Type keyword(s) to search

You Know You're Obsessed With Once Upon a Time When...

• Start Topic

Pretty much what the thread title suggests.

....when you add red pepper flakes to your lasagna ala Regina.

...when your town's clock has been stuck at eight o'clock for a week and it makes you nervous.

...when you buy a bow (although this one is admittedly part Teen Wolf, Hunger Games and Arrow's fault).

• Love 1

I got a bow too and when I practice I will be listening to Joan Jett

I call my husband Charming all the time now.

Once when my middle child was 3 she asked me how her dad and I met. I started telling her Snow Falls and had her going for quite some time. 

I planted apple trees this spring and snowdrop bulbs around them. 

Just a couple days ago I was thinking we needed a thread like this. My oldest daughter (she's 8) and I were exchanging Once references. (I wish I could remember exactly what we were talking about.)

Don't even get me started on the cosplays. :)

There was a #HookEm tag trending on Twitter awhile back, and my first thought was, "Huh, I've never seen that Captain Swan tag before, what's up with that?" Then, of course, after a few seconds I realized I was a dumb ass and that it was obviously for Texas football. And I was horrified that my sports brain had been superseded.

• Love 1
(edited)

To measure obsession with "Once Upon a Time", would you all say this is your favorite (currently airing) show?  Or the show you are most obsessed with?  Or neither?  Not sure if those two are the same show for everyone.

Edited by Camera One

For me, not my favorite show, nor am I obsessed with it, but I am more hooked on discussing it here and on TwoP before this.  I like talking about it more than I like the actual show, and I know that's kind of weird. 

• Love 2

For me right now, it's both. It's not my favorite show ever of all time but it's my favorite show airing right now, and it's the one I'm most obsessed with (online discussion, fanfic, searching for pics and articles, etc).

• Love 2

It's not my favourite show (I don't think I have one right now), but it's the one I'm more obsessed with. I mean, I spend a ridiculous amount of time in trumblr and I'm even reading fan fiction. I don't know, I think it is because I enjoy the discussion around here very much and because of the great cast.

• Love 1

It's not my favorite show, and it never has been, but I am the most obsessed with it right now. I almost anger-watched some of the episodes in 3B, but I'm not ready to give it up yet... haha 

• Love 2

Certainly not my favorite show right now.  I find that I get more "obsessed" with a show when it has potential that it is failing to live up to or when the quality takes a downturn.  I post more.  I tend to start fic.  I tend to read fic.  But I also like "Fix it" fanfic where everything in canon happened and then tackles the question of either 1) how do you fix it from here or 2) how do you build a parallel universe where everything that happened did occur but it wasn't such a giant cluster. 

Once is rather frustrating in that they tend to close off any routes where they could go back and fix what they didn't do well.  They leave themselves no escape routes at all. So I can't post in the "I wish" thread.  I can't finish fic.  I can't read fic because its all AU.  And yet, I complain.  If it got better, I'd probably go find another forum.

• Love 2

Once is my favorite tv show that's on the air right now. Maybe not an all-time favorite, but I really have almost nothing else to watch right now that's current.

I'm a Disney freak, so Once is like candy to me. I'm also a fantasy buff (LoTR, Narnia, Grimm's), so that's another aspect that keeps me interested. If it were a random small-town drama without fantasy elements, it wouldn't be as exciting for me. I'm a huge fan of deep characters and writing, which is really hard to find. Once is also relatively clean unlike a lot of trash on tv today, so the fact it's a family show draws me as well.

It's a combination of all those things, plus I love the settings and characters. In the beginning I was more into the story and twists, but I now find myself absorbed into my favorite characters! I can't watch a show without strong characters in it.

Once has a ton of flaws, but I'll keep watching because shows like it are hard to come by.

• Love 6

Certainly not my favorite show right now.  I find that I get more "obsessed" with a show when it has potential that it is failing to live up to or when the quality takes a downturn.  I post more.

This is what happens to me too, when I start watching a show with potential and it fails to live up to it, I tend to obsess with it and I try to find ways to fix it.

Once is the show I obsess about the most right now kind of by default. Breaking Bad used to be that show, but it's over now. Boardwalk Empire also used to be a huge obsession, until Terry F***ing Winter had to go and

kill off the only character worth watching: Richard Harrow

. I have some comedies and sitcoms I watch religiously, but I find it hard to obsess over a 20-minute comedy show. I'm catching up on Game of Thrones, Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, and The Wire, but those shows I mainly watch for the great writing and storytelling. Interestingly, though, I haven't been able to latch onto any of the characters on a personal level to actually obsess over those shows.

Which leads me to what actually has to be present in a TV show for me to obsess over it: 

1. The TV show has to have interesting characters that I can analyze to death.
  2. The TV show has to have interesting actors who play those roles who actually care about their characters.
  3. See criterion 1 and 2. Bonus points if the actor/actress is aesthetically pleasing...

