the end of Emily's client.  So many "it's not my fault" moments in two episodes and the actress is terrible. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 6/30/2022 at 7:49 PM, Irlandesa said:

I hope there's another twist and Luke ends up losing.  I feel like this show can't get out of its way when it writes the low income/public defender side of the show.  It's almost like they never lose which would be one thing if this were mean to be a show that focused on one side but it's supposed to be about all sides of the system.  Therefore, when the prosecution stars and defense stars go head-to-head, I think it should be more even or, if they wanted to be more realistic, have the results slant towards the prosecution.  Instead, I feel like Mark is doomed going up against the "underdog" Luke.

I hope we've seen the end of Emily's client.  So many "it's not my fault" moments in two episodes and the actress is terrible. 

So that didn't happen, although I too was hoping Luke would lose. It seems we haven't seen the last of this character. Could be that Luke realizes he helped a murderer walk. Maybe he'll help Mark take him down. 

Interesting seeing Lola's reaction to her former BF. Love her friendship with Mark and him immediately figuring out what was going on with her and "Mr. Mighty, Mighty".

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, jah1986 said:

Love her friendship with Mark and him immediately figuring out what was going on with her and "Mr. Mighty, Mighty".

That was hilarious.  I loved that moment too.

29 minutes ago, jah1986 said:

It seems we haven't seen the last of this character. Could be that Luke realizes he helped a murderer walk. Maybe he'll help Mark take him down. 

I hope we see more of him.  I think Luke is going to struggle knowing he let a murderer walk but he can't help "bring him down" unless he is aware of a future crime his client will commit. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, jah1986 said:

So that didn't happen, although I too was hoping Luke would lose. It seems we haven't seen the last of this character. Could be that Luke realizes he helped a murderer walk. Maybe he'll help Mark take him down. 

Interesting seeing Lola's reaction to her former BF. Love her friendship with Mark and him immediately figuring out what was going on with her and "Mr. Mighty, Mighty".

I think Luke already suspects as much. He was so focused on winning, that I think he's just beginning to realize what he's done.

Same here with Lola and Mark's relationship. It's been my favorite thing about the show since it's beginning, and that scene was laugh out loud funny ( no, seriously, I actually laughed out loud and rewound/rewatched it a couple of times!)

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, TVForever said:

I think Luke already suspects as much.

It was the quote that gave it away for him.  The son mentioned his mom's favorite quote while holding her picture.  Then his client said it. I think he thought he was innocent until then.

I do have to side eye Lola.  She was talking about how the woman's murderer was still out there but she can't be that naive.  A "not guilty" does not mean the man was innocent. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, TVForever said:

Same here with Lola and Mark's relationship. It's been my favorite thing about the show since it's beginning, and that scene was laugh out loud funny ( no, seriously, I actually laughed out loud and rewound/rewatched it a couple of times!)

I love their friendship too. I always think about a scene where Lola was pregnant and having Braxton-Hicks contractions and Mark came running down the hall with a baby carrier yelling “I’m coming, Lola!” It was really funny but also showed how much he cares about her. “Mr. Mighty Mighty.”

I can see why the jury would have found Elvin not guilty. There was reasonable doubt. But he did it, and Luke knows it now. And I think at the core, Luke is decent. It’ll weigh on him.

• Love 5

Elvin will be back. I can’t help but think he needs another day in court to be found guilty of something.  The show is getting better in the last few episodes but I still can’t get used to the new Robin.  He is such a soap actor. His inflections and pauses are all soap style. Someone needs to get him into acting for television classes. 

Sherri needs to get over herself.  Overall the writing on the new network is a bit out there.  They don’t have it down yet.  All Rise has its own charm and they are losing it, but the stories are a little better.  

• Love 3
On 6/29/2022 at 9:17 AM, TVForever said:

I have had just about enough of Lola groveling for Sherri's forgiveness. Sherri made a mistake, and she needed to own up to that. Whatever "look" Lola gave her when the 500k bombshell was dropped was just that- a surprise to both of them. Lola did nothing wrong. Doggone it, if Sherri's determined to be mad about that after the trouble she caused (inadvertently, but still), then she should go.

So much this. 

On 6/23/2022 at 8:58 AM, Empress1 said:

I liked Lola’s bald husband better. Who is this El DeBarge looking dude?

I like Luke, but he needs to stop pining over Emily. 

• Love 2

I was wondering how they were going to get Emily and Luke to live together and here it is. She gave her deposit check to the wrongly convicted man so next week she'll be moving in with Luke. I'm just over this couple.

It's sad that Lola has WAY more chemistry with Andre than with Robin. It's the actors. This replacement actor has no presence. He just pulls me out of every scene. Now if they had recast Robin with the actor portraying Andre it would be a different story.

Didn't see the will storyline playing out the way it did. So horrible the treatment of the grandmother.

