Type keyword(s) to search

Venom:Let There Be Carnage (2021)

• Start Topic

Agree carnage looks terrible - the first venom wasn’t as bad as the trailer was so maybe the sequel will be the same. Also did Tony Hardy drop the accent he did in the first movie? I just think he’s so miscast in this role. 

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 1

New release date is Oct. 15...

'Venom: Let There Be Carnage’ Has Been Delayed Again
By Rebecca Rubin   August 12, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/venom-let-there-be-carnage-release-date-change-1235037720/ 

Despite Hollywood’s best efforts, the delta variant of COVID-19 has started to upend the movie theater industry’s recent gains. Given the rocky film landscape, Sony Pictures has announced plans to delay the theatrical release of “Venom: Let There Be Carnage,” the studio’s upcoming comic book adventure, starring Tom Hardy as the eponymous alien symbiote.

The “Venom” sequel, which has been delayed several times amid the pandemic, was set to open on Sept. 24 in the U.S. and will now premiere on Oct. 15.

Edited by tv echo

New, new release date is Oct. 1...

'Venom: Let There Be Carnage’ Heads To First Weekend Of October After Super ‘Shang-Chi’ Labor Day Stretch
By Anthony D'Alessandro   September 6, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/09/venom-let-there-be-carnage-release-date-change-october-1234827831/ 

It was the worst kept secret in Hollywood that Sony was bound to vacate Venom: Let There Be Carnage from its Oct. 15 release date, but after the enormous $90M Labor Day weekend success of Disney/Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, the Culver City lot has decided to go earlier with their own Marvel sequel on Oct. 1.

Venom: Let There be Carnage will screen in 3D, PLF and take over all the Imax screens. Tickets go on sale Wednesday.

This returns Venom to its early October stomping ground, the first movie in 2018 setting an opening domestic record for the month with $80.2M before Warner Bros’ Joker pushed the Marvel pic to No. 2 for October a year later with $96.2M. I’ve heard that tracking among males is really hot for Venom 2, and Sony has every reason in the world to keep it in 2021 versus pushing the Andy Serkis-directed pic to January 22 (which was the rumor).

Had Venom 2 remained on Oct. 15, it would have been in a fierce franchise fight with Universal/Blumhouse/Miramax’s Halloween Kills. That movie’s first pic back in 2018 posted the second best domestic debut in October at the time after Venom with $76.2M; Halloween now ranking third overall among domestic openings at the October B.O.

Edited by tv echo

I didn't quote anything because I don't want to spoil the credits scene...

The ‘Venom 2’ Post-Credits Scene Will Change Marvel Movies Forever
Matt Singer     September 30, 2021
Screencrush link 

Venom: Let There Be Carnage Credits Scene Sets Up Major Marvel Crossover
By CAMERON BONOMOLO - September 30, 2021
Comicbook link

Venom: Let There Be Carnage's Mid-Credits Scene Changes the Superhero Game as We Know It
By Brady Langmann   Oct 1, 2021
Esquire link 

Edited by tv echo

I must say this is loads better than the first one, which sounds like feint praise, but I can honestly said this one had great moments, where the first one I had to try to find something positive in it. 

My one issue is that Naomie Harris was wasted.  For a role like this they could have used an up-and-comer/non-name. I'm glad NO TIME TO DIE is out next week so I can hopefully see her have something more substantive to do.

• Love 4

Andy Serkis on ‘Venom: Let There Be Carnage’ and That Mid-Credits Scene
BY BRIAN DAVIDS   OCTOBER 1, 2021
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/venom-let-there-be-carnage-mid-credits-scene-andy-serkis-1235024005/ 

Spoiler

Let There Be Carnage‘s mid-credits scene happens to be one of the genre’s most significant credit scenes to date since it puts Tom Holland’s Spider-Man/Peter Parker and Hardy’s Eddie Brock/Venom on a collision course. Could Hardy’s characters make an appearance in December’s Spider-Man: No Way Home? That question remains to be seen, but Serkis acknowledges that the situation was quite fluid until the last minute. In fact, Spider-Man was once a part of Venom 2‘s story until he wasn’t.

“[The mid-credits scene was] 100 percent in flux, yeah. It couldn’t have been more in flux-y if you tried,” Serkis reveals. “Yeah, of course, it was something that they talked about from before I even came on to the movie. There were moments where he [Spider-Man] was going to be in the story, potentially, and then he wasn’t. But no, we decided that we wanted to really examine the Venom-verse first. So as we were going through principal photography, the inevitable discussions had to be had, but it wasn’t until very, very late on that we reached the precise notion of the teaser that we wanted to lay in there.”

Edited by tv echo

The film broke the pandemic box office record beating BLACK WIDOW's first week box office by $10 million.  Venom: There Will Be Carnage racked in 90.1 million domestically. And here Sony estimated it will take in only $40 million the first week out.  I hope it has legs. 

• Love 2

That was certainly a lot more fun then the last movie, the movie going hard on the wacky really gave it the energy lift that it needed. Not a great movie or anything but I had a lot of fun watching it, which is more than I could say about the first movie.

That post credit scene though...

Spoiler

When they showed J. Jonah Jameson on the TV screen my old  theater burst into applause. Even suspecting that this movie would tie into the big Multiverse of Madness movie, it was still awesome. Poor Peter, doesn't he have enough on his plate?