I love me some great writing and plots, but it's not what hooks me into a show in the long run - characters are. Which is why Once has managed to become my current obsession, despite the fact that the writing is often clunky, predictable, and frustrating. If you give me characters like Hook, Emma, Charming, and Rumple, I'll be putty in your hands. But be warned, Once. If you ever do anything to piss me off and mess with my favorite characters to the point where they're unrecognizable or a shell of their former selves, I'll drop you faster than I did with Supernatural 

after Season 6 decided to give Castiel an awful storyline and I found myself hating a show I once obsessed over

• Love 2

My 10 year old daughter and I are admittedly obsessed.  See my avatar pic?  That's my daughter as Emma Swan. 

For Halloween last year, she was Emma Swan, my son was Captain Hook (before they were dating, that would have been weird) and my littlest one was Henry.  My daughter's best friend was Ella, with Alexandra.  And my little sister was Snow White.  I was the Evil Queen.  For my daughter's birthday, we made a 24 minute Once Upon a Time episode and had a red carpet showing with autograph signing and everything.  (I'm a videographer)

In my entire life, I have never seen this level of obsession with a show.  This year, my mom found a red leather jacket for my daughter.  She's bummed it is summer and she can't wear it yet.

I have recorded and saved every single episode, which we have watched all of them more than once.  Even my boys (ages 4 and 8) love it.  It's deinitely weird how much we love it.

Oh, and I actually wrote fanfiction for this show!

• Love 4

I ended up dressing as Emma when we took my nephew out for Halloween this past year, mostly because I could throw a costume together with stuff I already owned. (Jeans, white T-shirt, snowboots as a quick substitute, red leather jacket that was my Nana's). I hadn't intended on dressing up at all, but when your three-year-old nephew asks you what you're going to be on the Saturday before Halloween, you can't say "nothing." ;)

My sister took one look at me and said, "I love it!"

• Love 1

That's awesome that you could do that Dani-Ellie.  And awesome that your sister loved it.  Very few people knew who my kids and I were.  My costume was also hobbled together because at the last minute they wanted me to play along.  Since I make costumes, I had a large supply of things to pull from.  I had a leather corset, and a long piece of stretchy gray fabric that I turned into a wrap skirt and prayed it wouldn't fall off.  I took a rectangle of black velvet and added a clasp to the top corners and made my self an instant cape.  I had a black turban leftover from a play so I hid my light hair up in that and added a lot of heavy make-up.  Instant Evil Queen. 

My daughter's costume was a red jacket (we didn't have a leather one yet at that point), skinny jeans, brown leather boots, a long blond wig, and a sheriff's badge.  Captain Hook didn't have the leather jacket, but I made him a big blousy black shirt with the ties in the front and at the ends of the sleeves to hide the end of his hook, as well as lots of eye make-up, painted on stubble, and of course some jewelery, including a clip-on earring.  My son was surprisingly excited about make-up and jewelery.  The little one had a blue plaid button up shirt with jeans, a black wool jacket, a striped scarf, a green backpack, and the Once Upon a Time book, which Emma carried most of the time.  Snow White was her bandit self, and her costume was my favorite.  I took an adult cream blouse, and added fabric ties to the sleeves.  A faux-fur vest with a thick brown stretch belt with a giant leather clasp covered most of it.  She wore skinny khakis, and knee-high camel colored leather boots.  I made her a floor-length hooded cape, and she wore a long dark wig.  She also had a wooden bow with a fabric quiver full of arrows.  (I made the quiver from rolled up cardboard covered in fabric.)

I know some people go super crazy trying to be exactly like the characters on TV (some of hte Comic-Con costumes are amazing!) but we just went with a similar look.  Anyone that knew the show knew who we were, and if you didn't know the show, it didn't matter. 

• Love 1
(edited)

There is a button that looks like a mountain peak that gives you the option to post a link to an image. I've used it in other forums but hadn't seen much in the way of photos posted here. 

Yes, I made my Bandit Snow costume. Most of the vest came from repurposed leather garments. My daughter's Emma is mostly store bought stuff but I did cast the swan pendant out of pewter. (I made it a long time ago and it wasn't quite right but close enough.) I made my husband Charming's adventuring outfit too but I don't have as good a picture of him. 

Edited by MedievalGirl
There was a #HookEm tag trending on Twitter awhile back, and my first thought was, "Huh, I've never seen that Captain Swan tag before, what's up with that?" Then, of course, after a few seconds I realized I was a dumb ass and that it was obviously for Texas football.

I guess I'd fail on obsession on that one because I immediately knew it had to be about Texas sports, but then I went to the University of Texas, so "Hook 'em" is kind of ingrained.

I have to say that this is probably not my favorite show, but has become more of an obsession to discuss/analyze because I've discussed and analyzed my other favorite shows to death and needed to take a break. I also seem to keep ending up on convention panels related to it because fairy tales are one of my things. Really, that was the only reason I kept watching during season 2 when the Regina worship and victim blaming ramped up. It was a professional obligation. Now it's fun to analyze, and there's stuff that I do enjoy in the show even if there's still a lot of stuff that makes me stabby. Most of all, I love the potential of it.

When you're a few months into the summer hiatus, nothing really new has happened, and you're still here. On the boards. Discussing this show. Still.