And yes, I got teary-eyed when the falsely accused prisoner was finally released.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, jah1986 said:

It's sad that Lola has WAY more chemistry with Andre than with Robin. It's the actors. This replacement actor has no presence. He just pulls me out of every scene. Now if they had recast Robin with the actor portraying Andre it would be a different story.

There is absolutely no there there with the replacing actor, for me. Not in terms of his acting ability and not in terms of his chemistry with Lola.

1 hour ago, jah1986 said:

I'm just over this couple.

I don’t understand why they broke up in the first place. I guess so they could have a will they/won’t they storyline.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, jah1986 said:

And yes, I got teary-eyed when the falsely accused prisoner was finally released.

Re: the woman who didn’t help him, I kept thinking that if I were married and I found my husband let someone innocent rot in prison for two decades to cover up an affair, THAT is why I’d divorce him, not over the affair. I could forgive an affair; I wouldn’t want to be married to someone who’d intentionally cause someone that much suffering to cover her ass. (I once heard someone say “you are not the kind of person I want to love me,” and that’s up there in the top five most hurtful things I can imagine.) And if I were the just - released person (or the daughter of same) I might blow up her spot, but I’m probably pettier than he was. He just wanted to feel the ocean and hug his grandkids. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

The recast husband is terrible, but Andre is also plainly at LEAST a decade older than Lola! I thought maybe I was tripping or something so I looked up the actor and, yep, he's 14 years older than Missick, so...huh? I mean, I know people go to law school at different stages in life, but that sure isn't how they're portraying it on the show, right? They're pretty clearly supposed to be peers despite him clearly being a lot older. Very odd.

• Useful 2
On 7/14/2022 at 9:55 AM, jah1986 said:

I was wondering how they were going to get Emily and Luke to live together and here it is. She gave her deposit check to the wrongly convicted man so next week she'll be moving in with Luke. I'm just over this couple.

I keep expecting Sara to kick out the magician so she and Emily can be roomies again. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
On 6/16/2022 at 8:47 AM, mojito said:

California has one of the highest bar failure rates in the country. I've even seen a documentary following students trying to pass. I think something like less than a third of people pass the exam.

That statistic isn't really accurate because California is a state with a lot of unaccredited law schools and those schools have a very high failure rate - some are over 90% fail and so they warp the statistics.

The reality is that the pass rate for people who went to accredited law schools is the same as other jurisdictions with maybe very slight statistical differences. 

I don't know anyone who didn't pass the Bar on their first attempt provided they took it seriously and actually studied and took a Bar Review course.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Wow. Oprah's allowed to let the F-bombs loose in the 8:00pm hour. I hated this episode. This new version of All Rise is like watching a completely different show with the same characters. And no, I don't mean Lola's very weird dream. 

I don't get the appeal of "Dre" either. I liked when Lola was a badass judge. Now she's simply the main character in a primetime soap.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I don't get the appeal of "Dre" either. I liked when Lola was a badass judge. Now she's simply the main character in a primetime soap.

I guess I could deal with it if the show presented Andre as someone Lola is obviously better off without and she's just mixed up with her past feelings about him when she was younger and thus, can't see him for what he truly is, but they really seem to be going with "Andre is a total catch!" when...HOW? I mean, the guy's good-looking, but that's about it. He's a lot older than her AND he's a jerk. It's so weird. It reminds me of how Amy used to act in Season 1 when the show also thought we would love her, but she just acted like a jerk all of the time (then they overcorrected and made her just this bland, pointless character that she is now). 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Also, the obvious solution to the question of whether Lola should accept the conference invitation was to leave the baby with her parents and take Robin along to the Four Seasons for some much-needed alone time.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Also, the obvious solution to the question of whether Lola should accept the conference invitation was to leave the baby with her parents and take Robin along to the Four Seasons for some much-needed alone time.

Yes, although I think he said he was working at that time.

I overall have enjoyed the season as it gives me my legal show fix but I absolutely hated this episode.  I'm sure it was fun for the actors to film but it told us absolutely nothing about the characters.  It didn't move the plot along.  And Luke and Emily were still annoying in their alternate versions. 

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Andre kind of seems like a jerk to me. I don't get why Lola is so infatuated with him. 

I get it. He's got plenty of Big D Energy, lol!

1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

Wow. Oprah's allowed to let the F-bombs loose in the 8:00pm hour. I hated this episode. This new version of All Rise is like watching a completely different show with the same characters. And no, I don't mean Lola's very weird dream. 

Yeah, those f-bombs got my attention too. And this is after Mark and his "Holy S**t!!!" a few weeks ago.

44 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Right?!?!  This didn't even seem hard. Instead, Show decided to make this some "existential crisis", leading to the weirdest episode this show has ever produced. 

The only ( and I mean the ONLY) good thing to come out of this ep for me was the revelation of Lindsey Mendez' ( Sara) singing! Wow!! So of course, I had to go look her up and discovered that she too comes from a musical theater/ Broadway background.

How did this show manage to get so many "Broadway babies " on its roster?

Edited by TVForever
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TVForever said:

How did this show manage to get so many "Broadway babies " on its roster?