• Love 3

Went to the actual big screen movie theater this afternoon (we get half price on Tuesdays at the moment!) and was one of three people in quite a large theater to see this. I really enjoyed it and appreciated (1) how it moved right along - very little filler and (2) the fight scenes between Venom and Carnage were far superior CGI to the first movie which was just a mess at the end, IMO. I disagree that Naomie Harris was wasted here and I hope she had fun doing this. Woody Harrelson is just the best - I'll watch him in *anything* and of course that goes without saying regarding Tom Hardy.

The bad: anything having to do with the rest of the Marvel universe. Before the main feature was the big trailer for the next Spiderman (with lots of Dr. Strange thrown in, poor Benedict Cumberbatch :( ) and it looks bloody awful, just awful. Please don't throw the quirky wonderfulness of Venom into that turgid mess of a franchise! (Yah I know, this is falling on entirely deaf ears)

• Love 1

I finally got to see Venom 2 and spent the entire time wondering why Shriek looked like Calypso from the Pirates franchise and it was because it was the same actress.  I wasn’t ever bored the movie went from beat, to beat to beat.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  I won’t miss Anne if Michelle Williams decides to not reprise her role in the series because the breakup between Anne and Eddie has been clearly defined.  I don’t exactly know what the next Venom movie will look like but Andy Serkis did a respectable job directing.

• Love 2

I watched both Venom movies over the weekend, and while I generally think that Venom is kind of dumb and a super dated 90's character who is basically the comic book equivalent of a Mountain Dew commercial. But surprisingly I thought they were actually ok, with the second one being slightly better. The beginning with Eddie and Venom trying to manage their lives together was fun. And I liked how Michelle Williams and her fiance were given more to do, plus that he wasn't killed off so she could get back with Eddie. 

The only thing I didn't like was Carnage. They never really explained why he was so much more powerful than Venom (other than the oh shit he's red line). Plus th whole flashback to the 90's with an actor who looked nothing like 90's era Woody Harrleson was poorly done.

• Love 2

I thought the movie was funny although perhaps a little funnier than it should have been. Then again, it might be best if a movie like this does not take itself too seriously.

The movie definitely suffers from the PG rating though. As I remember from the comics, Carnage lives up to his name and filled the pages with inventive, spiteful, random aggressive killing sprees. This movie should have been more along the lines of Deadpool (if comedic) and/or Logan (if serious). I am not really a fan of blood and guts in movies but with this one I was expecting it and got Carnage-ish instead. Carnage-esque? Carnage-adjacent? You get my drift.

On 12/7/2021 at 6:24 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

The only thing I didn't like was Carnage. They never really explained why he was so much more powerful than Venom (other than the oh shit he's red line).

As I recall from the comics this was simply because the Venom symbiote reproduced on Earth. Apparently that is all one needs to brew a mean symbiote. I wish they had called this out in the movie but Venom seems to be a little clueless about the birds and the bees.

• Love 1

Saw this yesterday, and agree with most of the sentiments above.  This is a dumb B-movie that I still really enjoyed.

The story set up at the beginning could have been smoother with the in progress relationship between Eddie and Cletus, and the Shriek story, but it also didn't matter that much, so at least the movie didn't linger on it and got down to the silliness.  It was actually structured better than the first one.

I thought the funniest bit was Venom hiding in Mrs. Chen.

• Love 2

I needed a cheap laugh so I rented it tonight.

I’ve bitterly resigned myself that Venom, much like Dark Phoenix, is a villain arc that’s never going to be given justice on the big screen like it was on the Spider-Man/X-Men Animated Series. That being said, I was entertained. To be clear, I still hate that they turned him into an antihero, but if this version is an MCU variant, then whatever.

On 12/12/2021 at 11:15 AM, MisterGlass said:

I thought the funniest bit was Venom hiding in Mrs. Chen.

“NOBODY LIKES YOU, DAN!” Hee.

Also laughed my ass off at Venom giving Eddie the finger.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Honestly, I have no idea. He was initially a villain in the original run of the comics, but I haven't kept up with current storylines.

I haven't read Spider-Man Comics in a good long while and, never faithfully. I Googled and, much like Deadpool, Venom went from Villain to Anti-Hero. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I haven't read Spider-Man Comics in a good long while and, never faithfully. I Googled and, much like Deadpool, Venom went from Villain to Anti-Hero. 

Ah ok. But I’d still love a live action movie that lets Venom be a bad guy without sucking.

Also annoyed that they tried to make Cassidy sympathetic. I’m with Venom: “Fuck this guy!”

• LOL 2

Admittedly, I've never been much of a Venom fan, and I find these movies to be goofy.  But they're mildly entertaining enough for me to watch.  My main thought here was Woody Harrelson seemed kind of old here for the role, although he was good.  I also kept thinking he seemed too old for his love interest, Shriek, even though I am not an ageist and don't object to large age differences generally.  But I still got the impression.  Sorry, Woody.  Naomie Harris looks really young for 45.

(edited)
12 hours ago, rmontro said:

Admittedly, I've never been much of a Venom fan, and I find these movies to be goofy.  But they're mildly entertaining enough for me to watch.  My main thought here was Woody Harrelson seemed kind of old here for the role, although he was good.  I also kept thinking he seemed too old for his love interest, Shriek, even though I am not an ageist and don't object to large age differences generally.  But I still got the impression.  Sorry, Woody.  Naomie Harris looks really young for 45.

The weird part is that they set their teen years scene in what was supposed to be the 90's, which is believable for Naomie Harris but not so much for Woody.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

The weird part is that they set their teen years scene in what was supposed to be the 90's, which is believable for Naomie Harris but not so much for Woody.

Apparently sitting on death row in prison ages you worse than sitting in a glass box in prison.