( Or maybe that means I'm obsessed more with the conversation on the boards than the actual show? Ya, I like that better. Let's go with that. Somehow that sounds less crazy ;) )

• Love 7

I guess I'd fail on obsession on that one because I immediately knew it had to be about Texas sports, but then I went to the University of Texas, so "Hook 'em" is kind of ingrained.

I should hope so! My first thought would have been Texas football a mere six months ago, too, because I know my college sports. But then I fell off the shipper wagon, and things changed. Apparently it also rewired my brain.

I recognize that Once isn't anywhere NEAR the best show I watch. For whatever reason, I've never really obsessed over whatever "best" show I'm watching at any given time. Maybe because those shows are so good, I can simply accept them for what they are. I didn't need to spin mental wheels on filling in blanks or making things make sense. But when there's potential, like you say, my brain wants that potential to be realized, so it spends time trying to make that happen.

• Love 4

I recognize that Once isn't anywhere NEAR the best show I watch. For whatever reason, I've never really obsessed over whatever "best" show I'm watching at any given time. Maybe because those shows are so good, I can simply accept them for what they are. I didn't need to spin mental wheels on filling in blanks or making things make sense. But when there's potential, like you say, my brain wants that potential to be realized, so it spends time trying to make that happen.

This is accurate, I tend to become far more obsessed with shows that are not doing what I want. Supernatural, Fringe, Sleepy Hollow I just watch and enjoy. No digging for spoilers or deep discussion.

Smallville and now OUAT I obsess, spoiler hunt, discuss, pick apart, ship, etc.

• Love 2

Honestly, my relationship with this show is like no other on TV. Its by far not the best show I watch, I can name like 10 off the top of my head that are much MUCH better. I have plenty of unhealthy TV obsessions to go around, and for shows that have earned it a lot more. And yet...I spend so much dang time thinking about this show, analyzing it, going over what it does right, and what it does wrong, looking for spoilers, reading interviews, and posting on these boards. Its almost like this is my little show that could. Like, I am rooting so hard for it to get better, because it has so much potential, and there are still so many characters that I care about. And even when this show is bad, its so interestingly bad. When it fails, it fails so hugely and bizarrely that I cant look away. I just love figuring out just how badly things have gone.But when it succeeds, its like a huge triumph for everyone involved. Including me. Good or bad, its just so dang entertaining.    

The only thing that keeps me clinging to sanity is knowing that I`m not alone in this!  

• Love 14

I am quite fond of Outlander and have been posting a lot there. I find it a delightful happenstance that this section of Outlander ends the day before Once starts up again. Jamie is giving Prince Charming a run for his money in my heart.  However, my DH won't wear a kilt and still smiles when I call him "Baron Charming" so maybe not.   :)

I am quite fond of Outlander and have been posting a lot there. I find it a delightful happenstance that this section of Outlander ends the day before Once starts up again. Jamie is giving Prince Charming a run for his money in my heart. However, my DH won't wear a kilt and still smiles when I call him "Baron Charming" so maybe not. :)

We just got 3 free months on Stars and I discovered Outlander during today's marathon. I SO understand where you're coming from only I see more similarity between Jamie and Killian.

I discovered that my OUaT obsession was strong when my office was fully decorated in OUaT stuff during a recent birthday (and no one at work watches it). They get me.

When you're sitting in the theater waiting for Star Wars: TFA to start and you find yourself wondering what it would be like if that was Killian's first time seeing a movie on the big screen. Henry's too, probably (in 'reality' rather than fake memories).

I've been saying Bloody Hell for ages now, between Monty Python, Who's Line Is It Anyway, BtVS, Love, Actually, and Harry Potter.

• Love 1

When you're sitting in the theater waiting for Star Wars: TFA to start and you find yourself wondering what it would be like if that was Killian's first time seeing a movie on the big screen. Henry's too, probably (in 'reality' rather than fake memories)

Or, you're watching The Force Awakens and think what a coincidence it is

that Killian Jones and the inspiration for his character both end up skewered.

• Love 2

You are watching The Devil wears Prada and recognize Rebecca Mader as an assistant dresser in the "blue is not blue" scene with the FABulous Meryl Streep and think "so that's were she learned to be eeeevil"!

• Love 4
(edited)
38 minutes ago, elle said:

You are watching The Devil wears Prada and recognize Rebecca Mader as an assistant dresser in the "blue is not blue" scene with the FABulous Meryl Streep and think "so that's were she learned to be eeeevil"!

Does Hades wear Prada? ;)

You know you're obsessed when your bad day is turned around the moment you see the Spoilers Only thread has a new post. (Unless it's one of Adam's script teases, of course.)

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2
On 5/6/2016 at 10:10 PM, KingOfHearts said:

Does Hades wear Prada? ;)

Prada does have a men's line, so...

Ykyowts, when after watching the last episode, you reconsider a post you made because you realize that if "Zelena" actually had learned anything from "Miranda" in the above mentioned movie, she would have done everything she wanted to do and made everyone, including Regina, feel that they still couldn't live up to her expectations. (not to mention that in the movie Rebecca Mader was acting as early Zelena, desperate to please everyone, well "Mranda")

...and you feel you must share your new thoughts with everyone here!