One of the sort of sad, but good for us viewers, things is that there are SO many talented musical theater actors out there who are desperate to even be, like, seventh on the call sheet of a TV drama, so I think you'd be surprised by just how many of them are out there on the casts of shows like All Rise (even more so in shows that film in New York, of course).

• Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, TVForever said:

The only ( and I mean the ONLY) good thing to come out of this ep for me was the revelation of Lindsey Mendez' ( Sara) singing! Wow!! So of course, I had to go look her up and discovered that she too comes from a musical theater/ Broadway background.

Thank you for that, I was wondering. It looked to me like she was clearly lip synching, but I know they usually record the music separate from taping a show. And I also agree, it was the only good thing about this episode. It seems like everyone was kind of a jerk.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TVForever said:

I’ve been waiting for her to sing! I knew about her background and there was another episode with singing and she didn’t sing and I was mad about it.

6 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Wow. Oprah's allowed to let the F-bombs loose in the 8:00pm hour. 

I was shocked! I’ve heard a couple of “shits” on OWN but I’ve never heard a “fuck.”

Emily’s wig was terrible - it looked cheap and cut and color were both awful. Lola’s phony pony was obvious too.

• Like 1
On 7/27/2022 at 3:07 PM, Empress1 said:

I’ve been waiting for her to sing! I knew about her background and there was another episode with singing and she didn’t sing and I was mad about it.

I was shocked! I’ve heard a couple of “shits” on OWN but I’ve never heard a “fuck.”

Emily’s wig was terrible - it looked cheap and cut and color were both awful. Lola’s phony pony was obvious too.

This show did a "fuck" a couple weeks ago too. I think they found out they were allowed and suddenly started throwing them in whenever they could. It's annoying when shows do that just for shock value. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 7/28/2022 at 10:23 PM, KaveDweller said:

This show did a "fuck" a couple weeks ago too. I think they found out they were allowed and suddenly started throwing them in whenever they could. It's annoying when shows do that just for shock value. 

There was another “fuck” last night!

I’m so tired of Amy and her estranged husband. The whole situation is ridiculous.

• Love 3

Oooo, Robin was just wrong, wrong, wrong in this episode!

Personally: If you're the baby's main caretaker, then you're it. If he got called into work unavoidably (whe did he go back to the FBI, btw?) and the babysitter couldn't make it, there are at least 2 grandparents in town ( I'm assuming Lola's mother is around, even though we haven't seen her in awhile). Either way, you don't just show up at the other parent's workplace without calling, baby in tow. What in the world?! What if she had already been in court? Now you're forcing her staff (who are not there to babysit your adorable baby) to pick up the slack. Not cool, Robin!

Professionally: If you show up in a judge's chambers uninvited, then you're there as a husband, not as a law enforcement colleague. He had no business taking professional info he overheard and using it for his own purposes. Lola was right; he compromised both Mark and her by doing that. Again, not cool!!

Btw, was there a resolution to the storyline where Vanessa lied about passing the bar? Is that still a secret? Wouldn't her employer know that by now? Was she supposed to be negotiating that case from a couple of eps ago? Did I miss something? 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 8/3/2022 at 11:01 AM, TVForever said:

Btw, was there a resolution to the storyline where Vanessa lied about passing the bar? Is that still a secret? Wouldn't her employer know that by now? Was she supposed to be negotiating that case from a couple of eps ago? Did I miss something? 

I don't think she ever lied about passing the bar, they just threw her a party before she got her results. There was a line in the next episode where Amy talked about how she was embarrassed about not passing.

I'm not sure how she was handling that will case, but maybe it counts as paralegal work?

On 8/3/2022 at 11:01 AM, TVForever said:

Oooo, Robin was just wrong, wrong, wrong in this episode!

He was, but I think Lola may have let personal feelings about that impact her ruling. Seems like she should have recused herself or something.

But it annoys me that they are having Robin act like an asshole because they want to give Lola personal drama and create a love triangle. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 3

Man, lots of crazy stuff in this (Aug 9) episode. I hope the defendant who set his followers to riot in the courthouse and have a guy try to murder a witness goes away for a long, long time in Federal prison. Callan and the feds were certainly cooperating at the end. Hopefully all the injured good guys don’t die, but that ADA guy didn’t look good. I hope Lola’s marriage didn’t just get torpedoed

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

How stupid is Emily? The guard tells her don't open the door for anyone and the first time someone knocks she opens the door? I know they said they were there to help, but did she expect the criminals to announce they were there to kill the girl? Get a name before opening the door in the middle of a riot. Idiot. 

Also, why would this guy's followers risk storming the court house for him?

I can't believe with all the drama and multiple lives in danger, they end on love triangle drama. I hope Ness and Teddy are okay....it is a good cliffhanger because I like them both, but the characters are minor enough that I could believe the show might actually kill them off.

Although I don't get the point of having Ness fail the bar just to have her keep her job and pass it a few episodes later?

• Love 6